>post what you've upgraded
>post how much you love the damned thing
>post any variants of "should I buy this BMW?' or "should I buy a BMW?"

Other urls found in this thread:

motortrend.com/news/sampling-bmw-racing-cars-of-the-pas-20-years/
spacecoast.craigslist.org/cto/5586050241.html
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Original on OP photo please

since this thread is nice and fresh I'm going to use this opportunity to blogpost and ask for input on my little interior revamp.
I have an E39 with a sand interior and chromeline trim. It looks like pic related, but I'm heterosexual so it has three pedals.
things I want to do/have done
>installed chrome rings around gauge cluster
>ordered black floor mats to replace tan
>ordered piano black trim to replace fake wood
>ordered black shift knob to replace fake wood
>ordered black M5 chromeline speaker covers for door
I think it's gonna look pretty neat. My dilemma relates to the shifter and handbrake boots. I'm set on the shifter boot being tan with black stitching. However, I don't know if I should keep the handbrake tan to match the shift boot, or change it to black to keep with the two tone setup.
input?

these are the M5 speaker covers I'm talking about

and this is sort of how I expect it to look in the end

Overall I think the trim looks better with the two tone, but that chrome speaker is going to throw it all off. It will basically be what draws your eye. Now I'm honestly not a fan of gauge rings, but if you do get them, at least get something like satin aluminium, same goes for the speakers.

I'm converting my E46 black/sand interior to black/anthracite. the hard part is finding intact anthracite interiors at yards, and I'm not paying 1100 shekels for just the fucking carpets from OEM

currently my interior looks almost exactly like this
get alcantara shift/brake boots while you're at it, they're cheap at bimmian I think

How much did the black trim cost you?
All I can find a a full carbon fiber look-a-like trim set for $800 on Amazon.

I don't have the original but it was part of some "classic" racecar photoshoot with the CSL and all.

Oh look it's the first thing to come up on Google.
motortrend.com/news/sampling-bmw-racing-cars-of-the-pas-20-years/

Got a full used set off eBay for 300 buckaroos. Hoping to sell the fake wood for a hundred some to make some of that back too.

Normally aluminum would be the way to go but it looks like ass with the the sand interior.

That's exactly what I'm doing, I was just wondering about the color.
I'm really leaning towards just switching the current color scheme and doing tan shifter and black handbrake.

accidentally recorded in black & white but

>inspecting parking brake components to see if they're at all salvageable
>the fuck is that inside my spring

it is a piece of the spring that has broken off. early model e46 s are notorious for this. time for new springs senpai.

The springs break like that when the dampers are worn out.

i mean obviously

the real question is whether I should divert supercharger funds for a suspension overhaul or just get some eibach springs off tire rack and limp on tired dampers for another two months

it takes about 50 bucks and half an hour to change both rear shocks. just did mine earlier today son. do both you turd.

you should also consider getting Euro spec lower dash parts. the US e39s have extra thickness in the lower dash parts, taking away legroom and disrupting the lines from the doorcards to the dash.

E39s have a underwhelming soundsystem, so I just got a P300-12 Sub/amp, I tucked the wiring away nicely in the cabin at least. Sounds good for $200 dollars. Look into an audio solution, too OP.

2003 325xi for sales. 3600 ducks. silver on black 156k premium packages.

spacecoast.craigslist.org/cto/5586050241.html

Are 323s worth a look?

4k is a lot for an E36 323, you can get a salvageable E36 M3 or a nice E46 325 5 speed for less than that

that one looks pretty nice though, all the mods he listed are really more of maintenance and upkeep that you would have to do anyway. I would say keep it on your radar but I'm biased toward E46

Maybe, but not that one.

the white painted mouldings look disgusting

Yes you need to fix your broken suspension before adding more power. Do you have a deathwish?

i want to go out on my own terms

Me too, but that is what the sport bike is for.

For my budget Ive only seen e46s with 135k-200k miles on them. How reliable and costly are they?

Painted mouldings only look good with widebody.

Otherwise you have no detail.

Also that exhaust is laughable.

