>mfw saving 30 cents per gallon while getting the same performance

>6.6:1
>wont ping even when its 115* running shitty mexican pump gas

>on reserve
>decide to put 1/4 tank of regular
>get CEL
>car rattling

thanks, audi.

Acura tells me to use premium for my 10:6:1 150hp 2.0L...

>calls for premium
>put ethanol free 89 in it instead.

sounds deep and throaty, its been two and a half weeks since i fueled up, turbo spools faster, bov considerably louder, warms up quicker, idles lower. God damn space magic.

>honda xl 175
>manual says use premium

still only costs $7 to fill

and?

>sounds deep and throaty, its been two and a half weeks since i fueled up, turbo spools faster, bov considerably louder, warms up quicker, idles lower. God damn space magic.
yeah ok

I noticed for the first time today that my BP now has a sticker saying "NO ETHANOL" now on the premium pump. It's only that grade that has the sticker.

That's not how it works retard

>faggots putting premium in their shitboxes pretending it makes them faster
only thing premium is good for is a high compression or forced induction engine and even then it only prevents detonation
how deluded are you peopl

>Mazda "recommends" premium on the NB
>Almost as always put in regular

>there are cars sold today that don't require premium

cars ran 14:1 before they removed all the lead

pretty sure lead doesnt increase octane

pretty sure youre retarded

not only are you wrong, but you're an ugly grotesque freak

What? No they didn't. Even with leaded gasoline they still had high and low compression engines. America just had a shitton of high compression engines because every family's two-ton landbarge needed 300 horsepower to go the speed limit.

>lead increases octane
lol

The Cadillac 472? and that 500 somethingerother ran like 8:1 compression. All their big motors did.

>Requires electricity
>Accidentally fill up with quinoa

Tfw Americans refer to 91 as "premium". The lowest tier of gas we can get in my country is 95, that's regular over here. Premium has 98.

Different octane measurements and you know it.

Actually I didn't know that, but you're right. Thanks for letting me know.

>sounds deep and throaty

That's your engine knocking itself to pieces.

Enjoy your future engine swap

>put premium in my commodore
>feels like it's revving smoother, idling better, etc.
>probably just a placebo
Oh well, every couple of months or so I like to fill it with premium. Does it help with engine longevity (because of the additive), or is that a meme?

every octane rating thread ever for eternity

>borrowing mothers shit box nisan pulsar
>insists I only fill it with premium
>but the car says regular only
>YOU HAVE TO DO AS I SAY I KNOW BEST
>huge rant on how she knows better than the people that built the car
>mfw I fill up with regular every time

>Lead doesn't increase octane
>mfw

Veeky Forums in a nutshell

I'm talking well before that
just poppet valve things

Lead, or tetraethyl-lead?

>not knowing what an octane rating is
triple cuck

lead was used as a lubricant for valves and shit u knob shiners

Bullshit. Most lead-era cars have less than 10:1 compression and even among performance cars very few had a compression ratio higher than 11:1

Well they didn't just throw lead in petrol, it woudn't suspend in solution so it's fairly obvious which one it has to be.

>yurotards still not understanding that there are different octane ratings even though in literally every single thread like this someone explains it
European """"""""""""education"""""""""""" everyone

No. TEL was primarily an octane boosting additive, other things such as spark plug fouling and valve seat protection were tertiary effects.

No, it wasn't.

It was, and still is in certain applications where there isn't a feasible replacement, used as an octane booster in older, shittier petrol when they didn't have the scientific research to use other boosters or better refinement like we do today.

It was especially important in fighter aircraft in WW2 because they used Pistons and F.I and flew in low-oxygen atmosphere.

It had other uses too but that was the most important.

I really wanted one of those when I was a youngmans

At least use something better than the cheapest gas you tard

With things like Shell premium gas or something similar, it has supposedly 4x or so more detergents than the EPA standard. So, if you want, it might be good to do every once and a while to clean your fuel injectors, but not every fill up, as that's a huge waste.

>sounds deep and throaty,
While a slightly grumbling engine seems more powerful due to the increase in noise, the slight amount of predetonation is still not good. Sure, it's not like full-on predetonation that's infamously known as knocking, but the grumbling is still not good.

>its been two and a half weeks since i fueled up, turbo spools faster, bov considerably louder, warms up quicker, idles lower. God damn space magic.
A combination of personal perception and that there is a slight bit more energy in the lower octane fuel. But the knocking adds inefficiency. That space magic feels you have is similar to having Princess Diana pump the fuel into your gas tank. The car feels more responsive, handles better, and the turbo spools up faster to give faster pep.

What annoys me about octane rating is that ethanol has octane rating of 109, so adding it to gas raises its octane rating. That's why it's good that your local BP has a sticker on their premium saying it doesn't use more ethanol as the cheat to raise the octane rating of regular fuel to be labeled "premium".

