Generators and other useful resources
donjon.bin.sh/fantasy/name/
pastebin.com/TyAHmtW4 (embed)
[MV] Plugin Releases
mvplugins.com/
[VX/Ace] Master Script List
rmvxace.wikia.com/wiki/RPG_Maker_VX_Ace_Master_Script_List
Collection of old RPGM games
drive.google.com/folderview?id=0Bz0L3Pxrc8tqfnB1dFhTZHZwSV91cW1KMW9wcUM2WHhwSFFFMUVJX0pEYVExMndNLWtXbGs&usp=sharing
The /rpgmg/ podcast (Updated every other Wednesday):
youtube.com/playlist?list=PLyrIVUR5VXKC9XxmtqJh0u0Wcdvu8VQ6A
/rpgmg/ Chain/Collaboration Game!
Done with their part:
- RPG Maker Maker !!nHmJbtdk7T2
- Cortop !QqL8nX9URE
- Duwang !yP15zzo8dA
- MEands !!sbyw5zs4GtT
- Alexander Guy !swIUti/LTA
- salt !AOUYhrDYgU
- Double user !WAnon.pOpQ
- Crunch !I1tYcLS8Ts
- Comp !MEJ8qE/3h
- Silent Maid !ztOzYBnEEw
- Joakim Morgen !!4elh6dhvavq
- W.T.Dinner !LTqeha3bQk
- Firgof !aFqhsxkECQ
Currently working:
Bubbles !u696zUYxpM
Version 13B: mediafire.com/download/89tsrb5ka31g36h/rpgmgcollab_v13B.zip

Other urls found in this thread:

ichi-up.net/2016/068
soundcloud.com/mondo-nugget/mystic-future-neon-shadows
mega.nz/#!1IsW2ASS!rWo5i-KWIeQyUtCH5BM7QbNJdiMPzr4yat3a7sEcLP8
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Try not dying this time.

I never manage to get a bingo :[

The only time I ever won at bingo was in a round when 3 other people also won and we ha to split. It wound up being such a low prize that it didn't cover the cost of the ticket.

wip i'm wip-ing on. currently the characterization is wrong and there's no real logic, as i focused more on making the gameplay and flow work in a way that isn't painful to manage. fortunately that's out of the way and I can start making actual things with this now, so yay. here's a proof-of-concept video

We didn't die last time!

>That ending
10/10

Wow my game rocks! /s

I only have one human in the game and two characters in the party, though. Those questions are somewhat unfair.

I'm bored

I'm in the clear.

ichi-up.net/2016/068

weaboo coloring guide. basically, by hue shifting, you're able to color shaded regions without decreasing the value of the color, allowing you to keep the image more vibrant/lively.

aalmost makes me want to bother drawing my next sprites.

>Well, there's an obvious answer: don't let the player continue.
I think I prefer things balanced in a way that makes losing part of the learning process, though.
>Or, do the Tail of the Sun thing: let the player continue, but not with the same character.
I thought about that, but it would hurt the character arcs and relationships quite a lot.
>Or, do the weakass comic book thing: instead kill off a secondary character to whom the protagonist was attached.
Also thought about this, but then the player is worried more about the NPCs
>You've got nothing if not options!

I think I am going to mix things up a bit like this:
Take things from the HunterxHunter handbook and craft the story so many encounters are explicitly stated as non-lethal from a flavor perspective. Especially early on.
And for the lethal encounters, there could be a couple safeguards:
You will be able to "introspect" into the "mind of dead heroes" before a difficult fight. This means you can take a boss fight "for real" after several "practice matches". These encounters would be optional and could be replayed as much as you like.
You have a number of "lives" before you die for real, probably 3 maximum or so, but you can "recharge" that number through a limited number of sidequests.
And then right before the final area, you earn effective immortality/infinite lives through some story plot point.

DashBored

Bump

soundcloud.com/mondo-nugget/mystic-future-neon-shadows

New track. Gonna use it for some nighttime city streets!

... or that's the plan, anyway

It's megaupload still a thing?
I just finished my last playtesting so after compressing everything I'd like to share my finished game here.

This is good, should be added to the pastebin.

>finished game
Is this real life?
This is great news.

Megaupload died years ago but they have a new site now - mega.nz, not sure if you need to register there or something, though. Zippyshare would be an alternative.

I like it, has some kind of uneasiness to it. It feels like you should be on your guard.
I feel like you are improving every time you post something.

>megaupload
>finished game
Is this a ruse?

>Megaupload died years ago but they have a new site now - mega.nz
I know that. But Mega was kind of dead according to kim.com twitter the other day and files were being deleted. I don't use direct downloads often so I wasn't sure if it was still working.

I feel like everyone but me in these threads makes their own assets instead of 'borrowing' them like I do.

My MC only has amnesia in the first few minutes of the game as an excuse for the player to input a name and other options.

I'm using MV's character generator. Problem?

