/hou/ - The continuing saga

This is Houston's thread, and we're the N/o/bodies.* Come and take it.

Previous thread: Next meet is scheduled for Friday, June 17th. Time and location are open to suggestions.

Opinion form/survey regarding the crew/club/gang/whateverthefuck:
docs.google.com/forms/d/1ZFXupIXfcyB6ZLEoPtYm4uZuTeQeGWF656UihlX3yq4/viewform

Sign-up sheet in progress:
docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1g8SQlAr_V43jeOt92yPrh0GXDmMcI2SYGbm3xP-XJkM/edit?usp=sharing

*Name subject to change.

Other urls found in this thread:

chron.com/news/transportation/article/Now-that-Grand-Parkway-is-open-from-I-45-to-U-S-7213331.php#photo-9017195
youtube.com/watch?v=8Ge8XBxpG5k
docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1DNwDA9oeoqeSaqdnZcEsNpW9PBkhmKtTe8t9zjI8Btk/edit?usp=sharing
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

interested in what you're talking about if you're still around user.

Crosstour fag lurking as well.

You know, for stuff to do, how about a steeplechase?

Like, someone goes and scouts a long course that winds all over the place. Then for each major course change, they write a clue pointing in a cardinal direction (and distance) towards the next change. Have a set start point, a few checkpoints, a finish line with a prize worth trying to get, and then you race to see who gets there fastest. It's not about your speed, but how well you know your city and how well you can figure shit out on the fly to race against the clock.

Obviously it would take a lot of work to set up and run, but it might be a lot of fun.

Got an adrenaline rush just thinking about it.

We need to start recording fastest laps of 610

This!

Though how would we prevent time fraud?

Pick an empty parking lot for the timekeeper and take a witness. Same start and end point

That flag is still awful.

I'm sorry.

The flag is awesome and hilarious

Make it the beltway and use EzTag logs.

I'm not paying tolls.

610 would take long enough already, can't imagine the beltway

Just wait until they finish the Grand Parkway.

Eventually there's going to be a series of loops covering the entire continent, centered on Houston.

Good fucking God.

chron.com/news/transportation/article/Now-that-Grand-Parkway-is-open-from-I-45-to-U-S-7213331.php#photo-9017195

This may be the biggest loop in the world.

People forget that the incorporated Houston metro area is bigger than the island of Oahu. Houston is fucking HUGE.

it's pretty shit

Just the overall design or could it be improved?

As far as I'm concerned it stretches from Willis to Galveston.

That's 90 miles as the crow flies.

Not the same replier, but I think it could be improved by a lot. The lone star seems to be in a awkward position and i'm not sure what "come and take it" is supposed to mean.

do you guys wanna cruise to galveston for the next meet. there are some empty roads on the north/east part of the island where you could drag race and shit, just throwing it out there. or should we go 610 wangan style again

>i'm not sure what "come and take it" is supposed to mean.

I still don't understand : /

I will never be interested in anything drag-related, and can't imagine why anyone in this group would be considering none of are vehicles are even remotely equipped to do so in any fashion that would be remotely enjoyable.

If you don't understand the Gonzales flag, you're not a Texan.

In fact, if you didn't immediately recognize what it was based off of, your opinion is worthless.

Once upon a time, in 1836, there was a town called Gonzales settled by Texians in Mexican Texas. The town of Gonzales had a tiny cannon to help defend against bloodthirsty injuns.

Now, at the time, just as today, the Mexican government was filled with corruption. There was much resistance to the government of General Antonio Lopez de Santa Anna, and General Santa Anna used his armies to crush it.

One day, the Mexican Army came to Gonzales to demand the cannon back, fearing that it would be used against their rule. The people of Gonzales, however, defied the Mexican army and raised a white flag with a black cannon and star, and the words "COME AND TAKE IT" written on the bottom.

Then they shot the Mexicans with it. This was the first battle of the Texan Revolution.

Soon after, the Mexicans laid siege to the mission at San Antonio and slaughtered everyone inside. This place is known as the Alamo, and the cry of "Remember the Alamo!" caused the revolution to spread.

After the defeat at the Alamo, the Texian militias lead by General Sam Houston retreated across half the state before meeting the Mexican army on the shores of Buffalo Bayou in what is now Deer Park. They attacked at dawn while General Antonio Lopez de Santa Anna was busy going to town on a mixed slave girl now immortalized in the song "The Yellow Rose of Texas". After about ten minutes of battle, the 600 Texians defeated the Mexican army, killing 600 and capturing the remaining 700 and Santa Anna himself, while losing only a handful of men.

