/shmupg/ Shooting Game General

This general is for discussing all shmups/stgs (shoot 'em ups/shooting type games).

Previous thread: Need something to play? Check this shit out: mega.nz/#!mlwG3ZCJ!NMdWxNY4pjqc1vFGwzyPIbtGor0GHObcfENNMgOQW1s

Join us on Steam! steamcommunity.com/groups/shmupg

>RECENT RELEASES:

Mecha Ritz Steel Rondo
store.steampowered.com/app/463070

Ke-Tsu-No-Ana
store.steampowered.com/app/472830

RefRain
store.steampowered.com/app/435970/

Shmups Skill Test
store.steampowered.com/app/430290/

WITCH-BOT MEGLILO:
store.steampowered.com/app/437020/

>UPCOMING RELEASES:

Blue Revolver
bluerevolvergame.com/

Xydonia
indiedb.com/games/xydonia

iMalice
amamoriya.gozaru.jp/imalice/

DoDonPachi Daifukkatsu
cave.degicagames.com/

>Don't forget to vote!
steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=660224194

Other links
STG stream aggregator: stgrillz.appspot.com/

/shmupg/ high-score list:
docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1K0DesawgMQiFNMv2MZxxwdjzBudCIMMb3BkjQJaHjxI/edit?usp=sharing

/Shmupg/ community YT channel:
youtube.com/channel/UCp2e9X5tR9BLdSlIGjzftDA

Other urls found in this thread:

kiwiirc.com/client/irc.rizon.net/#shmupg
youtube.com/watch?v=kLbUgM0eWd4
webmshare.com/RABMq
twitch
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

First for fishies

2hu is better than Cave for fapping purposes.

Third for beautiful, young, talented and charismatic virgin that everyone adores!

C'mon senpai. The least you can do is spoiler it

>
>by your loose definition
Please enlighten me and tell me what my definition is, because it seems you know better than me what I say.

>
>Lol, nobody relevant gives a fuck about R-Type or Ikaruga
Who do you consider as "relevant" please?

You call shmups puzzle games because you have to figure out routes. By that logic anything that requires some thought is a puzzle/shmup.

I never called them puzzle games, asshole. All I said is just that they are very similar to puzzle games.

Probably no need.

>anything that requires some thought is a puzzle/shmup
Vast majority of games also hardly require thought, fuckface

Normally I'd be with the people egging Kraut-kun on, but he's not entirely wrong here. Also, bringing drama from the last thread is top-tier pathetic.

Congrats on those CC gainz, KBR. Looking forward to seeing what else you can do. I'm not particularly interested in Ikaruga (I'm too retarded to wrap my head around bullet absorption gimmicks), but is there an R-Type you'd recommend for someone who doesn't usually play horizontal memorizers?

Just fuck off, asshole.

Make me :^)

I'm cucking all you guys on the Sonic CD leaderboards btw

That's okay. I don't like Sonic CD.

Kraut is actually kinda based sometime. It's just that it's become a meme to shit on him.

Go for the top Kraut! Don't let anyone keep you down!

Oh there's no meme, he used to be a relentless shitposter. Just tamed it down a bit so he only spergs out when people bring it on.

>tfw mushi looks impossible for you
tomorrow i will play mushi all day

I've fucked around once with making a SHMUP in Game Maker, and I'm not sure about my scoring system. Basically you dash into shit in order to increase your chain counter by 1 up to 16, and your multiplier only applies if you destroy shit with your spread/laser. However, if your chain reaches maximum level you can activate a bomb. There is a rapidly increasing rank counter once your chain is maxed out, so you'll have to bomb eventually. You also get bonus points when you use your bomb, which increases with your rank level and the amount of enemies that were affected by the blast, though the bonus point gain is incredibly atm. Whenever you use a bomb, your chain also resets to one.

