/domg/ - Dominions General

Awooooo edition

Previous thread: Dominions is a fantasy turn-based war game created by two dudes. One of them is a teacher.

The game combines a simple presentation with an extremely wide array of strategic options, including over 2800 units, 800 spells and 300 magic items. Turns are resolved simultaneously, with players planning battles rather than directly controlling them.

It has simplistic graphics but is easily moddable and extremely deep.

Basically, it's an autist’s wet dream of a war game.

>Steamgroup
Join the steamgroup for multiplayer
steamcommunity.com/groups/vanheimageofvidya

>Group chatroom
steam://friends/joinchat/103582791434709795

>Our work-in-progress wiki
dom4.wikia.com/wiki/Dominions_4_Wiki

>Our pastebin
pastebin.com/uTZnjYwm (embed)

>Dom4 Manual
jaffa.illwinter.com/dom4/manual_dom4.pdf

>Dom4 Inspector
This is a community resource that has every unit, spell, and item in the game in an accessible database.
larzm42.github.io/dom4inspector/

>Play by email guide:
steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=202096551

>Debug Mod:
For testing battle formations and spells
dom4archive.kermodebear.org/www.desura.com/games/dominions-4-thrones-of-ascensions/forum/thread/debug-mod.html

>Where do I get it?
It is available on Gamersgate (-75%) and Steam. Desura is kill.

>THE BASICS
>Read the manual
>Read the wiki
>Read the pastebin
>Watch some LPs by Maerlande or NuclearMonkee
>Start playing multiplayer games
>Do bully the elf

Submit completed games here:
docs.google.com/forms/d/1jHX_ZoJi6zIvDq6ANdp-W1Y89W5_fmShuDyHmAj5qC4/viewform

Results Here:
docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1dlrvyEqLFYIaXRc49TheMmfdoP8jEh1m5rZJHJAzDWQ/edit?usp=sharing

Other urls found in this thread:

www12.zippyshare.com/v/W33Qr9Sd/file.html
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

1st for broken AI

Second for sweet, sweet, salty goodness

Now I took some of my time to actually read about changes summod brings in. And I can clearly state that it's awful. Beyond awful.
The main 'achievement' of this mod is the simplification of the game to the point that even the most clueless player can blindly find a simple but effective strategy to carry him through the game and he can do it almost effortlessly. For example you can mass produce OP, low-level, cheap items, give them to your cheaper leaders and they can perform good. And scrubs happy about it, they probably think: "Wow, NOW with that buffs I can take on Maerlande or Lambert without embracing myself", or something like that. But in reality the game becomes INCREDIBLY easier to play the more skilled you are. In the vanila you can perform bad due to huge blow from random events, cruitical mistake or from ill will of the neighbours, but with summod all you need to be OK is to SPEND GEMS. No matter what you are doing with them you'll be OK, since a lot of items and summons are dirt cheap now and OP.

Well, basically this mod is a huge mistake. I kinda respect the guys who created it, but they performed the task really poorly. It's not a balance mod, it's a mod to simlify the game, making it less challenging and less worthy of putting efforts into it. Mod which makes the game boring, or more boring.
By trying to cater to scrubs who doesn't have proper grasp on the game, experienced players like sum1won, Lamert S, Ohlman and others just created something mediocre which is not worth learning and adjusting your sense of game to.
The road to hell is paved with good intentions.

The only real problem with the balance in the game is MA Ermor being invulnerable in 1 on 1 fight. But the proper diplomacy may bring it down and in general I don't think that it's wrong to have 1 really OP nation if everyone is aware about the fact that it's OP so they can act accordingly.
Dominions 4 HAVE NO balance issues which can not be overcome by player's skill.

Der_Gotterdammerung is getting pretty exciting.

t. Ermor

Its the most exciting memegame atm. Flatus is can bats stop Lemuria, and Memegeddon is can anyone stop bats.

I'm betting the answer for both is: No.

Is it time for this meme again already? It was a shitty meme the first time, and it's still shitty.

What's the point of skelly spam?

They don't do shit against non-retard troops. Are they just fatigue bait?

t. Butthurt Russian Autist

They're tarpits that keep the enemy in place forever.

Skellyspam effectively removes the need for any sort of line holders against simple army compositions (PD). This way, four D2+ mages alone may take a province that would have otherwise required thirty men to conquer.

I'm curious now, what distinguishes each of the different Dominions communities on the internet?

We have summod and autism, eetochan has even more autism, and I don't know anything about the others.

>enemy sieges fort
>spam skelet
>enemy can not get past gatehouse

))))

first of all they have very decent stats and will slowly damage even decent troops.

but the main thing they do is gifting any of your other casters free turns for his evocations, while your enemy's caster waste evocation on worthless squares of skeletons...and they fatigue the enemy troops.

eventually even skeletons will kill anything that has 40 fatigue.