10k a year is well within the limits of normal wear. mine is 130k and healthy, but exceptionally so I admit

reliability and cost depend on you. if you wait until something goes wrong and then pay a mechanic to fix it, you're going to get raped into miserable poverty and hate yourself and your car. if you own a flashlight and a metric socket set you can identify and prevent just about every one of the usual boogeymen

with reference to my own E46's maintenance records, the last owner spent 2 years and $2-3k trying to solve issues like belt squeal, floating idle, vacuum leak, etc. no less than 4 different mechanics charged him for new pulleys, shims, compression testing, gaskets etc. When I got it home, I searched on google and got my shoebox of tools and it took me about 2 days and $200 to fix everything

Replaced a cracked oil filter housing (one mechanic charged for shims that didn't work, another mechanic sold him new pulleys that didn't work) to re-align the PS pump pulley and cure belt squeal, $100. A vacuum line in plain view on top of the engine block was severed, fixed that for 50 cents. Sprayed brake cleaner ($4) in the idle air control and smacked it with the back of a crescent a few times, no more rev hunting. Replaced the valve cover gasket set ($45) just to be safe, the old one shattered and was probably a couple months away from failing. If you actually fall for the mechanic meme, you will get charged for parts (they'll get used ones from pick & pull and charge you OEM retail) and $100+ per hour of labor, plus core charge :^)

Really basic shit like this is what makes people think these cars are high maintenance, expensive, or difficult to repair. Read pelicanparts.com and watch youtube videos and you will enjoy a long and prosperous companionship with your auto and never be bent over the bed by lying kikes ever again. just typing this out got me all riled up for the next shoah desu senpai

I had to order a new headlight socket for my E46 M3.

Prongs on bottom of the light that go into the socket isn't wanting to stay/clip in on pass side.

This week I'm probably putting her down for a while.

I need to service the diff, check valves, overhaul VANOS and the cooling system.

I'm pretty nervous with correctly positioning each of the intake and exhaust hubs after changing out the cam bolts. I can't fathom why you have to rotate them the way you do since TDC is locked but whatever. Gonna be doing it myself. All guides show differently too and never explain it.

Engine mounts I feel need to be changed as well. I have 116k and rod bearings were done under recall in the upper 30k miles. May be time to do them again soon??

Lots of pics to come.

Do an oil analysis to see how your rod bearings are doing. I recently took of the valve cover gasket to check the tabs and thankfully the tabs weren't broken. Still gonna bulletproof it for peace of mind

All the cars I ever seen in these threads are poorfag plebmobiles.

Does anyone here own a BMW worth over $40k?

Yeah I have a sample from last change I should send in.

And mine has always been fine too. Just preventing anything from happening. I'm still on a stock rad system. I have everything on me to overhaul entirely, just haven't gotten to it.

>All the cars I ever seen in these threads are poorfag plebmobiles.
>Does anyone here own a Honda worth over $40k?

>All the bikes I ever seen in these threads are poorfag plebmobiles.
>Does anyone here own a bike over $40k?

>All the cars I ever seen in these threads are poorfag plebmobiles.
>Does anyone here own a Datsun worth over $40k?

Go away..

Yeah you should definitely overhaul the cooling system. It's recommended at 100k. I'm only at 78k so I have a long way to go.

It gets done this week.

Wait you're telling me everyone on Veeky Forums owns shit cars?

Oh... wait...

nicee

I enjoy my shitboxes. They're cheap, reliable and easy to work on.
I'd really like an E66 though. Those things look baller as fuck.

Hey BMW faggots! I bought a 1994 E36 318is on Saturday! It has fake BBS on it, but other than that everything actually seems good. Did I do good?

Pic unrelated.

We have more than a few Ms here but nothing over $40k, because that would require that it be brand new and new BMWs are for fags.

Grats on upgrading from the Beleno. First we have to know how many pedals it has...

Was gonna call you a retard for buying a 318 but then noticed the IS. Is it 2 door or 4 door? Automatic?

Manual. Obviously. I'm not that retarded!
And it's a 2 door, burgundy. I haven't actually taken photos of it yet!

