Engine swaps

I'm thinking about swapping a 2.0l turbo out of a focus ST into my first gen mustang. Should I do it for the low weight?
Base model weighed 2445lbs

Other urls found in this thread:

summitracing.com/parts/hpe-hp11c
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

should do it for the performance weight economy and sound tbqh

Swap a Barra into it instead

A 302 will cost less, be faster, and more reliable. But the 2.0l will get better mileage if you drive like grandma.

You should swap it for a kubota diesel

>can't into ecomod.

Pretty sure it's cost more than 12k to get it shipped to WI and install it
I don't want to v8 swap it cuz everyone v8 swaps these things.
>inb4 I wanna be special

From what I can tell I don't think that's a good idea. I want a decent 0-60 and I think a tuned 2.0 turbo will do it. But I don't know if there is something better out there. I want a good power / weight

>I'm thinking about swapping a 2.0l turbo out of a focus ST into my first gen mustang
No you aren't.

>not swapping in a big block

>cuz everyone
Then why choose a Mustang? They are as common as dirt.

>not ls swapping it

Lol I'm not gay enough for that
>cheap
>old
>iconic car
Need something to make a track toy

Maybe I'll rice it out and make it a drift car. I wanna rustle some jimmies with this thing.

>gay enough

LS swaps are pretty faggy

Then you must be a fag, because deep down you know it's your greatest desire.

the only LS worth swapping is a B18B into a Honda

GM LS is for talentless "me too" hacks who only care about numbers and not cars

They are like the Miata of engine swaps.
Pretty gay

>track toy
>1965 Mustang
>cheap
Good luck faggot

>inb4 you post a pic of a GT350

First, the ST has a 2.3L turbo
Second, no you're not and I'm surprised you didn't start the thread saying you want to RB swap your mustang you faggot

I could RB swap it. But I want it to be light. And get more butt hurt faggot

Where are you from that the ST has a 2.3?

He from europoor

>Best V8 per dollar ever made

POS honda motor

Either use a k20 or just dd that granny shit.

But not even the euros had a 2.3l ST
It's only in the RS

>bara
n...no homo

the LS is overpriced and overrated

just like the K20

:^)

LS and over priced in the same sentence

>must be downs, newfag and or trowl?

I doubt you have the money or expertise to do it. You'd need a whole donor car. Wiring, engine, trans, ecu, etc.

a Windsor is better for the money
so is a SBC
so is a BBC

I get that you only know meme engines but come on

An LS is a SBC you retard

youre really grasping now

or youre really stupid

no one refers to an LS as a SBC its common knowledge that SBC refers to gen 1

fucking kids I swear

I have it in a shop right now getting some framework done. I won't be doing the swap, so I just want to know what to put in. Money isn't really an issue. I have a ceiling of 20k
>inb4 get a normal car with the 20k

>framework
It's a unit-body car, retard.

Ignoring the obvious (that this thread is bullshit)
Why are you swapping a FWD motor and not 2.3 ecoboost and transmission?

>Money isn't really an issue.
>cheap

Which one is it

Okay fine god it's getting the floor redone. Fuck off

I e had it for three years. Got it originally because it was cheap with the plan of swapping it.

If I Windsor swap it would it be better to try and find a 302 out of some POS in a yard somewhere or buy a crate?

If money truly isn't an issue, then buy a crate.

depends on whether or not you want to build the engine yourself or not, or have the shop bill you for building the engine. you can buy used built motors though.

Also I live in WI so everything up here is rusty af

Could I get decent power / price ratio if I bought a used one and had it refurbished? I know it'd give me more power to have a crate.

If I buy a crate would it be better to get a normal 302 or would it be better to get like a 347 stroker

You get the added benefit of learning about your engine if you do it yourself and it will be cheaper than having a shop do it

he's not going to do that.

depends on how much power you realistically want. you can spend as much as you want and make as much power as you want, but it all depends on how much you are budgeting for an engine.

Get as many cubic inches as you can afford.

He knows I'm not going to do that lel

Well the more ci you get does it start getting unreliable? I don't wanna be throwin cash down this things throat 24/7

how many hp do you want? how much do you want to spend all in on the engine?

I would do that but unfortunately I lack the equipment and the shops around here don't let you work on your own shit in their garages because of safety shit. i know how engines work and if I get a crate then would I not know that everything is new in it?

Well I was looking at dropping 9k for a turbo4 after all was said and done but the only reason is go to a v8 is to save money now to upgrade it later. So probably ~7k

yeah you could get a nice crate engine for that much. decent hp, good strong stock base if you want to turn up the wick and it's bee reliable.

summitracing.com/parts/hpe-hp11c

THIS

dont be a fag OP, do it

if you are getting a crate get a 351, not a 302, the price difference is minimal and you can stroke it up to 427 inches

Wait, if you have a i6, then build that. They can be made relatively powerful.

