What US states have the best car culture?

oi m80s, blog post incoming. Sorry in advance.
>studying economics in Germany
>planning to do exchange semester in the US from August '17 - February '18
>while I'm there I'd like to rent a small garage I can live and store a car in, something used, fast and cheap (Crown Vic, Mustang for example but can be every fucking other car that fits these criterias)
>to be able to afford rent and car/living expenses I want to work as a car mechanic, don't care if illegal or not - I have enough knowledge not to fuck shit up
>BUT I need to go to certain colleges my university is partners with, which are:

>Allegheny College, Meadville, and Duquesne University, Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
>Ole' Miss, Oxford, Mississippi
>NYU, New York
>UOM, Minneapolis, Minnesota
>Duke University, Durham, North Carolina
>UOA, Tucson, Arizona
>Indiana University, Bloomington, Indiana

so which one of these states offers the best car culture? And by that I mean quality of roads, car scene, cheap cars, cheap gas and possibility of speed traps/cops raping me when I go 0.0000002 miles to fast.
>help me live the dream, br/o/thers. Pic very related.

Other urls found in this thread:

telegram.me/joinchat/B0DbXgMFhPg9FBP5RQy6Jw
time.com/money/3984379/apex-north-carolina-best-places-to-live-2015-2/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Indiana will have the lowest cost of living in that group.

Arizona. Least rust, dry climate, based republican government and. Living lifestyle.

First, eliminate states with snow. Snow, and the salt that comes with it on the roads, sucks for vehicles. It also means certain cars are less usable during the winter months. No Midwest and no New England.

Next, eliminate shitty anti-fun states like California.

That leaves you with the southwestern and southern states basically.

How's the car scene there?

I couldn't give a shit about rust. After the 6 months I want to sell the car again, don't care if the thing falls apart by then.

Good point. Haven't thought about the weather. Does it rain a lot in said states?

Arizona and North Carolina will have the most rust-free cars

The weather in Arizona should be nice that time of year, besides august where it will be really hot. They have some mountains so they could be a nice touge too. I'd look into duke too, Its the most prestigious out of all the universities you listed. If your into sports they both have great basketball programs too

>does it rain a lot in said states

Not in the southwest, its a desert. The south does get a moderate amount of rain, its a lot more humid too

>August '17 - February '18
well you'd probably only catch a little snow in ny, and you can definitely find a cheap crown vic. if you can actually wrench you could probably find a job. living isn't cheap though. definitely the most fun city on that list.

Stay away from Indiana, it's a shit state that has literally nothing going for it besides Indy

>jew york city
>driving is illegal
>processed foods are illegal
>carbonated beverages are illegal
>gas costs $37/gal
>literally cannot drive anywhere
>forced to take public transportation to get around town
>std capital of the world
>literally the most obnoxious narcissistic assholes on the face of the earth
>fun

Duke is rated as one of the top 10 universities in the country. You'd be a moron not to use that opportunity. Plus North Carolina is a decent place.

Meh, I only care about cars, money, girls and niche sports. Shit like climbing, rallye, parkour...

NY is actually my least favourite choice. I don't know if I could survive being stuck in rush hour traffic for six months.

Got it.

But what's the weather like during winter months? I'd rather not be stuck with an RWD sports coupe in five feet of snow

as someone who actual lives there

>driving is not illegal, racing is extremely common. We have some of the most difficult parkways to race on without dying here
>we don't have trans fats, big fucking deal
>we have soda out the wazoo, one of our mayors tried to ban extremely large sizes to cut down on obesity, didn't work at all.
>gas is like $2.50, don't get gas in Manhattan unless you absolutely have to
>don't live in Manhattan, it's awful and cramped
>don't take plublic transportation unless you have or are going to Manhattan
>i have no idea, i'm sure there are worse places with higher STD rates
>yeah true, fuck you mate get on my level you lame ass cunt
>maaaad fun, you just aren't doing it right, ya shitter

Literally look up Durham on Wikipedia and look at the climate section. Freezing at night only with 10°C daytime highs and 17cm of snow during the entire winter.