None of the barrels/pots are searchable unless otherwise specified. I like placing a fuckton of them, and I don't intend to stroke any autists out there.

It doesn't make much sense for poison to miraculously heal itself after battle, especially if the battle is action-based.

Learning how to make art assets has been extremely rewarding for me. I can make anything I want and it looks like shit. Come join the club!

Thanks dude. I work hard.

Nah, I've only got music and the drive, thank god for the event system, I have a decent grasp on that at least. No digital art skills to speak of, that's for after I get good enough at tune making, which I'm making decent progress at I think for only doing it for a few months from nothing.

This bingo thing is interesting. Pains me to have to put x's on RTP, albeit temporarily. It's not a horror game, though there will be horror inspired segments.

Progress!

Looks great!

whoa, getting some strong Ghost Trick vibes here. was that an inspiration? you nailed the layout of those levels, and also: cats!

Losing my mind.

Trying to create in MV a script that will check to see if the character has removed their armor and then to take action.

I'm having trouble finding scripting commands/instructions for MV rather than VXACE.

So far I've got:

$gameActors.actor(1).equips(3).empty

I'm unsure if 'empty' is still a valid command. That line doesn't give me any syntax errors but I also can't get it to return true.

use console.log() to learn about things, or reading through the scripts

Thanks!

Never played it before in my life but I just looked it up, looks awesome! It appears that my concept for how the general exploration gameplay will work is very similar, based on the way they designed their levels. Was Ghost Trick fun to walk around in? (Just found out they also have a black cat with a red bandanna, holy shit spooky)

>use console.log() to learn about things, or reading through the scripts
Well thanks for nothing.

>2 years after (Actually, only worked on the game like 6 months from that period and re-made the game from scratch 2 times) I got VX Ace I actually finished a game
Holy shit. Here is a link mega.nz/#!1IsW2ASS!rWo5i-KWIeQyUtCH5BM7QbNJdiMPzr4yat3a7sEcLP8
I'd appreciate feedback. I've tested it a lot so It should work without problems. The time I got was 4~5 hours but I was grinding so it should take less than that to finish this space(bar) simulator.

>bitchmade attitude

>$gameActors.actor(1).equips()
you could also just type directly into the console window while the game is running. look at what it prints out, and then you can do a conditional however you want based on that.

By the way, that function you're calling doesn't take any parameters, so doing .equips(1) is the same as doing .equips(50) or .equips("nonsense").

Does this require the VX Ace RTP? Can you tell us anything about the game or post screenshots? Ill dl it tonight but wont have time to play it for a few days =(

>Was Ghost Trick fun to walk around in?
you don't really walk around since you're a ghost. you "jump" from point to point to control things

I included the RTP on the game because I use some of the icons and tiles.
Fuck, I was looking for the few webms I made but I can't find them on my pc or the archive. Don't know what kind of screenshot I could take.
The game is about a girl that goes around making errands or something. It's not really important.

Wasn't equips taking the slot of the equip screen starting at 0 and progressing down the line?

All the documentation seems to say so.

what is this survey at the start

The game has nudes and bad words, the survey determines if you see the nudes/words or a black bar blocks them.

You could have tried to word it less suspiciously.

Downloading
Not sure when I can play your game however.
I'll be sure to post something when I can!

don't die

bamp

terrific

A random encounter happened and because you can walk for a few frames after the bubble disappears and the battle starts, I walked into what I assume was a transfer event and this happened when the battle started.

Otherwise, the game is just kinda alright so far.

The solution was:

$gameActors.actor(1).equips()[3]==null

Which is the first character in the party: actor(1)
Has equipped in in the 4th slot (counting from 0) equips()[3]

Something that is or isn't equal to a null value.

To reverse the function just change ==null to !==null

Now the only trick left is to figure out if I can use an 'any' variable in the actor clause to save having either a loop iterating through the possible party members or having the script replicated for each party member.

And no thanks to either or This bit of script can be used to check to see if the player has items equipped or not just change the equips()[number] to match your equip slot starting at 0 and working down.

>Unsearchable barrels or pots
But isn't that tech-heresy?

I always like to put liquids in pots and barrels.

You scoop up a handful of liquid, only to watch it slip through your fingers like your last chance at true happiness.

Surprisingly pretty clear.
Every human is white because the setting is an old eastern europe style place.
There's only one "real" moral choice in the entire game but it needs to be unlocked with missable items.

Have you ever gotten so intimate with RPGM that you start doing simple stuff in even simpler ways?

I was getting tired of giving numerical values to certain states/IDs/etc. and needing references charts (and in-event note) to memorize what each number was. Then I realized I didn't need numerics at all. It's little shit like this that still wrests a smile out of me.

>It actually works

Holy shit

It's amazing how many people don't know how to do this. You can do some neat stuff by inputting text strings into variables.

Downloading now! Hopefully it wont crash for me. But if it does, I'll see if I can figure out why.