Goon meta is retardedly aggressive, Desura adores thugs more than anything else in the world

Dom4mods is a melting pot of all of these.

Which are we?

>pic unrelated

>This way, four D2+ mages alone may take a province that would have otherwise required thirty men to conquer.

a cast is like 40 fatigue so you can get 3 casts at most that's like 10 skellies so you get 40 skellies total im not sure you can take over PD 20 with that

Yoy will easily get 1 more cast before the first skeletons are dead, and that's with D2 mages.

The point is to wear down the enemy army with troops which don't cost anything.

They're good enough to fight weaker infantry on about equal standing, and they'll wear more elite troops down through fatigue and lucky hits.

Later on you can use darkness, which effectively gives them +6 attack and defense, to make them really strong against everything.

Skeletons are about on par with standard human troops (less hp and worse armor, but no morale so they fight to the death). If you don't have priests, an equal number of skeletons is scarier than most PD types.

Your numbers are off too. Each cast is 6 skeletons, so 18 per mage for a total of 72 from 4 D2 mages. That's more troops than 20PD has, and as I said above they generally win against equal numbers of living troops.

I still don't understand why your silly team attacked us, but here, have a battle report.

Lower HP is also compensated for by pierce resistance since many of the most common indie types tend to have piercing damage type weapons

I will note, however, that due to skeletal pierce resist, archers love to take aim at the casters. Only the casters. I cannot tell you how many skelly spam attacks I've seen fail due to the mage getting shot, then running away like a little bitch.

>I will note, however, that due to skeletal pierce resist, archers love to take aim at the casters. Only the casters. I cannot tell you how many skelly spam attacks I've seen fail due to the mage getting shot, then running away like a little bitch.

This is wrong. Archers do not prioritize based on resistance at all ever. A unit can be completely immune to archers and draw fire forever. The reason that archers target mages is that the mages are on the battlefield first. If you have a handful of infantry in front of your mages, then even if they all die, the archers will likely swap to the skeletons rather than the mages next.

Uh, guys, it looks like Helheim and Sauro are working together, I saw them do some kind of province trade earlier. Given how huge Sauro is and how retarded Dragur are for Helheim, shouldn't we be more worried about them than batsmans or squids?

Was Pan right?

How often does a team game run and is it a good way to learn the game or will people get mad at you?

Soooooooooooon

This is the future you chose.

This and staling Niefelheim.

Alright Sceleria you got a few hours before I forcehost, it's turn one muthafucka DO YOUR TURN REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

He's probably just timezoned. Relax, motherfucker

what kind of bless does Vanheim have?

F9W9N9.

I am honestly really confused why he went after Vanhere first of all things. And without help. Like, who willingly gets into a 1v1 fight with Vanheim early game.

Though, on these settings, Pan might have been able to emerge victorious with craptons of Revelers.

If Pan isn't the biggest nation on land, he done FUCKED UP something fierce

>He's probably just timezoned.

It's been like 30ish hours, so I don't think so.

Pan is literally near Ulm though. I dunno what the fuck he's doing. He could've dumped scales and gone for a goddamn tribless with 300% everything. And dom10.

Disciple games are less common than normal games, but they still start occasionally. I believe there's one recruiting or recently start over at dom3mods.

>is it a good way to learn the game or will people get mad at you
Generally people join up with people they know rather than getting assigned a random team, so you'd probably need to find a player who's willing to teach you first.

If you've found an experienced player to help you learn, I don't think there's much of an advantage of disciple games over FFA.

Which UI mod is that?

I'm not huge on the purple colour-scheme but the basic Dominions 4 looks is a bit drab for my liking. Is it possible to get the Dominions 3 look in Dominions 4? I liked the colours on that one.

Pan has literally the single worst start zone on the whole goddamn map. Least initial expansion room, and a retarded number of neighbors. They're basically in A-H's spot on the Diplomacy board, which is an absolute piece of shit.

Literally the only boon is that they are still Pan, and 1v1 can crush any of their neighbors with little effort excepting maybe Ulm.

>pick a player
>destroy them with both infinite revellers AND duo bless centaur due to meme settings
>expand over what would be theirs

It's not science rockets

Interface mods are in the pastebin, including classic Dom3 red look and recolors. If you don't find your favorite color, just ask me to make a recolor for you.

>there exist AH players that don't kill and subsequently become Russia

>the pastebin
Shit, I've never actually looked at that before. Thanks fampire.

are the monkey nation naken people summons any good?

They seem really average for a high lvl summons. no armor and kick attacks.

Are the Dom3 UIs compatible with Dominions 4?

Should be, I think there's a couple of changes (for example, looking at the files at a glance, guihead.tga no longer exists) but if it doesn't work as intended straight from the bat, you should be able to rename the files to get them to appear in the desired places

Sadly, its a domg game, which means whoever you go in on might cry for help and then have it answered.