>take public transport
>go out to long island/ct/jersey/upstate to drive
it's not like commuting anywhere is fun

As a German, OP will want Arizona. Deserts attract Germans like moths to a flame.

For the car, it really should be a Mustang. He wants an immersive American experience and the car needs to be part of that.

As for car culture, I'm not aware of any in Tuscon (there's gotta be something though) but Phoenix is right there and there's always shit going on. Plus he can make a weekend trip to SoCal from there and say he did it.

Texas

>easy laws
>lots of open space if you want to drag race
>several tracks located around the larger cities
>imports/muscle/exotics everywhere
>shit loads of car shows and events from all genres of autosport

>jew yorker
>feeling like he can talk down to ANYONE ELSE
why hasn't your shitstain of a state sunk into the atlantic yet

lol typical flyover state faggot. No one cares about your opinion.

Texas isn't an option you illiterate moron. Go back on your oil field.

>What US states have the best car culture

Not my fault you can only move to shitty states.

Also

>many areas lack traffic cameras
>cars are cheap as hell
>based cops (I've raced a cop in Tomball)
>low insurance rates
>I'm seconding you on the car scene, it's 10/10
>country roads
>variety of climates and landscapes
>republican government=lack of emission restrictions

The only two big problems are rust (in the southeast) and road rage, and that there's areas where you'll be surrounded by rednecks and "gangstas" at the same time.

>what's the best fruit
>FRIES
>fries aren't a fruit
>NOT MY FAULT YOU CAN ONLY EAT FRUITS YA MORON HURR DURR DERP

Actually it would be more like

>What's the best fruit
>Apples
>Apples don't count, I fucking hate apples

>flyover state

You say that as if you want shitty tourists everywhere. Now go do your taxes, goy. Enjoy losing half your income to cost of existence.

Actually it would be more like

>what's the best fruit out of this selection
>APPLES
>apples aren't included in the selection
>NOT MY FAULT YOUR SELECTION IS SO SHITTY YA MORON HURR DURR DERP

>selection
Actually, OPS title would be incorrect then.

He says, what is the best state, Not What is the best state out of this selected group.

Are you done shit posting German? You are as bad as Australians.

as a german living in the US, I would recommend Duke in NC.
UOA might be good too but personally I prefer forests and green over the desert because it reminds me of the Vaterland.
winters don't get that bad in NC as far as I know, it snows very rarely I believe.
cost of living is decent, weather is on the nicer side, and Duke is a good school too.

You know, any rational person would read the entire post and not just the headline, and realize that he DID write about his limitations.

Yes, but that was answered to his title. Not his shitty limitations.

Texas is the correct answer for best car scene state.

And I correct my insult, you're not an illiterate moron, you're simple an ignorant moron.

>you ignorant
Not my fault you think Arizona has a car scene.

Have you missed your naptime or why are you so stubborn and grumpy today?

shut the fuck up you fucking moron teenagers, take your keyboard fight elsewhere.

My vote is for Arizona. There's a pretty active car scene there, including one of the world's biggest classic car auctions in Scottsdale if you're into that kind of thing. There are actually hills and twisty roads to drive. The weather is hot, but otherwise pretty good. It's gorgeous as fuck out there. If you're in Tucson you get to see cool fighter planes flying around all the time. Rent is cheap in AZ.

You're also only 6 hours from Vegas and 8 hours from LA in Tuscon.

>>Allegheny College, Meadville, and Duquesne University, Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
Ah, Pittsburgh. The mecca of car culture in the US. LOL
>>Ole' Miss, Oxford, Mississippi
It's the South
>>NYU, New York
Eh, New York. Everybody does that. The city itself is a cesspool btw and everywhere else in the state is rural flyover country
>>UOM, Minneapolis, Minnesota
Snow. Lots of it. Like 2 months of good weather
>>Duke University, Durham, North Carolina
Raleigh-Durham is well into being a basketball-american shithole
>>UOA, Tucson, Arizona
Hot. No particular reputation though. Did I mention hot?
>>Indiana University, Bloomington, Indiana
Moscow on Lake Monroe. No car scene to speak of, though boomer car shows abound in the midwest through the summer. Winter isn't terrible but isn't great either. Some good roads in the southern part of the state and into northern Kentucky.

