youtube.com/watch?v=MQHDYq6AGLM
youtube.com/watch?v=2WskizvWP9E
youtube.com/watch?v=ZAqd-q8tLZA
youtube.com/watch?v=oUQk24VBF4s
youtube.com/watch?v=3Tvgaix4jZ0
palmsprings.craigslist.org/cto/5586001585.html
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Finally, it's time.

Look at me forgetting to upload the fucking picture.

I want to get a convertible one.

I have one for sale near me for $400. Autotragic and white, misfiring on 2/3 cylinders so it barely moves.

I was contemplating getting it but ehhhh. Two metros is too much.

I went to tech school with a guy that had a 4 door metro and his cousin had a 2 door. They would purposely crash into each other if they saw each other while driving around town. It was like a hit and run demo derby that left people really fucking confused if they saw it happen.

>browsing for metros on carsforsale
>find one dealer who wants $4995
>FOUR THOUSAND NINE HUNDRED AND NINETY FIVE AMERICAN DOLLARS
>offer him $800 just to be an ass and continue browsing

anyway, why are these things so hard to find? did a lot get crushed during cash4clunkers or am I just shit at finding them?

I guess it wouldn't be too bad given the low mass involved in the collision

heres mine

Dumping my folder.

I had the same issue for the longest time. I had to sit and watch craigslist for a good 6months before I finally found a few that weren't either rolling shells or $5000 stealership 'deals'.

I have two of these. Currently trying to get this one up and running, won't pass smog and not sure why. Replaced plugs and wires, about to replace distributor cap and rotor. Also doing a radiator and starter replacement.

that sucks
THIS whole situation sucks. how much did you end up paying, eventually?

I scored a pretty decent deal on mine.

Drove about 50miles away for it, but it had 80,000 original miles on the 4cyl, 5speed, no other options just the standard LSi trim. Talked the guy down to $800 from $1200 because of a leak from the pan and the fucked exhaust/missing O2.

On my drive home I found out it only had a quart or so of oil in it and little to no coolant, god knows how long it was driven like that. But I did some maintenance, it still had the stock sparkplugs, the exhaust was rusted off before the cat, the belt was also factory and squealed like a damn pig, and now it runs like a wet dream 10,000miles later. No hiccups.

Greetings, Amerifriends, have a nice thread!

Hi Twingo! Thanks for stopping by.

There's actually two near me. One for $1900 which looks to be in great shape, but it's an automatic.
There's another for $350 that's not running and has a bunch of issues listed, but is a manual.

If I had the space I'd buy both and convert the good one to manual. Or fix up the cheap one if it's not too rusted.

I also found a non-running Suzuki Swift GT, which has the twincam 4-cyl. The exterior is beat to shit, but has a nice interior. Kinda overpriced for a non-runner. Still they are rare, especially the DOHC models, so I'd be tempted to make an offer on it if I had space.

Aww man.. I've always wanted one of the DOHC ones or the turbo'd pontiac firefly.

I want to slap a turbo on my metro, keep it under moderate boost so it's still reliable as hell and will get decent mpgs while being more peppy.
Then I can finally pass minivans without having to shift into 2nd gear!

Here's the link as I probably won't be getting it myself. It's in Philly if you're near. Might be worth getting to try and resuscitate. At the least that GT interior is worth saving. The seats look awesome.
newyork.craigslist.org/brx/cto/5571494139.html

that's a citroen ax man

Oh you're right. That was mislabeled wherever I found it.

Should veeate Metro be my lemons car?

no probs. here's some ax fun for you
youtube.com/watch?v=MQHDYq6AGLM

>Should veeate Metro be my lemons car?

Oh that's good.

You inspired me to dig up some rally vids relevant to the thread.
youtube.com/watch?v=2WskizvWP9E
youtube.com/watch?v=ZAqd-q8tLZA

Also found this one just built to the maximum.
youtube.com/watch?v=oUQk24VBF4s

Filthy crossboarder here, visiting from /g/. How good is a Metro as a first car for a college poorfag? I've heard that thier gas mileage is incredible, but are they expensive to take care of or insure? I see them for sale in my area pretty cheap, and I wanna see if I can buy one without it being a money pit.

>why are these things so hard to find? did a lot get crushed during cash4clunkers or am I just shit at finding them?

You're just shit at finding them.

We didn't lose them to cash4clunkers, we mostly lost them because in their prime, they were generally cheaper to replace than repair, and for the most part they remain that way.

