/ccg/ Classic Car General

/ccg/
>Post classic cars
>Blogpost about your vehicle
>Post classic feels

25 years and older is a "Classic" but it needs more than age, it needs a certain something to make it a classic. (Older than 1980 is definitely classic?)

Excellent Color Combo Edition

Other urls found in this thread:

reno.craigslist.org/cto/5567964807.html
reno.craigslist.org/cto/5541539250.html
losangeles.craigslist.org/lgb/cto/5573550950.html
houston.craigslist.org/clt/5517717825.html
houston.craigslist.org/cto/5564497760.html
dallas.craigslist.org/mdf/cto/5588874705.html
sacramento.craigslist.org/cto/5587931168.html
losangeles.craigslist.org/lac/cto/5578238880.html
losangeles.craigslist.org/sfv/cto/5536706456.html
lancaster.craigslist.org/ctd/5571133736.html
upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/7/73/89-91_Pontiac_Grand_Am_LE_coupe.jpg
zombdrive.com/images/1991-chevrolet-cavalier-2.jpg
upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/3/38/89-91_Ford_Taurus.jpg
vimeo.com/164865470
thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/cat.php?id=9
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

How well do these hold up? Debating on getting either a golf or one of these, but are they still any good for a daily driver? Or should I get something more modern like a twingo?

From what I know I hear they are great when it comes to how easy they are to work on and the availability of parts. The biggest downside is that they are pretty slow, but can be built to go somewhat quick. I would get one over a Twingo.

speed isn't a huge factor for me since I live in the city anyhow, but I'm glad to hear it has available parts. Do you know how the gas milage is? Cause I'm a poorfag uni cuck

Thoughts on the KE20 4 door?
How comfy is it, and what's handling like? I already know it's slow but I'm willing to bet it's fun as fuck to drive.

It all depends on the year. From what I remember all pre smog ones get at least 20 average mpg, and the older you go the better the mileage.

Don't know shit about them but they look cool.

First for disappointed father face.

Are there any br/o/s in Reno?

No, but I wish I was if that makes a difference.

reno.craigslist.org/cto/5567964807.html

Took Ol' Brown for a rip up to the old abandoned mine for the first time since last year Sunday morning. A lot has changed up there in a year, the entire lower 2 levels have since flooded, eliminating access to some really cool shit.

Thanks for the new desktop wallpaper, you always seem to get really cool shots.

I want to get this:
reno.craigslist.org/cto/5541539250.html

While it's a 2-door, the price is a lot more reasonable.

Thanks man, one of the perks of living in the middle of one of the most picturesque corners of the world. Tis a shame I've only got my cellphone for taking the shots, I'd invest in a good camera but I've been allocating every shred of my savings to the '58 Apache fund.

Well shit that's nice. Would you say this one is appropriately priced? losangeles.craigslist.org/lgb/cto/5573550950.html

I hear ya man, once I got a camera all my shots were just 10 times better.

There are plenty of '59s around here:
houston.craigslist.org/clt/5517717825.html
houston.craigslist.org/cto/5564497760.html

There's also this incredible '55 panel truck:
dallas.craigslist.org/mdf/cto/5588874705.html

>Chevy brown and tan
My nigga

That's a pretty good price; it's going to need some engine work soon, and the wheels have to go, but it's a very realistic asking price; compare that to this one:

sacramento.craigslist.org/cto/5587931168.html

This one is also reasonable:
losangeles.craigslist.org/lac/cto/5578238880.html

However, i'd be interested in this mislabeled '65 if I were in the area:
losangeles.craigslist.org/sfv/cto/5536706456.html

Why do all the Imperials have to be so far from Houston?

That black 4 door is definitely a wee bit too much. At least Houston has a better selection than fucking Long Island. Literally my craigslist has the worst selection I have ever seen.

My condolences; I got a car from Long Island once; this was the frame:

Black is literally the only color needed on a car

Why do I want one so bad

Jeepers fucking creepers. That's bad, but that is very common out here. It's a struggle keeping my car as rust free as possible, especially when I can only park it in the street.

I disagree; there are cars that look better in two-tone, but one of those colors HAS to be black.

It gets worse. The frame literally collapsed before I got the car home.

Wow. What kind of car was it, and did you know of the frame damage before you bought it?

Another two-tone black car:

>buying a pile of rusty parts

shiggy

I knew full well; I had lined up a spare frame BEFORE buying the car; it was an '81 DeLorean; of which about 25% now makes up my current car.

That pile of parts got me a free replacement car that I'm in the process of swapping out the autotragic.

