/agdg/ - Amateur Game Dev General

Rigged Poll Edition

>Space Jam is over. Play games and leave feedback.
itch.io/jam/agdg-space-jam

>Next Demo Day (X)
itch.io/jam/agdg-demo-day-10

Helpful Links: tools.aggydaggy.com/# (Still in beta, as if that's an excuse)
New Threads: Archive: boards.fireden.net/vg/search/subject/agdg/
SoundCloud: soundcloud.com/groups/agdg-audiofriends

>Previous Demo Days
pastebin.com/X6fLvtzA

>Previous Jams
pastebin.com/hVhvNWLw

>Chats
discord.gg/chquY2e
steamcommunity.com/groups/vgamedevcrew
webchat.freenode.net/?channels=vidyadev

>Engines
GameMaker: yoyogames.com/gamemaker
Godot: godotengine.org/
Haxe: haxeflixel.com/
LÖVE: love2d.org/
UE4: unrealengine.com/what-is-unreal-engine-4
Unity: unity3d.com/

> Models/art/textures/sprites
opengameart.org/
blender-models.com/
mayang.com/textures/

>Free audio
machinimasound.com/
freesound.org/browse/
incompetech.com/music/
freemusicarchive.org/

Other urls found in this thread:

vocaroo.com/i/s0QwDToARHmD
vocaroo.com/i/s1DcqxFkFt64
vocaroo.com/i/s1cj6Aceu4C5
vocaroo.com/i/s0dy0RGMfcJm
soundcloud.com/user-143404129/fairy-forest
learncpp.com/
codeblocks.org/downloads/26
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

1st for learning blender

Copied from the last thread so it doesnt get buried:

Worked on UI a bit, added edges to the tiles when they're unexplored, improved the camera (like I always do...), removed the fur

>open Blender for the first time in a while and you've forgotten all the hotkeys

Well, this "art day" for me is almost over. Finished off with a new rough track. I wish I had money for better soundfonts or plugins for FL Studio, but this will do for now.
vocaroo.com/i/s0QwDToARHmD

I couldn't get the Derelict bindings for Allegro 5 working

I am very tempted to go back to C, but I love the unit testing features of D, also GC'd OOP is really convenient even if it is a crutch

Looks neat, but the actions/Inventory/Stats box is angled too steeply imo, it's hard to read.

>not writing all the most common hotkeys down on paper as you learn them
>not using said paper as a cheat sheet

There's also a huge image with all the hotkeys floating around

Oh yeah, I saw that pic floating around a few times. That image didn't have the secret hotkeys on it, though. Which I find incredibly useful for Blender, I can barely use it without them.

The controls are so fucking ridiculously unintuitive. Pretty sad, could've been pretty good.

Look nice, and the music is kinda depressing ;_;
Also how her legs stay in the same position while jumping and falling feels kinda weird for me.

looks good.
I'd ditch the pixel icons though. clean to on icon would fit nicer

How does a know-nothing beginner start on a project like Va-11 hall-a? Something visual novely / gameplay light. Just focus all my efforts on learning to draw and then start making the actual game in a year or two? Or make the game placeholder stick figures or something

>secret hotkeys

What meme magic is this?

>spend a few hours total diddling around in blender
>take a full semester in maya
>still wonder why maya isn't more like blender

It's even worse when you have to switch between Blender and Unity/Unreal/literally-anything-else and have to unlearn/re-learn everything.

Will fix

Icons are placeholders but what the hell does " clean to on icon" mean?

first for

making a game fun is actually hard work

>Took me 2 days to get motivated to do any work.
>Took me like 3 damn hours just to get collision to work and a text box to appear.

Still, I'm pretty excited about this project but it's scope keeps getting bigger so I really need to scale down since I still have no clue what it's actually gonna be.

You can always learn the basics of game maker, games like that are more easy to make than the others (when talking about programming) because they barely have any collision thing, so is really hard to get the most common bugs.

cool
but still
>pixel platformer

there are multiple ways you could approach it

no matter what you do, either learn to draw (there are books on this) or find someone who can

then you can approach from the vn perspective, or the code perspective

If you are a total beginner, working with renpy and MS-paint will produce something shitty, but at least you will have made something.

>tfw you put so much thought into assets and UI you forgot to make the game fun

Whoops

I'm not an artist, but if it's anything like the coding side of things, it's because proprietary shitware is shit and open source dominates. Unfortunately this doesn't seem to carry over to the audio guys, sucks for them.

How? Maya doesn't exactly lack any features that Blender has, and has a less fucked up UX.
It's like you want shit UX.

The player is going to glide and dash a lot but I don't want to make the mech too futuristic(ZoE), which makes jet nozzles kind of required, so I figured I slap a jet-engine in there to make it look more functional.
Arms are going to have more details but this is basically the "naked" player-character. The player will be able to slap different types of armor on(light, med, heavy), like the ab-armor you see.

