Daily reminder that coasting in neutral will result in premature transmission wear

Daily reminder that coasting in neutral will result in premature transmission wear

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=5piYEX-jRt4
auto.howstuffworks.com/automatic-transmission10.htm
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Daily reminder that Veeky Forums is not the place to go for correct information.

who would do that?

daily reminder to shut the FUCK up.

Why wouldn't I just leave it in "D"?

How do I get the D?
All I have is 1-5 and R

It's right in between "N", and those useless number things.

>Daily reminder that I'm a fucking moron and have no idea how a manual tranny works

ftfy

Doesn't damage transmission but there is literally zero reason to ever coast in neutral. Let the momentum of the car carry the load of the engine instead of idling and not being able to accelerate.

Coasting in neutral = worse mpg every time

Pretty much this.
Nice projection lad.

Not if your car has a bad o2 sensor and is stuck in open loop. Anything that isnt idol at that point is waisting a LOT of fule.

>there is literally zero reason to ever coast in neutral
True.
>Doesn't damage transmission
When the transmission is splash lubricated via input shaft speed, it absolutely does.

Even if the engine is stuck in open loop why the fuck would it dump gas into the cylinders when zero throttle is being applied and it's maintaining rpm by momentum

>doesn't know how a manual works

Allow me to direct you back to...but you already knew that, didn't you?

No, it doesn't.

The input shaft is spinning at the same speed whether you're in gear or not, bud.

Daily reminder he's talking about autos.

Not when you're in neutral, and it's turning the same speed as an idling engine, genius.

>that spelling

i only coast when there is red light, is that fine?

>implying all modern manual transmissions don't contain constant mesh gearsets
You fucking nigger.

I didn't imply that at all, nimrod.

>implying the torque converter and hydraulic pump aren't spinning when an automatic transmission is in neutral

>implying the gearbox still isn't connected to the wheels.

Yes you did, faggot.

For manual transmission lubrication to be functional, the gearsets must be rotating. You
>imply
in neutral that isn't the case. Motherfucker, every single transmission in use today is constant mesh. Additionally, they are linked to the wheels via the differential. QED, there is lubrication when coasting in neutral.

Go fuck yourself.

>implying that matters in an auto.
The engine continues to spin, or do you not have a car?

This

Anyway the more important question is which Veeky Forums cucks can't downshit.

>>implying that matters in an auto.
It most certainly does.
There are too many components that can wear from shifting to N-D while moving (which is possible)
You only need to touch the brake to shift from D to N.

>There are too many components that can wear from shifting to N-D while moving (which is possible)
No.

All you have are some hydraulic solenoids which either open or close. Shifting to neutral from drive while rolling won't damage anything.

Yeah..Thus lubricating. The input shaft and entire counter shaft are still spinning over 16 times a second.

>All you have are some hydraulic solenoids which either open or close.

>ignores the clutch packs

This may help you.
Somehow most of Veeky Forums neglected to learn how their cars work.
youtube.com/watch?v=5piYEX-jRt4

you're braindead. the clutch packs are only getting used when in that certain gear, in which case they are getting lubed. in neutral no pack is moving.

youve been btfo go away already.

>go away already.
so i can stop rekting you?
auto.howstuffworks.com/automatic-transmission10.htm

further, when in neutral or off the gas coasting the input shaft isn't moving because there's a torque converter. so your argument is even more retarded.

and dcts dont have clutch packs inside the engine.

>>ignores the clutch packs
What do you think controls the clutch packs?

Hydraulic solenoids. Of course there is some wear which is why you change the hydraulic fluid on a regular basis.

>Hydraulic solenoids.
When you open them while the car is moving where do you think the wear is going to go?
hmm?
>input shaft isn't moving because there's a torque converter.
The output shaft is still moving retard.

>and dcts dont have clutch packs inside the engine.
What the fuck are you smoking?

notice the part where it says the clutch packs are engaged with oil? no gear selected, no clutch pack turning. learn to read. you're wrong, you've been wrong since your first post. bye now.

>notice the part where it says the clutch packs are engaged with oil?
Jesus christ how do you function with a brain this dead?

How about you slam your shitbox into drive while it's coasting a couple times and see how long the gearbox lasts. Maybe that'll learn you.

dcts don't have clutch packs, or planetary gears, like a slushbox.
they have a dual clutch where a standard clutch would be. it's a constant wet clutch. the rest of the transmission looks like a manual. I guess you're learning now.

>dcts don't have clutch packs, or planetary gears, like a slushbox.
I'm commenting on his statement about having clutches in an engine fag.
>clutch packs inside the engine.
>clutch packs inside the engine.
>inside the engine
What the fuck?

>changing goal posts
you said coasting in neutral with a manual, got btfo. then you switched to coasting in neutral with an automatic, got btfo. now youre switching to repeatedly going from drive to neutral.

it was stupid to even switch to automatics since no one puts their auto in neutral.

>now he has to focus on an obvious mistype
lol absolutely 100% btfo

>>changing goal posts
lol when

>you said coasting in neutral with a manual
I never said anything about manual, that's another poster.

>got btfo
lol

>then you switched to coasting in neutral with an automatic
Coasting in neutral with an automatic can damage the gearbox because the car has to return to drive at some point and more often then not, drivers do it while the thing is fucking moving.

>got btfo
kek

>now youre switching to repeatedly going from drive to neutral.
In fact, in my original post, that's what the fuck i said.
>There are too many components that can wear from shifting to N-D while moving (which is possible)
>You only need to touch the brake to shift from D to N.

>it was stupid to even switch to automatics since no one puts their auto in neutral.
People think it saves gas. They put it in neutral.

Yeah no, i'm trying to understand what the actual fuck you're saying.
What does the erroneous statement about clutches being in an engine have to do with transmission wear?

Yes, OP is talking about retards who put it in neutral at the top of a big hill.

I always let it coast when I'm driving on the highway and a light goes red, does it really fuck with the transmission?

friendly reminder that driving will ruin your fucking car

Not enough to make a big difference

Many people here on Veeky Forums

>traffic jam on a hill
>annoying as shit going up
>HARRY, I'VE REACHED THE TOP
>just take my foot off the brake too inch forward down the hill

With regard to manual transmissions, there might be some situations where you're on a slope that's steep enough to keep you at the speed limit but not steep enough to overcome the engine braking you would get from being in gear. Needs some proper testing though I think

>how do I get the D?
Come over here bb I'll show you