/evn/ - English Visual Novels

Classics Edition

Do you have a question about a Japanese visual novel or a translation of it?
/vn/ is ready to answer it. We are not them.

>Developer Resources, Getting Started:
pastebin.com/7LsCvtq3

>Recommended Reading:
vndb.org/v/all?q=;fil=olang-en.tagspoil-0;o=d;s=rating
pastebin.com/zGVSpH0B

>For Developers. Huge collection of guides on everything:
lemmasoft.renai.us/forums/viewforum.php?f=42

>Ren'Py Download:
renpy.org/

Last thread:

Other urls found in this thread:

lemmasoft.renai.us/forums/viewtopic.php?f=60&p=423903#p423903
twitter.com/Regris_Kallen/status/760623515795992576
lemmasoft.renai.us/forums/viewtopic.php?f=63&p=423914#p423914
soundcloud.com/leetmusic/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

If you build it, they won't come

Give it time, we are slow fucks.

Gotta sleep.
Guuuys, get in here and fucking bump.

Where you all being so productive that there was no time to bump today?

Were*
pls forgive me

Good call on the re-haul?

All the prominent members were secretly invited to a dev only all day orgy.

Looks a bit better, but not really worth redoing everything for better.

lemmasoft.renai.us/forums/viewtopic.php?f=60&p=423903#p423903

>lemmasoft.renai.us/forums/viewtopic.php?f=60&p=423903#p423903

>You are not authorized to read this forum.

You must have forgotten your monthly sacrificial offering to pytom.

I prefer the first version.

>lemmasoft.renai.us/forums/viewtopic.php?f=60&p=423903#p423903
Jiro guy recruiting for a project. Mentioned large capital and having a Japanese artist.

What is it that prevents you from throwing in the towel and keeps you working on your VN?

Guy who Sekai Project fired laments.

Uh, who cares?

Who cares about /evn/?

>Jiro guy
You mean omniknight

Why can't I access this thread ?

thread was removed i think

Mods or Jiro probably hid it.

I should've taken a screenshot lol.

>lemmasoft.renai.us/forums/viewtopic.php?f=63&p=423914#p423914

wtf

Is she a good deal?

why don't you try her and let us know? :^)

She's an intern right? You can't spell intern without n, t, and r.

Can't you handle all that pep?

I commend anyone who actually could read this whole thing.

Kinda quite this time around.

I kind of liked it. It had character.

Opinions on TyranoBuilder?

Very good and powerful tool, far superior than ren'py, and it has very nice and smooth gui.

Seriously, where did everyone scurry off to?

I'm silently here

Be loudly here

It has a lot of bugs, it makes everything you can do in Ren'py a lot more tedious. The only upside is live2d, which is not worth the trade offs for me. I can say for sure I would make my own engine before using Tyrano.

List your profession, e.g writer, artist. State what you're currently using those skills for and how you're doing so far.

I'd consider my only skill writing.

I'm currently directing my own project. In the writing department, everything is fine. I have over 400k words of content to adapt, with the story still being unfinished. (Six story arcs, large cast.)

I've been making a ton of art direction errors along the way, but I think I've learned a lot in the last year. I have a 40 minute or so demo which is nearing the final stages of completion.

The only thing holding me back now is the fact I've ran out of money and can only realistically finish the first story arc.

I'm professional Ren'Py programmer.
I've done 10+ commercial games.
My rates: $25-35 per hour (depending on amount of work).

nothing, that's why I give up two times every month and play vidya for weeks like a piece of shit
but then something I see or read makes me want to work on my project again and the torture begins anew

Composer and sound designer, worked a few VNs (mostly big-budget upcoming titles, but some are already out) and a lot of indie games, CAPCOM stuff and anime. Currently working with a singer for the Japanese market and some label stuff.

I charge $100 per minute of music and $8 per SFX.

I'm an anime artist and I flake on projects for a living.

I'm a professional /evn/ thread bumper. I get paid with shitposts and memes. So far so good.

Looking forward to get promoted and become a meme myself.

It was so bad that NewWestGames, the creators of A Wild Catgirl Appears and Impulse, dropped it in favor of Ren'py due to how buggy TyranoBuilder was.

Ryunocore?

Yep. Saying CAPCOM kind of gave it away, huh?

Yes
>I charge $100 per minute of music
Tipped me off too.

Actually, there are some fags on lemma who charge $300 per minute.

That's the bottom price of professional rates, it can go from $100-400

Are they any good? Or does anyone think they can just up and charge professional rates?

see for yourself
>soundcloud.com/leetmusic/

You're doing a horrible job right now.

I keep cringing on this game's art style and writing. Why? Just... why?

>art stlye
Why?

I can't explain it properly since I'm not an artist/writer but it's bugging me. I don't usually judge vn art but I think it's the eyes and facial proportions.

The eyes are too big and since they have an anime coloring style, they look like bug eyed.

It really is the proportions. During the Alpha they're really more of a bug-eyed freaks than anything. Usually this is okay with Japan style but they're using gradient shading instead of cel-shading which gives off the western vibe and doesn't really go well with anime proportions.

I'm Filipino. I know my culture.
Believe me that the writing is cringy as hell because writers from this country (be it books or telenovellas) here have no sense of subtlety and restraint. It's the literary equivalent of being edgy where throwing in the extremes takes out any sense of development, transition, or believability.