General Houston later had Santa Anna shipped to Washington DC to sign a formal treaty recognizing the independence of the Republic of Texas, overseen by President Andrew "try to assassinate me and I'll beat you half to death with my cane" Jackson.

The end.

If it means not being part of an arrogant person like you then I'm better off not being part of it.

Thanks.. didn't know that, I moved in from the North.

Googling "Come and take it" would have given you the answers you seek.

You have 24 hours to research Texas history and post a 2500 word report on the Texan Revolution in this thread or a subsequent thread if this one dies, or pack your shit and fuck off back to Yankeeland.

no

but going fast is always fun

Then fuck off. We're full.

stay mad cuck

>muh heritage

I agree, which is why I appreciate it in forms other than going in a straight line for 10 seconds that's almost entirely dependent upon mechanical advantage.

Not trying to bash anything, but I'll take almost anything other than drag.

Captcha: pickup trucks.

We all have decently fast vehicles, some are shitboxes but still go pretty quick. Obviously not the fastest vehicles around so that's why I'm thinking Twisty Roads is the best, only problem is.. we're living in Houston. I'm going to start looking up at Google Maps in full detail and see how things go.

Either way, doing it on Galveston is a fucking stupid place to do it. GPD do not fuck around. They are bored out of their ass 80% of the time, so if they get even one call about people hooning around they will call up every tow truck on the island to impound your ass.

That said Harborside and Old Port Industrial are comfy as *fuck* to cruise at night. I just wouldn't risk an organized race on them.

If we could get as many people as we could doing this, that would be great.

What about the steeplechase suggestion? Too much work?

I liked it, I don't know why I was the only one that replied, though.

I tried to do twisty roads around Lake Livingston.

One guy showed up and then didn't even want to go fast.

>considering none of are vehicles are even remotely equipped to do so in any fashion that would be remotely enjoyable.
I'm kinda equipped to drag race.

straight lines are all this thing does. Spoderstang would resent that remark too

Forgot pic

autocross is on june 12th btw if you guys don't know. it's at grand sport speedway so I dunno if everyone would want to go. where is the other s2k guy who has never shown up?

I'm going to try and make it if I get some new tires in time. If I can't make it to that one I'll be at the july one for sure. will be my first time

>autocross is on june 12th btw if you guys don't know. it's at grand sport speedway so I dunno if everyone would want to go. where is the other s2k guy who has never shown up?
>I'm going to try and make it if I get some new tires in time. If I can't make it to that one I'll be at the july one for sure. will be my first time

Do they have rules against convertibles? That sounds fun.

>Do they have rules against convertibles?
nope, but you do need a helmet.

this guy ran an e30 vert
youtube.com/watch?v=8Ge8XBxpG5k
pretty sure that's hpd academy autox

Indeed. Need to get me some slicks and skinnies one day. Also using a name to make it easier I guess.

God bless you and God bless Texas

Amen

But does he have a roll bar?

Alright here's the output from the form in a spreadsheet.
docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1DNwDA9oeoqeSaqdnZcEsNpW9PBkhmKtTe8t9zjI8Btk/edit?usp=sharing

Here it is typed up:
When: Friday 6/17 with 44.4% of the votes

Time: 8pm with 44.4% of the votes

Where: Happy Teahouse with 45.45% of the votes

What: Twisty Backroads run with 47.1%

After: Mixed bag. Winner was anywhere we can park and fuck around and Happy Tea House, so Happy Tea House

Song: Our official song is Forever Young with 37.5% of the votes

Name: we are officially hwat with 36.1% of the votes

I can live with that. Maybe not the song but it's not a deal breaker.

Not too bad, the community has made a good decision, proud of ya'll.

According to Miata forums a roll bar isn't necessary for auto cross. It would probably be good to have though

Oh thank God. I've wanted to take my MGB to an autocross since I bought it, but I thought that it wouldn't be allowed on the course.

how about point to point racing with a navigator, start and end are marked by a post on here and lowest elapsed time between posts is the winner.

I think that any actual race where we're all competing is just an accident waiting to happen

Can I participate with a mere 05 v6 accord coupe 6spd with no mods?

if we just go by elapsed time we can do it one at a time, and of course when traffic is minimal (1-2am)

Any one is welcome

Maybe then. I just don't want a scenario where two guys are headed 100mph toward each other.

This meet though is touge, it's been voted on.

Well that's gonna be fun for me lol

Okay, so slower cars, and people scared to go fast.

Houston doesn't have togay though.

Or people who want to keep their tires, transmissions, and clutches in tact for the drive home.

The circuit of the dagumis was pretty good. Mostly sweeping turns though. Some dude is looking for another location supposedly.

So who would suggest drag?

Not a clue. I'm glad it didn't win though

A guy with a Mustang.