Trying to sleep in a small garage or spending most of your time there isn't a good idea because most garage owners would not allow it.

My understanding is that police in the deep south (including Mississippi) and New York City are intrusive and should be avoided. I don't know from experience. New York (the tri state) probably has the best scene due to it's size.

Minneapolis is far from any twisties, arizona seems like it would be good, research that. Pittsburgh is surrounded by rugged terrain. New York City is surrounded by many miles of urban sprawl. It might take you a long time to get to "the spot", and you might not be able to pay rent and living expenses because it's expensive there (NYC) and uncertified mechanics are everywhere in the USA. You can post an ad on craigslist services-automotive.

The regional variations in the price of gas and used cars are insignificant.

Pennsylvania is your best option if you like snow.

North Carolina or Indiana could be good.

Forget the renting a garage idea. You are going to need an apartment or roommates or something.

Relax. It's true that my title is misleading but since this is something that actually concerns my life and personal future I wanted to attract as many answers as possible. It's not a shitpost though.

Lmao, never been to a desert. And for the Mustang part.. I just want it to be decently fast, ease to wrench on, and RWD.

I'm living for twisty mountain roads. Need to look at North Carolina pictures I guess.

It seems like most of the posters in this thread favour NC and AZ. I'll definitely look into that. What about PA? I think Alleghey is the easiest to get into, of all of them

I have been to KY for abt a month four years ago, so I'm not that new to American culture - It's what made me want to live there for a certain time. Stayed about 40 miles south of Cincinnati, the countryside wasn't that different from where I live.

I'd say north Carolina NASCAR is huge there and so is anything rwd with a v8.
The state has mountains decent roads and a nice beach. It is also one of the cheapest states to live in

I wouldn't get a rustang get a early 90s camaro much easier to work on and cheaper

PLease for the love of god avoid Minnesota. We have shit roads, and our only "culture" is brotrucks and stancefags (why they exist here I don't know).

This was actually quite informative, thanks! What do you mean by rugged terrain, though? And you really sure I'm gonna have to bury the garage idea? I'd love to sleep at the same place where I can wrench, my standards are low lol. And for the snow part... I do like it, yes, but considering how I want to spend my time there I'd prefer not having snow all the time.

You might be able to rent a garage apartment from someone but they would be extremely hard to find. Your best bet is managing a storage center I knew a guy who lived in one with his gf that was the manager and worked on cars in one of the units

Rugged terrain as in the roads are absolutely shit a lot of PA is like that, but I would say that is the only other downside is finding a nice car that isn't expensive as shit

Duke or Arizona out of all your choices. NYU is not going to work out unless you want to pay $3-400 a month for a garage in a outer borough. And there's no fun roads unless you go at least a hour or more away to Northwestern New Jersey or the Lower Hudson Valley. Our nearest circuits are 2 hours away and are fairly expensive to run on, and it sucks to drive in the winter (too cold + salt everywhere). We only have a car culture from the sheer amount of people here in such a relatively small area, but in NYU you're going to avoid most of it and instead you'll be surrounded by Asians and insufferable hipsters/SJW millennial trust fund kids in downtown Manhattan. Tons of bars and cheap weed though, but nowhere to work on or own a car.

California has the best car culture out of any state. It's indisputable. It's where a shitton of OEM manufacturers and aftermarket companies have their home bases, canyons 20-30 mins away and actual tooj racing since the 1950s, 3-4 circuits within a hour or less with cheap open lap days every weekend, no rust with constant warm sunny dry temperatures year-round, legal lanesplitting if you're into bikes, etc.

The only bad thing is CARB, but big deal. They have so many cars in such good shape they have to find a way to weed them out and get rid of them somehow.

Unfortunately the other problem with california is californians. But yeah, for roads and shit I agree.

New York - NYU is in lower Manhattan, and a lousy place to own a car unless you are wealthy enough to afford a parking garage space. Zero car culture aside from posers parking Ferraris and Teslas in front of trendoid taverns.

