How much do good tyres improve?

So i have a RWD car and a few nights ago in the rain, i slammed from first to 2nd quickly and the shift actually made the back slide out.

I countersteered and regained control, but it was fucking annoying that it slid out like that. I was not even fully hooning, i was at about 4k rpm's in first before i switched to 2nd, the only hoon thing i did was dropping the clutch.

I'm running 235's at the moment, will getting a larger tyre stop this happening? Or will it still do this in the wet?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=X6I_P5a6RC8
youtube.com/watch?v=1L4EnFTN1lo
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

>but it was fucking annoying that it slid out like that

>literally being that out of touch with your car you can't predict the exact instance it breaks traction under power

wow give up cunt

Quit trolling the OP you seppo cunt. If a car is breaking traction under power, it's set up wrong.

>Hurr look at me i LIKE my car sliding around

You sound like a fucking commodore owner.

I just bought this car, sorry i'm still getting used to it.

Thing is, i've driven a lot of cars a LOT more powerful that have not done anything more than a tiny skid upon shifting. This fully slid out, meaning i'm more inclined to believe it's shitty tyres over the power (or lack thereof).

For performance cars never buy tyres under $150 each if you value grip, replace every 2-3 years regardless of tread depth, rotate every 6 months and get a proper alignment

These are the tyres it came with, by the way. I was already planning on replacing them but since they had a bit of tread i was going to wait and focus on a few other things, but now i'm reconsidering.

They're some shitty gook tyres, so the guy obviously cheaped out, but i had no idea they would be this shit.

Am i right to assume the shit tyres are what caused it to slide rather than doing a little skid inbetween shifts?

Are you fucking 12 years old cunt?

If your car can't break traction in the wet under power you must be driving a fucking razor scooter you sad cunt

Tires in a compound that has more grip will help. Bigger tires on a given car usually don't change the size of the contact patch, only its' shape, unless you run them at a lower inflation, so I'd try a grippier tire in the stock size first.

>Dropped my clutch
>Revving to 4K rpm

Found your problem.

First and foremost, what car? Shifting at what RPM?
All other posts are moot until you say what it is.

What brand are they?

Shitty fucking troll. Ignore him OP, you are right. It will skid a little, but regain traction instantly if you're running the correct tyres as the power pushes you forward. The tyres just hold you in sideways.

tl:dr shitty chink tyres fucked you over, not the power. These commodore owners who never buy good tyres and just keep upping the power on their engines can't understand. If the tyre is grippy enough to just stop the slide, the power works to your advantage.

If not...

>moot
Rip

Yep, I learnt this the hard way in my Integra Type R. It was raining and I felt like being speedy speed boy, took a hairpin corner at about 60 km/h and the car did a 360 spin and came close to hitting the concrete wall. I immediately went out and bought a good set of Bridgestone RE002's since the old tyres were a brand I've never heard of from Indonesia

/thread

Get grippier tyres OP, power is your friend as long as you don't neglect other things such as suspension, tyres, ect

Don't listen to bogans who think

>Muh v8 you don't need handling

>I have never driven a turbo car.

Seriously OP, tyres make a massive difference. I run Nitto Invos. They don't last long but they grip really well in the dry and wet. Most performance tyres are the same.

Adrenalines are such a boss all rounder for price. Im in a really dry area though so i just run medium semislick daily driving

>>I have never driven a turbo car.

Did you even read what I wrote? Your greentext implies that turbo cars will NOT break traction in the wet.

I like how you can't actually come up with anything that proves what I've said incorrect so you just scream troll like some tumblr retard.

Explain to me how you can STOP a car breaking traction in the wet provided it has more power than a fucking hamster wheel.

Jesus christ you're an ignorant fuck

I own a skyline GTR with absurd amounts of power (i'm the 33 user) and the only time my car ever breaks traction under power is if it's at too far an angle sideways and i boost.

Your statement is pure fucking bullshit if you are implying that a car running high end performance tyres will break traction in a straight line any more than a skid.

Good tyres really do matter, when i bought this car it had garbo tyres and even the AWD could not compensate for them.

When i changed over to P zeros, it was like a totally new car.

Well in my BRZ-
>provided it has more power than a fucking hamster wheel
Nevermind

Yes, replace your tires. But more so, learn to shift more smoothly. It sounds like your shifting will wear the clutch prematurely.

You're an idiot. Ferraris don't just "slide out" when people put the gas down. You know why? Good tyres (DCT's are just as brutal on quickshifts as manuals)

>alloy wheel nuts

In the fucking wet you deadshit.

I don't give a fuck about the dry. If your car doesn't break traction on a hard gear change in the wet you have zero power or you're changing gears slowly.

How fucking hard is this for you to get through your thick skull?

cool straw man you braindead knuckle-dragger

Sounds like he was just shifting quickly (semi-hoon) which is ok. It's worse to ride the clutch, you want to be dropping it fairly quickly in a racing situation.

