Catch Cans

Is there any benefits of putting a catch can on a n/a engine?

I guess if you want to do a flame trap/PCV delete but it seems a little counter productive

Not that I can think of really, only oil related things I can think of are a cooler and pan with traps to stop starvation

I just notice a lot of oil gunk in my intake. I'm thinking it must hinder power/ fuel economy

just clean it lol

Seems like a lot of effort to clean my intake manifold that much if a catch can will prevent it. Is there any cons to a catch can?

I had my top end essentially rebuilt not too long ago, the intake manifold ports were covered in thick grime. An oil catch can might be useful in my case.

This. My engine is

why?

Wouldn't it choke off air and fuel.

what about swirl pots ?
I've seen them for oil and radiator fluid and even fuel filters but only on super old cars

>benefits
oil has very low octane, a catch can helps solve pinging

As long as it isn't a $7 eBay shitcan with leaks out the ass and you install it correctly there are no downsides and only the upside of trapping oil that would otherwise go to your intake and burn causing crud and carbon deposits.

If its a DI engine its goddamn near required.

Elaborate please. I'm not much of a mechanic

How would you install one incorrectly?

I just bought a di engine with 100k miles, no catch can installed. I'm cleaning the intake valves this weekend and am terrified of what I'm going to find once I take off the intake mani

this

generally new cars have better designed cooling systems so don't need them

no fuel being sprayed down the ports to wash oil off the valves so they eventually turn into really thick carbon deposits.

Is it OK to dump the caught oil back into the engine?

and I think baffled sumps might have done away with them as well

wat?

if it looks okay i can't see why not

Would a 3.8 Chrysler be di?

You avoid getting pic related into your intake/cylinders.

Pic related is from my s54 after one 300km trip. Oil temps ranging from 90 to 110c.

How would I install a custom catch can. One side of the valve covers sucks from the intake the other blows into the manifold where do I put it?

in the butt

Probably more likely EGR recirculation.

Block it off if it bothers you.

I've tried that. My engine starts and runs but it only tickles

No. There's no cons.

Ideally you would run it to atmosphere. But, muh emissions.

>Chrysler
hahahaha

Well it helped prevent oil from getting into the intake thus preventing the oil from getting into your combustion chamber and potentialing lowering the octane rating of the fuel causing detonation

> subaru EJ257 problems

Its a requirement on an STi.

>s54
Primative oiling system is atomizing oil.

Yes.
Over time blowby from the PCV system will gunk up sensors and units like the IAC. It's a pain in the ass to diagnose and clean, and a catch can would avoid that issue entirely. I've been through that song and dance before and prefer to have a cheap DIY can on to avoid it.

Sometimes cleaning it sucks, or the stuff is baked on.