North Carolina - Duke is an easy drive to Charlotte speedway for your turn-left-and-accelerate NASCAR fun, and a nice drive to Virginia International Raceway, one of the nicer twisty tracks in the US.

Duke it's only 4 hrs to the outer banks for the warm months and less then that to the mountain roads

holy fucking shit is this heavy retardardation for real?

>tumbler
Irony

Indiana has cheap cars, cheap gas, and an awesome car culture. Also you have the advantage of living on IU which is where I go, nice campus and cool people, the biggest area for cars is the "Southside Meet" but most people here call it RPM, however, roads are gonna be shitty

I go to school at Duke. The roads in Durham near the lake called Falls Lake are absolutely amazing. If you want to meet up with me and my moon crew let me know. It's really a great place to be.

I think we only had snow for 3 or 4 months this year in the twin cities (mn). Either way, the roads are mainly shit here but there is some okay driving in Wisconsin and the Mississippi area. The u is a pretty good school but I'd say pass on MN.

Yeah, minnesota being covered in snow is a meme, we get 3-5 months of winter tops.

Nice, you got kik?

Fwd?

>Literally grew up in Durham.

Haven't been back in a few years but:
>Car culture: 6/10. Lot of trucks, lot of rice. Capital Blvd in Raleigh gets action late at night.
>The main sport is 1/8th and 1/4 mile drag races.
>You're 2 hours from Virginia International Raceway, a nice circuit, cause you're European.
>Probably could get a job, people hire illegal Mexicans all the time.
>Average to below average living expenses
>Duke is awesome, well worth it.
>You're 3-4 hours from Tennessee, the blue ridge mountains and stuff like the Tail of the Dragon.
>Charlotte/kannapolis is the motorsports headquarters. Haas F1, 80% of NASCAR Teams and a few IndyCar teams all call this area home (3 hour drive)
>Doesn't snow much, but occasional icing can make RWD annoying for a day or two.

Overall an 8/10. There is really crappy public transportation, and we don't exactly accommodate bikes very well. Plan on buying a car.

OP if you want a fun cheap v8 in america there is only one choice.
Foxbody 5.0.
Camaro's with 350 v8s 99 times out of 100 have a auto trans.
P71s are slower than shit.

Get a 87 to 93 fox with a 5.0. Make its a notch back because it wieghs 2700 pounds.
Make sure it has a 5 speed and if you can get it with a five lug axle those tend to have lsds.

Pic semi related a older notch back

Pennsylvania is hilly. The roads have many twists and turns and they go up and down hills.

Many garages that I see on craigslist are advertised as storage. You can call the owner or landlord to ask if they are ok with your intended use of working on your car. I think many of them will deny you. If you keep the door down and you aren't in and out very often you can get away with working on your car in any garage. Some garages may not have electric outlets. Sleeping in the garage... you might be able to get away with it if you sneak. Do not ask any landlord if you can use their garage for sleeping or commercial purpose (working on others cars). Not one landlord or house owner will agree to this.

Working on other's cars for pay: don't use your garage unless it's necessary because the landlord or his house tenants will not want to see you in and out all the time. Take your tools to the clients house. Or maybe you can find work in a repair shop. I don't know about the business. I would research this topic, or save up before you leave so that you don't need to work in the usa.

My advice to you is to make car friends who will let you use their driveway or at least point you in the right direction.

If you got a 6 month lease apartment with a garage you would need to be grinding hard to pay your rent + studying. My advice if you are poor is to get in the dorms, and try your luck working on cars outside, the garage thing... make something work. Maybe quit considering Pennsylvania, New York, Minnesota, and Indiana because they will be freezing cold after October. Study craigslist.org to get an idea of what you can make work. apts/housing, parking/storage, rooms/shared, sublets/temporary, cars+trucks, services: automotive, and jobs, but you might have better luck walking into scrappy looking repair shops and asking if they could use your skill, since you are are not legally employable.

Charlotte, NC area is pure car culture.
half the dealers are owned by big time drivers, manuals are common. fun mountain roads on the west border. all unmarked roads default to 55MPH.

I live next to Minneapolis. You dont want a rwd as your only car if you live here. Although with the train and the buses you might make it work but why bother?

