Test driving a high volume of cars

My mema needs to go car shopping, and since I'm her caretaker I'll be the one driving her. We need to find a car that is comfy for her, enjoyable for me, and rides soft... So we were going to test drive 12-15 cars in total. How do I go about this without having the dealership hate us? Just be kind and explain the situation?

yes but they will expect you to allow them to rape your wallet afterwards
just get a lexus ls430

She's not going to buy an older car, she's looking for a new one.

Buy a Lincoln towncar

Any particular price range? Cause if you looking high end they could care less so long as they sell you that car. If you're talking Mid-Low End they'll tell you to chill.

About $40k - $50k

Genesis V8 or a used Equus.

get an suv or crossover, easier for her to get in and out of

Honda civic si with a few simple mods

Yeah you should be fine, just give them a heads up that you wanna test drive a few options and they'll be glad to accomadate you for that kind of cash, I'm sure.

What dealership are you going to where you would be cross-shopping 12-15 cars? Are you seriously that stupid that you can't narrow it down beyond a manufacturers entire lineup?

We're not going to a single dealership, we're going between 2 dealership chains who own everything from Buick to Lexus.

So why the hell would you care about the dealership hating you if you're not driving them from one location? Do you think they call each other and say "WATCH OUT FOR THE GERIATRIC AND IDIOT SON! THEY SUCK!"

Honestly if you're really worried, go to as many different dealerships as possible. That way if you narrow it down to one car that's at a few dealerships you can start a bidding war between them.

Go to multiple dealerships for a good cross-reference on models and so forth, and just explain that you have to be very picky because she's disabled.

>actually recommending Hyundai
kys

Carmax

Although trying to cross-shop/test drive 15 cars is crazy. Go sit in and play around in them first, and narrow the test drive field down to the top 3 or 4. If you try and drive 15 cars, they are all going to start running together around car number 6 or 7

We went to Buick, and as we were going to test drive a LaCrosse there was a Flash flood warning, so we went home.

Fucking Texas, it never fucking stops raining.

Test driving that many cars is ridiculous because at least half of them are going to require you filling out a credit report with them, which willeads make her credit score take a hit each time.

Find a segment that she is interested (luxury sedan, hybrid hatchback, sporty coupe, etc) and then do some research online and read/watch reviews and look into competitors of your top picks.

You should be able to narrow it down to 3-5 cars max. There simply aren't that many cars out there in a particular new car segment.

Tell your mother to chill.

If I was a car dealer and you fucked around test driving 15 cars I'd make damn sure I ripped you for every penny.

It's my grandmother.

Why do we have to do a credit check to test a car out? We need to find a comfy car she can get in and out of because she has bone cancer. We're paying cash for the cars, not financing.

It wouldn't have been in one day, she only has the energy to do 2-3 a day.

>It wouldn't have been in one day, she only has the energy to do 2-3 a day.

Still stands, if you're trying to get through 15 cars, test driving 2-3 a day, you won't even remember the first third of the cars you drove by the time you get to the end.

Go to a fucking Carmax, go sit in the cars you are considering, narrow the list down to 3-4 serious choices, then go test drive those

Also, dealerships hate cash sales, so expect to thrown around the ring a bit on that/agree to finance then just pay the loan off in full the first month

Kill her and yourself.

Get a used Lexus LS.

nah she's a geriatric i think. he should get a lexus lx470

>Why do we have to do a credit check to test a car out?

They cannot read your mind and thus know for sure you are going to buy. Of course everyone comes in saying "i'm gonna buy" because if someone comes in saying "i refuse to buy from you, now give me free test drives".....

If you have no credit, then clearly you are not buying a car with credit. Why give test drives to non buyers? The real estate market has the same problem with "lookie loos" who shop thru houses with no real intention of buying.

Again, why does credit matter if we're paying cash? The Buick dealership we went to didn't have us run a credit check before we were going to test drive the LaCrosse.

When I went to buy my first car 3 months ago they NEVER ran a credit check until I sat down and said I wanted to buy the car. Even then, I sat in 10 cars and tested 3.

Why the hostility? Just because an old woman wants to enjoy a new car one last time?

>require you filling out a credit report with them
What the fuck? No. I'm only 24 and I've been able to drive BMWs, Lexuses, and Audis with no credit checks whatsoever. I've literally never had a credit check run for me at a dealership unless I was buying.

As a general rule, dealerships aren't going to run your credit to test drive a couple cars.

