/sthg/ - Sonic the Hedgehog General

Welcome to Sonic the Hedgehog General. Let's talk about Sonic games, old and new, and the entire franchise including animation and comics. Share art, music, talk about new developments, discuss ROM hacks, speedrunning, etc.

/sthg/ - #525 - Mammoth Mogul's Revenge Edition

>Link CompilationDrawfag/Writefag Idea WallsNews/DevelopmentsRecent Releases

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=VXGkJmRtU0o
archiesonic.wikia.com/wiki/Category:Characters_introduced_by_Scott_Fulop
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Rest In Rip Archie Sonic

Mammoth Mogul gets you through a reboot where he doesn't even exist Sonic, gotta give him credit.

Archie's dead aren't they.
SENPAI WE NEED YOU

What a sickening development, right as the last obstacle for the comics to continue unfettered was cleared up. I'm gonna echo what that user said last thread: if not for Mania/2017, I'd quit the franchise for good if the comics died.

For any of those that want to take your minds off this madness there is a thread in /co/ that storytimed Megadrive as well as issue 171 as a sample for an user who wants to start the comics, though it will be hard to get your mind off this shit because it's still Archie Sonic.

Senpai doesn't know what goes on at the corporate/legal levels; he's often made mention that he does little more than ship scripts and receive checks as far as Archie is concerned. The person you should be calling on is our Legalanon.

STATUTE OF LIMITATIONS
>STATUTE OF LIMITATIONS
STATUTE OF LIMITATIONS
>STATUTE OF LIMITATIONS
STATUTE OF LIMITATIONS
>STATUTE OF LIMITATIONS
STATUTE OF LIMITATIONS
>STATUTE OF LIMITATIONS
STATUTE OF LIMITATIONS
>STATUTE OF LIMITATIONS

Part one of two, to be continued.

>Penders kills off the preboot with a lawsuit as things were getting really interesting
>If Penders didn't kill shit, we could have been almost done with everything Ian planned in LHT
>LHT 2 never
>Penders and Penders 2.0 are trying to kill off the reboot as it's getting really interesting
>Series could end on Panic In The Sky 1 as a cliffhanger

I'm a mixture of feelings and all of them bad.

I doubt this will halt production of the comics in the immediate future. Archie won't stop everything because of a lawsuit just got filed.

I think I know where you are going with this.

It could stop Archie if SEGA takes the license.

SEGA is probably not going to take away the license immediately. Especially since we (and probably they) don't know how much ground Fulop even has to sue.

How can a franchise about a blue hedgehog and friends cause so many damn legal problems?

This isn't fair. Things were finally starting to look up for this franchise and now this happens...

>A Lawsuit Against Archie & SEGA America Has Been Filed By Narrative Ark Entertainment (Scott Fulop)
Can we have a third Bad Edition thread?

>Senpai's face when he finds out

When an absolute hack does whatever he wants with no regard to anyone else (seriously in some issues he just puts the Millenium Falcon and Slave 1 from Star Wars into the comic), who then has the nerve to get uppity when someone makes reference to his work, you're bound to get some legal troubles out of it.
That isn't to say mr Penders is ENTIRELY at fault here though let's be honest, a large part of it is him

Given the attitude SEGA has shown lately, what with pimping Mega Drive at major events and giving Aaron not insignificant control over franchise media, I'm feeling hoping is much more willing to step up to the plate for the comic this time around.

Thank Archie's incompetence in legalese and proper record keeping.

I know how you feel. I'm excited for the games and all but this is still a hard kick in the gut since I've followed the comics for so long and so closely.

I also worry about keeping discussion going until the games come out without the shot in the arm the comics provide.

It's not legally sound to react instantly because it can be seen as admitting guilt, it's like why you aren't supposed to say 'it's my fault' when you're in a car accident

Because Sonic doesn't like to obey laws
youtube.com/watch?v=VXGkJmRtU0o

I'm surprised nobody linked this yet

When was the last time Mogul's been in the comics?

If he hasn't been Pender'd will we see a new roster wipe? Will we see him...Fulop'd?

Feeling SEGA is more willing to step up to the plate. Christ, I should sleep before any more bad news hits.

Archie did away with any characters by other writers than Ian.

He was retconned out with the reboot, due to being a comics-exclusive character who wasn't made by Ian Flynn.

The biggest consequence this case would likely have on the comics, assuming that Sega doesn't pull the license from Archie, is that Archie probably won't be selling back issues of the pre-reboot comics (aside from Worlds Collide) anymore.

And even some by Ian
Yes, yes, technicalities.

Are we going to celebrate every 5 year anniversary with a lawsuit now?