Still very new to 3D modeling, only completed one model and it looked and moved like shit.

webm related

>Not knowing clean to on icon

I meant Toon*
Something in the style of your buttons

blender's UI/UX was made for crab people
Maya is only a little better

stuff like Wings3D (free as in freedom!) has a great UI but can only do a few things. It is a screwdriver rather than a swiss army knife,

Reposting cockpit controls with a bunch of useless flickering/moving lights and external view monitor to let you know what’s going on with the robot (and to show the animations). Every button/lever is working except the blue one which will be used to raise the shield. I also need to add a few more levers and cranks. I’m thinking of making this “BOOST” switch that would let you make the next button you press “stronger” (move forward faster, punch harder, shoot faster, etc.).

Are there any examples where sprites change their leg positioning? This comment seems to be consistent, so it might be a problem.

Sorry for depressing music. It's definitely an atmospheric focused game I'm visualizing. Have some more tracks:
vocaroo.com/i/s1DcqxFkFt64
vocaroo.com/i/s1cj6Aceu4C5
vocaroo.com/i/s0dy0RGMfcJm

Ah haha okay; yeah that's the plan sooner or later. Have a million other things to focus on first.

Blender's UI is so bad it's like they did everything the opposite of Maya just out of spite because they're open-source.

GIMP is the same way

Does photoshop have a bad UI? yes it does

but GIMP... GIMP is worse.

yes, exactly. great comparison

those programs are opensource, you can make them exactly the way you want

Which datatype am I looking for here?

-needs the ability to very quickly add/remove members via an ID
-needs to be editable while iterating over it

Lists are too slow and dictionaries can't be edited while iterating

Strange, I use GIMP and I seem to be okay with it. Though, I used it first before Photoshop.
Photoshop is more reliable though in my past experiences.

I think having the legs in front like pic related would look more natural

It's also perfectly okay if sprites don't transition smoothly from one frame to the next. Remember how Megaman's running and jumping sprites weren't completely different with no in-between? Even fighting game sprites like Guilty Gear? Give it a try and see how it looks

This is the worst excuse
>it's shit but you can bust your ass off "fixing" it while other programs are already perfect out of the box

>weren't
were*

might as well ask in the new thread
>which of these two brick-work textures looks more grimey/dirty/unpleasant to the touch?
>the artifacted one (left)
>or
>the un-artifacted one (right)

I made another song, this one's the theme for the forest. It's the last song I'm gonna do for now, I gonna buckle down on the level itself after.
soundcloud.com/user-143404129/fairy-forest

maya is proprietary closed source

blender's code is a total clusterfuck

I assume GIMP is too or someone would have fixed it already

wings3d has a nice UI already. You could make the argument it needs more features, but I think it is fine as a very purpose driven tool. It does one thing and one thing only, but does it very well.

>dictionaries can't be edited while iterating
unless you're talking about editing the key, that sounds false

if you are, then maybe you should just be storing a list of structs

You can always search for sprite sheet of games with similar movements in google.
Megaman for example have one leg extended and the other flexed for the impulse, but both are partially extended during the fall trying to get to the floor standing, and that looks a bit more natural.

this sounds nice

I'm removing key/value pairs while iterating over the dictionary

That's pretty cool, make it less wacky and you could turn it into a really unique horror game.
>stuck in a giant mech on an alien planet
>can't get out
>dark as fuck
>eldritch abomination everywhere
>don't want to get out
>co-pilots are dead
>you have to take care of piloting, fighting and recon

also, completely seperate from my texture query, here's some basic progress.
This some age-old dungeon crawler type shit

can't you just get a list of dictionary keys and iterate over the keys instead of the dictionary itself?

there's also the vector class (in C++, not sure what it's called elsewhere) which is just a list but can also be accessed as an array

I see.
Thanks for the examples anons. Will work on improving that animation.

Cool blur effect

Left one looks better, but neither looks grimy or dirty, mostly just low-res and poorly-made

Wut u make dis wit?

Unity (4.7.X); Shuriken Particle System.
I have it's emission set to distance based and I have an issue that when I start the system it creates a trail from where object spawned to where it is now. Any ideas on how I can stop that? (I want it to start emitting from scratch)

>Left one looks better, but neither looks grimy or dirty, mostly just low-res and poorly-made
yes, I suppose a better word for it would have been "low-fidelity" rather than dirty

looks a little too constant, in general, for both of them
it's hard to recommend the blurry one unless you plan to touch it up more somehow and add effects, because that would be hard to look at closeup in a game like DM where you're often 2 feet away from a giant wall

I think hunting for cool fonts is the funnest part of making UI

>which is just a list
C++ vectors are not lists, it's contiguous memory, pretty much a resizable array

make a second container where you add the keys you'd like to remove while you're iterating over your dictionairy and remove them later

Fusion 2.5.
To let you know what kind of games are possible, Freedom Planet was made with it.

well, I mean how it can be used, not how it works

I could see it happening knowing how I like to make creepy shit and it would transition nicely into the xenophobia theme of "filthy mexicans" to "fucking monsters that feed on corpses".

