Considering a used VW Bug for a student car

Considering a used VW Bug for a student car.

Do these cars hold up with high mileage?

mexican built ones are trash

Alh tdi or 1.8t in manuel. Any others are trash.

they're pretty good, but make sure you get the 1.8T in manual.

>implying not all vw's sold in the US were assembled in mexico

Seen a bunch of turbos get destroyed on them.
But I don't know if that's because of shitty manufacturing or shitty owner.

shut up and buy a civic

>used german car
>good
The only reason people sell them is because the maintenance is getting too expensive to keep the car together

Golfs were German made for a little while

Just don't get an auto and it might be good. The 2.0 in my MkIV Jetta was tough as fuck but the auto trans was trash. Stopped shifting into fourth gear so highways were torture at 5000 RPM. Never figured it out so I sold it to a Mexican.

The Beetle is a just re-skinned Golf, anything that applies to the Golf also applies to the Beetle.

New beetles are shit tier. Get a Mazda 3 MPS instead.

I can tell you from the multitude of ones that we have taken on trade, the interiors don't hold up for shit. I've actually seen 5-6 where the headliner has completely fallen off. Mechanically, they're about on par with everything else VW makes from what I have seen.

didn't these have serious corrosion problems?

OP Here - great info - I must reconsider this decision. Please keep the advise / suggestions coming.

What's your actual budget OP? And where are you located?

post your local craigslist and budget

NoCa, Bay Area

Budget motherfucker. What is it.

I have one, high mileage at 150,000 miles 5 speed 2.slow. The interior is shit i hate the soft touch plastic they use it's shitty because its peeling. The engine burns bit of oil but otherwise it's fine. Unfortunately the belt tensioner failed and I had to get all exhaust valves replaced. I replaced 1 lower control arm bushing. Once every blue moon I unlock the car but the alarm doesn't go off. Cel is on for secondary air injection pump even though i bought a new one, I just gave up lol. Other then that it's a great comfy highway cruiser. Would I recommend it? Probably if you're mechanically inclined but those issues have annoyed me even though it's a16 year old car. You should only get the manual though they're significantly more reliable. Ask away if you have questions

Pretty much garbage.

Abused and neglected by their owners.

Gutless, ugly, unreliable.

Get a 4 banger ranger

I had the same problem with the alarm in my 2000 Jetta. I eventually just stopped using it.

Op, if you ever want to see how far you can neglect a golf, look at a new beetle. All the ones I see come into our dealer shop are owned by dumb bitches who only repair things when it stops driving or it irritates them, like window regulators like to fail and fall off their track. Also, since it has the fuckhuge dash to make it feel like a civic, doing anything in the engine bay is like working on a van, 4x the work with all the little space there is, making something like changing a battery or air filter a real big pain in the ass. Add that headlights require juggling tools to get it out of the bucket, which will eventually break and cost you $300 to replace.

Unless it's an original air cooled bug, fuck beetles, not worth your time, just get a golf or jetta

Op, all of these are reasons to get a TDI. Because then at least you're getting great mpg to go with your inconveniences.

Are you an enthusiast? Can you wrench? Do you want something interesting or a boring corolla or civic?

To change the headlights you need to remove the motor to get access.

>Add in the labor cost's and....

>get your headlights and your headgasket done at the same time

>sister owns beetle
>replacing brake pads and bleeding brakes
>go to pour more fluid in
>mfw

Of course they would make it so you can only fit a fucking 8 oz bottle down there, and I just happened to have the 1 liter bottle.