/dfg/ - Dwarf Fortress General

Previous thread >Download the basic game here. Current version is Dwarf Fortress 0.43.06
bay12games.com/dwarves/

>Official forums:
bay12forums.com/smf/index.php

>Find a bug? Don't tell us! Tell Toady! Complaining in the thread will accomplish nothing.
bay12games.com/dwarves/mantisbt

>Have a question? Check the wiki first:
dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/Main_Page

>Fireden archived threads:
boards.fireden.net/vg/search/subject/Dwarf Fortress/

>Dwarf Therapist (Out of Date):
bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=122968.0

>DFHack (Out of Date):
bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=139553.0

>Starter Pack (Out of Date):
bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=126076.0

>More DF stuff:
pastebin.com/AnsHjQ40

>Dwarf Fortress General IRC chat:
en.irc2go.com/webchat/?net=freenode&room=dwarffortress
(to connect yourself: webchat.freenode.net #dwarffortress)

>A bunch of guides to various parts of fort-based living:
imgur.com/a/nGyRF#0

>Video tutorials:
youtube.com/playlist?list=PLBrdUj1adIBD-vgUodaaxebcdqQ4oEWtg
youtube.com/playlist?list=PLD1A3FE72C0DCAC66 (Dated, but good)

>Text tutorials:
dwarffortresswiki.org/DF2014:Tutorials
members.iinet.net.au/~morty/Getting_Started_with_Dwarf_Fortress.pdf

>This pasta:
pastebin.com/iAduXzjn

Strike the earth!

Ghost are actually dangerous as fuck if you dont slab them
do eet

If no one bumps this we are going to die again.

>post number 2
/DFg/

It was inevitable.

How fragile we are... Begone fear!

is there a booru for dr pics?

>dr
df

dor rortress

Are blind cave Ogres useless in battle?

i mean they are blind right

Well then. I've learned my lesson: never settle in a terrifying biome ever again. Not only does the rain of vile goo happen EVERY 5 seconds, I think it fucks up the dwarves in the long run as I had several squads of dudes knocked out unconscious around a SINGLE yak bull all the while I have a hospital set up for emergencies and not one motherfucker would at least drag the dudes there.

What the fuck?

Set evil rain to 0. Its boring as fuck, but more importantly, a land having evil rain usually cheats it out of having evil clouds.

Well, I am going to try again in case it's something I did because I am still kind of new at this game so yeah.

Sure user, your civilians will mop the floor with them.

Some migrants have arrived.

Capture them and put them in a pit where you feed them your prisoners.

Wait people still play this?

Why aren't they just playing rimworld.

I guess FPS death is !!FUN!!

why can't I use kaolinite for walls, the red color really suits my vampire comedy-program's house, but I can't use it!
it's very important, please help

because its clay

FPS death is a thing of the past, my child.

Because Dwarf Fortress has quite a bit more in depth when it comes to certain things than Rimworld and therefore more replayability.

..... lol no it's not.
Show me the patch notes where they have significant frame rate enhancements.

Did they somehow multithread pathing?

I can agree with that. But you can never pierce the depth because to get a king, you need a FPS killing number of dwarves. You can also never breach the caverns. And the magma sea is just to top it all off.

>But you can never pierce the depth because to get a king
>you need to get a king to get the depth
>80 dwarves kill your fps
I know this is bait and all but you could stop pretending

Use bauxite, same color.

But I've done all of those things in my current game, and the fort is still running smothly.

Okay, get 80 dwarves, and breach the caverns. Create a tavern, create a library.

enjoy your sub 25 FPS. which drops exponentially after a year.

> But you can never pierce the depth because to get a king, you need a FPS killing number of dwarves.

Horseshit buddy. My last fort I had a king and was at a steady 20 FPS and this was before 64 bit. Besides, a lot of the depth comes from the incredible world and history generation, something completely absent from Rimworld.

>You can also never breach the caverns.

You can though, just wall off what you don't use.

Have you even played in the past year?

He's just stirring shit or it's one of the rimworld shitposters
Just ignore him, you won't change his mind

Yes, I have played.

20 fps is terrible, and it only gets worse from there as the years go on.

Even with strict management like atom smashers and trading off everything excess.

No, I'm just trying to get the shitty mathematician to fix his shitty code.

Maybe if he started losing his neetbucks, he might.

thanks senpai

Keep in mind I saw bauxite as red when I tried using a tlieset, haven't seen it yet in ASCII.

>20 fps is terrible

That's subjective. It was quite playable for me and I played a few more years on it before it dropped anymore.

Dor Rortress is a hell of a thing.

So, which rehaul of some aspect of df you expect the most?
I can't decide between language or psychology

Try starting a new game after it drops to 15 fps, feels like you can actually accomplish shit instead of waiting for for your dwarves to do anything.