This is pure bullshit. My statement WAS referring to the wet.

I only get a slight skid and then BAM, traction regained.

If you are doing a hard shift on shit tyres, it will slide out and it did it to me even with AWD. Stopped the moment i got P zeros.

lol if you can barely break traction with p-zeros in the wet on a hard gear change you have less than 180rwkw or you're just talking shit to win an internet argument

Strawman? You're literally here telling us that every single car with high power "breaks traction when the gas is put down".

A DCT shifts as hard as a manual, so why do they not shit themselves and slide out of control on a shift?

Oh right, you sound like a fucking MUSTANG driver trying to justify why his high hp stang crashes into crowds of people.

hahahahah

This is my low boost tune. At the wheels.

IN. THE. FUCKING. WET. ON. A. GEAR. CHANGE.

Do you want me to write this shit in crayon for you? Holy fuck you're clueless

HAHAHAHAHAHAHA

MUSTANG OWNER REKT

Go fucking crash into crowds some more, "HURR TYRES ARE NOT WORTH BUYING"

Fucking idiot.

so you are just talking shit then on the internet. cool.

Your clutch must be fucked then. get it checked out

>hurrr durrr

wow you're so fucking dumb it's not funny. How do you not understand what's happened?

Also, go take a timestamped pic of your car cunt. The local bus doesn't count.

Figured out where you're wrong yet?

>Conveniently missing the fact r33 GTR user is talking about wet, hard gear changes as well and saying he has no problem.

You are an idiot.

>Talks mad shit about performance tyres not being worth it
>Does not actually own a high powered car
>Someone who does enters thread and proves him wrong
>Tries to claim he has 180kw
>Has more than double on his street tune alone, at the wheels
>Still grasping at straws while we all laugh

>tyre

What the fuck are you autists talking about?

You are confusing me with a shitposter.

I was simply stating you are talking out of your ass. My car makes phenomenal amounts of power, in a RWD bias AWD and maintains superb traction in the wet.

You appear to have very little experience in a car running high end tyres, because i can tell you right now the moment i bought these, the entire car's feel changed.

I'll repeat it again. On wet, hard shifts i do not slide in the slightest. At most, i will get a tiny skid, before regaining traction in milliseconds.

This is during launches, as well.

Don't even respond to him. He's either trolling or fucktarded for even suggesting that cars running a lot of power "just slide out" in a straight line, regardless of wet or dry.

The only way that happens is if you have one of the following.

>Shitty diff
>Shitty tires
>Shitty control over the wheel

Mustang owner CONFIRMED

Listen, i know you're used to dropping a bit of power and then instantly sliding into a crowd of people, but it's not normal in

>Ferraris
>Lambos
>GTR's
>Any properly built car

Power alone does not make you crash, you dipshit.

I'm literally dying of laughter right now. Been lurking this whole time and just thinking of this video.

youtube.com/watch?v=X6I_P5a6RC8

>You don't need good tires guys

Funniest thing was him trying to talk shit to the guy making 500hp at the wheels on a street tune as if he had no power.

tippy top kek, this thread is fucking gold. Post more, you autistic mustang driver

youtube.com/watch?v=1L4EnFTN1lo

Guys, the reason he thinks it's normal to slide out when you give a bit of gas is because it's a common mustang issue.

It's not his fault, he's just never driven anything good, just a mustang.

Lolled

Where did the mustang driver go? He fucked off right about the time dyno sheets got posted.

On another note, what's the GTR like? Is the AWD that good?

Well, the AWD is great, but it's not the end all be all.

When i bought the car, it was sliding out similar to OP's situation (and also had garbage tires). Replacing those just changed it entirely, so i highly recommend getting a good set of them as your first handling upgrade.

As for the AWD, it's phenomenal at taking wide sweeping turns at double or triple the advised speed. That's where the GTR shines, in a track situation.

Really tight twisties, it's ok, but not amazing.

I always try to avoid shifting mid corner in the rain because of the OPs exact problem.

OP's talking about a straight line though. Spooling a turbo on a corner, or hard shifting is something most people know, but if it comes out on you while you're straight....you've set something up wrong. Either your diff is fucked, or your tyres are trash, or something else is wrong.

It's NOT normal, no matter how aggressively you shift.

Watch videos of 2000hp cars doing drags, even they manage to put the power down (they might slide a bit but not to the point you need countersteer).

Below a thousand HP, a set of high performance tyres will keep it locked on during straights. It's almost impossible to fuck up, you literally have to be turning the wheel.

The OP doesn't mentio whether or not he was in a corner but does in fact mention counter steering, which I don't know what that looks like a straight lie which makes me highly suspect that he shifted mid corner in the rain andthen surprise surprise his tail end kicked out and needed to counter steer.

That said, and given that the OP doesn't seem to know much about the problwm, it ibdeed could be any number of things including I suppose large amounts of horsepower on some wet concrete road.