Yo, current Concord NC resident here.
From my experience we almost never get snow but if we do it's like once a year.
The roads are nice and I usually don't see many cops.

As far as car culture goes, you can head up to uptown Charlotte 20 minutes away and you're in a instant car culture hotspot

Touges, you can go up to Boone (my favorite) and do runs around that area and yes the speed limits default to 55mph which means PLENTY of legal fun.

Weather is very average and balanced. Almost never too deathly hot and almost never too cold. Very easy to handle.
Gas and living is fairly cheap compared to other states and buying a car is okay. The local Craigslist is meh but you can find a mint condition VR4 for $5k and an Ae86 sr5 for $3k

Tl;dr NC is balanced and fair with everything. Kinda boring state itself but there's literally nothing wrong

The car scene there is just Mexicans and rich white kids though. Fuck I hated living in Arizona.

Michigan. Just stay far away from Jefferson Ave. After 8:00pm. Shit gets dangerous real quick

arizona has the best roads by far and will probably have the best car culture too still probably not a great one

arizona also has the sluttiest college girls

You have to consider the roads, too. The weather might be shit in Minnesota, but they'd have the best driving experience out of all of the states listed.

North Carolina bruh. If you go to Duke and we can be neighbors. The car market is great here, you have all types of roads, almost no winter, and great car culture

>roads
>thinking Minnesota would have better driving roads than North Carolina

It's like you don't know that the appalachian mountains exist

>Minnesota roads
>good
We have nothing but grid roads pretty much.

All the NCbro's on Veeky Forums need to do a trip to the Dragon's Tail at some point

the survey thread had that question up, lots of people say "do it"

Impossbul. You'd drive into a lake.

>Does it rain a lot in said states?
come to washington state
it rained literally 3 times last summer

Concord resident reporting in

Have been to dragons tail also. Can confirm dankness

N O R T H C A R O L I N A

O

R

T

H

C

A

R

O

L

I

N

A
I'm moving there next semester too so I can be closer to the turn left hub and hopefully get an internship as an engineer. I'll go ahead and get the WAT racing decals and shirts ready for you user so we can track day together and everyone will know we are a real racing team.

Wifi cut out so I accidentally double posted and deleted my first one. Yeah I'd be down, how strict are NC police? Like if I was driving an unregistered "race" car on public roads how fucked would I be?

We make the grid squares large enough to go around the lakes.

Depends on where you are man. Around here in Raleigh/Durham, you'd be fine so long as they don't catch you doing something stupid like 100 in a 55. Friend of mine drives his spec Miata round all the time and never has problems

If you get out into the country, some local cops might hassle you, but that's an easy enough thing to avoid

Southern California. Anyone who tells you otherwise is a flyover state dumbfuck.

Duke dude its the best academically by far

KEK, own 3 cars and live in rural western NC with some god tier roads. Also my county doesn't do emissions testing so I modded my 5.0 with no fucks given.

Muh Dragons tale is full of idiots and biker fags (mostly pig fat Harley's) so I do not recommend it. Rather find another road similar. There a road between franklin and callow he that's based as fuck.

This is as based as it gets.

Between franklin and cullowhee

I always just say "tail of the dragon" but mean the dozens of good roads nearby that aren't swamped

Right, I'm just talking about taking it out to meet up if that ever happened. I have a daily that I can be an upstanding citizen with.

most NC roads are dangerous enough that you won't want to do anything way over the 55 limit anyway. the hills make for lots of blind crests, many roads have diches instead of shoulders that can eat cars whole.

Nice to know, it would still be more fun to cruise out with my subie instead of the daily. I'm coming to NC from Texas so I have no idea how to make a turn on a public road anyway.

Lol that's how I flipped my mustang. One if those god damn ditches got me. I love these WNC roads but they are not forgiving...

Do IU! I grew up in Bloomington, it's great!
I could also help with apartment searching if you want. Also a couple good hidden driving roads near there.

We really need a NC meetup. I'm just getting settled here after moving and the roads are taunting me while I borrow my dad's FJ Cruiser. I'm hunting for fun cars in the 5k range but nothing definite yet.

