My head gaskets on my 07 Impreza are fucked. They need to be replaced...

My head gaskets on my 07 Impreza are fucked. They need to be replaced. Not looking to pay out the ass for someone else to do it, especially not the dealer. So I plan on doing it myself. I need to know what everything I will need, and everything I should do while I am doing such a job. All I know is I need the gaskets and bolts? But what else should I replace while I'm at it? I know to replace things like the spark plugs, and probably timing belt.

I would also like to know if anyone can tell me if it will be better if I just take the whole engine out, or if I should just try to work around it with everything taken out. I've seen a video on some guy doing it. Not sure if it is better that way or not. I'm sure taking out the engine is the best way, but maybe it's more work than just keeping it in for some odd reason. Not to mention I would have to go buy an engine hoist and something to set the engine on.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=yakX-GAV9uE
mediafire.com/download/kak17yh1vxxycti/USDM Impreza FSM 2007 (Includes WRX and STI).zip
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

>All I know is I need the gaskets and bolts?

And a torque wrench, noob.

expect to be dropping/pulling the engine. it's an impreza, you have to.

you can do timing chain/belt idlers/guides if you want.. if they are near service limit. I mean you don't really need to do anything.

but yeah, head bolts and gasket is all you need. intake and exhaust gaskets if you'll be removing them.

feeler gauge and straight edge to check if the warp is still within subies specs.

>I would also like to know if anyone can tell me if it will be better if I just take the whole engine out, or if I should just try to work around it with everything taken out.

It's a horizontally opposed engine, so I think pulling it may be your only choice.

You mean how its going to take a complete removal and resurfacing?

You've seen this video before, right op?

youtube.com/watch?v=yakX-GAV9uE

You can work without pulling it out. Looks like more work however.

Do you really not have a fucking shop manual for your car? I have 2 for mine and always cross check. At least pirate it on a tablet or something.

Also, have some sage advice I learned while learning computer programming some 15 years ago:
>No large task will ever go as you expect it to. Always spend 15 to 180 minutes planning with just a pen and paper. Keep a working list of all tools you will or may need and verify that you have them and they work before starting. Divide your task into smaller sections and your mind will be more comfortable with whatever you're doing.

Also, as you remove parts, organize them from left to right in order you took them off and put the nuts, bolts, and small shit in plastic baggies labeled with sharpie. Always have extra fluids on hand and properly dispose of used oil / fluid.

Good luck.

can't you just seafoam this bitch?

or just tear into it because doing a head gasket is literally babies first mildly complex task

Did you get the Haynes Manual as a reference? It will do some help.

Man one time I got a Haynes Manual for the vehicle I had at the time, and I felt it only helped about half as much. Don't blame anyone wanting cross references. You said you got two though. What else is there?

>headgaskets
>seafoam fixing that
Would be wonderful if seafoam could do that.

Findshop instructions somewhere on the internet. That should tell you what to exoect

I just did the gaskets on my 98 Legacy GT.

Expect to replace, besides the headgaskets themselves of course:
>radiator hoses
>cam seals
>front main seal, maybe rear main seal too if you feel like pulling off the clutch/flex plate/etc.
>timing belt
>timing belt pulleys and bearings
>intake and exhaust manifold gaskets
>valve cover gaskets and spark plug tube seals
>heater hose (should be a short one at the bottom near the water pump)
>oil and filter
>coolant
>possibly the thermostat and water pump
Basically everything rubber. Get the heads surfaced at a reputable machine shop. They may be warped and your new headgaskets may not seal properly, causing you to have to pull it apart again.

No. The magic headgasket sealer you find at wally world doesn't work either, it just clogs your radiator.
Maybe on an inline 4, but a boxer is a pain in the ass.

mediafire.com/download/kak17yh1vxxycti/USDM Impreza FSM 2007 (Includes WRX and STI).zip

Also, spark plugs and wires. Get NGK or OEM.

Guess it's better to pull it all out, huh?

Do they absolutely need to be resurfaced? How much is that to get done normally?

Thanks mang.

Yep, massive pain in the ass to do it in the car. I suppose you could probably get away with not surfacing it if it didn't overheat very often, but I would do it anyway. It was $120 from a well known shop in my area. It very marginally raises the compression ratio too, so you'll get a couple HP out of it too.

Just pay someone. I srsly doubt you have the expertise to do it.

$120 all together? Doesn't sound too bad if so.

Where is the thermostat located?

Sure is a lot of things to replace, but might as well while doing the job. Especially if I'm pulling out the engine.

You give me $3000 to get this done on an engine with 129k miles on it, and I'll pay someone no problem.

They do not absolutely need to be resurfaced
If its warped sure but if its still in good condition, resurfacing is just throwing money away.
Make sure you get all the old gasket material off it though

Should I use any kind of cleaners or chemicals to try it all off?

