/agdg/ - Amateur Game Dev General

EngineDev Edition.

>Space Jam is over. Play games and leave feedback.
itch.io/jam/agdg-space-jam

>Next Demo Day (X)
itch.io/jam/agdg-demo-day-10

Helpful Links: tools.aggydaggy.com/# (Still in beta, as if that's an excuse)
New Threads: Archive: boards.fireden.net/vg/search/subject/agdg/
SoundCloud: soundcloud.com/groups/agdg-audiofriends

>Previous Demo Days
pastebin.com/X6fLvtzA

>Previous Jams
pastebin.com/hVhvNWLw

>Chats
discord.gg/chquY2e
steamcommunity.com/groups/vgamedevcrew
webchat.freenode.net/?channels=vidyadev

>Engines
GameMaker: yoyogames.com/gamemaker
Godot: godotengine.org/
Haxe: haxeflixel.com/
LÖVE: love2d.org/
UE4: unrealengine.com/what-is-unreal-engine-4
Unity: unity3d.com/

> Models/art/textures/sprites
opengameart.org/
blender-models.com/
mayang.com/textures/

>Free audio
machinimasound.com/
freesound.org/browse/
incompetech.com/music/
freemusicarchive.org/

Other urls found in this thread:

poal.me/ojtspe
strawpoll.me/10913014
dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/26630920/tinycar_traversal 0.13/tinycar_traversal 0.html
hexundev.tumblr.com/
gameprogrammingpatterns.com/
leddev.tumblr.com/
youtube.com/watch?v=7BwS36IA_Wg
youtube.com/watch?v=7FTnMVOuNKM
soundcloud.com/Jasozz
drive.google.com/file/d/0B2n6ItDiGNp2VDhBMWVqdGxJQ1E/view
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

what movie is that from?

Memento

Who HYPED for lewd jam here?

Honestly Villain Jam would probably be better.

new menu screen, isn't it too rpg maker-esque?

Literally Undertale.

It doesn't fit your games style, it's very out of place

The menu should fit in with the background

Do you guys recommend any books or videos to jump into c++ before using UE4? Or should the video tutorials they provided be enough? Want to learn from beginner to more advanced topics before moving with it.

0-4:Magic Game
5-9:Boat game

Never ending poll continues...

Lewd jam is still beatable! Comfy forest jam must win!

poal.me/ojtspe
poal.me/ojtspe
poal.me/ojtspe

This is important, need to see if there's a reason for that many votes on the lewd jam theme.

strawpoll.me/10913014

>tfw wrong thread
console pet dev here
i'm thinking of working on a sequel
i will be adding 2-frame animations for each pet so you can visually appreciate your best friend
also dungeon crawling
anything you guys would like to see? very open to ideas/suggestions to give this game more direction (beyond being the most realistic pet simulator available)

just keep on creating polls until lewd jam loses :^)

first for still memeing with own engine

several times a day but I didn't vote for lewd jam

you get the idea

can anyone recommend a comfy IDE for C that run on debian based distros?

>People are genuinely afraid of lewd games

Why?

i am a young artist looking to work on games with concept art or stuff, where can i go to find interested developers?

They aren't afriad, they are annoyed that is an artist oriented jam, like waifu jam was.

Lewd "games" are always more lewd than actual game.
They're also 80% art and 15% writing. Game mechanics barely even matter.

Problem with lewd games for me is that you can't freely show them around like other games. They are also art intensive, pixel art or low poly doesn't work so well with lewd. These two factors alone make it an unsuitable theme for a jam.

I can't believe there's people who fap less than once a day here. Fucking degenerates.

>want to make a 2D top-down game
>all my ideas work better as sidescrollers or in 3D
Fuck.

makes sense

Not sure how many indie devs are looking for concept art, but try tigsource or some shit

>Twice a day for a couple of minutes

you may have some issues if this is you

Damn it guys just:

Make lewd jam AND the next highest rated jam at the same time.
There is LITERALLY no reason no to do so instead of pointless arguing for 20 more threads.

gm:s' 3d has exceeded it's expected shitiness, but ways around appear to have been found
nonetheless the threat of being forced to switch engines still looms over the game
pictured is the system of stage model assembly based on tiles, display is hidden when it needs to be

>people who argue about jam theme won't make the game anyway

Character design?