OP, don't listen to this guy. He clearly has only ever been to Indy, and Bloomington is much better culturally. It has one of the best restaurant scenes in the Midwest, barring Chicago, and IU is a great university. The amount of arts/cultural events/general things to do you get there is better than most larger metro areas.
But the rest of Indiana does suck dicks.

>poor
>dorms
>cheaper
Whut.
Dorms are never cheaper these days. I can only speak for Bloomington and Oxford, but apartments are much much much cheaper than dorms. Dorms are a total rip-off.

hooked a tire while cornering?
a friend of mine flipped their 300 doing that

Nothing you listed has a good car scene except maybe NC.

And picking a college based on cars is retarded. you're going to move after college anyway.

OP, you should pull up campus maps and take a look a the university sizes and where their student parking lots are located. Back when I went to the Univ of Aridzona (tucson), the administration sold approx three times as many parking permits as there were spaces available. That was because not everyone with a parking permit will be parking on campus with their car that day ON AVERAGE. But there could be spikes in driving where everyone with a permit wants to park and thus parking can be hard to get.

In my opinion, you pick a university first for education. Second for extracurricular life related to being a student such as getting a part time job or places to have fun with other students. That also includes campus activities and student organizations. Third would be that car culture objective.

Use google maps to "drive" the various roads. You will find Tucson to have mostly gridlike straight roads. It's campus is quite expansive. As far as I can remember, there aren't any affordable houses near the univ with enclosed garage with suppficient workspace to the sides you can rent.

(And everyone else I forgot to tag)

OP here. I'm overwhelmed by how many replies this got and how many of these were actually helpful. Maybe this board isn't so shit after all. So the majority of votes go for North Carolina/Duke and Arizona/UOA, I will definitely look into them first. Regarding the car it's gonna be a V8 Mustang foxbody. Living in a garage is gonna be hard regardless of the state I choose so I need to look for dorms, appartments or friends with garages. Work is not hard to find. Any AZ/NC buddys willing to stay in contact with me if I have further questions?

telegram.me/joinchat/B0DbXgMFhPg9FBP5RQy6Jw

I've got a telegram group link. Telegram is a pretty good and reliable app btw, highly recommended.
You and the rest of Veeky Forums will be welcome to join since it is an Veeky Forums based chat. Bonus points for NC bros

Just a heads up a Foxbody might be hard to get. They're getting old, rare, and expensive. They're collectors cars nowadays.

Try to keep a eye out for a 3rd Gen IROC-Z or 4th Gen Z28 6 speed Camaro. Those are still fairly reasonably priced. I already put my vote in for Duke/NC.

I've lived in NC for most of my life (since 1996) and own a 240sx. The street scene isn't as awesome as it was before the economy took a dump (the whole country not just NC) but it's still there. If you join one of the car club groups you can know when the real fast cars are going to capital blvd that night.

Virginia International Raceway is only a 1hr drive from Wake County NC.

www.virnow.com

Duke is a great school, but you have other options that have the same quality/prestige like NC State University.

I live in Apex NC, and just last year it was rated #1 place to live in America. Video in the link below gives a good idea what to expect:

time.com/money/3984379/apex-north-carolina-best-places-to-live-2015-2/

NC is filled with friendly Southern Folk with great food. Carolina BBQ FTW.

Gun laws are awesome here, during Obama's attempt to get a ban going all the politicians here backed the 2nd amendment 100%.

Wake County NC is the place to be. I've lived in several other states during my life, and NC is the cleanest, best roads, low crime, low-ish taxes, and somewhat reasonable house pricing (Apex NC is getting kinda expensive due to everyone saying its THE place to live tho)

If you want to live with friendly helpful people, come to NC.

New York transplant in Pittsburgh here.

Car scene here is okay. We have meets downtown in a parking garage near pnc park that's pretty good. Everyone comes out of the woodwork for that. Rich guys stay over in wexford for cars and coffee. Never been but I've heard either it's a bunch of assholes or okay as far as people. There's a few crews running meets a half hour outside the city and we do have a track over at pitt race. Only thing you have to deal with here is snow and lots of hills. Like all of them.