Alright. I knew about most of the other characters that were wiped out. It's just with Mogul being the problem character here, I thought he somehow survived the Pendering. Which I thought was supposed to prevent these sorts of things happening again.

I'm cautiously optimistic SEGA won't pull the license, and if it only effects reprinting pre-reboot stuff, I think they'd halt that.

archiesonic.wikia.com/wiki/Category:Characters_introduced_by_Scott_Fulop

Thank you user, The article had the name, sorry!

Probably?

Reprints have been delayed to hell and back, I imagine this will be the killing blow for the pre-reboot prints.

Probably just comes down to the time, effort, and money Archie might have to pay along with SEGA's patience and mood since they are directly involved this time.

This is all assuming this gets off the ground of course, but after what Penders was allowed to get away with, anything is possible and the possible bad scenarios aren't fun to think about.

I still miss him. The pain doesn't go away.

What's going on in the world of /sthg/?

Game hype and comic lawsuits.

>comic lawsuits
oh?

Read the first two news links in the OP, should tell you all we know right now.

Forget about these lawsuits, who hyped for Mania here

So what, Freelance writers made characters for the comic and are suing because they used them again without asking?

I'm hyped for both Mania and Sonic 2017
Also, Sonic looks smaller in Mania.

It's the different screen resolutiion

I am. I keep wishing for SEGA to give the party demo out, but that won't happen.

I hope the anons going to SoS tell us about their experiences with it.

The characters they made haven't been used since 2012/2013. This likely has more to do with reprints and possibly digital sales.

>So what, Freelance writers made characters for the comic and are suing because they used them again without asking?

No. Exactly one freelance writer named Scott Fulop (who is apparently the only Sonic writer still on good terms with Penders) made a few characters for the comic and is suing because Archie is selling reprints (both physical and digital) of pre-reboot comics with those characters in them. Chances are, Penders himself gave him the idea.

If we keep posting Mogul will he sue this board?

>Given the attitude SEGA has shown lately, what with pimping Mega Drive at major events.

with this and the upcoming Genesis of a Hero arc I hope sega is going to deal with fulop and let the comics continue.

Ah. So he's just suing to screw Archie and get money?

Maybe. On the other hand, if Archie is not paying him the royalties or whatever he is legitimately owed, then I can't say Archie is that likable here either.

From what I read, he never bothered to check who actually owned the stuff he wrote which kinda seems like an obvious thing to do.

And if I was Archie, I'd probably try to get it so that I wouldn't need to pay more than once for a story.

>The pain doesn't go away.
I know what you mean, goodnight user.

Why are Archie so incompetent?

There are some differences obviously but it generally looks great still.

I'm in love with that level title card.

Would go for pizza at Tails' and grab a coffee from Blaze's

>Moguls jewel thing is grey
never noticed

So what's more likely?
Sega moving the comic to another publisher or just shutting the whole thing down?

It's the latter isn't it?

I want.

Spring 2017 user.

Probably the latter, but if there's enough fan outcry, they might consider moving the comic to another publisher (like IDW, Boom!, or possibly Dark Horse).

Anyone who knows the suit, give it to me straight: Can Archie win the case?

Shit man, waiting impatiently for a game hasn't happened for a while now to me. I don't believe we still have nearly a year for the thing to come out.

Well, Fulop definitely can't get anything from reprints that were made and sold before 2013 (due to the statute of limitations). Anything newer than that, though, he might actually have a case with . . .

I leave the General for one day and shit hits the fan.

What happened?

So is there anything incriminating that Fulop can actually use beyond 2013?

I don't know. It all depends on when they reprinted (and started digitally selling) certain comics (such as the "Scourge: Lockdown" arc in Sonic Universe, which used some of Fulop's characters as part of Scourge's Destructix gang). The reprint releases have been slowing to a crawl lately though.

>A Lawsuit Against Archie & SEGA America Has Been Filed By Narrative Ark Entertainment (Scott Fulop)
Read the OP dude or dude.

Does his contract even have a clause for digital?

Probably not, seeing as Archie wasn't even selling digital comics until after Ian jumped on board. The only way I can see Archie winning this is if they didn't reprint any comics featuring "his" characters after 2013. My heart is sinking like the Titanic just thinking about it.

Physicaly reprinting, and I remember the physical ones stopping ages ago when the last round of threats went around. I bet most likely it'll either be thrown out or it'll be settled

Even then, he can only claim damages for reprints from the past 3 years. This is one of those lawsuits where the plaintiff tosses in everything they can think of so they can try to get at least one thing to stick, so even though 99% of it will get tossed out in court within the first three hearings people will still see a big number a parrot that Archie is doomed (this describes 99% of all lawsuits filed).