>awd with barely even 500 whp can't get sideways
>this is absurd/phenomenal amounts of power for Veeky Forums
this board is such a piece of shit

He was saying it kicked out on him, meaning the rear slid out. He then countersteered it under control.

A lot faster than your school bus mate

>tyres

post disregarded.

Top fucking kek, you're the dumbass that was insinuating he was stock.

Lurk moar, that particular user's street tune is 500 at the wheels, he's posted dynos at over 800.

Furthermore, i've just read this thread and have to conclude you are the BIGGEST moron ever.

Are you actually insinuating that in a straight line, in the wet, a car is "not good" if it does not kick out on you and put you in a wall the moment you get on the gas?

You really do sound like a mustang driver, only used to going sideways the moment he steps on the gas, but for everyone else who has the $$ to afford some decent tires, no, it's not an issue.

Now if OP did this in a corner, i could understand. Straightline? No, you need well over a thousand hp to kick it out like that, assuming you're set up right.

Lurk moar, you shitty mustang owner.

>a RWD car in the rain
>i was at about 4k rpm's in first before i switched to 2nd
>i was dropping the clutch
>actually made the back slide out

You don't say

There's only so much you can do to make a powerful rwd car hook on street tires.

Good wide tires definitely help, but driver inputs (accelerator/clutch) are so much more critical especially in a car equipped with a manual transmission.

I've heard wider tires usually don't help in the rain because they will hydroplane easier. True or not?

OP mentioned he was not redlining it and was dead straight. With a good set of tyres (he mentioned he was not crazy hp) he should be fine.

Now on a corner...that's another story.

500hp at all 4 wheels is pretty crazy for a street tune.

You don't want to be rolling around with 1000hp, yes it's doable but shit can get annoying.

Better to have a high level street tune and a 2nd map for when you want to race/track

Of course this is Veeky Forums so we should hate on anyone who has a nice car, right?

Not really. Lots of cars come from the factory with over 500 hp completely stock. Even your run of the mill pony cars are approaching that number rapidly.

The new ss camaro has what 20 less hp than that?

It's still impressive a 20 year old car can go toe to toe with modern supercars, to be honest.

I remember watching bathurst as a kid, it's nice to see the skyline still hanging around.

My point was that something above 500hp is pretty crazy for driving on the streets, regardless of if it's built or stock.

Stop-go traffic can get annoying when you have to feather the throttle ALL THE TIME.

I dunno, i ended up running 2 maps for my HSV a while back, with just 400 for the street and 680 for when i wanted to go faster.

Wat? The contact patch is only enlarged by a wider tire, minimally but still. Wider tires hydroplane worse. Get decent summer tires. I got Ventus v12 and they are a surprisingly good compromise between grip and durability.

>base model camaros are super cars

Wat?

Driving a powerful car on the street is no different than driving a camry especially when that power is provided via forced induction.

He's talking about built ones competing with supercars.

I agree, it's impressive that a little bit of work makes them pretty powerful and i'm glad to see they're still running around wrecking muscle.

Holden owners still have flashbacks to bathurst kek

I disagree. You always have to be very careful feathering the throttle because you can so quickly reach stupid speeds and will then have to slam hard on the brakes.

It's just easier to have two maps, instead of dailying a thousand hp and always being careful, you can tap the throttle a bit more.

If your ECU lets you switch over easily, why would you not?
Also, e85 tunes. You don't want to be running e85 as your daily fuel, shit is more expensive than premium here once you factor in how quickly it goes.

>No different
>Can't push the throttle past 25% or you're either slamming on the brakes, fined by cops or hitting someone.

Yea, it's doable but why would you put yourself through that? You have to be way too careful, it's not like driving an econobox where you punch the throttle a bit and no-one cares.

A rough shift in the rain will break traction with a pretty wide range of tires. Obviously it depends on how much power we’re talking about, but your driving style is probably not going to be safe unless you get some UHP tires. Every brand makes them so I don’t have any particular recommendations, but if you don’t drive in subzero temperatures then get summer compounds (and drive carefully when it's cold)

Dafaq. All integras came from the factory with re002s. Why the fuck would anyone downgrade?

>I slam gears
Enjoy your transmission giving you the finger and shitting out on you. Sell your car and get a bus pass.

I just slapped some v12s on. Liking them so far. Much better than the hardened nt05s I had on. Taking it like a champ so far.

>180 km/h
>limiter still in place

Recently I went from Nankang Noble Sport 255/40R17 to Dunlop Sport Maxx TT in the same dimensions. The Nankangs had a lot of tread depth left but were overall a shit tyre and had lot of sidewall flex; the Dunlops on the other hand have a huge amount of grip, and I can launch my 328i from 5000RPM with a few minor chirps (3.15 final drive).

Also, don't expect a good launch if you're running an open diff. That's why I switched to an LSD.

get some rain biased tyres la
continentals, uniroyals, vredesteins