Larger engines are more reliable than smaller engines with the same horsepower.

>crate get a 351, not a 302
The 351 is physically larger and he may run into fitment issues.

I don't really want something that big. The 302 would fit nicely into 66 stang but 351's and larger start making you cut out shock towers and getting k members and all that garbage. Although I might do that anyway cuz coilovers

The aftermarket for the 200 i6 is less than a third of that of the 302. Also it's the original engine and has 78k in 50 years. I don't want to rebuild it in fear of the rust involved. Plus
>muh v8

Use a GT-R engine like in Tokyo Drift.

Become the Drift King.

Drop in a dorito spinner, preferably one with three rotors. Guaranteed to annoy at least someone

>not a single picture of OPs Mustang

Yeah I believe you.

I'm working right now. Don't have any pics on my phone.
Also why wouldn't you? 1st gen stands are common.

>won't swap barra, too expensive
>pricing up a crate 427W

>work

Middle school isn't a job, kid.

Probably just a 2 piece set of headers to clear steering rack. 351w isn't too much larger

the 351 is just a 302 with a taller deck height, the 302 is not a itght fit to begin with

you dont need to cut shock towers or get new k members, the 351 has the same bolt pattern and engine mount

because an australian market-only engine with 0 aftermarket in the US is totally going to be a cost efficient thing to put in your mustang with no local knowledge anywhere here. the price to ship the engine is enough to build your own 350hp+ 302 in your garage.

>track toy
>first gen mustang
R u avin a giggle m8

fuck off cuck

All you need is a specific set of headers and maybe an oil pan depending on the style to fit a 351w into a 1966 mustang. There might be good clearance issues depending on the intake and carb spacer.

If you want to change the front end put a mustang ii front end in it and delete the shock towers. You'll be able to fit damn near anything in it.

Since day one m80

No no no. A SBC is a Gen 1 small block. The LS is the Gen 2 and usually features extensive use of aluminum as opposed to most Gen 1s being cast iron. Same as I wouldn't call a modern 5.7 Chrysler hemi a SBM because that's a 273-360 to me and most others.

I mean you can totally argue to make me do something that I'm not gonna do anyway. Have fun wasting both of our time.

>get told by a logical response
>only option left is to resort to calling people a cuck.

ls is gen 3

just pointing out some inconsistencies in OP's story

I mean having a full time job and posting on Veeky Forums isn't possible right?

op just wants a cool and quick mustang, I don't think he necessarily knows the intricacies of cars. and that's fine.

also if you want to be a special snowflake just swap a dfv for ultimate internet points.

I'm doing anything over 351. A crate 427 would be retarded for me to get.

Well then why don't you just get a mustang ii with a 4 cylinder or is that just too much power for you still

He understands. The car world isn't necessarily super accessible to a 19yo. Most people are like "you don't know wtf you are doing" and shit like that. Makes it hard to learn.
>19
>had 1st gen mustang for three years
>have a full time job
>still living with parents
Can you dig it

351 is one of your best bets. that's what I am swapping into my truck at some point.

Already have the 66.

I can dig it
>20
>don't know where I am going to be living in a month
>need a new job
>my truck is in cali but I am trying to get it out here asap and 351 swap because piggufattu lowpo 300

427 stroker is the same size as the 351 btw. Uses all the same parts just a different crank and rods

do this instead

Yea. I always thought the 351 was wider than the 302.

It is.

>351W
Pretty tight in a 66. It's not impossible, but no one appreciates having to work on them either.

Since money isn't really an issue this is the best idea.

if you buy a decent crate and don't hop it up too much you'll be fine for a while though.

>2.0L mustang
wow thats pretty gay OP. Even shittier than a V6. Enjoy having the least powerful mustang in the world and the shit handling of an early muscle car.

It is because it has a taller deck by .475 inches. All in all its like 2.5 inches wider and 2 inches taller. Uses all the same parts (different crank throw and rods) because the bore is the same but you have to use a different intake and distributor

You are right Kit, forgot that between SBC and LS was the LT Vortec. Still, it was so close to a SBC, its hard to call it a different generation for me.

I'd love to make a long rod 331 out of a 4-bolt 351

this is true. the only difference is that awful optispark and head design and tpi. I truly don't know what the benefit of a gen 2 would be unless you were doing a period 90s build.

>muscle car
Lol
Also I want a 302 for more room in the bay. More room in the bay means more room for me to move around in there. I want to actually be able to work on the thing if I need to.

I would still rather work with this than any new car

And even then, if this was the 90s, id slap Vortec heads on a SBC and be done with it. Fuck the old TBI carb over that all day.

Keep in mind op, the 302 is only giving you an extra inch or two on each side, and if you go with the mustang ii front end the shock towers and humps are completely gone

MII front ends suck. The cars actually handle better with modified original style suspensions.