/dfg/ - Dwarf Fortress General

lego edition

Previous thread >Download the basic game here. Current version is Dwarf Fortress 0.43.06
bay12games.com/dwarves/

>Official forums:
bay12forums.com/smf/index.php

>Find a bug? Don't tell us! Tell Toady! Complaining in the thread will accomplish nothing.
bay12games.com/dwarves/mantisbt

>Have a question? Check the wiki first:
dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/Main_Page

>Fireden archived threads:
boards.fireden.net/vg/search/subject/Dwarf Fortress/

>Dwarf Therapist (Out of Date):
bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=122968.0

>DFHack (Out of Date):
bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=139553.0

>Starter Pack (Out of Date):
bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=126076.0

>More DF stuff:
pastebin.com/AnsHjQ40

>Dwarf Fortress General IRC chat:
en.irc2go.com/webchat/?net=freenode&room=dwarffortress
(to connect yourself: webchat.freenode.net #dwarffortress)

>A bunch of guides to various parts of fort-based living:
imgur.com/a/nGyRF#0

>Video tutorials:
youtube.com/playlist?list=PLBrdUj1adIBD-vgUodaaxebcdqQ4oEWtg
youtube.com/playlist?list=PLD1A3FE72C0DCAC66 (Dated, but good)

>Text tutorials:
dwarffortresswiki.org/DF2014:Tutorials
members.iinet.net.au/~morty/Getting_Started_with_Dwarf_Fortress.pdf

>This pasta:
pastebin.com/iAduXzjn

Strike the earth!

>designate meeting hall around dining room
>make it a tavern/inn
>press space
>about 1 second passes
>Åblel Kekïmingiz, Axedwarf is visiting.
>Gasim Dukorimtil, Human Bard is visiting.
>Onaf Tolbuh, Human Swordsman is visiting.

Whoa, that was fast. I didn't even get any migrants yet.

So, why exactly is it taking so long for Therapist to update? Is it because of the new x64 meme? Cause .43.05 didn't take a long time to release at all.

Alright, this time I'll try to dig down to the near the magma asap, carve out my fort there while gathering a ton of plants & wood on the surface.

What could go wrong?

>Is it because of the new x64 meme?

pretty much, all the addresses would have moved, the way the data is accessed and edited potentially changed

Is there a way to do the prospector thing for the new version?

you'll have to go with exploration shafts instead of dirty cheats

I'm considering using DFhack to make soil at my fort, which is located very deep down, near the magma sea.

Yay/nay? Having farming and rest of fort seperated by ~130 z-levels doesn't seem very effective.

no water in your caverns? dropping water down is pretty easy

Actually, I have water pretty close to the underground fort. But what does that have to with anything?

>But what does that have to with anything?
watered stone can have farms built on it?

Woah, really? Awesome!

are you bullying me :(

It's been a while.
Is it normal that the 64bit version actually runs slower than usual? My computer isn't the greatest thing but at least I got 100 solid fps on embark while now I have something like 80. Shit's gonna go awry as soon as I get migrants.

have you hit the caverns yet? pathing is a big thing and it takes into account every accessible tile from what I understand, for every creature, at every step

No, I've just seen the fps drop at embark. I'm going to keep playing and see what happens once I hit caverns.

No, I just didn't know it. For real. I've always built my fort 5-10 levels below the surface and then kept farming in the natural soil up there.

why is it inaccessible?

no real obstacles that I can notice

Boulder. Smooth it.

that boulder there outside the entrance, you can build a floor on it then remove the floor and it will be gone, looks like a sideways 8

this works too but looks ugly imo

fuckin hell, didn't see that. Still learning the matrix

thanks

it always gets ya when you're learning, it's not a very intuitive functionality

What is more dwarfy?

Building into the face of a mountain?
Or building straight down like a bunker?

I'd say mountain. Dorfs are to mountains what elves are to a vegetable garbage dump

>it takes into account every accessible tile from what I understand, for every creature, at every step
It doesn't. It counts tiles in every accessible direction until it reach its pathing destination whenever it has to calculate a path for a creature. Having caverns open will mean that sometimes those calculations might flow into into the caverns. But unless a dwarf is pathing to a destination hundreds of tiles away or the calculation begins near the cavern, most of the cavern will usually not be included in the calculation because a path will be found to the destination long before any significant portion of possible cavern paths are drawn. Some creatures, notably thieving animals and building destroyers, will path into your fort from the caverns.
It becomes an issue for really big forts and forts that built near the caverns, but in the typical /dfg/ memefort (3-5 zlevels of rows of squares just below the surface) most paths will be drawn to destinations near enough that the caverns will never considered in the calculation.