Can Unity's particle system be overrided?

A E S T H E T I C

Honestly you don't need to switch engines unless you're having a lot of trouble right now. You can keep the style like this.

I need help /agdg/, someone with custom engine here? I decided to make one and I'm really struggling with it.
It's not the coding part, I know C++ very well for almost 3 years now and SDL2 isn't really that hard either, my problem is the structuring part.
I mean I could start right away and write code and eventually came up with a game, but my real goal is to make something more reusable and maintainable.
I'm trying to do the component entity system thing, but I just can't, could someone guide me?

please include this as a bonus level in the final build

its one guy, he did this last time as well (except last time he just kept making polls until he got what he wanted)

i made a game with similar art, a while back called "tiny car traversal"

link: dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/26630920/tinycar_traversal 0.13/tinycar_traversal 0.html

its a long shot. but is this inspired by that, by any chance? (cuz thatd be awesome, but if not, play my game and get inspired or think wtf is this shit or wahtever)

fun trivia: that menu image was fanart drawn by blockhead dev, which only oldfag agdg'ers will know who that is

why the fuck arent driving mechanics carried over to other genres? its pretty obvious that simple movement mechanics were mastered and old as fuck like 10 years ago. i guess its the narrative tropes, but those got stale as fuck ages ago. burrito game seems to "get it" that regular movement sucks now, but AAA devs where is my road rash/zombie game crossover? where is my skate mechanics meets a heist style FPS game. what the fuck are theey even doing just churning out the same shit that got stale 2000 millenia ago. FUCK.

ok im done with spoilers but tinycar was inspired by Muppets Racing on PS1, and their obstacle course mode so you should check that out for inspo. + your game looks good, but depth blur is a meme, use distance fog/lower saturation textures like a pro

A E S T H E T I C

Then why don't we just ignore him and make the itch page for both jams

Look up ECS, and structure your engine to do the same.

That's the future of game engines.

Ask this guy: hexundev.tumblr.com/
He uses his own engine.

Also, this might be a good place to learn somethings gameprogrammingpatterns.com/

This guy too leddev.tumblr.com/

>Game mechanics barely even matter.
That's just being lazy. Make them matter. Be fucking creative.

So you're saying make a good game then stick lewd shit on it. That's even worse.

Much better.
Would play

don't listen to this guy ECS is a meme in most cases and you're needlessly adding complexity
fell in the same trap myself

It's about time I turn all my mostly-functional UI into a mostly-functional battle system.

Wish me luck?

>fun trivia: that menu image was fanart drawn by blockhead dev
WHERE IS HE

tank game dev here, I haven't seen your game before but it is really cool & similar haha

I definitely agree that even in well trodden genres like racing there is still so much low hanging fruit, not really related to anything but I think it's great that indies are breaking into 3d a lot more lately thanks to unity

>I can't believe there's people who fap less than once a day here. Fucking degenerates.
some of us here aren't nodevs

>So you're saying make a good game then stick lewd shit on it. That's even worse.
Actually it's the smartest plan ever
>sell non-lewd version on steam and other marketplaces for the masses
>offer free patch for H content
>get normal players AND horny players
>200% the profit

Still looks great. You thought about what kind of music you want in the game? I'd be down to put together some cutesy Wii-Play-Tanks kinda tracks for you.

>that graphic design
terrible. "START" should be under the orange bit of the header, since it implies an arrow.

correct, you are salty nodevs.

lets be honest here, the nodevs are the ones who want lewd games because don't want to make it themselves

unityfags i need your help with something real quick, i just finished building my new pc, solid state drive, dual monitors, the works and im getting round to installing unity on it, the current version im on is 5.3.3 and im wondering if downloading the latest version is going to cause problems, i remember upgrading from 5.0 to 5.3 messed up all my scene management

so if i upgrade to current will i have any issues? and is current the best version, are there previous ones which are a bit more bug free

Can you imagine how much money bethesda would be making if they did this

Forgot my screenshot.

he got a job at amazon and left the indie lyfe i think

> same texture
> same colors
> same concept
similarities are pretty nuts considering none of this is common, maybe we have the same kind of brain/inspirations or something. you got a tumblr?