Little Girl
>Grew up in extreme poverty, parents died in a fire, orphaned to cruel uncles, possibly deformed but gives all her lunch money to the poor

Hero
>Possibly a rich aristocrat with a Spanish-sounding family name, fighting for their estate after a father's death, has a yacht, member of P1,000,000 membership Golf club, interested only in a heroine

Heroine
>Lonely island girl, gullible, innocent, wouldn't hurt a fly, has no compensating value besides passable looks, obsessed over by the hero

Dark Castle
>Possibly full of blood and gore because a king once tortured 10,000 people in the basement and no one who enters it comes out alive because ghost

I do a little bit of everything. Working on a few different projects, a couple are my own. Things are going okay so far.

Have you killed your first junkie yet?

I'm a developer.

I want to make a game but I can write somewhat. It's not finished yet but I have the general idea in my head. Still, Imma hire some writers since they said they're professionals. I also hire artist for my work. So far I've hired one, and he managed to submit 3 out of 10 sprites. But lately he stopped responding. Something about his grandma getting sick. Anyway, I'm just gonna commission other artist to finish the remaining sprites. I'm also planning on hiring another one for the CGs. This new guy I'm hiring says he's a professional ($88 per CG) and he's new and up coming as well, he doesn't even have a twitter or anything yet. I already paid full in advance and I'm waiting for him to respond after 5 weeks of silence. I'm also hiring some voice actresses but I won't need a voice director (lol, why even?) to save money. I contacted a recording studio for permission to use Kevin Spacey's version of "Beyond the Sea" but they hanged up after I said I wanted to purchase the rights for $499.

Anyway, it's my first project ever in life and it's 1m words long. I'm gonna revolutionize the genre once my Kickstarter gets funded all of the $40,000 that I ask.

You're hearing the latest news in this country, huh? No. But one was actually found dead a few meters away from the school where I teach at.

You nailed it buddy.

>revolutionize the genre
Oy vey.
How's that nigger vn doing ?

releasing everything except the game.

Are you programming games that actually require some skill to pull off, or are you just taking advantage of lazy retards who couldn't bother to spend a day learning renpy? If the latter that's a great idea.

I'm porting your text into game, so it will show on screen.

Near perfect, you just missed the "oh, but I don't have a budget for music" joke.

>people pay you to paste their text into renpy and put quotes around it
10/10

>$25-35 per hour for that
wew, why won't they just hire a pajeet?

well if its too much hard work for people like the driftwood dev, theres a market for it.

ACE Academy's is tentatively scheduled to be out of early access by the end of the month. Will it turn out to be the Sunrider Academy killer that people have hyped it up to be?

>need to make a design specification for my artist
>procrastinate instead
Fuck me.

Do you actually care?

same here but my artist is a piece of shit so i dont feel bad at all

Well, mine is actually decent and is a really nice guy. He has quite a lot of other work to do for the time being, but I still feel terrible about not working when I'm fucking supposed to.

then go fuck yourself you lazy cunt

How much do you think could sovietgames gather on KS if they launched a campaign right now and shilled it on Steam and everywhere else?
I imagine ES's (relative) success would help.

Yes, my future waifu depends on it.

Why are you suddenly asking this?
Hi Rita!

I really cannot say this is good.

Why don't more people hire The Leetstreet Boys to do music for their vns? I really like their songs.

ES was "successful" because it was free.

I'm pondering if I should make a super-popular free game first before starting any commercial projects. SG went this route and I wonder how well it'll work for them.
And they just mentioned some "big news" in their latest blog post, and I can't think of anything else that could be.
Nope, not him.
Yes, I even said "relatively". Your point?

because they're overrated and overcharge you
sauce: I know a guy

>sauce: I know a guy
Yeah well I know a girl

How much do they charge?

Artist. Currently a loner dev. At least I always know the status of the artwork, but I sometimes envy devs who have art rolling in from multiple sources.

While doing writing and coding, I wish I had a friend in either of those subjects that I could ask questions. Project has stalled over small things like not knowing I needed to remove the # before code. Which the irc could've told me in 2 seconds, but they ignore my dumb questions, so I spend 4 hours on it.

rubros won't spend money on it becuase they're poor and alcoholic ritochka-san has no connections with western devs/outlets so they won't help him with shilling
also kikestarter doesn't even work with motherland (and most eastern yuropeen countries)

Can someone spoonfeed me about the recent Sekai fallout/drama?

Sekai is shit.

Well gee, and water is wet. Can you go into a bit more detail please?

Sure, water can become ice or steam.

The CEO of Sekai got booty busted over someone pirating an H patch so now he's burning bridges and firing all the people who helped EVN devs inside the company.

> firing

have they confirmed this? Becuase it seems liek they quit.

BG artist.
I sometimes do a bit of coding, GUI, trailers and character art, but bgs are my best trait.

I'm doing fine, I guess. Reopened my commissions lately.

I wish I could somehow kick my own project into movement, but that seems unlikely in the near future.

Does this sound like someone who wanted to leave?

No, but it could also be that the work enviroment was simply too toxic to continue.

It also leaves Dovac, which iirc hasn't said anything about the situation.

The CEO also said that he "couldn't wait to get out of industry" as if shirking away from VNs was an already established inevitability for the company.