Automobile Botnets

Are there any new cars that don't constantly
transmit your position and speed to the manufacturer?

yes and no, its called unified communications or "convergence" and is used to connect your phones 802.11 to the cars blu tooth. Get with the times gramps the internet will soon be a connection of one entity. A lot of it is meme-tier shit marketed to millenials who want ipod support, however we are seeing more and more convergence from vehicles to wireless networking.

just dont pay for the onstar, jesus christ

the only car where you can't turn it off is tesla

>connect your phone's 802.11 to the car's Bluetooth.

You do realize that WiFi and Bluetooth are two different things, right?

I would think at least

Since about 2013 all manufactures have been installing black boxes which are ready to be switched on to tax you by the mile as carbon taxes when the legislation goes though.

There is a German donk under that hood.
These don't phone home. Yet.

Fuck off /g/

>I have no idea what I'm talking about

>muh Internet of Things

This meme needs to die.

>citation needed

Is this a real thing?
Do new car cucks really have to deal with this shit?

BMW "ConnectedDrive". The cars have a built-in GSM modem with a fixed SIM "card".

I once met a BMW driver who thought it's the best idea ever.

>just dont pay for the onstar,

GM admitted that Onstar continues to occasionally broadcast info even if you choose not to pay for Onstar features. The police are able to access Onstar features in your car without your permission if they get a warrant. Thus, they can turn on the microphones for surveillance purposes (has been done before) or request Onstar to get the car to stop because they are chasing your car. Onstar then tapers off fuel flow to the fuel injectors, thus the car comes to a stop while still being powered so you dont wreck due to sudden loss of steering or brakes.

My car keeps track of many things and I can even set a "Teen Mode" for it. I can then get a report on how they were driving it including panic stops, hard driving, lane changes without turn signals, or even weaving in the lane. Obviously, if they were speeding I would be told in the report app. This implies that this data could also be collected without teen mode turned on. But importantly, in order for me to have a report via the smartphone app, that data would have to be transmitted to Onstar first.

So how is the Cruze treating you?

If it really bothered you that much, you could just hook a programmer up and tell the ECU that the OnStar equipment isn't installed, then disconnect it. I disabled the Tele Aid system in all my Mercedes this way

>You do realize that WiFi and Bluetooth are two different things

Besides bluetooth convergence, my car also has a WiFi router built-in to provide a mobile WiFi hotspot. Its range is pretty good as I can be in the house and hook in to the car's WiFi with my laptop at the other end of the house.

>being this paranoid

has the media and government really been injecting that much paranoia into you?

irregardless if your car actually sends position and speed to anyone, why would you care? noone cares about neets like you.

go back to /g/ and masturbate to the stupid encryption threads.

>So how is the Cruze treating you?
I was afraid my car would automatically drive to mexico to deport me, so I picked Malibu instead. Jokes aside, I've sort of given up trying to avoid the man. He is everywhere because far too many people didn't resist. Thus, I got the government that the mass majority accepted by not protesting against privacy invasion.

I also don't have access or knowledge of using one of these car programmer devices for GM ECU. If disabled, I'm sure GM would know and have the dealer fix it the next time I came back to the dealer for anything. The whole system seems well connected. If even one tire is low on pressure, I get an immediate email as well. Because of my driving style, I even got an email listing several insurance companies that would give me additional discounts due to my safer driving style.

One day, some privacy bill will be passed to allow all insurance companies to check driver performance via the car's data. I suppose my policy rates would go down, but a lot of you guys who turn without signalling, weave in lane setting of lane detector in the car, speed, drive between midnite and 4AM, or have panic stops would get higher rates.

>irregardless

As you imply, only the guilty or those who intend to break the law need to worry.

The fluoride in the water and the chemtrails make the population docile.

I've never fucked around with ECU coding on a new-ish GM, but I would imagine it's easy enough to disable if you want, and I doubt any dealership is going to do anything if you simply pull the fuses and relays afterwards

And privacy as it's generally accepted to be hasn't been thing since the 90's when credit reporting agencies could begin getting access to basically everything you did. Having a /g/ related career, I just don't even give a fuck about it anymore

>And privacy as it's generally accepted to be hasn't been thing since the 90's when credit reporting agencies could begin getting access to basically everything you did. Having a /g/ related career, I just don't even give a fuck about it anymore

I just find it so annoying that the hardware of my car and intel CPU personal computer can be commanded disabled by the government. Intel CPU chips from Sandy Bridge onwards can be disabled. Ivy Bridge even allows hard drive content deletion commands. Who knows what chips beyond Ivy Bridge did as I couldn't see unless I was part of the IT development. Well, since you are IT, perhaps one day you will be able to see some of the features the latest intel CPU are capable of doing to allow the FBI to access the PC contents. Intel is not Apple and has been cooperative.

>uhm, sir, we've had a look at your onstar data.
>we simply cannot nsure someone who actually DRIVES their car

I haven't seen that bird in years.

if you're that paranoid about it just flash your ECU and wrap it in foil

A base model 2005 Subaru, there is barely enough technology to run the car let alone track you.

Heil Hydra!