ultimate dwarfy as far as I'm concerned is building on the side of a worldgen tunnel

First blood at Metaldale. Does it count if a dwarf wasn't (initially) involved?
A cave troll got into the halls somehow and ran into a human bard who was leaving after a successful gig.
The bard fought back wielding his percussion instrument but got fucking wrecked before he managed to knock the troll out. Both started collapsing and vomiting all over the place; a passing fisherdwarf then tried to kill the troll with his bare hands but couldn't dent its thick skull.
The sole member of the militia was busy drinking and fetching a shinier mail shirt, but eventually showed up and finished the creature off.
I almost wish this place was getting more migrants.

huh good to know, thanks

Depends on if we're talking hill or deep dorfs.

The niche of the player fortress is largely bridging the two realms.

Dwarfiest not to choose one or the other.

how hard is it to do an above ground fort? Assuming favorable conditions

Favorable conditions meaning access to a forest? Not too bad, you probably wanna make a fence around your fort tho.

much easier than it was before trees dropped a bajillion logs, much harder than before things could climb

Those two things happened in the same update.

If I have really high velocity cart get on the highest friction track stop, is it possible that it can't slow down to a halt and try to go into the next tile? I have a floodgate behind that stop, will it smash through?

>kangaroos are milkable

now that is a fucking impressive feat

not very hard, but can get annoying
an early werebeast attack is much harder to deal with, so you might want to make (even temporary) walls around your building area and take a couple extra dogs to keep watch
your overall building progress will be slower than if you were digging. not really a big deal if you know what you're doing in DF, but something to keep in mind if, say, you're choosing a dead civ where there's a chance one of your starting dwarves is going to become monarch and start demanding super-nice rooms right away

other than that, the main concern is probably flying creatures. not necessarily because they're dangerous (you HAVE to have marksdwarves anyway), but because things like buzzards or kea will constantly interrupt and annoy your dwarves. make sure you always have plenty of booze on hand as I think this helps keep citizens from freaking out, and make sure your marksdwarves have tons and TONS of ammo available, since they will waste loads of it shooting down irritating birds

oh and when you go about building your actual, final walls, remember to make them 2 z-levels thick and at least that high, ideally with an overhang too

>2 z-levels thick
2 tiles thick, I meant

I don't get it. Are you dogposting to deflect criticism for the stupid thing you said? Is it working?

*If I have a high velocity cart that passes over a highest friction stop

I don't know what the hell happened to my post back there.

yo'ur memes

I'm not sure what exactly you're asking, but the amount a cart will slow from a given track stop depends as much on its weight as the friction of the stop. A copper cart moving at the same speed as a birch cart will take a lot more work to stop than the birch one will. How fast "high velocity" is matters a lot. In any case, high friction stops don't usually completely halt the momentum of even light carts if they're moving very fast, so if you want to stop it you should consider a series of stops. Turns are very effective for leeching momentum as well.
Minecarts can't destroy buildings, but if they're moving faster than 1 tile per tick they can teleport through them (and walls too).

My outpost liaison is a goblin and so are a lot of the positions listed in the civ tab. What's this?

goblins are small humanoids prone to evil

you like goblins for their terrifying features

So one corner of my fortress's embark zone is sinister with a chance of fetid rain. Of course that's exactly the direction the merchants would be coming from.
They don't seem to be enjoying their visit too much.
Can merchants actually go crazy in recent versions? In the past it was possible if they got stuck or spent too much time breathing miasma and/or smoke, but seems like stress builds up much slower than unhappiness did.

Yeah, merchants will still go crazy if they're unable to leave. Merchants going crazy from miasma or smoke has never been a thing.

Any good informative lets plays I can watch? Id learn a lot better just watching someone decent play than reading guides.

I made my track spiral go like this. As you see I placed no piece of corner tracks on ramps to evade that checkpoint bug, and yet the cart still slows down after a few levels. I just wanna be able to push it once and leave it rolling all the way down. Does anyone here dabble in the mystical arts of minaecarts? How do you organize your downward routes?

I just noticed that merchant not leaving Depot may be also problem its acces. Trying to fix that problem now before they go mad.

Forgot the picture dammit.

You'll learn more still just by playing, I think. your first fort might be a fuck-up, but everyone's first fort is a fuck-up, and your first fort would probably be a fuck-up even if you watched every LP in the world beforehand
besides, most of the people who make those (and guides) are married to stupid ideas, often obsolete ones from old versions of DF, and you can find better solutions by trying stuff out on your own

if you can't learn properly with guides this game isn't for you pamilya

I can't see any reason the carts would be stopping on the tracks, the momentum gained from a drop should carry it to the next ramp at the very least. Maybe try using a heavier cart?
Personally, I rarely let carts go on momentum alone, I prefer guided carts or powered/impulse tracks. In fact, if your carts keep stopping even after trying a heavier cart, you might consider impulse power every few z levels to give it a boost.

