Hey o...

Hey o. I wanna buy an economy car for 5k or less that will last me a few years or a least not turn into a lemon or have any catastrophic failures. I'd also like something that's relatively good on gas. Can this be done? I like everything about the Honda Civic, good mpg, good size, looks comfy. Problem is I've heard the 2000s models have shitty transmissions. Does that mean I avoid the car altogether or try to find a good one? I don't wanna go to a stealership but trying to find a local buy is pretty tough, though I'm willing to travel. Any advice in general for used car buying? I feel like the sticky is getting outdated and doesn't address a lot of the issues with 2000+ model cars.

Sorry about the blog post and thanks in advance.

Other urls found in this thread:

louisville.craigslist.org/cto/5553850903.html
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Define "relatively good on gas" for a list of better options. for 5k there are tons of great deals you can find from private sellers.

sticky was updated last year, what issues do you feel it doesn't address?

>Problem is I've heard the 2000s models have shitty transmissions.
Just get a manual one. Honda manuals are bulletproof.

I don't know how to drive manual I don't like the concept of shifting. Yes I suck at cars.

The pictograph is like 10 years old. No good info on 2000's cars

Jesus fucking Christ.

Sure
>Ford Focus
>Mazda3
>Chevy Cobalt/Saturn Ion
>Toyota Corolla

These will be reliable, ignore the ignition meme for GM cause they've already been taken care of, but the Focus and Mazda3 will probably do you best and are more fun to.drive than a Corolla

>Ford Focus
No
>Chevy Cobalt/Saturn Ion
No
Trash

Only the auto is shit in those Civics.

>passing up the opportunity to learn a simple, useful skill because you're lazy and afraid
Don't do this user.

>he drank the Wapanese kool-aid

Okay, yes I am lazy. But I am not afraid, at all. I'm a decent driver and I know I could learn manual but I'm planning on moving to the city and manual is unappealing. Im not an enthusiast. I'm interested in cars in a comfy, reliable way, and I know manual trans is more reliable, I just want to side step.

Buy my 84 firebird off me bruh

>he drank the murifat koolaid

Bump?

Seriously, my brother owns a focus and my girlfriend owns a cobalt, both were bought around 60k miles, both are around 120k now, and both are GARBAGE. get a mazda6 over a mazda 3. any toyota is fine (but boring)

Your brother and girlfriend ran them into the ground, not the car's fault

90s Corolla or Civic. Indestructible slushbox shitbox.

Focus's, cavaliers, sunfires and cobalts always have been and always will be garbage. They'll run forever, but that doesn't mean they're not worthless crap

If you're not an enthusiast why are you here? Just buy any shitbox that looks decent and fuck off.

It's a DD, stop acting like a commuter car is anything other than a throwaway

Just because you choose to drive a shitty car everyday doesn't mean you should be convincing other people to.

gutted prius
seriously unless the battery is fucked

we used them at work for deliveries and shit

Because I'm poor and I need a good shitbox, not just any shitbox

Yay or nay?

louisville.craigslist.org/cto/5553850903.html

Any shitbox is a good shitbox.

Ok op. Here's a tip. Most 4 cyl cheap on gas cars break down anywhere from 80-100k miles. Pic a car with more mileage than that and you shouldnt have any problems. Granted you may need to fix a fee things here and there but it's relatively a better choice.

My gramaws 89 GMC suburban never breaks down and she's got hella miles on it. Granted it's carburated and 15mpg, but it's super reliable.

Also we have a 2003 Saturn ion. Problems with this so far we've came across is
>transmission sometimes acts funny but it's ignorable
>o2 sensor needs replaced

Other than that it's pretty solid. It's an OK little car, keep in mind this is coming from a "hurr Durr lifted truk big carburaytor and lifted deesul hurr Durr" kinda guy

Maybe to the untrained eye

The thing is, brand and model doesn't matter at all. You could get a money pit corolla just as easily as a great corolla. Or civic. Or focus. Or whatever. You have to pick one that has been treated well. But even then shit can fail. You just need to be prepared financially.