>fastdwarf 1
mandatory to have this now, and even then it's shitty because it makes combat completely unfair.

I'd rather have toady start from scratch with optimization in mind instead of this.

Every new feature is another thing that taxes the FPS.

>No, I'm just trying to get the shitty mathematician to fix his shitty code.
By shitposting on Veeky Forums? Go to the forums if you want to make a suggestion to Toady, bud.

Pic is what you're actually trying to say.

>still replying

Sure it's mostly complaining, but maybe it will convince someone to stop funding him and his brothers shitty after school project.

This is the correct answer.

Yes, you sure convinced me. Up until now, Toady had fooled me that his game was fun to play, and I had actually spent several hours per day playing, and (mistakenely, of course) thought that I had a good time doing so. However, your truthful words have made me realise how boring this game actually is, and how mistaken I have been when I thought i was having fun with it. Today will be the day I stop playing DF.

I also totally agree that we should stop funding DF so that Toady can't fix its shortcomings.

I'm implying he will never fix his fucking shortcomings. I've been following his game 3 years, it's been in development for ten. Every feature has been a reduction of FPS.

I'll never understand what motivates someone to go shitposting to an autism room like this, i really won't

Except that's not true.

He does it because you respond. He wants to stir shit. If you stop, he will go away. If he's shitposting, report it.

now with 64 bit. When he had 64 bit a long time ago it ran like it was a tabletop game for me.

hmm, good idea

how many idlers vs population do you have /dfg/

Was something changed about parties? I've got dwarves kinda pissed that they haven't socialized in a long time, and now I realize in 4 years they haven't thrown a single party. I have the meeting hall designated. Did they add something else that's required? Nothing I can find on the wiki.

Dont you need a tavern for that?

Yes, you do. You need to assign it as a location.

2 out of 77, and the only good reason they are doing like that is because they are starving in the prision for reasons
Taverns do that now, there aren't parties

If one of my dwarves likes cobaltite and my floor is made of it, will she get good thoughts from it?

Fuck, I wanted to avoid having visitors, since I haven't played in a long time and just wanted to use this fort for relearning the basic shit. Now I'll have to worry about dickhead vampire visitors. Those Dwarven bastards better appreciate this.

I'm not sure but I wanna say no, and she definitely won't like falling on it.

Will The rapist be updated anytime soon for .43? I can manage manual labor assignment for 7 dwarves, but 80 is a bit much

You can. z > stones > economic > kaolinite > enter
It's automatically filtered because it's used to make porcelain. Which is a much more intelligent use of it, btw.

It's stone in DF.

You don't have to have visitors. When you make your tavern pay attention to the settings. You'll figure it out.

You should ask in the rapist forum thread. Link is in the OP.

This is the proof, that's the prision
It also holds a bleeding distracted dwarf ghost, normal tuesday

It's a clay as I can use it in the clay maker's place.

So I've come back to Dwarf fortress, like the crack that it is, created a world and started adventure mode, to my joy, as an eagle man
>try to eat
>you lick the plump helmet
>you lick the tea leaf
Did he change how you ate food, because besides a few additions, which are great, I can't seem to eat food.

Please help, I'm starving /dfg/ teach me how to eat.

Last figure I saw was a month or two at the very least until rapist works again for the most recent version

>Guy trying to get used to the game again
>A second Ettin attacks my Fort
>Have burrows set up for my marksdwarves and hammerdwarves
>Set them both to the military burrow alert, all with orders to defend those two burrows
>Unpause
>They immediately leave the squads and head for the civ burrow
>Frantically try to figure out what's wrong
>Keep pausing and unpausing for a few moments to see if they change what they're doing
>Realize nothing I'm doing is working
>Go to check on the Ettin
>It wandered into one of the random cage traps I had started setting up around my perimeter

Well... Good. That gives me some more time to figure this out.

It's a stone as it's defined in inorganic_mineral.txt, leaves boulders when it's mined, it can be smoothed and engraved, and can be worked by masons and stonecrafters to make stone objects and stone crafts. You can use numerous other stone types in kilns as well, for making plaster powder or glazes.

Eagles are carnivores, user. Giant_ and _man variants inherit tags from the animal they're based on. You'll have to fight for your supper.

eagle-man are carnivore senpai
have you ever seen an eagle eat a salad?

OH

In retrospect that makes perfect sense

I starved an eagleman to death trying to force feed him veggies

"DID you hear about that eagle guy who walked into town the other day, he starved to death licking tea leaves"

I love this game.

