"it's an automatic"

>"it's an automatic"

Other urls found in this thread:

nydailynews.com/autos/manual-shifts-increasingly-stop-car-thefts-article-1.1153530
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

I think automatic cars should be banned for anyone but females and the disabled.

Since... oh... the mid 2000's or earlier, automatics have been superior.

>It's more efficient
>It's faster off the line
>It's better on gas

Hurr durr keep talking about your driving feels

However for small cars and mid size trucks, Manual is the way to go In My Opinion

This senpaitachi desu. Automatic transmissions are god-tier.

Yeah that way I can finger bang your cunt whore

You're all worse than OP for replying to such a blatant shitpost.

Autos are the best commuter vehicles and manuals are the best hobbyist vehicles.

Here, have a fat kid.

Pretty much this. Not everyone is an auto enthusiast, some people just need a way to get to work, and just want it to be comfy, quiet, and easy. I prefer a manual cause it makes me feel more involved with the car and makes me enjoy driving it more. But an auto would serve as transportation just as well.

>it doesn't have a second shifter for 2wd/4wd

I drive a shitty fiat doblo for work so day and I will contend that manual still beats auto.

What is it?

> have manual
> seem like a goof
> seem irresponsible
> she can't enjoy the ride without noticing your shitty shifts
> can't drive smoothly without being a granny

Manual only beats auto in the shitty (non german or nordic) parts of Europe and the third world

>want to learn manual just to say i know it
>dont know anyone with manual car
>dont want to buy new car and find out it's just a meme

it's not my fault.

If you like to drive as fast as you can around twisty roads or if you are just pretentious you will like the manual.

Otherwise the automatic is superior

i like driving fast on the highway at night but that's pretty much it lol, fast corners scare me. drifting looks cool but i'll probably never really try it.

guess i'll stick with auto. still would be nice to learn someday though

Honestly, no matter what, manual is way more engaging and fun to drive. You're literally doing the work. Paddle shifters and DCTs let you change the gears but there's no skill involved, there's no possible variation. I personally like getting a bad shift sometimes, it keeps me on my toes.And getting it perfect feels amazing. Fuck automatics.

>implying there is skill involved in shifting a manual

Driving a manual is more engaging but so is walking bro. It's interesting to drive a manual, but once it's just a habit it's not engaging, it's a chore.

I disagree. It became habit for me very quickly, and I don't think I can go back to automatics. I drove my friend's Acura and while it was pretty quick, I was bored as fuck and my feet/hand were twitching from not moving. More fun to drive my brother's shitty Jetta.
There is, though. Much more than holding your foot on the gas in the exact same spot, or tapping a paddle with your fingers.

There' more body movement, not skill. If you have to concentrate you might be catching some brain or nerve disorder.

I really didn't want to get an automatic either, but it wasn't enough to dissuade me from getting the car I wanted even though it didn't come manual. I want to manual swap it too since it's basically the wildest thing I could modify on it in Commiefornia. Driving it has given me a respect for autos though. I upped the line pressure and it shifts much firmer and it's also electronically controlled with a sport mode that holds gears longer and redlines

I can tell when someone sucks at driving standard when I'm riding with them. That means there is skill. Just because you shift the same way every time doesn't mean it's purely 'body movement'. Someone who's good at driving standard can make the shifts literally undetectable, smoother than a ZF. Maybe you suck at it and find it a chore, but that just says more about your character than it does about driving stick.

Just doesn't do it for me anymore, user. Even shift kits are lame. It's so disengaging to drive an automatic. I'm scared that i'll hate my Jag when I start driving it again. I may have to swap the Getrag into it that came as an option in Yurop.

>Maybe you suck at it and find it a chore
It's like you haven't even read any of my posts about how fucking easy it is and requires no skill.
Literal monkeys, MONKEYS, can drive a manual transmission.

If you shift without the shift being noticeable you are driving like an absolute granny and easing off the pedals and back on them. There is absolutely no way to shift undetectably without completely backing off the throttle, and getting back on it quickly is certainly detectable.

Anyone can rev match and slip the clutch enough to make shifts unnoticeable. I can, but I just jump right off it because I don't want to kill the clutch.

I'd like to see a monkey do it. Sure, anyone could dump the clutch and manage to sloppily shift a standard. I've driven with plenty of women before, user, you don't have to tell me it's -POSSIBLE-. Doing it effectively is satisfying, not necessarily impressive; but then again, that wasn't my argument in the first place.
I can shift undetectably at close to redline in a turbo fucking diesel, and so can my brothers. See? You just suck at it. I was right.

I'm in the Netherlands :(

>anyone can
Almost no one does. And you don't really have to slip the clutch, either. See? You only know one way to shift smoothly. That already proves there's -some- amount of skill and fun involved. No wonder everyone ITT hates manuals, you haven't even tried to do anything with them.

Good god if you think that's skill you must have went through hell learning to write the alphabet.

You can always just not use the clutch, but again, I don't want to ruin shit with one or two mistakes.

I need this as a copy paste, I've said it twice.

Automatic (Torque converter)
>Better economy in new cars
>Easy for a normie driver, ("Its safe and good on gas!!!!" type)
>Comfortable
>Cheaper if in used sports cars
>Uses 85% of power from engine
>Costs more to repair, more complicated to repair

Manual
>Uses 98% of available power
>Cheaper to fix, do it yourself if you want
>Missing a gear? Skip to the next one
>Muh Feelz, Control every aspect of the vehicle
>Thief deterrent (US, Canada)
>More reliable
>Better resale value (US, Canada)
>Don't have to wait for throttle input to downshift
>Engine braking

Another way to do it. There's still at least two other ways to shift smoothly.

