Shit

/thread

Triggers murricucks so it's good.

cue the Civic Type R laptimes

Assmad gm fangirl spotted

terrible bait

must be american

marketing for boy racers.
pointless for a race car, pointless for a street car except for hooners.

constantly variable is better, or multi stage like the new vtec. performance wise it offers little since "race" cars are rarely if ever out of a 2k range of rpm and you dont want the extra complexity or mass.

its good for mpg though if thats what they're using it for.

once electronic or pneumatic valves are the norm it will be a lot better. very accurate infinitely variable timing and lift and then it can be a big improvement in performance or mpg as a whole i think depending how it's tuned.

but as most of the systems are now it's for hp numbers and for hooning.

Useless unless paired with Super Eurobeat.

The two, combined with a few simple mods let an EG Civic hatch set a record Burgerring lap time.

it just kicks in

>doesn't know about i-vtec

It's just the best what else could be said

>always owned v8 or turbo 6 and 4 cars..
>friend buys a type r civic
>WAIT FOR THE VTEC TO KICK IN BRO ITS AWESOME
>we go for a drive.. Get back to my place
>s-so when's the VTEC kicking in?

Overhyped shitboxes desu.. Not saying they aren't fun and good cars cause for the price and fwd they're hard to beat. But VTEC is so fucking gutless.. Honda should've just turboed cars instead of fucking around with vtec.

ivtec is the same as single cam vanos.

i like it because it's meant for mpg. that's what all variable timing and lift should be for until it's advanced enough to do everything at all ranges.

the whole point of vct/vvt is that it gets you power and economy/driveability.
it's not about just one thing.

>ITT clueless people talking about VTEC
K no other manufacturer can put out the power Honda has with 4cyl unless it's with a turbo.

>can
yes they "can" they just didn't need to as they didn't built their performance/marketing strategy around it.

Buttblasted fuckboi detected

How's ur k swapped coupe going swaggot?

The more advanced ones are. The old ones aren't, vtec certainly is only for power.

I mean I guess i'll just retype my first post for you.
When they are more advanced and using pneumatic and/or electronic valves they'll be able to have infinite maps over the entire range for all purposes. but as they are now, it's still 2000 tech.

in a certain range is the point.. you cant affect the entire range without a variable map on both cams. the current lift systems are linear and mostly only on intake. because that's the easiest and cheapest way to do it.

you need electronic or pneumatic actuated valves to completely control the timing and lift in a non-linear way.

you can't say vtec is only for power or only for economy, it's illogical.
that's like saying twin choke carbs are for power not economy.
the idea is that you get both.

>bigger valve profile
>not for performance
>ever

it's not illogical. you don't get both.
vtec is a completely different cam profile whose profile is not meant for economy at all.
economy and power are not inherently linked.

when you hit the gas and open up a secondary choke you are not getting better economy.

ur dumb

Variable cam technology is always cool no matter the label. But shitposters love honda so this thread is already beyond saving.

no it's illogical because they give you a power and an economy cam profile.
it doesn't make sense to say they added an economy profile as a bonus, or to say they added a performance profile as a bonus.
you get both, end of.
yes when you open up the secondary choke you don't get economy.
but when you don't, you do. that's the point.
it's really simple.

Sitting at a cool 280whp thanks

You get the MPG-tuned cam profile down low, and the power-tuned cam profile up top. It's literally made to give you both power and economy.

>doesn't understand variable timing
>u-u-r d-d-dumb
you sure are bud

>implying i'm the one who doesn't understand
so dumb

>vtec is a completely different cam profile whose profile is not meant for economy at all.
and this is where you are wrong. the performance lobe is not vtec. it's just a performance lobe.
vtec is just honda's concept and mechanism of having two cam profiles on one shaft

There was vtec-e and three stage vtec in the 90s.

Thank you captain obvious.

not at the same time you fucking dunce. youre compromising one for the other. welcome to engine tuning 101.

Obviously you won't get economy when you're in the high RPMs on the performance profile. It just means you have an engine that can do both economy and performance, depending on the situation.

sure it's obvious but the guy i replied to didn't seem to get it and thought the performance lobe was vtec. maybe taking the vtec just kicked in thing literally?

but no one said it was at the same time...

Cool when it does shit like this I guess.

doesn't that mean the crossover point is set wrong?

imagine their faces at honda when the guy working on vtec comes in to work one day and shows them this shit

It's just regular variable valve timing.

not really

>vtec
>timing

why haven't you killed yourself yet?

It's just a stupid thing to say.
>vtec is just the name of the technology
>it's not the name of the cam profile
like.. what. you're just stating the obvious for no reason and not actually making a point.

see my first post. it says nothing about vvt or vvl being bad, it's good.
it just says race engines don't use vvt/l because there's no point they are built for the top 10% rpm range and they don't need the extra mass of another profile or the complexity of a hydraulic system for no reason.
so it's market is stock engine hooning. which for me is pointless, so my opinion is that it's pointless.

if I want an economy car I'll buy an economy car. If I want to go fast I'll build a car to be fast without economy as a priority.
I don't need to pay more for a marketing gimmick I don't need or want. the op asks for opinions, not facts.

but, when they allow the entire valve assemblies to be pneumatic or electronic you'll see them in race cars without cams at all.
even for club racing the first thing you do is remove vtec, vanos, etc.
as of now no F1 car or LMP1 car uses vvt/l even though there could probably be gains from it even in a small rpm range.
but not enough to justify the weight or complexity at this time is my guess.

vtec does change timing.. you can see it in the lobes.
you should probably stop commenting on things you have no idea about.

pic unrelated right?