Then yes, you did good :)

OOM 500
legend car, legend driver

You did good senpai. The 318is in 2 door form is surprisingly fast and nimble.
Probably the only NA sub 3 litre car I would own.

>owning an expensive new BMW makes you cool and patrician
>old BMWs are no good!

how trailer trash do you have to be to believe that BMW didn't last peak at E46 and remain dormant until last year? I'm mirin shiny new ///Ms as much as the next guy but only a woman or a 4matic owner would go this far to out themselves as a non-enthusiast

My airbox tube thingy that connects from the radiator to the intake has a hole.

Can I use duct tape to seal it?
If I do, what is the worst that can happen?

just go to the junkyard and steal a replacement

or if you decide to tape it just make sure to clean the shit off before actually taping it up or else you'll just be taping the dirt and the tape will fall off

The engine will suck in large amounts of dust and wear out quickly. Hopefully you solve the problem before your piston rings and cylinder bores are fucked.

>low beam bulb goes out
>check realoem, claims car runs H7's
>buy some H7s and attempt to install them
>realize previous owner put some shitty chinese xenons, wiring is so messy i can't even see how they're wired up
>bulb bases are rigged on and after messing around with them for an hour, i was still unable to take them off

I don't even know what to do now, my hands are too fucked up to keep trying right now.
tomrorow i'll figure out how they're wired and remove those pieces of shit and buy the oem h7 holders or something.

>tape adheres poorly
>you go for a run on the tooj
>WOT
>duct tape sucked right into the manifold
>MAF sensor trips SEL
>engine takes a nice big gulp of unfiltered air

Stop being a poorfag and get replacement parts.

Holy fuck that's a big hole.

No, you shouldn't patch that up. Get a replacement, or get a paper cone filter or something if the car is a beater and you can't find/don't want to pay for an OEM intake.

This was my dad's daily driver car for the last 3 years.

He gave it to since he is buying himself an SUV.
Now that it's mine I'm trying to fix all the things that he's been neglecting.

Welp, looks like I have to drive to El Cajon to get a replacement part.

Is that before or after the repairs?

My alternator intake on my old car was like that, ordered a replacement immediately upon finding.

Some colours the non-M cars had were nice and it's a shame they were not production on the M3.

Might be going to look at an 850i this week, post some pics to inspire me to buy it

lol that would be the worst mistake of your life. I hope you do it and come back to tell us about it.

>bought a 1981 E21 for $1300
>have officially put in another 1300 for repairs/things like tires
>problems: still getting 15mpg, odometer and tripometer often get stuck, AC not working
When does this ride end?

what have you done for fuel and air so far?

Nothing yet, just had the fuel-air mixture and idle adjusted. Going to see if I can replace the air filter and fuel filter this weekend. Would this be doable for someone who's never really done their own wrenching before?

If you are going to wrench your self don't buy it. If you have a mechanic who is very competent with electrical, knock yourself out. I own two, one is completely sorted, the other I am slowly bringing back from the dead. Prices are good in US, even better in Canada. Not often you can buy a 100k supercar for 7-9000 with decent miles on the clock.

Honestly, don't bother with the 850

look for an 840, sounds better imo and is way cheaper to maintain.

>If you are going to wrench your self don't buy it
somehow I think I can manage doing it myself

I've been looking at both, found an 840ci and was talking to the guy but was a little too far gone

air filter should be piss easy. fuel filter might take a bit but here's what you should do generally

>lift up car and identify where the fuel filter goes
>might be a plastic cover in the way
>keep note of flow (should be marked on filter, but also double check with manual yours is right way)
>get new filter and possibly fuel hoses rated for the pressure (would recommend to replace on old bmw if you don't know the age of hoses)
>run fuel pump without the fuse in until it stalls
>get 8mm socket /flathead to remove the clamps on fuel filter
>once clamps are out of the way wiggle the hose off both ends
>should be one big clamp holding the filter in place, remove it
>there you go filter is out
>put new filter in
>along with hoses and clamps if you feel it's necessary
>don't forget fuse

iirc fuel injector pressure rated hoses for my e30 ran me about $9 per foot. size was 8mm (5/16")

having pressurized fuel sprayed into your eye isn't fun

Thanks user! Wish me luck. It'll be my first real attempt to fix anything on my car. And I hope it fixes the fuel economy.

post updates on your sand -> schwarz interior conversions

The 8 series is honestly one of the most beautiful cars ever made.