I use current version, had no issue moving a 5.1 to current

>hey girls, this is user
>user is a game developer
>well, what are you working on user

POST PROGRESS

I'm making Pokemon, but better!

Watch this progress
*unzips dick*

No **I** want to make the music for you!!
Just kidding I already have 2 games literally aaaaaaa

oh dang, that'd be awesome. where can I get in contact with you?

I'm not super aware of what type of music I want but this is the kinda stuff I've been listening to while I make the game

youtube.com/watch?v=7BwS36IA_Wg
youtube.com/watch?v=7FTnMVOuNKM

I'm working on user's game, a game made by user, game that's being worked on by user, user's game being made specifically by user to be a game.

This literally triggers me I'm having a panic attack

alright so a quick catch up
all I have left is:
>a ray trace for detecting when a wall is infront of the player
>smoothing between the cells the player moves though so they don't "skip" to them instantly
>and literally having something to do

ya here u go :==DDD :D :=D

A game about farting next to girl at parties and going unnoticed, it's for the stealth jam we are having.

Faksbsjdhdjbdgdjsve

More RNG nebula generation. It's looking pretty crispo

who farted?
AHAHAAHAHAHA

alright then if you say so, i only remember having problems with some of the scene management but it was a pain to fix it all in one day

It already exists

the game was always intended to be billboard-based 2.5d and gm:s' repertoire of functions seemed to be enough for what i wanted to do, but the performance is a bit of a concern here.
debugger shows that game logic itself is very fast, but when a lot of particles get on the screen and action gets hot, the excess number of frames doesn't quite satisfy me and while it's always more than enough to keep a steady 60fps and that's without yyc, i'm a tad worried about weaker machines.
maybe if i find good public domain photos suitable for it i will

I will check, thanks user!

That looks great, user

>that game logic itself is very fast, but when a lot of particles get on the screen and action gets hot, the excess number of frames doesn't quite satisfy me and while it's always more than enough to keep a steady 60fps and that's without yyc, i'm a tad worried about weaker machines.
Are you batching properly? If your logic is not what's affecting FPS then you need to make sure all those effects are properly batched.
Don't forget to cull things, no sense in rendering off-screen sprites.

Artists are devs too

t. writefag

Ah I gotcha, kind of a jaunty chippy feel to the music? That's probably doable.

You can listen to some of my stuff at
soundcloud.com/Jasozz

If you've got SoundCloud you can just message me on there, or just shoot me an email at [email protected]

Yeah I've got two active projects also haha. I just get more joy from taking on smaller projects like composition that I can realistically complete. Or maybe I really enjoy sabotaging myself. Who can say

refactoring

Finished making this game with 2 friends last month, first time working together, what do you guys think? (26mb)
drive.google.com/file/d/0B2n6ItDiGNp2VDhBMWVqdGxJQ1E/view

Its a pixel art game where you control a priest defending his church from monsters, every time you kill a monster you gain points, gaining random spells after gaining a certain amount of points. Z,X,space are used for attacking/jumping, with specials skills being used by other keys.

Mine is going to be better.

frig off

holocaust jam when?

WHO DEV
WHO DEV
WHO DEV
WHO DEV
WHO DEV

Never said they aren't. But some people wan't to focus the jams only on mechanics..
We could make 2 simultaneous jams, one focused on mechanics and other focused on art/theme, or switch between them each time.

this is my first time posting here

Screenshots?

Just as a heads up, we have never seen you here before and the first post you have made if for shilling, so expect no one to download your game. Maybe some screenshots will help with feedback but this is quite bad form on your behalf.

Try to participate in the community before dropping links to your finished product.

>mixels

thanks for replying
batching is in a rather good standing as far as i can see, though i'll be trying to further reduce the number of batches
culling breaks the sprite flipping, but will be activated for backgrounds

Yeah having to walk into the next frame would look much better.
Making progress though.