If you get excessive with the test drives though, they could require that you get prequalified/provide proof of funds to keep test driving shit

Like I said before, dealerships hate cash sales, you will come out much better negotiating to finance, then just paying the loan off the first month

Why do dealerships hate cash? She says she's not going to finance at all and I quote...
>"Anybody who forces me to finance can fuck themselves. If they don't want my cash then they get no sale."

>not recommending a car that better suits OPs wants
kys

then advise her that her best course of action is to buy a car through a private seller that still has plenty of warranty.
and to enjoy watching her life savings dwindle to fuck all over the next decade

She won't be alive in 3 years, much less 10. She's handled her finances excellently, and even though she hasn't worked in 20 years, she's made money.

Because the dealership makes far more money off the financed sale than they do the cash sale (hence why they are more willing to negotiate), plus the financed sale helps them more with monthly bonuses than a cash sale will

As a car salesman, let me give you the abbreviated rundown: With new cars, there is almost no money to be made in the actual car itself. For dealerships, the profit is all in the backend-(commission from the loan, warranties, service packages, monthly bonuses based on sales/finance goals)

So in a given month, a dealership makes its money from finance commission and hitting monthly goals that give them end of the month bonuses-(selling XXX number of cars total, XX number of a certain car, getting XX percent of customers set up on financing, selling XX percentage of warranties)

All buying a car cash does is put them one car closer to the monthly sales goal

On a financed deal, they make the commission on setting up the loan, it counts on the total finance bonus, and the total sales bonus. A finance manager will be far more willing to negotiate on the price because the car has far more potential to make him money on the back end. what he sacrifices on front end cost will be outstripped by what he makes up on the back end

Any smart consumer who has the money to pay cash will negotiate a financed sale to get the best possible vehicle price, then simply pay the loan off in 30 days to avoid any interest.

Like I said, since dealerships have absolutely no incentive to want your cash deal, you WILL get thrown around

Dumbest shit I've ever read. In 15 years of driving I have never once had to do a credit report or any other bs for a test drive. Fuck half the time I don't even get asked for my license or anything they just hand me the keys and say have fun. Hell my GM dealer lets me take shit home for the weekend

See that's why I negotiate the price before even talking about cash or financing. The majority finance so the salesman doesn't even ask and starts negotiations with financing in mind only to find out at the end it's a cash deal and he can't really just change shit without losing the sale

That's nuts man, you would think someone walking in to a stealership with a big roll would be enough these days.
Maybe dealing with the fucks on Craigslist isn't so bad.

just get a 10k honda crv

The thing is, some (but obviously not all) dealerships would rather lose the sale than make a cash deal, especially if it's near the end of the month. I know first hand that a finance manager at a Chrysler/Jeep/Dodge dealership here literally ripped a customer's contract up when he said he was going to pay cash

Like I said, large dealerships have nothing to gain from a cash sale. It's like going to Best Buy and demanding to get a lower price on your 65 inch TV because you're paying cash. There is just no incentive given how dealerships make money in today's market

Lexus gs350
8spd and 3.5 is glorious
Wonderful interior material, technology, quietness and ride

Funny you mention dodge since i buy a truck from them every 3 years. Salesmen never seem to last long at my dealer so I end up with a new one each time that always assumes I'm financing. Never had one trying to back out of the sale but I did have a few that were obviously pissed off. i buy a $75k(minus trade) truck every three years so I really don't give a fuck if they get pissed off

>negotiate a financed sale to get the best possible vehicle price, then simply pay the loan off in 30 days to avoid any interest.
you can do that and not breach the contract?

lol

The dealership my family buys cars from just asks for a license (to make a copy). Then they hand you the keys to whatever car you want. The salesman doesn't even come along unless you ask.

What Dodge truck costs more than $75,000?

Lol its because trucks have some of the best finance commissions so I am sure they get a little sour in the bottom. And most people in car sales don't make it past 6 months man, the turnover rate is almost wal-Mart tier at most dealerships

Absolutely, almost all new car loans are simple interest loans, so you can pay the loan off in full at any time without penalty. If a dealership tries to offer you anything other than a simple interest loan, walk away

>Also, dealerships hate cash sales

Let me guess, they make less money because no interest rates.

When will the stealership model die?