E46 hood is not wanting to open.

The cable I think is fine. It pulls andbis tight. It just seems stock somewhere where the latch is on the front.

I pull the handle then have to get out and pull up on the hood to get it to pop open.

I put lithium grease on the cable from inside the cab, as well as the release latch and locks on each side. Still having issues.

Forums are no help. What could I replace to solve this issue?

it's the swan song of bmw

>what you want to do to it has dreams become real

>1991 e36 325i sedan
>e36 m3 coupe chairs, turbo

Anyone know the tuning capabilities of the green label 403 ECU? I'm running on obd1.

Am I SOL and going to have to switch to a 413 if I want to remap it?

m235i?

This.

I'm the guy who posted at the beginning of the thread
Black floor mats are in
Ordered my alcantara boots, the shifter is tan with black stitch and the handbrake is black on black
Ordered one of these leather shift knobs, looks pretty comfy
Trim should be in tomorrow
Still waiting on chromeline speaker covers

What should I expect to pay for yearly maintenance on an E9x 335i BMW?

depending on how well it was taken care of before you got it, should be around 1k

>not having an oem blue interior

pleb

does this mean new z4m?

>sexy asf '85 325 being sold at my local car place

I
need
it

i or e?

i, I forgot to ask in my post if these cars are good

>early model bumpers
>sunroof
pass.

Of course they're good, E30s are probably the most popular BMW of all time.

Am I weird for preferring the M50 over the M30? The latter gets its dick sucked by all of the sharknose fans, and it is a very good engine, but I like my E34's M50 a hell of a lot more than my E23's M30. Better on gas, more reliable (in my experience), much bigger aftermarket for parts, more DIY write ups available thanks to being shared with the 3 series, and this one is silly but I think it looks a lot better.

Also, who else E34 here? I fucking love mine.

I've never driven something with an M30, but I do like my M50.

Honestly, I think the only engine I would rather have would be the M60B40 (ie E34 540i/6), and even then I'm not 100% sure I would prefer it. I know a lot of people in the E34 crowd that swear by the M60, but it's definitely a higher maintenance engine than the M50.

There's actually an E39 for sale near me with an M52 and 5-speed for $450, I'm seriously tempted to buy it as a swap donor. I've never done an engine or transmission swap before, though, and it would be pretty impractical to learn how on my daily.

The only BMW comparison I have is the S62...which isn't really fair.

New Z4 will probably be like the 86 twins and be a rebadge of the new Supra.
if you haven't heard, Toyota and BMW are doing a collab

Temporary fix as I wait for the new part to come in the mail via shipping.

god i hope so, i just cant bring myself to get an e89
nah, supra wheelbase is longer

You know how rare slicktops are? Good luck finding one let alone it be in good condition.

gee, i wonder what the "S" implies

theyre slow as fuck dont lie

getting somewhere
It'll probably look less out of place once I have the trim in to balance it out.

sometimes it's best just to leave things alone user

is this good for a first car bros? 190k miles btw

>automatic

eeeeeeeeeeh

if you an do the swap yourself, sure!

Toyota Corolla

3500 what? yen?

>automatic
>owned by someone who thought a touch screen head unit would add value to a car from 1987
>"""""enkie""""" rims
>lug nuts are having conversations with each other

I guarantee right now even after you exorcise the lug nuts you will have to overhaul the suspension, replace every gasket on the thing, do a complete fluid flush turnaround, get new brakes, etc. at half the asking price, that car could be a good project. but it would still cost its weight or more in dollars to get it back to baseline. the money he spent on enkie rims and touch screens should have gone into maintenance

if $3500 is within your budget just hold tight and keep looking, you'll find a good E46 within a week or two