So... an unwillingness to go fast.

I agree with pretty much everything except HWAT.

And perhaps Happy Tea House, because that parking lot was cramped, and there was barely enough seating for everyone the first time.

It's got some good feng shui, though, felt like we were a neo Mid Night Club. We need something with more space, though.

yeah i'm just thinking towards the future. even if somebody puts a scavenger hunt/road rally type thing together with different points around houston. start a stopwatch when each person leaves the parking lot, and take any route you want to hit all the points on the list. take a picture at each point for proof, and the lowest elapsed time with all the points is the winner

HWAT is what most people wanted. It's been voted on. The meetup and finish location will be voted on for each meet though.

There was a time where there wasn't an "other" option for the name, so we don't know how many were aware that they could edit their response.

Maybe we can be HWAT online, but have a different name for club stickers?

I added it a few days ago, posted about it, and let everyone know they could edit their answers by going back. Unless a bunch of people want it changed we're not voting on it again. Personally I don't care for HWAT either, but it's what most wanted.

let it evolve naturally. as we meet more, the group will get a better identity and we will probably get a name that everyone relates to. no need to force it or try or take it too seriously. we are on a taiwanese moving picture site.

Fair enough. It'll probably take a few more meets before we really get an idea of the direction we want to go.

That's what the steeplechase suggestion upthread was.

steeplechase was more like getting directions as you go vs getting it all at once and quickly planning a route. everybody just needs to buy their own stopwatch and have timekeepers at the start/end point with the watches.

desu that'd probably be safer to do even if it does take more effort to set up and run. If we're going to actually run a race, it needs to be safe and street legal.

>street legal

We're all NEETs, user. If we're going to do a "race" as a group, we shouldn't do something that invites police attention or breaks any laws they can hammer us with.

Wangan runs on 610 in the dead of night are one thing, a race on city streets is another.

Well, yeah it has to be "street legal". We would have to do it on the honor system that if you get stopped, you are disqualified, and your time does not count.
Timekeepers will chill at the tea house, and the race will begin when the driver starts his stop watch and runs to his car in a le mans style start. Starts will be staggered in 10 minute intervals, and the drivers will be given 10 minutes to plan their route before leaving, so when one driver leaves the next driver is given the points. then the timekeepers just wait for everybody to get back and hit their stopwatches again.

This isn't for the next meet, but for future ideas.

Does anyone know if there are any arcades left in a 100 mile radius? Maybe they've got some Wangan Midnight Maximum Tune, or Initial D cabinets? Or just anything racing related. They were fun as fuck when they were around, but I don't know if anyone in this whole municipality has arcades left. Just a suggestion.

There's always Dave and Busters, but I don't think they've got Initial D cabinets. Hell, I don't know if any have existed in Houston for years if they did at all.

I dunno. A straight timed race like that just devolves to speed fairly quickly, especially if you can lay your route out with GPS.

Okily dokily, guys. Well it seems in regards to terrain, we're highly limited on local options, though I'm sure you guys already knew that.

As far as touges are concerned, anything, south, central, or east is non-existent and barren.

Meaning our only options are to the west and/or to the north. Looking forward to any suggestions.

Forgot image, somehow.

Westward would probably be best. Worst case scenario we run the Daumi's Circut.

>I dunno. A straight timed race like that just devolves to speed fairly quickly
You're right. A guy breaking the speed limit in Houston would stick out like a sore thumb.

kek

They would on the city streets. Either way, I'm saying that's boring for a group race. We already go fast. If we're going to do a point-to-point, it should have more going for it than just "go WOT following your GPS".

it wouldn't be just on city streets, the points would be spread around Houston. If you want any kind of driving competition within the group, this is going to be the safest. If you don't want to do it, you can always be a timekeeper.
Also, yes, people will likely be speeding regardless of "breaking the rules", but there's a limit to how much somebody is going to speed in a certain area just based off of common sense. Nobody here is going to blast through a school zone at 70 mph just so they can beat a Camry and a Civic in the Inaugural Autist Road Rally

Why can't we just set up a street circuit somewhere?

No, you misunderstand. I'm arguing for the other kind of point-to-point race.

idk man, it seems pretty impossible to keep track of multiple cars in real time and giving them new points or directions to drive when they reach certain points. what do you suggest?

I like one at a time, but if we were to do multiple at once we could use phones recording video in each car and check over it at the end

Maybe one of these areas?

Ok, but even one at a time, how will they be given instructions and at what points? And once they have been given the instructions, won't they just "WOT and follow GPS" to their next point?
It just seems needlessly complicated to something that is basically achieving the same thing, but needing much more time to do so because it can only be done one at a time.