Veeky Forums feels

Don't you sometimes have that urge to just pick up your keys and drive through the night?
No traffic, no speed limits to obey, nobody to bother you.
Especially after a very bad day. It's somewhat releasing.

If you feel the need to do that you're depressed and need to talk to your doctor or go to a depression discussion group

Or he could drive.

To the depression discussion group.

>Don't you sometimes have that urge to just pick up your keys and drive through the night?
All the time.

>tfw no car

unless you own something like a miata or other fun sports car then you just have a mental disorder

Maybe I am. Point is, driving is almost therapeutic.
It's only you and machine, as one.

Man, don't come here to start shit. You can have fun on whatever car you drive.
And it's not about having fun. It's about feeling at ease, secluded for just some brief moments.

>Miata end all and be all of fun
Lol go fuck your faggot 1.6L right in the intake

All the time user, I'll either go or a drive thru the country side close to my house or go downtown and skate the empty streets. Very peaceful and actually relieves a lot of tension

>Very peaceful and actually relieves a lot of tension
Yep, it's exactly like that.

Yes, i live like 15mins away from the nearest mountain. I go every other week at least once to drive and clear my mind. Last time i saw a deer and i drove behind it for a good 10mins, until. I just passed it.

Shame I don't have a mountain near me.
Sometimes I just put on something Above & Beyond and head to the city. It's amazing how such a big city can be so quiet and deserted in the middle of the night. It's so peaceful.

>something
*some

Yep. Been actually meaning to go on one since I just bought a car.

It's nice to just sit and listen to some music and hear the calmness of the road and driving. No stops. Tonight I took the long way to Wendy's and got lost. Felt nice driving down streets that I'm not familiar with.

However, that's just neighborhood driving. I feel like comfy cruising on the highway would be much better. Nice long straight drive

I do this pretty much every night. No friends/girlfriend so it's pretty much all I have. Need a change in my life, cause driving around like an autist in a track prepped weeb car is a little pathetic.

I wish I could do that
> tfw there's literally traffic 24/7 in my city

Yeah I like that feeling too.

I feel kinda conflicted though. Its nice to just drive around the country side listening to some music and cruising, just driving to drive. but wasting all that 89 octane just to go nowhere in particular nags at me after I am done.

>no car
>lurking Veeky Forums

That must be painful.

>Don't you sometimes have that urge to just pick up your keys and drive through the night?

>Drunks
>Cops parked out eveywhere
>Deer

No thanks

Not a waste if you enjoy yourself. Assuming of course your not some poorfag that can't even buy something as cheap as gas

that's what we get for living in Los Angeles
there are also cops, homeless people, drug addicts, niggers etc out at night. It sucks cause I work nights so I'm up all night on my nights off with nothing to do and nowhere to go

>something as cheap as gas
I am not poor, but gas isn't that cheap...

You have no idea

I spend hours window shopping on craigslist and autotrader and watching videos of people in cars.

I borrow a friend's car to drive any chance I get. I offer to cheuffeur people around or DD just to drive more.

so your not only poor but also a liar? It's alright to be poor user, no need to lie about it

What? There's no traffic in LA in the middle of the night the freeways are almost completely empty.

While I don't live anywhere near any city as big as LA the ones around me are pretty fucking dead at night too. It's actually quite enjoyable to drive around a city of 500k with absolutely no traffic, especially when I usually avoid the cities like the plague

>no speed limits to obey

Yeah nah our traffic cops pretty much only come out at night just to keep people from fundriving, and the state troopers camp on the highway at night to make sure nobody breaks 70.

The traffic in LA is blown out of proportion.
Go to Tulsa, OK and sit on the expressway at 6pm. It's exactly the same as the 405, just 6 lanes skinnier.
People always over hype shit.

I do this on my motorcycle multiple times a week. Easily the best way I've ever known to relax.

Used to have really bad anxiety. Just baseline, I would be on the verge of panic. The littlest, dumbest shit would set me off. Any little thing went wrong and I spent the rest of the day blaming myself.

I don't do that anymore. Motorcycles are cheaper than therapy.

no

my only driving car is a slow as fuck lifted 4x4 pickup with massive sidewall tires that wallow like a motherfucker around every turn and cant lock up the brakes even in the rain

feels bad man

What part of town do you live in? 1am the streets are pretty empty, if you go to the valley you're gold just to drive.

Honestly couldn't even begin to imagine it. The heaviest traffic I've seen is on the 401 in Toronto where I've been in stop and go traffic up to 3 hours or so. I very rarely go near Toronto and for the most part am only around cities with 20-30k. really the worst traffic I get on a daily basis is having to wait at a traffic light for two cycles. Heavy traffic in large cities like that is just so rare for me it's really out of my comfort zone

Yes.