I think the whole rankbombing thing might be somewhat unnecessary, as it is something I added at the last minute and probably doesn't mesh well with the multiplier affecting shot/laser kills, though otherwise keeping up your chain might be too easy given how the game works atm. Alternatively, I could increase the speed at which your chain decays, or switch to your chain instantly resetting to 1 instead of decreasing by 1 if you don't dashkill anything for a while. Any suggestions?

kiwiirc.com/client/irc.rizon.net/#shmupg

Get the fuck in here, sperglords.

Post a webm as example. It's really hard to tell how it really works and feels simply from reading about it.

>tfw you will never be able to accomplish this feat
youtube.com/watch?v=kLbUgM0eWd4

this is what it looks like at the moment
webmshare.com/RABMq

Is this a methodical memesterpiece or danmaku bullshit?

neither, it's memeshit

R type power rankings
Leo > 1 > 2 > the rest

>virgin

You thought he meant the girl?

Wrong

2>1>Final>Leo>Delta

Rosa is a virgin!

>implying that I'm a beautiful, young, talented and charismatic virgin that everyone adores

Last thread already was Deathsmiles territory. Can't you post SHMUP girls from anything else that isn't DS or 2hu?

Nope

Deathsmiles is love...
Deathsmiles is life!

I don't really have a collection of things that aren't Deathsmiles though... but I guess I can give it a try!

>SHMUP girls
Why limit it to females only?

Why won't the big laser ship die?

hellsinker is my favorite methodical masterpiece

It's working so far!

Cho Ren Sha is my favorite methodical masterpiece.

>Only shmups can have in-depth planning!

lol fuck off twat

How many credits did you feed today shmupg?!

None because Gradius doesn't have continues.

Look at Advanced Hardest leaderboards instead, there are 0 clears.

None, because I didnt need them.
Also because Cho Ren Sha 68k doesnt have credits.

How early is too early to start them down the path of the shmup?

That is so cute.

dawwww

>he

Is Mushihimesama good enough for someone who's never played a shmup?

it has novice modes if you want to ease in, and it's built around its three difficulties so you can stick to original if you wanna, or you can move up as you clear.

Yes.

It certainly looks unique, but I think the dashing mechanic is really strange. Why would the pilot dash into everything the whole time? What is the logic behind this power? I could imagine this also easily can lead to cheap deaths, where you dash and then immediately die afterwards, without being able to anything against it.

To me it kinda reminds me of Zangeki Warp with the dashing system, but in Zangeki Warp the dashing, or warping actually makes sense, because you get forced to warp. In your game it doesn't look like you are forced to warp (or dash). The only reason the player does it is to increase the multiplier. And why would you use a bomb which destroys your chain, when you also easily could just dash away?

TL;DR: The game is too easy. There is not enough reason to dash (perhaps implement more bullets and also environmental hazards), and the dashing also refills way too fast.

where are the bullets, eggman

Rosalie continues to maintain a dominating lead, with Cattleya in the distance behind her.

Demon girls fight amongst each other at the bottom, trying desperately not to be the one to come in last place. Digitalis worst girl.

Oh right, it was supposed to be shmup girls. Whoops.

Sorry, is this better?

What I would do is make the dash mechanic into a charge mechanic, so that you first have to charge before being able to dash. And get rid of the bomb, since the dashing is already OP enough.

ahhh yeah, sexy ass bullets

*cock explodes cum everywhere*

Stop that. We have trouble enough keeping people in this thread without having mess everywhere.

Dude, moving background left-right following your ship is pretty inconvenient. Why dont you make it static?

You do realize a ton of shmups do this right?

Though the scrolling in his game does seem a little too fast.

*wipes you down*

there there

All the fast ship shmups I can think of are static

But not for modern shmups I guess? It's confusing if the background is space, the enemy bullets looks like following your movement too.

For the ground, I remember Raiden has similar behavior, you're likely get snipped by tanks by the time you moved to unexposed area, which is bad design I think.

I can only think of Raiden IV doing this in recent memory.

I think the problem is that the screen tracks the player ship perfectly while being centered on them while in other games the background moves only when the player is closer to the edge of the camera. This is easily fixable in Game Maker by adjusting the view settings

Made it to loop 3 of Batsugun Special.

holy shit nigger learn to crop.