>You can do some neat stuff by inputting text strings into variables.
This I already knew, especially in regards to having variable text boxes. It's the realization that I can also utilize those text strings in conditional branches that took me off-guard.

Don't forget the catch-all "\" so that you can use punctuation.

Good night bump

>Extremely useful script that can change something for the better completely
>"Non-commercial use only"

why do people do this

My whole game is lewd for the point of lewd so there's that.

How many projects have you abandoned so far?

How many breads have you eaten in your life?

About 5 of them were "This is the project I'm going to finish."

Several more projects were mostly just testing out new engines, like Game Maker and 2D Fighter Maker.

For anything I worked more than an hour on and actually had a good plan with, only 3. A puzzle game, a horror game and a really short VN style thing.

The puzzle game was meant to be a remake of a bad game I already finished but as someone that's older now I realised there was no way of salvaging it without basically changing the whole thing. The horror game just kinda... stunk. I really hated working on it. I constantly rewrote the story due to how obtuse it was at times and planning progression around the story was very difficult. The VN style thing got into really "expected" trouble and at that point it was better just to do it in Ren'Py I haven't even started the Ren'Py version out of laziness

My current game is a lot better and more fun to work on than either of those. The story is quite simple and has a lot of flexibility since most of the story relevant sections aren't completely tied with the order of gameplay progression, and it definitely won't go the direction of the VN unless I go full retard. On top of those, I get to try a really experimental battle system.

"You can't die /rpgmg/, you just can't!
"We're so close!"

"Look... I don't like it either kid, but there's nothin' we can do now."

"No!"
"There has to be a way!"
"I'll... fix this!"

"Cleo..."

"I never got to say-"

"How you felt?"
"Do you really think they didn't know?"

sleep tight

Does your game have spooky ghosts?

Goodnight
>Progress.

Oh yes it does.

That's quite specific. While I was testing it, that crash happened once but never figured out why it happened. Yet another downside for random encounters.

back to page 1

"I want to kill myself" Select Kill yourself. Kills self. Game Over screen.

Well, I don't know what I expected.
Still cracked me up.

bump

There is no way I can do something like "Charm target enemy if they are at full HP." without Scripting, right?

Seems like Common Events is only able to target by positions in party and Troop #.

bump

Use a conditional branch?

Not him but a conditional branch doesn't suit it since you need the correct Troop # as he pointed out.

>Just thought about bosses having instant kills in a game with only one party member

Is a instant party wipe justifiable in any game if it came with conditions?

maybe have it reduce him to 1HP the first time and every subsequent time it could be an instant kill (provided the instant kill can be avoided in some way).

If I wanted a number in a script to increase by a variable as it went up, would I put "+ $game.variable[x]" next to it?

>want to start mapping
>too many custom tilesets to choose from
How do I solve this? And can I have an infinite tileset in MV?

2, but the second one merged into my 3rd one i'm working on so far.

>find a script that I need
>it's in spanish

I'm bored.

work on your game

You can do it in the formula bar. Depending on which version you're using, the syntax will be different, but it'll be something like
>b.hp == b.mhp? b.add_state(x) : 0 ; normalformulahere

Not entirely sure what you're asking, but the syntax for referencing variables is $game_variables[x] in Ace and $gameVariables.value(x) in MV.

bump

Got a problemo, ese?

Work on your game user

Wow. Fantastic.

Thank you!

Today's progress:
Changed my NameBar script to refer to names in the actor database instead of literal string names. It was the fastest way to make it whitespace insensitive. It's a bit kludgy though, since it means I have to have an Actor for each name I ever want to show.

Later I'll do some monster art.

>It's a bit kludgy though, since it means I have to have an Actor for each name I ever want to show.
You don't, right? You could have one or two generic actors, then change their names via event command as necessary. Seems like a much better method if you're going to, for example, give all the random NPCs names.

>damn. This dungeon ended up less than half the size of the other ones
>guess I'll just double the encounter rate

That's... a really good idea.

Fuck, I'm an idiot.

>namebar script
Now, I'm no expert on scripts, but what makes it easier than just having a custom namebase like pic related?

What about working with string variables? At least in VX Ace, you can store words or even entire sentences in a variable.

Why would you do that? Just go on the internet and tell lies?

Finishing the weekend (and holidays) with some more progress. Not sure how exactly to scale small/big weapons for the interface, but generally I'll probably make one-handed weapons bigger, since they tend to be smaller.

nice guns
what game is this for? very intrigued

This looks great

bump

Game's pretty garbage, but I'm trying to beat it to support /rpgmg/. I made it to Deko Town and gave the dude the spider shells, what do I do now?

Because of people like you.

Welp...

I'm trying to figure out if I can make a dual screen system like people have in Pokemon Essentials BW, but in VX Ace. I think that too many things may be tied to the screen size instead of using viewport sizes.

Has anyone else tried this?

Forgot pic related.