>ugly
It is pretty expensive though. [spoiler]Never drove one.[/spoiler]

French engine. Built by the Irish.

Please ask before responding to my posts

>Unreliable
>Super underpowered even during it's height
>Absurdly expensive even for the time, more so today
>Gimmicky
The only reason it's popular is because of Back to the Future. Had it not been for that trilogy, the car would have been forgotten.

>Had it not been for that trilogy, the car would have been forgotten.

Doubt it. It's still a stainless steel car with an interesting story. That would've been enough of a gimmick to give it a substantial collector base. It just would've been forgotten by the mainstream normies like the Bricklin SV-1. Maybe less so because John DeLorean was more well known.

>expensive to make
>default suspension settings for the US market were awful
>120 HP from a shitty European V6
>stainless steel panels meant no paint, which made fixing dents and scratches very difficult
>also meant no paint options since nothing would stick

it's the perfect car to ls1 swap desu

The only time I've ever seen of one everyone refers to it as "that car from that film".

I think user is right, if not for the film it would long be forgotten in the public's eye. It obviously still has a very strong fan base dedicated to the base car today, its only popular in that small circle though, for the most part nobody knows or cares of its existence.

I love the design and the stainless steel body, doors etc all pretty quirky ideas but it was too quirky for its own good in the end. It has possibly the worst engine they could have lumped into it too.

Piece of shit. Overpriced for its time, overpriced today because it's a meme car. Also if it flips you're stuck inside.

Really just needs an LS swap.

The original was supposed to have like 250bhp if I'm not mistaken, but that's still pretty 850i tier with a 2 tonn car.

>leblackmanface.gif
Yes? What do you want?

>tfw we never got the M8
>tfw being reminded that there's but one out there, and it's locked away in a vault in bavaria

such pain

also in that vault; E36 cabrio.

hnnnnngh.

e34*

>not posting the v12 X5 and the e46 M3 touring

Design was good.
Quality may have been a bit subpar, but that could've easily improved had the production run been longer. A similar wedge-shaped car (the Esprit) fared well in the 80's market with similar reliability.

The main problem was the engine and the price. Due to their BTTF fame and rarity, they've kept their pricing very well, so they won't depreciate anymore - but it's what kept them from getting bought in the first place.

The engine however, is truly it's downfall. With a midly upgraded Busso V6, it could've done a lot better, nevermind what a nice V8 could've done. All in all, I think Delorean should've teamed up with Lotus, building the DMC-12 with components from the Esprit - at the very least it's drivetrain and suspension. The DMC-12 deserved a better engine, and it would've been plain excellent with the later 3.5 twinturbo V8.

I first saw it in southward museum did not even know what it be
mostly remember it being shiny as fuck
mostly this
poor design and bad labour relations
the doors are super heavy as well
they have torsion bars on top of gas struts
and high voltage Fluorescent lamps up in there too

Everyone forgets that even BTTF knew the car was shit, hence Marty's surprise that Doc built a time machine out of a fucking DeLorean.

The problem isn't the engine. The prv had 120 hp with a catalyst, in an era when the chevrolet corvette made 200 hp out of it's much heavier 5.7 V8 (being more than twice the displacement and made out of cast iron).

The build quality is it's biggest problem, but the chassis itself was basically lifted from the esprit, which meant that it was both prone to rust (despite the stainless steel body), and rather weak, considering that the delorean is much heavier than the esprit and the chassis wasn't that strong to beguin with.

lotusespritworld.com/EHistory/DeLorean.html

Shit engine
Shit transmission
Shit suspension

But looks cool as fuck

>Not posting the E30 M3 Ute with the E92 M3 Ute in the background

>The problem isn't the engine

but that's wrong, you fucking retard

it made 120 HP. Maybe in europoor land that's crazy power, but for Christ's sake, it was 120 fucking HP

>prone to rust
>stainless steel
Wew

It started out as one of pic. designed,obviously, by Lotus but had to have a stainless shell and gull wing doors for the US market and be made in Northern Ireland by people who had never built a car before in the middle of the "Troubles" and be paid for by UK tax payers money.
Things went downhill from there.
Things went downhi

ll, Coke Smuggler.

All it needs is a new engine. It only weighs 2700 lbs so more power would liven it up.

More like framed by the US government despite no indication of past activities. It's like they were simply trying to bust random people.

They went to a V6 Renault 3.0L ? Because it had to move under its own power.
A 2.0 straight four served perfectly well in Bonds car.
But of course that wasn't made of pigfat and coke.

For me it has too high of price because of the movie, and everyone knows the quality is iffy at best.

I actually love the looks, most cars looks I can get used to except for the squished up high and short compacts I've seen lately like the Chevy Spark.

I would honestly own one if I had a lot of money to spend on keeping a dozen cars or so. It isn't a good car but I think it would give you the fun experience.

Theres plenty of people who put better motors in it. It needs more besides that especially the US version, but nothing unfixable

There's V8 twin turbo designed, funnily enough, by Lotus that mates to that gearbox.

Runs on Coke.

>adequate =/= desirable

20something years later nobody realizes that actually getting a DeLorean to 88mph was part of that joke too.

It's like how 20 years from now you'll have people our age not getting that joke about the Jaguar not starting in Mad Men. People put the DeLorean and the E Type on a pedestal without realizing that while they look great they're horrible cars to actually own.

One word.

PRV

interior is bland

theres some old fuck by my work that has old cars and exotics we work on sometimes, he brought his DMC12 in and i got to drive it/work on it and everything. the interior/dash is bland and the car itself isnt that fast, its a cool one off car but fuck if i would own one

everything except the design

Someone thought that we ought to pay an American to build any fucking awful car he had in mind and have us pay for them to be built by unskilled labour in order to give said unskilled labour something else to do than try to kill each other.
That was always going to end up well.

Thanks user, I felt so alone when I laughed my ass at that joke in Mad Men.

>tfw you wanna suicide by CO2 poisonig and your car doesnt even start
>tfw you realize youre pretty much like Lane Price but with half the charm and no nigger qt3.14.