Problem is, Archie is on paper-thin ice with Sega after the Penders lawsuit. Hell, even being sued at all is probably pissing them off enough to pull the license from Archie.

Mogul Rising and Scourge Lockdown both came out within that time period.

There might be another few reprint series Archie has/had that contain his writing as well.

Then, yeah, Archie's probably fucked. In retrospect, they should have never reprinted or digitally sold anything from the pre-reboot continuity except Worlds Collide.

I will try to sage a thread and make it die

>SEGA and Archie Comics could be fined by as much as a maximum of $135,000,000
Are you kidding? I doubt he comic has made anywhere near that amount in its whole lifetime everything considered.

We should all just not post tomorrow. She'd love it.

What's inside?

you'll find out

Don't open your mail tomorrow /sthg/

>His sprite doesn't go slightly downward when running over the small hill
It's a small thing but it's getting to me.

Been away finding more sonix stuff for my collection and decided to draw best Amy again. I forgot what was asked of me last time but do ask again if you gotta request!
---
Also, I'm scared as fuck about this law suit. I will hold strong and hope for the best. Archie Sonic must continue!!!!

I actually think it's better now.

>$135M
What a desperate cunt.

That's cute!

But the old one looked bad. He sorta just snaps down on that tiny slope. He shouldn't need to rotate for slopes like those.

Were you the one asking just for basic ideas/pose?

I think I requested Sonic stretching before he goes on a run, if you were.

I get that & I'm not saying they shoud "fix" it, but seeing them side-by-side & it not being accurate irks my tisms a bit. That Bubble Shield is looking sexy though.

Did you find/get anything interesting?

You need to get that tism checked out user, and yeah the Bubble Shield is pretty good

These bubble shield physics, my god

I want to see

You perform the Drop-Dash by pressing jump twice holding the 2nd press as you drop, and Sonic will take off when he lands. It replaces the Insta-Shield.

Like u c:
No but i can do that if you really want?
Found the McDonald's mini Sonic games
Grabbed a couple more Sonic Archives and in the process of finding a good sculpter to commission sexy Amy and other female characters from the comic. I'm ready to drop 2,000 dollups (or save it just to pay rent cos in a couple weeks i wont have a job and will have to desperately look for one whilst i network myself for drawing commissions)
I should just consider getting an artist to do a body pillow lay out amy and make due. I cant lay or fappit to my own work.

Hedgehogs are synonym with money, and then you know how it goes.

>I also worry about keeping discussion going until the games come out without the shot in the arm the comics provide.
This will likely go on for months. If anything, it'll give us more things to talk about while the games come out.

The drop dash will be so good for speedrunning levels. I can just imagine the fast when you know all the routes well.

>No but i can do that if you really want?
I was just wondering if you were the same user who asked. If you want to give it a shot, then feel free. If not, then draw a Metal Sonic maybe?

I can just imagine next year's SGDQ.

>"So as you'll see through this run, the drop dash can be very broken."

I wonder what kind of times speedrunners will get for Mania.

Probably depends on how long each level is, but I'm thinking 30-35 minutes. S3&K runs have gone 40-45 depending on character. I'm assuming Mania will be 10 levels long and the drop dash will make it faster overall.

It's gonna be fun to see how it turns out.

Okay guys I'm about to send and Email to Sonic Team at SEGA, I need you to determine if this is okay or not.

Dear SEGA and Sonic Team,
Almost a month after announcing your two latest Sonic games; Sonic Mania and Project 2017 (whatever the actual title is) I think it would now be an important time to tell you that Daisuke Ishiwatari, the man responsible for the Guilty Gear series, is open to both commissions and employment for creating and developing soundtracks for other games coming out of Japan.

I believe that this is a legendary opportunity to have both Ishiwatari and Jun Senoue (the lead developer and creator of the soundtrack of the Sonic Adventure titles) team up together as both have expressed a more-than-willing attitude to change and adapt their own crafts.

As both a fan of Daisuke and Jun and even the Sonic franchise I believe it is in the best of interest to hire these two individuals for your lead sound directors as the resulting soundtrack might cause the second coming of Godzilla himself so that you Nippons can launch your revenge strike to the U.S.A.

I am also more than sure that such a being, powered by the music of a legendary duo such as Daisuke and Jun, would be more than capable of bringing the world to their knees.

Also I will give you the secret baby formula we use on our US children to make sure their dick grows big so that you don't have to have tiny asian penises anymore.

Love, A Devoted Fan