I had a 1996 base model with the am/fm stereo being the only option. As I recall we paid about $3000 for it in the year 1998, with very low mileage. PO wanted to sell it before the warranty expired, dealership was trying to screw him on the trade. As a result it was still covered by factory warranty for the first 5000 or so miles I drove it, and I did get warranty work done on the fuel gauge (sending unit?)

People wanting $5000 for this thing are out of their mind. Someone with a long freeway commute who doesn't know any better might buy it, though, and that's who they're angling for. these things invoiced under $8000 when new.

Mine died a horrible death, really. It needed 2 transmissions before 100,000 miles (5-speed), but that was probably the fault of my teenage self slam-shifting it all day erry day. The vibrations of extended high-rpm operation eventually cracked the hub out of the timing belt pulley on the crank, so it lost cam timing. A replacement pulley was literally hundreds of dollars, so I said fuck that, we have a little 110v mig welder, I can fix this. The cam/spark/injection timing was never quite right after that (timing marks were on the piece that broke off), and from the feel of it, the car was down at least 20% power for the rest of it's life, but the weld only broke once, and the re-welded pulley was still intact when it went to the scrapyard.

Also I mashed it straight into a guardrail after spinning out on a straight stretch of road at 80 MPH. Pancaked up to the tires, airbag deployment, etc. We stripped the front bodywork off, had a redneck frame shop pull the car "straight", never reported it.

It's pretty much perfect for that.

They're overall very cheap cars to own & run. Very simple and easy to work on & maintain. These are easy to fix yourself, but even if you prefer paying someone to work on them these are still cheap cars to maintain. Keep it maintained and one of these will run forever.

Buying a car that's not a money pit depends is all about buying the right car in the first place. Inspect the car very carefully and be prepared to walk away. If you buy crap it'll be crap. Watch this series of videos on inspecting a used car youtube.com/watch?v=3Tvgaix4jZ0

What kind of failure? HC or NOx? At idle or cruise?

I think it's been done... I vaguely recall a rear-engine northstar swap?

I know there's a midwest team that consistently campaigns a rear-engine metro with the V6 powertrain out of an SHO Contour. They run a whole bunch of contour-based stuff.

Not a money pit if you get the stickshift. The engines on automatic cars tend to burn themselves up pretty quickly for whatever reason - seems like every cheap automatic metro I've seen has a rod knocking, a lifter clacking, or both. Could just be my bad luck. I live in a very hilly area, and automatic Metro's around here would be spending a lot of their time full-throttle in first.

Looked into the Northstar swap, could only find a Maxima. Still really cool.

You guys really are getting shit luck there. I only payed 700$ Canadian for mine. Had to wait a year tho. Only thing wrong is every time I fill up gas. I need to put fuel injector cleaner in it or runs on 2 cylinders. Idk why tho

pretty nice, despite the problems

HC at idle

lots of oxygen in exhaust

>not having at least 2.0 displacement
>not having at least 4 cylinders

Rate my metro

My vert

>no god tier Firefly Turbo

you can always turbo a g13b if you want.

>find a vert
>it's pink
I'm seriously considering pulling the trigger on it, but I've got a hangup on the color

DO IT. DONT BE A BITCH

somebody help this lil nigga out:

Here you go if anyone lives near here.
palmsprings.craigslist.org/cto/5586001585.html

Are metros naturally vulnerable to rust? I've been trying to get rust on mine under control, and now I notice that just about every metro I see also has rust.

Probably. I live in a SoCal desert and my 1991 is starting to show signs

well, the pink vert I posted has probably been dailyed in and around Ohio from ~20 years worth of winters so I can't say that they are if that's all the rust it's got on it

last one is cool as fuck, would love to drive one of those little bastards

yeah, kind of, also if the frame horns are rusted through then the car is pretty much totalled.

Like I said before ask on geometroforum, they're experts and you won't get shit from Veeky Forums.

British Metro reporting for duty.

What engine is that? I haven't seen a camshaft cover like that before.

Here's one I bought that had sat in a ladies garden for nearly five years for £170 (

It's a 3 cylinder G10

how is the range on the metro. considering picking one up to use on a couple of different road trips during the summer

not for those ridiculous prices.

it's the 1.0L 3cyl, same as a regular Metro, just a slightly different valve cover
I've seen them both ways but the ones with the lines running across are more commo

10.5 gallon tank, 40-50 miles per gallon for the 3cyl 5-speed