I think it's cute

nice paint edit dude

i want to kill myself but don't want to hurt my family. wtf do i do? everything is lost. everything is shit. i play shmups to distance myself from how far society has fallen. i swear to fuck we've lost control. i need a fucking break. they're sleeping sound while i watch the fall of rome. fucking kill me.

so who wants to STREAM

Do you guys wear diapers when you play just in case nature calls during the third stage of CCWI?

No, stage 3 is ezpz

nah, panties feel the comfiest when playing shmups

Stream it Yorgay!

Hey why is the thread dead? Bottom of page 10 is dangerous!

Grazing practice

I don't know if I should stream Mushi or finish killing the rest of the superbosses in Etrian Odyssey 4. I'm not sure which one sounds more difficult at the moment.

STREAM MUSCHI NOW

Fighting giant bugs either way, I suppose.

twitch tv/harrykoakuma

You do get some short i-frames during and after the dash, so you do get some leniency in terms of not dashing into bullets. You can dash fairly quickly in and out of dodge, hence why an energy bar is necessary if you don't want to cheese everything. This wouldn't work as well with slow dense bullet patterns as you'd have no room to dash, so I opted for faster and bigger bullets instead. It ended up working as a crowd control/speedkilling mechanic like Sonic's Homing Attack, as more enemies on the screen can make things near-impossible with the amount of continuous bullets they fire atm. Your spread and laser are fairly weak, as dashkilling is a guaranteed kill.

I was still working on enemies which would fire slowly-turning telegraphed straight lasers which can't be dodged by any conventional means other than dashing, though I couldn't properly implement that yet. The bomb thing is indeed too OP and I wasn't really happy with it. The moving screen edges is something I have no idea why I added it in the first place either. I suppose I can change the way how the energy bar refills (recharges for each enemy killed with spread/laser) Dariusburst-style, though I'll need to change the way the scoring works (increase chain by quickly killing enemies with the regular shot as dashkills get the multiplier bonus? so you can either save up dashing energy for defensive purposes or use it immediately for scoring)

Daily reminder that Kraut is this dumb

>First danmaku game was Batsugun by Toaplan. While the company had some members from Cave it was still a totally different company.

Also, it's not like they reinvented the wheel or something, by simply putting more bullets on screen and making the hitbox smaller.

I find Cave generic, because all their games are simply quite generic. There is nothing special or outstanding about them, apart from the insane difficulty perhaps.

>everything is lost. everything is shit. i play shmups to distance myself from how far society has fallen
Fuck told you wankers so, most players are hedonistic man children who are total shit at dealing with real life.

Ugly fat armed little gay cunt, no one wants to see your spastic offspring.

Stream over, thanks for watching. I'm gonna go get destroyed by a giant bug in a different game now and then go to bed.

Or maybe I'll play Galaga and- ... mm. Fuck.

What's the music from?

Sounds like Battle Garegga all the way

>It ended up working as a crowd control/speedkilling mechanic like Sonic's Homing Attack
I see, I know it's all just still placeholders, but then you also must have a fitting ship design though. Just having a regular ship for this would look weird. It should turn into some kind of very robust ball or something when dashing, kinda like Sonic.

>(increase chain by quickly killing enemies with the regular shot as dashkills get the multiplier bonus?
Yes, this would be better I think.

>What's the music from?
Just how could someone be in this thread and not know battle gareggas ost?

Just how could someone be in this thread and be such an autistic faggot?

Because Battle Garegga is not a Cave game.

There, I said it so that nobody else has to! Now I'm going to bed. There's plenty more shmupping to do tomorrow after a terrifying sleep filled with nightmares of giant murderous bugs and purple everywhere

bump

argh

>MAME

No idea you'll have to ask Kraut.

Fuck sake cmon that game is easy, just stay back most of the time and move left and right. I cleared it on mame with zero slowdown only losing one life so you shouldn't have any problems.

mame>steam

Reminds me of nerds candy

I'm having trouble with that too. Keep at it!