I think I've been designating tracks on the ramps wrong the entire time. I used to start designating on the track itself, and then continue in the direction I wanted it. Now I've read on that advanced guide that the piece of track on the ramp must touch a wall, so I redesignated some carving to be done. I'll let you know if the cart breaks the sound barrier.

goblins can sometimes integrate with dorfs

Few visitors are standing in big 3/4 water pond and are rarely if ever moving. Even if ramp or doors are near.

It was inevitable.

Is this you?

>tfw miasma feels tunnels

This may be common knowledge, but if you must attack a goblin dark fortress, do it at night. So many sleeping goblins will make the FPS much better.

Of course you will want to bring a murder macro for all the beheading you'll be doing.

Still not funny.

But it is.

I bet you made that post and now trying to force meme.

As if. It's a wide-spread internet phenomenom.

This is amazing, though perhaps it could use someone that either looks like a dfg player or like a dorf

found the source

this shit's so forced not even seaking could save it

Trying to force stupid memes is a widespread internet phenomenon, too.

Shit. Meant for

alright lads what is the BEST animal-man to play as in adventure mode?

anything big or flying is good, but I had dangerous amounts of fun playing as a hippo man a while back. big and strong as fuck, amphibious, and can one-shot goblins by biting their heads off
only downside is they're physically incapable of jumping

Elephant man due to size I reckon

Am i better off making a temple for every single deity my dwarves worship, or should I just make one good temple to no one special?

big one

Start with the latter, and then add more as you see fit.

I AM a DWARF

And I'm DIGGING a HOLE

DIGGY diggy HOLE

DIGGING a HOLE

xD

Like some user pointed out a couple of days ago. underground plants don't grow all seasons but above ground plants do. that's stupid, so I changed the raws so that underground plants grow all seasons. but I also doubled the maturation rate in an effort to balance plump helmets etc. It's kind of ridiculous that a couple of 4x4 plots of plump helmets can feed 200 dwarves.

Dude. With normal raws a 3x3 plot of plump helmets can feed 200 dwarves.

That IS stupid. Underground plants aren't going to be affected by the seasons on the surface, why are they limited like that?

Elephant man. Very VERY powerful, but its tusks are a truly incredible weapon.

>fun embark with lots of hematite and flux
>random fisherdwarf making weapons and armor because of negligence
>finally get some migrants, start setting up militia
>build stress from thoughts of steel being crafted (slowly) into inferior gear
>Rîsen Ûthirkûbuk, Fishery Worker withdraws from society...
It's that fisherdwarf. And he's carrying stuff into the metal workshop. Praise Armok!

This picture always horrifies me. There isn't interspecies miscegnation in the game, but dorfs and humies can still find themselves swamped by hordes of goblins until dorflands are nothing but a sea of green.

>dat feeling when anyone born to visitors in your fortress automatically becomes a citizen who you must feed and provide for for his entire life

it depends on the skill of the growers but yes it's ridiculous.
a 3x3 plot can hold 9 plants
a well trained grower gets stacks of 5 plants per growing spot. this adds up to 45 plump helmets for a 3x3 plot.
plump helmets mature in 25 days. this results in around 13 harvests per year. which equals 485 plump helmets per year.
if all these were converted into drinks the amount would be multiplied by a factor 5.
so you would end up with 2425 drinks per year for a 3x3 farming plot.
this amount of drinks can sustain around 202 dwarves.

if you want to supply them with food you need around 2-3 3x3 plots

He made Akurenam, "Championpure", a steel spear. It is encircled with bands of oval granite cabochons and menaces with spikes of steel.
It's worth about 100k and almost tripled the wealth of the fortress.
His weaponsmithing also went from dabbling to legendary +something. I guess we'll have decent weapons after all.

That's why I stick with 4x4 plots.
A little bit of extra never hurt anyone.

"We come from a family of botanists and gardeners."
-Toady One

>went from dabbling to legendary +something
If he was dabbling then it went to legendary +1. Moods grant a flat +20k xp in the skill, which is exactly enough to go to leg+1, and dabbling skill isn't enough to push it beyond that.

Maybe they grow on the ceiling and not the floor and are actually roots?

That doesn't explain why surface plants aren't seasonal, though.

Not much about underground plants makes sense.

bumpa

GPU broke today i think

Screen goes all black with spooky green dots covering it at boot

anyone ever experience anything like this before?

not entirely dorf related i know