Space has just as many different races to worry about lol

dialogue system, mostly complete.

I think its really going to be the end for me. What can I do?

you seriously need animations
it looks horrible at the moment, no offense.

But do you want to have to change the source code just to get the applications UI to be good? It's not exactly an easy task to change an entire UI.

I mean, if you downloaded Photoshop, you'd probably be inclined to change after using it for a while, I don't think the same thing can be said for the other way around (unless you're actually paying for Photoshop, in which case you probably would be more inclined to change.) I believe GIMP also has a toggle to make it look similar to Photoshop, probably to help Photoshop users to make the change if they want, but I also think that should be the default UI for GIMP.

Blender is a literal blender, they want it to be everything. It has modeling, a game engine and video editing all in one application. It's fucking stupid, just decouple it to make a suite of software instead, jesus christ.

make a gun and shoot yourself

my 3d printer can only print plastic

There's nothing wrong with the two relevant parts of it though.

I don't know why blender causes such ass-pain to people.

In terms of skill necessary to make a game, how hard is it to program a game?

Where do I start if I've never programmed a game before?

It works! kind of

I don't know anymore.

I like the visuals of the diagonal text.
But i feel like that going to get annoying

Well, for me it's because as soon as I open it and realize that the viewport controls are different from every other 3D app in existence, I close it. I am not an artist though.

we're pretty dialogue light, and you can skip if you don't care, so I think it's fine.

AI?
Whats going on here?

learncpp.com/
codeblocks.org/downloads/26

Depends what kind of game, regardless, still difficult.

I've been learning GM:S but I want to mess around with some ideas for mobile games. I can't afford the mobile modules though.

What free alternatives would my GM knowledge easily translate to?

I know Java at an intermediate level. Why should I learn C++ for game development?

because there are no good game libraries for java, the strengths of the language are not the types of things that games require, and no one likes having to install java or run .jar files

unity can build straight to android devices with minimal effort.

dont bother though, the mobile market doesn't care about interesting games and you won't make any money solo, so whether you're there to make money or there to be creative your time is wasted.

Shitty programming is invisible from the players perspective.
Shitty art is visible.

Love2D if you don't mind getting your hands dirty and programming a bit.

>Why should I learn C++ for game development?
It's the most relevant language for game-dev.
Templates are better than generics.
No Gosling absurdity with awful design choices.
Tons and tons of libraries in all spectrums of dev.
Gosling fucked up trying to make his own C++ with it.
UE4 uses it if you ever want to try 3D dev.
As well as many open-source engines if you want to try your hand at that.

There's really no reason not to use C++ for gamedev.

I tried to tackle AI for the first time. I'm just trying to make the red boxes move randomly to an empty spot on the grid. It doesn't really work because it goes through my player object and I messed up the movement (it doesn't stop exactly on a cell on the grid). I know how to fix the movement thing, but I'm actually confused on how I'm going to deal with the player since they all move at the same time. What if they move to the same square?

well they can't move at the exact same time if they're on the same thread, so just check if the square is empty or not

Currently adding some music controller features requested by my audio man.

>20fps is invisible
>bugs are invisible
>lagspikes are invisible
>retarded ai is invisible
>not being able to support your game post-release because the codebase is horrible is invisible

i bet you think programmers should work for free but artists should be paid too.

The part that's not stolen from Kiss From a Rose is pretty uninspired. Also there's a shit ton of good and free samples for glocken/marimba/xylophone type instruments, same for strings. Both can also be synthetized with free vsts

are you only running the game when the player moves? because that's a bad way to set it up.

You should always be running the game loop, and when the player makes a move trigger all other entities to make their moves instead, this way you can have idle animations etc. and enemies will always reach their target tile since they aren't tied to the player moving.

how much post processing is enough ?

leaving aside the whole why do artists get paid debate (it's because programmers are worth more on the open market, among other reasons), as long as the code gets the job done, no one cares if it's beautiful or spaghetti. but since all people have some kind of design sense except bokudev, they will notice badly made art.

Rotating sprites is hard

Please someone post an image making fun of code monkeys. They always motivate me.

As long as the code works and the game runs fine it doesn't matter how well optimized the code is
Meanwhile shitty art is immediately noticed by everyone.

So now if you kill or push back your opponent's front line, you can advance and steal that column for your own team. The only real benefit to doing so right now is better range control, but I'll add more incentives eventually.

if the code gets the job done it's not bad code

spaghetti code will objectively slow you the fuck down. you can preach 'dont worry about learning to code' all you want but if you're shit at coding its gonna bottleneck the shit out of your project.

>They always motivate me.
How? You wouldn't even understand it.

user your game looks like trash but you keep posting thinking all these shitty effects look good on it...

I don't know what/have never seen Kiss from a Rose before, user.