> Variable valve Timing and lift Electronic Control

> he doesnt understand how variable valve timing works
>he belives variable valve timing means longer duration

TOP KEK

>increased duration is variable timing
yeah i suppose but cmon man thats stretching it

> posts picture suggesting he's laughing uncontrollably
> not laughing

I did not laugh indeed, but it was certainly something like "haha look at this retard"

it could be variable timing if they wanted it to be. all they would have to do is rotate the other lobe.

>if I want an economy car I'll buy an economy car. If I want to go fast I'll build a car to be fast without economy as a priority.
Some people want a somewhat fast car with acceptable economy when needed.
There can be multiple reasons for this, such as not having enough space for two cars or just plain not enough money to own multiple vehicles.

yeah but it isnt so what's your point lmao

thats what i-vtec does, but regular vtec is variable lift

The name is wrong then?

probably

after all it should be VVTLEC

>>he belives variable valve timing means longer duration
it does

>ITS NOT VARIABLE TIMING
>YES IT IS
>repeat
nice thread guys

It's cool, but I laugh when I see someone that put different pistons, con rods, and a turbo on a motor and still has vtec.

Its nothing amazing but its still good considering how many companies now have their own version of it

so what would u suggest removing vtec?
>lets downgrade the valvetrain because user said so

not really

variable timing changes the timing of the camshaft relative to the crankshaft position it doesnt change the duration of the lift

variable duration does changes the amount of time the valve is open

surely the same system can work for both, but its not the same concept

Every good car company now has their own vtec. It's an old meme since Honda hasn't produced any car worth buying nowadays

>like.. what. you're just stating the obvious for no reason and not actually making a point
yes, because the person i replied to didn't understand "the obvious".
i simply wanted to correct him, not make a point.

Variable cam/valve shenanigans are banned in F1, not sure about other motorsports

It's vvt
Every brand has it under some marketing term

No it isn't you absolute mong.

>VTEC (Variable Valve Timing and Lift Electronic Control)

Clueless cunt.

>its VVT

except it isnt

It's okay that you're retarded, but don't think its something special

Clueless busrider.

>yfw I own a honda
It's a simple concept, man. I don't understand how you have trouble with what vvt is

vvt is advancing and retarding the cam sprocket

I used to think vtec was cool before I bought a turbo car. Now I think it's just cute. Like babbys attempt at emulating a turbo car. Or the guy up there bragging about 280 whp

what do you mean?
it's just variable valve timing, so you have two cam profiles (or more) with one set of camshafts.

That's not variable valve timing. Vvt is sightly turning the cam so the events happen at different TIMES. Vtec is variable valve timing of both cams AND variable valve LIFT.

In 1992 this allowed honda to make a 200 hp fuel efficient 4 cylinder. Everyone was BTFO with their 200 hp 6s and 250 hp v8. Everyone stole. Vtec is GOAT.

This 2bh fammilia.
Peasants can't into multiple languages.
Such poor minds, wish people would understand more.

i can smoke the fuck out of whatever you drive in my 1994 EG hatch with a couple of simple mods:

- 10 point cage with Parachute
- 3 piece discontinued JoJo frontend
- spec-R full drag suspension
- Fuel cell with -8 lines from tank to motor
- 1 044 bosch pump
- 1200 rc injectors
- golden eagle sleeved block
- cp 10:1 pistons
- Eagle rods
- arp headstuds
- oem h22 headgasket
- Balance shaft delete
- competition clutch twin disc
- Port and polished head
- skunk2 valve springs and retainers
- Str cam gears
- crower stage 1 cams
- aluminium radiator with slim fan
- gsr transmission with itr lsd.
- qsd h2k intake manifold adapter
- k20 rbc manifold
- qsd throttle body spacer
- blox 70mm throttle body
- 4bar omni map sensor
- 6al msd with coil and cap. 3 step launch control
- hks bov
- Garret 102mm turbocharger.
- Custom t4 front facing turbo manifold with 44mm flange
- 44mm tial wastegate
- Custom water to air intercooler set up
- aem eugo wideband w/ gauge
- tuned on chipped p28
- 13 inch volks drag rims
- 2 15 inch volks rear rims
- arp extended wheel studs
- si cluster
- 150 shots of nitrous

im making 248 horsepower to the FRONT WHEELS because thats the only place the power should ever be.

yes yes yes, I wasn't trying to be precise, just trying to explain that it's not mutually exclusive with turbocharging

Adorable

Assmad Honda fanbitch spotted

kek, he really is booty bothered

Do you know what tsukuba is? Have you ever played gran turismo? Its a fucking go cart track.

Lol everyone hates GM

VTEC is just basically adding more fuel when you punch it. Valve timing electronic control. Damn near every car nowadays has VTEC

Nothing
Special
About
It

youtube.com/watch?v=KTy8F692cpk

/thread

Fun, also gets fun reactions from grills in the passenger seat