No rushing, no road raging, nowhere to go, nowhere to be.

Just you and your car.

>want to get away from my shitty life and just go out driving
>remember i am stuck with a sub 1 litre diesel shitbox
>kill myself

>worked second shift
>3pm to 11:30pm
>literally got to drive at night traffic free everyday
>had to quit job because drama
>now working 7am-3:30pm
>traffic is now a clusterfuck
>have to be asleep before 10pm everyday

Swing shift best shift

VA?

>Be me
>a year ago
>decide to close my restaurant in a week after 3 years being open
>grab six pack of tallboys from fridge, throw in cooler with some ice
>close up for the night and get in car
>drive for 4 hours to the beach starting at 130am
>get to beach
>sit in the sand and slowly drink 6 pack until the sun comes up
>pass out in back seat and sleep for hours

not my best moment

did this last night in my shitbox, got lost as fuck after a road i usually take was lost and ended up in another city. bretty nice, but i always felt like there was a cop just waiting to pull me over for going over the speed limit on a backroad. like that one asshole of a cop that is there specifically to pull people over at 3 am when they think there's no cops out or on that road.

totally worth it though

That sounds good, actually.

Driving doesn't have enough peak happy stimulus to offset the unhappy feeling nor does it have a strong distraction ability. Both peak happy and strong distraction are a good pair of factors in overcoming an unhappy spike. Driving is like a low key pleasant feeling, but I would not try to make happy spikes by driving fast on a winding road because doing so while depressed, drunk, high, or overly angry will increase the risk of an accident.

I find it better to drive a little bit and find someplace new to eat a light meal or do something different if the attraction is still open. I might then go to the bookstore and see if there is an interesting book to look over so it's too bad there is only Barnes&Noble which closes at 10pm. I'll go home and watch a movie or more likely an anime to be distracted while thinking about what I need to do better in the coming next day.

>skate the empty streets.
Unfortunately, the minorities wander the streets late at night here. If they haven't gotten their loot earlier, they are now more desperate to get something before they catch the last bus out of our area to go back to their barrio or old town.

Anybody else cruisin the streets in the mid Missouri area, downtown jeff city is so peaceful at night

I wish I made enough money to just go take a drive

>tfw the quiet of the night lets you hear a new noise your car is making and now you don't enjoy the drive because you can't stop listening to it.

are you a transplant?

>get on bike
>head on freeway
>redline sixth
>merrily cruise home
Met a guy on a yellow Pontiac with dark purple inner lights

The common theme here is that we drive aimlessly as some form of escapism.

The reason we all like driving so much is because it's the only place in our lives where we are in control.

I bought one of those plate flippers for 300$
Being able to drive wrecklessly with no care whatsoever one moment then driving normally the next is amazing.
I have a simple enough manual 3g eclipse with a decent 190whp turbo'd 4g64 and its just nice opening up on the highway doing 120+, then dipping off and ducking in a parking lot, flip the plates, and drive off as if nothing happened

>not my best moment
Sounds comfy as a motherfucker. Sorry about your business though bro.

G-guys...I-i-i drive...?

I go on random drives al the time. The same route every time. This one Street light would go out when I drove right under it. It felt like the streets knew I was there.

Really looks like something out of Drive desu

Just hit the highway man, get out of the city for a bit.

I've been depressed 5 years. Talked to doctors for 4 and on anti depressants. Only my car takes the pain away.

>summer is here again
>drive down PCH with the windows down
>Van Halen playing on the cassette player
There's literally no feel like driving. I think I've never been happier than when I first bought a car.

>do you go on random drives
>posted on an automotive enthusiast board
what the fuck do you think. of course everyone here goes on random drives.

This. There's something magical about driving through a summer night.

Night drives are better than sex.

I did a couple week drive up the PCH a few years ago when the weather was nice enough to drive with the windows down and it was amazing.

It's been really bad recently.
For the past few weeks I've snuck out for a drive every other night.
Around 2am is the most /comfy/ time, just me and the mountain or me and the empty city streets.
It's so relaxing, and nice to just cruise, but I'm going through petrol like a motherfucker and messing my sleep schedule so I'll have to cut it down to once a week or less.

Feels sublime, right?

>feeling like the only car on the road
>the world around you is sound asleep
>you can hear the buzzing of street lights and shop signs when at red lights
>windows down with a cool night air
>a warm cup of coffee to sip on
>chain smoking like a motherfucker

But I do hate normal night driving because other headlights just blind me. I don't know if I'm just sensitive to it or what but it seems like everyone uses high beams even in the goddam city. It sets me on edge and quickly puts me in a foul mood.

I do it weekly.

>tfw LS400 with numb handling

At least its fast and MAXIMUM comfy.