Fighting 2v1, which is supremely likely given you're PAN on these settings, isn't fun.

Pan is fighting 2v1,but they are on the team with 2 players.

Arco and Pan are fighting Ermor and who else? I know Ulm was fighting Vanheim, and Bery was having trouble with Machaka. So I'd guess like Hinnom or something?

>No one's fighting the bats
No wonder they've supposedly spread.

I was going to, then Pan decided to be bitches.

Yes I'm mad.

I liked the idea of expanding west but now I'm stuck in what might be a fight to the death with Machaka. He doesn't communicate so I don't know what his thinking is beyond 'invade me' and 'MOAR ELEFANTS!'

Can't take the double-teamage memage

It's being used in multiple dom4mods games, at least one steam game, and in at least one other small community.

>NO TURNS

If you look really closely at her eyes they look kind of fucked up. All the detail that seems fine from a distance looks deranged up close.

>tfw waking up and there are no new turns

Truly the worst feeling.

Game: AllMAGamesAreMemeGames
Turn number 8
Next turn due: 16:33 GMT on Sunday August 7th

Abysia Waiting for 2h file
Agartha 2h file received
Asphodel 2h file received
Shinuyama 2h file received
Bandar Log 2h file received
Caelum 2h file received
C'tis 2h file received
Ermor 2h file received
Machaka 2h file received
Man 2h file received
Marignon 2h file received
Vanarus 2h file received
T'ien Ch'i 2h file received
Ulm 2h file received
Vanheim 2h file received
Ys 2h file received

So are the monkeys staling too now?

God damn it Abysia, I just came back from work and all I could think of all day was the result of a really crazy attack I've done last turn. Move your hot ass and do your turn already.

Suspicious Agarthan.jpg

>Notice gmail tab has (1)
>Hopes go up
>Thank you for your Community Market purchase

REE WHERE ARE MY TURNS

>message on the phone
>Oh boy maybe its from gmail about turns
>Hey, wanna go for a drink?

I want to, but i wanted to do turns first ;_;

>tfw you're neighbours with someone you can't trust, but you're going to pretend you're best friends because you ain't got no time for paranoia

Just do them when you come back home blackout drunk.

but thats how Im losing most of my games

I don't trust you either, friend.

I know.

Abysia please have some structure to your expansion, I can never predict what province you're about to take.

Also Ys, I'm taking 123 this turn, I'm sure that won't be a problem, right?

Sorry there were some dark vines on the way. I am mostly done with expansion tho, can I have 63 and 69 and be done with it?

Yo Abysia.

We seem to have a clear natural border in any case, so I'm agreeable to your suggestion.

Sure go ahead, I'll steer clear of them so we avoid losing more shit for no reason.

Gotta say though, your territory has a pretty weird shape from what I see.

Yes, I sent you a pm agreeing to that.

what is that demon looking thing?

Nah its ok in looks once I take 63 and 69, not too long or too spread. Forests annoy me due to movement but what can I do...

One of the old Archdevil sprites, Dom3 era, if I remember right.

I am not at home and won't be for a while. I have my laptop though but not the nation mod "Library of the sea".

Does anyone have a download link, i need 12 extra hours if I can't find it very soon.

>First year not even over yet

Don't the links in the Steam discussion work anymore?

Yo Agartha, got an updated map?

I forgot about that, I got them from this thread last time.

Mictlan is doing fine, they seem to have more provinces than the bats.

>No fancy fonts on this computer

RIP

Underwater elves are in the other sea. Yellow is C'tis.

Whoops, I should have cropped that

Oh well, not like I have anything to hide Except for maybe my blood magic power level

www12.zippyshare.com/v/W33Qr9Sd/file.html

This is the only one still alive.

>THICC

You're number one on my remove list now.

Here's a bit of correction.

Judging by Ys is near the spooky woods, so probably in that sea on the northwest.

I warned you about the province, Ashia. I warned you.

Feel free to reveal your name so I can show you that Agarthans can grow even bigger than giants where it counts

I'd be up there helping you but meme demons have cut me off for at least three more turns

Once that's dealt with I have some dank priest level 3 memage coming up though

It's fine, I should be able to last for a while.

If it comes to worst I'll just move my entire nation a tile up and give free passage to Ermor towards Arco and and Ys.

>Have new computer
>Have fancy new games
>Still just want to play Dominions and nothing else

Are there some graphically advanced games offering similar depth compared to Dominions?

ARE YOU HERE BANDAR LOG?

The less boardgame-like a game becomes the more depth it loses. Nothing fancy looking can really compete with Dominions in terms of depth from what I've seen.

You should be able to run all those big Paradox map-painting fuckfests no problem if you feel like it. Beyond that maybe some simulation type stuff would interest you.

I've been thinking of upgrading my computer for a while now but then I got to thinking of what I'd actually play with a stronger computer and came up blank.

Sure, what do you need?

I will be real mad if you try to take my provinces.