How much did it cost you? I know every DeLorean I have seen out here has gone for at least 10k, rusted or not.

$3,000.00

Wow, that's not bad for what you got out of it.

I sold what was left for $2,500.00; sold a few parts for a couple hundred, sold off the spare frame, and got a TV show to give me a partially-restored automatic one; I made out like a bandit.

>got a TV show to give me a partially-restored automatic one

story behind this?

>No Rust

I believe you

lancaster.craigslist.org/ctd/5571133736.html

They wanted a DeLorean to restore for the stupid BTTF date tie-in; two people applied for the show. One was a guy in CA building another fucking time machine and Universal wanted $25k in royalties because his car looked like the movie car, so that left only my crappy car. It was so bad that they tried to seek out another guy, but he was too stuck up his own ass with the self-perceived importance of his job as an announcer at a classic radio station, that he wouldn't take the TWO DAYS off of work to accommodate the filming schedule.

I was the only option left and, after quickly deciding that there was no time to fix my car, they bought another one; debated trying to pass it off as mine, but it was obvious that it was a different car.

In the end, I got a hastily-cobbled, barely drivable DeLorean back and was left to do whatever with the parts that I provided for the restoration that they barely attempted.

>but it needs more than age,
so what 25+ car is not a classic?

Here are three great examples:
upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/7/73/89-91_Pontiac_Grand_Am_LE_coupe.jpg
zombdrive.com/images/1991-chevrolet-cavalier-2.jpg
upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/3/38/89-91_Ford_Taurus.jpg

That sure is a neat fuckin story.

It can be registered as a "classic" at the DMV, but that doesn't really make it a "classic" in our eyes. For example, if you see this coming down the road, is your first thought "that's a classic right there"?

>elitist tripfags

can you circlejerk any harder?

Good lord have mercy on muh dick. That first '59 for $3400 is very close to what I'm waiting for to show up here in BC. Reasonable running condition, original paint or at least old enough for some patina, and original engine, a great start. As far as I know '58 and '59 are identical beyond some very minor trim differences, so I'm keeping an eye out for both.

There was a beautiful example just barely over the border last year in great running condition on the original V8 but I didn't have enough saved up at the time. Every one that has shown in BC in the last 2 years was either too restored for my budget or too rotted for me to take on the burden.

But I'm ready now, I'm sitting on $5000 CAD just waiting for one to show up. I just really don't want to deal with the importing/inspection bullshit that comes along with buying one from Washington.

I hear ya; my Imperial budget is $8k and, while I've found a lot that fit within it, they're all around 1,000 miles away.

I can't commit to flying out to see one; as it's over $500.00 for a round-trip ticket that I'd be wasting if I didn't like it; rapidly depleting my budget.

While I'd have no qualms about driving it home, I can't bring tools through the airport unless I want to pay extra for a checked bag; at which point, I'd be better off buying a set out there.

That's not a big deal, but if something goes wrong and I can't fix it on the side of the road; a very realistic possibility for a 51-year-old car, I'd be stuck having to have it towed to a shop or a storage facility and having to buy a last-minute flight home to get back in time for work, then returning when I'm able; once again, at great expense.

No, they've got a point. "Old" doesn't necessarily mean "classic". At least not yet. 10-15 years ago the base 4-door sedan models from the 50s-60s weren't considered "classics", but they are now.

It takes longer for the family and economy cars to become classics than it does the performance cars and the trucks. Blame the market.

vimeo.com/164865470

>tfw no crazy truck

>goes to a specific general thread
>surprised there is circlejerking (whether it be good or bad)

How retarded can you be?

God. I can so dream of driving that one warm summer evening.

did a carb tune up on mom's 72 econoline today, was absolute cancer because was gonna change the alternator but gave the hell up because of a fucking bolt that was a bitch to get to

pic related, the dirty lil bastard of a bolt

also took some photos today of my van

shit, wrong photo, this is actually my van after i cleaned out the carburetor that had ages of shit all over it

spray that shit with pb blaster, hit the area around it with a large hammer a few times. You might get that bastard off.

Im sure this gets asked a lot, for those of you who daily a classic car, what is it like? Does it give you plenty of problems? I feel like a well maintained machine would be just fine

It depends on the car. Typically, the newer the classic, the easier it is to DD.

For me, I wonder between 60s, 70s, american, and japanese?

>what is it like?

It's a blast. Nothing handles like a classic. You get a completely different vibe when driving a classic compared to a modern car. People usually give you a nod/wave/thumbs up if they are driving one as well. Also, people will come up to you and talk to you about it fairly frequently.

>Does it give you plenty of problems?