>requires diesel
>accidentally fill up petrol

Yes I've actually done this

I only realised the next day when there was blue smoke coming out the exhaust, then I wasn't getting much power and the engine was lumpy.

Only £120 to pump it out though, could have been worse

>put premium in my nb for 6 months after purchase
>engine blows up

Same. Still runs good.

Oh look, a namefag being a dumbfuck. Surprise, surprise

>Only £120 to pump it out though
>this nigga is so dumb he couldn't even drain his own fuel tank

It could have been waaaaaay worse considering the damage gasoline does to the high pressure fuel pumps on diesels, like thousands of pounds worse

The combustion chamber is probably full of carbon, increasing the compression ratio and potential for hot spots, all leading to increased risk of knocking. He was probably using premium because it was knocking.

>miata nc requires premium
>run regular for commuting, put premium in on the weekends for fun

My car requires 91 or better. But can safely be run on regular. Just takes the performance aspect out of the performance car. Retards timing if I recall correctly. Did that once, ran it to empty and just didn't get on it during that tank.

Why don't more cars have the MR2's fuel selector switch?

I know Ferds like the Fiesta ST have knock sensors that dial back compression if you run regular.

How do you accidentally fill the entire tank with the wrong fuel?

I understand throwing a little by mistake but this is stupid.

Modern computers with knock sensors just dial back the advance until no more knocking is picked up, it may adjust the fueling richer as well to prevent detonation.
Also no, a car won't dial back compression as that's not an adjustable running parameter

Dump a can of octane booster in the tank and STFU

yet

youtube.com/watch?v=DdM2VbbdtB4

We'll I'll be.
But how far is that tech from being used commercially?
As of right now AFAIK c/r is pretty much fixed

Welp, time for Seafoam, I guess.

>work truck
>requires diesel
>fill with petrol
>engine fucks itself a week later
>£15,000 replacement
>say nothing

How fucking retarded are you? High compression engine requires very tight tolerances. Automakers couldn't produce engines with such a degree of precision back in the day especially americans.

>not sure if sarcasm or ignorance
>Fry.jpeg

10:1 and manual says 91. Didn't hear knocking using 87 but ecu might be reducing timing when it happens

Sealing it is the main issue right now, I highly doubt it will hit the commercial market anytime soon because muh turbos.

Adjustable boost and variable vanes killed this project.

>the automotive manufacturing process didn't change in the last 40 years

Americans.

How can compression be this low? I thought my 924 at 8 was low

>Any engine less than 4 liters requiring Premium.
The only cuck here, is you.

Why would anybody learn about this in school just because it comes up on Veeky Forums alot?

Lead fuel has nothing to do with your compression lol

1930's era shitbox

maybe he was huffing lead petrol

>ten to six to one

>fags ITT don't know why lead was I gas

Holy fuck I thought Veeky Forums was about cars n shit
en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tetraethyllead

In the 50s automakers were competing with trying to make the highest compression engines they could. Back then you could get 150-200 octane gas no problem. Fucking cats and ethanol ruined everything.

>Back then you could get 150-200 octane gas no problem
yeah ok

>requires 5w-20
>engine is 100K+
>put in 5w-30 Royal Purple

I don't know what to feel.

still in av gas

>doesn't know about the dial-an-octane
>calls herself an enthusiast

Most American cars in the 50s and 60s had 10:1 Plus compression

But it does

You're a retard.

There's plenty of turbo engines that require 93 that are under 4.0L

Depends what your vehicle requires from the start. Engine designed for full synthetic is still okay at 100k for that weight. Can change to 5w-30 to make it a little less noisy.

>Royal purple
Nigga you went full retard. Just use Pennzoil HM platinum synthetic. Royal Purple is shit tier and that shit isn't designed for normal engines.

Wait, Royal is just a Meme Oil?

Can some one else confirm this?

Get 2 gallons of premium in handheld gas container, drive home, drop car gas tank, pump into buckets or something, replace tank, fill with premium, drive to station, fill, done. Or add one of those questionable additives to raise the octane.

>autism

He will probably be fine with octane boosters.

youtube.com/watch?v=uQ_vxdO_9nc

PZ/Mobil-1/Aimsoil are really the only good oils. Everything else scores pretty low on blackstone analyst benchmarks.

So pic related can only take (about 60 gallons) of 100LL leaded avgas. What would happen if you filled it with automotive 87 unleaded?

On a side note, what would happen if you tried to fill your Camry with 100LL?

Forgot pick like a fucking dumbass.

>driving friend's car
>requires premium
>intentionally fill up with regular

I have a Cadillac 429 and my engine is 10.5:1 as far as I recall.

>requires 91
>gas stations only have 87, 89, and 93

Airplane engine would not be happy and you may die.
In your car it'd be a huge waste of money and the cat might get trashed from the lead

Europeans

hahaha diesel and gasoline got different nozzels over here

Same in America friendo
Black and green are quite different

Wow, you're a fuckin' idiot. :^)