Good god, if that's seriously your argument, you should feel bad. What are you trying to say here? That just because you can drive standard half decently that it's not a skill? What about the 95% of North Americans who can't drive it and are afraid to? What about that week you spent getting comfortable with it? There are many things that people call skill that really don't take much time or patience for. I would say driving standard falls under that category, ESPECIALLY if you're actually doing it properly and effectively, or using techniques such as clutch kicking or heel-toe shifting when driving.
I mean, if your argument is that an automatic is a better choice for a daily driver if you drive standard with the least amount of variation you possible could, then I'd probably agree. But I wouldn't call it a complete non-skill by any stretch.

That's the dumbest thing evar! Congratulations spaz.

*when driving hard
Obviously

Correct me if I'm wrong then.

why do the children of Veeky Forums always cum all over manuals?

i own a few vehicles, most manual.. but the comfiest favorite and most requested is the auto

are you just spouting memes? because you can't drive?

I know this is bait and I've been replying to bait posts, but I don't care. Driving standard is more fun and engaging than driving automatic, and you cannot refute that.

not bait, just legitimate perplexity

>manual best for some times, auto best for others

>cheaper to fix
Very seldom
>control every aspect of the vehicle
Nope. You're neglecting about half a dozen vehicle functions that have no relationship to shifting
>theft deterrent
It's stopped no one from stealing a car
>more reliable
Nope
>better resale values
This is variable. It depends on the age and model of the car and whether people desire it
>don't have to wait for throttle input to downshift
You lost me there, because you have let of the throttle on a manual and I see no advantage pro or con.
>engine braking
That's not unique to manual transmissions

>cheaper to fix
You'll have to replace the clutch a few times and maybe the throwout bearing and synchros (and even then, you don't technically need to) after driving 200k miles. An automatic would need a rebuild and new torque converter.
>theft deterrent
Believe me, criminals are stupid and most have no idea how to drive standard.
>more reliable
Oh god yes. If you drive a manual properly and you're in touch with mechanics even slightly, you will KNOW when something needs to be replaced long before it actually craps out. Examples: clutch moving up on the pedal from wear, throwout bearing making noise before seizing, linkage feeling wrong, synchros not working. An automatic can just crap out on you and blow a clutch band or block the filter, leaving you with an overheated tranny or no reverse gear. A solenoid could go without warning and leave you revving high in 2nd gear forever. There are so many things in an automatic that could go wrong with no warning.
>better resale values
Across the board more value. From a sports car to an old Honda or Volkswagen econobox. I don't know where you got that idea.
>don't have to wait for throttle input to downshift
In an automatic, you have to hit a certain throttle position QUICKLY for the kickdown to happen. In a manual, you can do that whenever you like, from any throttle position TO any throttle position in the lower gear.
>engine braking
Automatics lose this due to the fluid coupling nature of a torque converter. Sure, it's there somewhat, but it's nowhere near the same degree. When they downshift, they downshift when you're braking and are already losing RPMs quickly. If you use the shifter to downshift, it's better, but is stressful to an auto if you do it regularly, and most automatics won't let you select every single gear anyway.

automatic cuck detected

Automatic is easier to drive and for someone who doesn't enjoy driving that much it's an awesome way to drive a car.
Manual is harder to drive and is for people who enjoy driving a car.
>inb4 muh manliness

>not a theft deterrent

nydailynews.com/autos/manual-shifts-increasingly-stop-car-thefts-article-1.1153530

Fuck yeah it is

We /comfyasfuck/ in JDM traffic nigga

>ITT cucks coddling their poor self esteems by reassuring each other that the inferior automatic is the way to go

There is a reason why the snek is faster than all of its rivals, and that's because a computer can never shift intelligently as a human.

Keep cuckolding yourself though, I bet you let Tyrone fuck your wife for you too

Luxury cars should all be either CVT or automatic, no manuals allowed because why the fuck do you want to fondle a gear shifter in a luxury land yacht when you could be fondling your balls or some breasts on the passenger seat.

DD's and shitboxes should be all manual though because MUH RELIABILITY MUH EM PEE GEES and generally manual transmissions can take more of a beating and still be functional to some extent

>driving a manual is so difficult that it separates the boys from the true dagumi
>whole rest of world handles manual just fine
Do you guys think it's the school system or just talkative Civic drivers?

And you fucking believed it. LOL
The media could fuck up a wet dream. They just make shit up as they go along.

Nice try Abernathy. I drive a 6 speed.

>Not knowing that some in some cases, that auto is the better choice.
>Not know some vehicles never had a manual option, and it wassup never considered in the design in the first place.
You got my wretched (you) now leave and never come back.

Women don't actually give a fuck if a guy drives manual, only Veeky Forumstists.

>Across the board more value
Nope. It will be cheaper in an econobox, just like it is when it's new. It will also be cheaper on a non-econobox unless it's a really old desirable sports/performance car.

Ducking auto correct.

have an old truck with 3 on the column.....do I win?

>(non german or nordic)

But these are exactly the shittiest parts of Europe.

i'm a fan of my auto that has paddle shifters, i rarely ever use the true auto mode. only time i do is when im tired af or in heavy traffic where it's just annoying to have to constantly change gears

do you manual drivers get to choose to shift or be lazy? nah.

well yea if you always drive an automatic of yourse you suck at manual

dont insert your incompetence into everyone else

I rarely use the clutch to shift up on my bike, can you do the same in a car?

why are amerimatics so touchy about people mocking their slushboxes?