Not really. As long as you maintain it will be alright. They are all gonna have their own issues over time but that's to be expected with any car. In my opinion the best way to daily a classic is to throw in at least a somewhat modern engine and tranny.

Definitely Japanese, by a country mile. During the 60s and 70s they were making their mark by producing simple reliable transportation. A small-displacement I4 with a 2-bbl carb is going to run smoother with less problems than a big V8 with a 4-bbl or two 2-bbls.

Now, that's not to say that you can't DD an American V8, just that the Japanese econobox is going to be much easier by its very nature.

will see what happens, it apparently stopped the squealing that was going on when i just whacked the alternator a bunch so i guess i'll be a nigger and just see if that fixes it

Yeah it's a tricky game. Fortunately my father is thrilled at the idea of tracking an Apache down as well so he has offered to drive me ~5 hours in any direction to check the right one out and follow me all of the way back with our tools if I were to buy it. I love the idea of a risky road trip in an unfamiliar 58 year old truck, as dangerous or financially crippling as it could be that risk is a big part of the thrill, and the satisfaction when (and if) it works out is just fucking bliss.

To be honest I'm really enjoying the chase, over a year in now and my persistence hasn't waned even a little, the longer it takes the more I'll know about the truck when I find it and the more money I'll have to whip it into shape.

I never ever bothered to look at the LI part of Craigslist

It was just >NJ >York/Allentown PA > Hartford CT

Finding something on Long Island was either going to be an absolute pile for 8 grand or a boomer car show machine that costs 30.

FUCK YEAH, BEETLE TIME
I use mine as my daily. It's slow in the highway, but gets you anywhere on the city, keeping up with other cars without much hassle. 4th is almost an overdrive gear, but the feeling from driving it is pretty gud.
Bought auxiliary headlights, 2 of them, rally style, have yet to install them.

Beetle bro

Hey, that's a really nice front end, what's it called? I plan to "porschefy" mine too.
And what about that ducktail? Man, you're pretty close to what I wanna do with mine, even those straps to close the hood, nice build.

You're in Houston, Drac?

Yep. If we get any more rain, I'm seriously going to buy an Amphicar.

Looking good, this thing on the road now? I just got all stainless lines to go along with my Kelsey Hayes 4 pot discs and manual dual bowl master

My neighbor when I was young had one, red and white, and actually drove it in the water, he also had a bunch of ~1920 to ~1950 hearses, you guys could have been best buds.

Ahh very nice, it's coming along well

>tfw you will never own a qt type 3

This one lives a few blocks down from me. I love the patina.

there were two of these in coupse for sale near me

My aspiration in life is to be similar to the uncle in the Rush song

Get better dreams. They're sub-$10k cars.

There are literally over a half a dozen for sale here:
thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/cat.php?id=9

>tfw you will never own a Mercedes SSK

That's what a series I Excalibur is for

>Dat ass
Hnnnnnggg.

That's why I bought a Series III

I know. But the series I cars are more ssk like. Simpler, cleaner lines, not as much clutter going on in the styling.

I know. I would give up anything that doesn't affect my ability to actually drive that car.

If I ever win the lottery, I'm having a custom car made in similar style with a pair of Cadillac 500 Cubic Inch engines combined into one massive V16 that would be called the 16.4L due to both the cylinder displacement and the number of cylinders.

The only real problem with them is the underpinning is all Studebaker components; they were fairly dated in 1966; being relatively unchanged since 1951, so handling and suspension mods are virtually nonexistent. By Series II and Series III, they were using Corvette components and have a lot more of a polished feel to them

Mines just a super beetle that's debumpered super beetles actually look decent lol. The wing is from mkV fiberglass and was frankly shit, but after a ton of work I've gotten it to work decently.

Was this "lost in transmission"?
Were you the weird guy with the purple DeLorean?

At least the engines in the series I cars were still GM V8s. Optional was a Paxton supercharger to make over 400hp.

I just like the styling of those early Excaliburs over the others. Nice and clean.

Yeah; that was me. They really made me look like a hapless idiot because they cut out everything that they recorded in which I actually demonstrated any knowledge about my car.

Fun facts: you can see the spare frame that I provided them on the side of the shop when he makes his phone call. The scene where I'm shouting in triumph is where I get the car to start after they couldn't figure out how to keep it running.

I look like an absolute tool because they kept telling me to be more emotional and, after doing a bunch of re-shooting and changes, I was willing to say whatever they wanted to hear to be allowed to have the car.

That looks like heaps of fun desu

Id love this one, too bad they are so rare and expensive :(

>4x4
>with two separate engines and drivetrains

I want one for the weird factor alone.