I made the tavern, and now some of these dicks just won't leave. I'm talking its been multiple sieges with some of these people sitting inside. Right now I've got a caravan here, and my broker refuses to stop socializing. I notice its purple with a ! rather than the green some of the others have. Am I to take from this that it takes a lot longer for this to end if its been a long time since they've done so?

Send in the military.

I was wondering if/when you would square up vorpal with diagonals. It's gorgeous.

My only complaints are that the shading(?) causes a lot of black space contrast, and makes open space hard to differentiate from unsmoothed stone floors with varied ground tiles turned off. I can switch back to raving real quick if you want to see a comparison screenshot.

What's better, dedicated high-skill dwarves with personal workshops and no other jobs, or a mass of dwarves with every labor enabled and a big pile of workshops?

What are your storage preferences, individual stockpiles linked to worhshops and managed with hauling routes, or an enormous multi-z-level everything-stockpile?

Depends on whether you want everything done fast all the time or you want everything that gets made to have a higher quality on average. A corp of highly skilled craftsdwarves can make a big difference to your fort's value, especially when you start working with high value materials. But until you have a lot of highly skilled craftsdwarves, hunger, thirst, sleep, and recreation can seriously bottleneck your production.

For stockpiles, that's kind of a personal preference as well. I personally hardly stockpile anything at all outside of food and metal ores, and when I do it's usually small stockpiles for a specific tasks or qsps for collecting a resource. I don't think my approach is typical, judging from what I see posted here.

I go with dedicated dwarves. Current fort has a pop limit of 60 (for FPS reasons) and got:

1 weaponsmith/metalcrafter
1 armorsmith/blacksmith
1 mason/architect
1 mechanic
1 carpenter/woodcrafter
1 stonecrafter/bonecrafter
3 strand extractors
6 furnace operators
1 woodburner/soaper
1 potash maker/lye maker
2 stone detailers
1 cook/farmer
1 brewer/farmer
1 gemcutter/gemsetter
1 weaver/clothesmaker
1 tanner/leatherworker
1 miller/papermaker
1 papermaker/bookbinder
4 farmer/hauler
10 marksdwarves

Rest is hauling. Got 7 mercenaries as well.

should have dedicated metalsmiths w/ furnace operator if you care about moods, same with a lot of those

for stockpiles I create an industrial level of my fort with individual wood stone gem and bar/block stockpiles that are all right next to their respective workshops and food stockpile next to dining hall. everything else like weapons, armor, finished goods go into a giant stockpile near the bedrooms.

Yes, that fucker took a candy bar.

Any guesses?

>inb4 toy boat

There it is without the shading.

bones are the main component?
I'll say short sword

Wood was main component (on last page).

Wood crown. Still worth ~390k dorfbucks.

I wish there was a way to trap ghosts in a room so when I throw elf merchants down in my pit, they'll all kill each other

I just started but this game is crazy/overwhelming.

How do things like this exist in the world? Just think about it. Crazy time to be alive.

So...

Gold walls compared to standard masterfully engraved stone walls for my noble quarters?

I theorize you could somewhat reliably do this by putting visitors where you want your ghosts to be, leaving them for a couple of years and then killing them

Why even bother with stone buildings wehen clay exists?

It takes years to build a giant stone keep/entrance/castle over the entrance to your underground home.

Less than 2 years out of clay. Even got some shacks and a tavern for new migrants so I never have to open my caves to the surface

Well, time to make a miasma ghost pit fit with vermin remains and chinese water torture in case they fall asleep

Less time and labor expensive to build a mason workshop in your quarry and then spit out 4 rock blocks/boulder which can be hauled quickly, this is how boulders are supposed to be used since the move speed/boulder reduction changes.

I think I've got my crash pinned down but to confirm- anyone else here crash in Fort mode during invasions often due to traps in 43.05?
Back to waiting for a functional version I guess.

My metalsmith's forge and craftsdwarf workshops are both cancelling their jobs one at a time with no message associated. I have tons and tons of materials for the jobs, anyone have an idea why? Nothing came up on google.

Did you bug report it?

>Back to waiting for a functional version I guess.
Yeah, that'll take 10-15 years, mate.

The bug report exists a few times over. No need for more dupes.
Your faith in the Toady One far exceeds my own pious one.

>warm native gold walls
that's a little scary.

The craftsdwarf one is only doing it with engraving slabs, to be clear. Wipes out the order within a couple seconds with no message, 4 dwarves with the labor enabled.

do you have stockpiles linked to the workshops?

Should I even bother with marksdwarves and all the hassle the are, or should I just make another 10 axedwarves

Ah shit, that's it. I didn't think it was the workshop link since my metal stockpile had the required bars and still wasn't working, but I forgot it wasn't one solid stockpile due to the limit in size, and the dorfs had piled all the bars in the other one. Thanks.