Wire brush is all you need.

You know the lower radiator hose? The plastic thing it fits over has two bolts. Take it off, and there's your thermostat.

Pretty much everything I listed you have to take off anyway to do the job, so you might as well have new ones now so you don't have to take any of it back off to do it later. Stuff like the valve cover gaskets and intake+exhaust manifold gaskets are one time use as well, so you really need those.

You're also going to need a shit ton of brake cleaner, like 5 or 6 cans of it. You'll want a roll of the blue shop towels too.

RIP alloy heads

At this point I would rather try to get rid of it, but I would feel bad selling it someone else as it is and would probably just get a car with something just as bad. Or top it off with oil and hope nothing ever goes wrong.

But doing this all by myself seems like my best option.

I guess I'll need the brake cleaner to clean shit up?

Just wondering do you ever need to have the block to be resurfaced or does only the head ever get warped?

Yep. This is far from being a sterile process. Shit will be filthy.

Also, there should be a "kit" from the dealer that includes most of what I listed. At least, there was one for my 98 LGT.
Nah, sanding down the mating surface with some fine sandpaper (3000-ish) will be fine. Blocks don't warp as easily.

By the time you're done it'll be cheaper and faster just to buy a new engine

I () only spent about $500-600 on the job. If I got a junkyard engine it would need a bunch of work too (and possibly headgaskets as well) or a reman which would be easily $1000+. Moreso for OP since his car is newer.

Yeah, but they want like $1200 for all of it. I think so. Kind of hard to say because they included the timing belts, spark plugs, and spark plug wires too.

It's cheaper if I do it myself than buying a new engine and replacing it myself. I've already thought about it.

Oh, you only spent that much? Maybe it's because the car is older?

if these are questions you have to ask, you are not ready to tackle this job.

Possibly, yeah. I spent about $300-350 in parts (mostly OEM, some from worldpac), the $120 from the machine shop, and about $250 that I paid my uncle for helping me with it since I didn't have an engine hoist. I also bought him lunch and filled up his tank but those probably aren't expenses you're going to encounter.

Obviously you will need a torque wrench, but have you checked to see if some of the bolts need an additional 90° (or whatever) turn? Cause you need some whackey ass add-on to your wrench to do that.

Just remember you'll need a torque wrench. And no, it's not the same as a regular ratchet wrench.

Might not be cheaper, but could be the most efficient.

>trying to ask questions to do a job right
>if you have to ask you must be some fucking idiot or something :^)
>one of those people
Get the fuck out of here faggot.

he'll remember my post when hes balls deep in this job and gives up because he barely knows how to wrench. also kill yourself

Even buying third party parts was costing me up to $400 I believe. When looking it up anyways. I'm sure I will spend more one way or another.

so glad I have an EJ255 with no headgasket issues

You know this kind of work isn't all that hard, people just get scared because they think it's hard and don't want to understand. If he's asking questions then he's not going to go in without knowing of nothing what he needs.
I would rather kill myself then talk to your dumbass, yet here I am.

same to be honest family.
>conveniently forgets our glass ringlands

the point is this guy is asking questions that some shadetree mechanic who only changes oil and does brakes asks.
yet hes diving in to headgaskets on a flat 4. more power to him if he can do it but i rarely see this end well.

All he's got to do is take it slow, and be meticulous. He's not getting paid for it.

OP take lots of breaks if you get frustrated. you'll be amazed how clearheaded you will be if you just walk away for 15 minutes and have a snack.

This, don't do it so you have to finish it in a weekend, have a week or two free so you never have to rush the job.

water pump water pump water pump

there's a reason your head warped.

a standard head gasket kit includes cam, crank seals, head gasket, valve stem seals.

have the heads serviced at an engine shop. check the block with a straight edge for warp. this involves a scrape, porosity check and valve job because its getting dropped in a cleaning tank which requires replacement of the valve stem seals anyway.

methyl ethyl ketone
also spray the block and pistons with kerosene for rust protection while its taken apart.

you're still going to be out a grand for all the parts and machining. but its going to be cheaper than getting someone else to do it all.

This is also what I'm trying to figure out. Whether or not I can get it done over the weekend in 2-3 days, or if I should do it throughout the week. Depends on if I want to buy or rent an engine hoist.

Only other problem is garage space.

Thanks user. Yeah, looks like I would probably save around $2000 doing it myself.

expect it to take more than a week. this is your first try. hoses will split. old fragile electrical connectors will break. electrical faults will magically appear. it's an old car. and old cars have brittle plastic shit all over.

dont get degreaser on your alternator.

Less than 10 years is old now?

This is literally why I don't own a subaru.

This is very good advice. Every job takes longer than you think it will.