Gas Turbine Trucks

gizmag.com/nikola-motor-company/43261/

We jettrucks now.

Other urls found in this thread:

eahart.com/prius/psd/
youtube.com/watch?v=iDtH_4SqjKc
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

>not powered by a giant coil getting free power from the underground mole people
0/10 not a true Tesla fan company

it looks like its trying to be a limo

the fuck u saying bout my truck

wait
wouldnt this just make them less fuel efficient
arent diesel engines very fuel efficient?

god that thing is ugly, and seriously
>Nikola Motors
How fucking original, might as well have got with
>Edison Motors

Looks like a maintenance nightmare F A M
>Cab over design
>Seems like you can't tip the cabine forwards to access the engine, like on an euro or jap truck
>FUCKING GAS TURBINE

Gas turbines are basically maintenance free if you set them up right. The gas turbine itself, anyway. There's no seals whatsoever to wear out; the only thing really getting stressed would be the bearings (you better be statically greasing those) and the walls exposed to high heat I guess-

The most failure points could be in the anciliary systems feeding the turbine. Fuel injectors, spark plugs, that kinda thing. But if you give it like the most basic type of attention, it ought to be almost unbreakable.

This.
>I'm just going to say some stuff and hope it's correct

You know what turbines would be really good for? Hybrid vehicles. Especially with this PDS gearbox thing that Toyota uses in the Prius and other cars that use the same engine.
eahart.com/prius/psd/
>install a relatively large turboshaft engine with like 150kw
>crank the gas turbine to the most fuel efficient setting and just let it sit there forever
>regulate speed through the electric motors entirely
>infinite torks
>piss easy maintenance
>long range

>Not driving a Mercedes Colani future truck from the 90's.

>That visibility.

I remember that thing from Binary Domain

pretty sure it is a hybrid

SO FUTURISTIC

It would be a breath of fresh air for sure. The only reasons trucks barely bother with aero is that at the kind of weight they are pushing at the kind of speeds they are going, air resistance becomes negligible in the face of the kind of diesel they burn just to move at all.. That and length restrictions.

They would look scary in your rear-mirror too.

Actually, it's that truckers don't like change or regulation of any sort. Most modern trucks are surprisingly aerodynamic, but don't look like it because REEEE I DUN WAN CHANGE ON MUH TRUCKS.

Am I the only one who actually thinks it looks kind of cool?

V A P O R

My company has looked at a cng fleet.

We would do it in a heart beat. If it was a lease option with maintenance contract.

We would kill for some CNG hybrid tugs.

>30,000rpm turbine shaft
>bouncing down the road
What could possibly go wrong?

>The only reasons trucks barely bother with aero is that at the kind of weight they are pushing at the kind of speeds they are going, air resistance becomes negligible in the face of the kind of diesel they burn just to move at all.

>idle at 6% load/0.66gph
>65mph at 25% load/10gph

U wot?

The truck in OP has nothing to do with CNG.

Yeah, what could go wrong actually?

It's actually that the back end matters more for aerodynamics

In this country lots of larger companies are buying aerodynamic trailers. The 10% saving in fuel matters when diesel costs £1.10 per litre.

>those windshield wipers

Wrightspeed already does this.

>2000hp/3700 torqs
>1200 mile range
>hauls 80,000lb
>runs on gas, diesel, or CNG
>"could cut fueling costs in half compared to the typical diesel engine.
Sounds neat, if the 3D render ever makes it into production

>dual-bed sleeper
>full-size fridge/freezer combo
>microwave
>42" TV
>4G LTE intarwebs and Wi-Fi
Clearly targeting the owner-operator

They do, but there are probably benefits to designing a truck to be gas-electric from the ground up instead of trying to retrofit a gas-electric drivetrain into existing vehicles.

Existing vehicles have the benefit of actually existing, though.

add in Tesla's autopilot.

so the driver can relax some on the interstate.

If it had Tesla's autopilot, the driver might not exist. I'm thinking all the long-haul highway miles will be completely automated in the not-too-distant future, with drivers hopping in at the warehouse gates or at the edge of town to finish reeling 'er in once you get off the highway.

Hell, you could remote-control it like a predator drone once it got to the warehouse's "airspace." Probably doesn't matter with an 80,000-pound consist, but I bet you could still save quite a bit of weight if you got rid of the driver, cab, and amenities.

You need a robot that can check slack adjusters first.

>plasma
just get some plastic and make a wing.

Nah, you still have a person at the warehouse inspect the robo-truck before slapping 'er on the ass and sending her off. Or maybe remote-control her to the highway on-ramp before letting robo-drive take over.

I see it

trailer tails suck

As if that futuristicofantasticothing will ever get launched,along with its jet engine (cars with jet engines have existed though,nothing new)

And as if anyone will buy this thing

ayy lmao

youtube.com/watch?v=iDtH_4SqjKc

The seats don't point forward?

Those crazy germans.

dafuq is that?

overhead catenary.

so electric trucks can drive along with out needing batteries.

That's always a stupid idea.
Applying that to the existing trucks can cause
>more traffic as most countries have a separate track for them and makes the line even more slower.
>can't take a highway rest for obvious reasons
>neither you or a truck behind you can pass a truck at the front
>these things obviously plug into the main grid and thus drains a lot more electricity plunging the country into more losses.

attach the system to hybrid trucks and put up catenary on highways from ports/railheads to outside the city limits.

Reduce emissions with in the city.

uhh its probably for recharging hybrid vehicles. so that they use less fuel.

All of the stuff you nagged about could be solved by giving the thing a small battery pack that can carry it like 20 miles by itself. Except for the last point which is just utterly retarded. Over here the trucks are legally required to stay on the rightmost lane for like half of all highway tracks anyway, so who gives a shit.

I assume the idea is it'll be lighter.