Weekend Projects

Hey Veeky Forums what are you working on this weekend?

Yesterday I pulled out the auto trans for the manual swap as well as the rear diff. Got the new rear diff installed. Going to be working on the engine today. Need to check some valve lash and hopefully all checks out and I can just start piecing it back together.

Unfucking the electrical in my MR2
dropping a new head on my Saab
Hopefully, the Metro and Z3 will pass smog as well

My donor engine had lost time in its accident and had bent valves in 1 and 3. Pulled both sides off and ordered new valves. Then sent the heads to the machine shop. They came back looking great. Replaced the bent valves, cleaned the rest and lapped the seats. New valve stem seals, head-gaskets and bolts went on.

What went wrong on the Saab?

Nothing, I'm broke as fuck. And I don't have the body strength to get the shit off I want to replace.

Glad I ordered an entire engine gasket kit because the old exhaust gaskets were done for. New ones are shiny!

My buddy took an artistic shot of my bent valves, surprisingly only piston 1 showed any sign of the strike. The damage was minimal and sanded out quite easily.

My donor. Please note that I am not swapping the stickers over as well.

To continue this. Anyone have any suggestions for a decent priced air compressed tool set. Or an alternative. I have several bolts I can't off for shit despite having several sized cheater bars.

It was easy to pull the engine after cutting the front of the car off. This all took place a while back. Took me quite some time to swap the wiring harness over, the whole engine bay harness on the donor was literally cut in half and needed to be soldered.

OP here, I have a Kobalt compressor and impact gun. I think its rated for something like 750-850 ft-lbs. It usually makes short work of stuck bolts. If that fails there is always PB Blaster and tossing a cheater onto your cheater.

I've thought about multi cheater, but I worry about stripping the bolts. And they aren't smaller ones that I could putt a stripped bolt tool on. They are 19mm and 22mm.

Before I got to pulling the wiring from the donor.

PB blast and let soak, even give em some taps, then blast again. Make sure to use the correct socket. If the bolts are 6 point use 6 point, 12-12 so on and so forth. They will break free eventually.

looks hot.
get a garage.

I live in a condo. This is my friends backyard. It's not that hot here yet. Only dealing with 75F or so right now. Worse than the heat has been the rain. Had quite a few days of being soaked.

Here the wiring has almost been freed.

Skipping quite a few steps, headaches and bloody fingers the wiring harness and pedal assembly make their way into my wagon. Sorry the photo is so shitty. But most of them are.

OP out for now, going to the post office to pick up my new clutch kit and flywheel. Then to pick up the half moon seals I ordered from autozone (fucking "whole engine gasket kit" didn't come with any...). I'll keep checking the thread. Maybe post some more pictures today as I progress.

If I feel like it I might try fixing a pretty big dent on a door, tense a handbrake wire as they moaned about it on the road test, or re-seal a leaking split alloy. That's a lot of work you have there OP-san, just looking at it makes me tired.

I'd probably keep watch on the ads and see if something used comes up.

Has the valve lash been set?

OP here, just got back home from checking valve lash. Looks like I got a day of measuring and sanding ahead of me tomorrow. Only 6 valves are within spec after the lapping procedure. The other 10 are too tight. Shim over bucket style so I will just be sanding the shims down. Didn't take any pictures of the engine.

Would have liked to get more done today but I'm having my mother over for dinner and I'm making some veggie pot pies from scratch.

Also have to decide whether to just pull the flaps out of the TGVs or go full out and remove the electronics, fill the holes, and bore them out.

Pic related. Not mine but just a photo from online.

Aren't you supposed to replace the shims with smaller ones if the valve lash is too tight?

Yes, and I will I fuck up the sanding. But I'll give the cheaper method a go first.

>soldered

Sake man why not spend the time to make a new harness if the that one was already out and fucked?

Decent soldering skills, low budget, good flux on hand.

Ohhh and glorious 3:1 heatshrink.

coolant leak, preventing system from pressurizing, I think
boiled early and head gasket failure
the newly rebuilt head I ordered just arrived today

Im about to embark on a complete headswap on a 1990 miata. On the left is the unclean head from a spare engine Ive recently disassembled and on the right is my new head. Triple-cut seats, back cut valves and brand new valves in fact along with all new seals.

Head with along with all the other shit Im installing alonside it. A remote oil filter and cooler kit, ARP head studs, a cometic mls head gasket and a mishimoto thermostat

Sweet I'll be putting the motor from my parts car in to my car with a spun bearing.

Donor car

Made another thread taking about how I'm buying another car to swap the engine out of and put into my car. Picking it up tomorrow and towing it to my house. Hopefully everything works out and I'll have the engine and trans prepped for Sunday

Did most of it tonight.

When it was still daylight out and before it went from perfect weather to shitty and rainy I cleaned up my csrt4's interior since I might have someone coming to look at it this weekend.

Then I napped for a few hours went out and finally fixed my hanging exhaust and messed up downpipe on my talon that has been sitting like that for a few weeks. Then installed my new wastegate. Nigrahrigged an intake and a coolant overflow that i've been missing for awhile. Now just need to get a dump tube made this weekend.

Otherwise I got most of my shit done today.

wat. How long have you had the srt4? I missed where you ever got it.
last i knew u had the two talons and a bike.
why are you already getting rid of the srt4? did u do more to your talon?

My piece of shit Accord and Prelude

>How long have you had the srt4? I missed where you ever got it.
Since november.
>last i knew u had the two talons and a bike.
have the two talons, two bikes, and the csrt4 - pic related
>why are you already getting rid of the srt4? did u do more to your talon?
Bought CSRT4 because i wanted a newer car with warranty since I moved 3 hours away for a new job and had no garage to work on stuff in.
Ended up hating job and location. Found new job back home. Moved back home. Drive 60 miles for work every day, dont want to put it on CSRT4. So I drive my beater.

Basically no reason to have the srt4 anymore.

In fact I'm prepping to sell the CSRT4, both talons, and my b-king (big pigfat bike).

Going to buy a slightly nicer daily - ideally a mazda 3 or maybe a ranger/s10. Then I want either a LS3 c6 vette or a 11-14 5.0 GT

I'm going to finish doing a tuneup on my truck and attempt to fix the shitty wiring and rip out the nonfunctional aftermarket alarm.

A few weeks ago, my truck developed a coolant leak at the water pump so I decided to replace the water pump, thermostat housing, and thermostat since they are all cheap parts and I'll be in there anyway. Because I am a fuckup, I fucked up the install and didn't center the water pump gasket. 10 minutes into driving, the impeller hooked the gasket and tore it to shreds and started pouring coolant out again. I finally replaced the gasket again and this time I was careful to keep it in line. I only found about a third of the gasket. Should I flush the system? Can I just remove the radiator hoses and hook up a garden hose to it? Also, because I am a fuckup and because the truck is old, the shift knob came off while I was driving and I think I accidentally threw it out the window. I meant to throw it into the passenger side foot well but I was flustered and panicked and now I can't find my knob. I need a new shift knob. Any recommendations? 93 4cyl 2wd Ranger.