3500 dually + shitty Canadian dollar. usually just get a base model with a few options but depending on the deal sometime get a higher trim. My current 2014 had a sticker of $95k and I paid $78k

Salesman that sold me my current truck was gone a week later for whatever reason. Was sent a letter from his replacement saying that he was taking over all the last guys clients then a month later that one was gone too. Is kinda funny I never recognize a single salesman, the only person that's has been there the entire time is the parts/service manager

It's actually a bit uncomfortable to see salesmen coming and going so much when you're used to having the same salesmen and mechanics for decades with tractors and such. You kinda build a relationship with those people over the years and you know you can trust them to take care of you but with cars/trucks they are just hunting for the next sale

>It's actually a bit uncomfortable to see salesmen coming and going so much

That's because dealerships don't care about them. They get minimum training and thrown into the fray. I used to be a mechanic and they would hire salesmen by the pallet. You'd see them taken on the tour of the place in a large group. Within a month they were all gone. The machine chews them up and spits them out.
I feel really bad because you could tell they were all young and just trying to pay off student loans.

I hated what they did to my old workplace. It was bad before, but now that they got bought they don't care about customers at all.

>That's because dealerships don't care about them
This. dealerships dangle the idea of a high five to low six figure job in front of people who have never worked comission before, basically give them no training, throw them at the bottom of the pyramid getting the shittiest leads, and at the end of the day, the sales/finance manager is the guy who holds the fate of all your sales in his hands

The core sales staff (the lifers who have all been at the dealership 5-10 years+) get all the top leads, and 9.9 out of 10 new hires will burn out in 3 to 6 months.

i know not everyone is good in sales but you'd think it'd be in the dealers best interest to ensure they do everything possible to help salesmen rack up the sales for them. I'd much rather deal with some old fuck that's been selling for 30 years then some kid that's been there a week

i just spent $35k on a used small tractor(pic related) and didn't ever even see the thing till it was dropped off in my driveway. The salesman then spent about 2 hours going over the tractor with me and making sure I knew how everything worked. Me and my family know he salesman enough to trust he wouldn't fuck us and we actually did have a few minor issues with the tractor but the dealer was out the same day to take care of everything at no cost

>i know not everyone is good in sales but you'd think it'd be in the dealers best interest to ensure they do everything possible to help salesmen rack up the sales for them. I'd much rather deal with some old fuck that's been selling for 30 years then some kid that's been there a week

The sad fact of the matter is, most car sales these days are to sub-prime customers. The auto market right now is about as bad as the housing market was right before the bubble popped.

And because of that, dealerships have basically become finance companies. They aren't selling the car, they are selling the financing, since most of the people who walk through the door would buy a fucking washing machine with wheels if they can get approved.

Tier I customers (the good leads) are filtered to the veteran sales staff, while the 3-6 month before burnout guys are dealing with Shequita and her 488 credit score.

I guess that's where some of us are different then the majority. I don't buy shit unless I know I can afford it and I pay cash as much as possible. Sometimes I don't have a choice but to spend a lot of money I don't have such as when my combine burned up but that's rare

>brandfagging

As bad as the shills tbqh

It's like anything else, credit/financing is a perfectly fine financial tool to use if it's used properly and within reason. The ignorance of the general public to even the most simple concepts of personal finance have turned it into the monster it is today

>The sad fact of the matter is, most car sales these days are to sub-prime customers. The auto market right now is about as bad as the housing market was right before the bubble popped.

Why, oh why did I have a feeling this was why we're selling record units.

Reminds me of when I used to work at staples selling "Nextels™"
Going to give away my age a but here but it was hilarious seeing these drug dealing nogs phones in cash with no credit checks. Nextel lost so much revenue due to unpaid bills and they were scrambling after awhile to make sure credit checks were done.
Those chirps walkie talkie things were a meme (in the actual, dictionary sense of the word) and nogs took full advantage. Those sales numbers looked great until they realized that it was all fluff.

tl;dr
Nextel went to shit because when you subprime shit you'll get burned eventually.

Not to get /pol/ but you can't help but wonder why we haven't learned from our same mistakes over and over again. People are making money, sure but it can't sustain itself and the ones that know bail when they spot the warning signs leaving your 401k to take the rape

Literally one of the best posts I've ever seen on Veeky Forums. And by a tripfag no less. But I already know that you know your shit.

everyone is for making 'easy' money raping poor people on 15% loans and hoping when the loans inevitably go bad after six months someone else will deal with the shitstorm

a responsible financier will refuse the loan but that doesnt make the bank BIG BUX

it goes both ways

years ago when usury laws were on the books, if a bank couldnt offer a loan at a reasonable rate they would simply not offer the loan

but they got greedy, wanted their 20% annual apr so they could book huge profits on the next quarterly report, and got those usury laws removed from the books

Because none of these joints look at the long term picture, ever. It's all about what sort of money they can make in the here and now.

I try my best. Teaching basic concepts of personal finance in high school is one of the most impactful things we could start doing as a country

>and got those usury laws removed from the books

You absolutely still have usury laws though. Why do you think all these pay day loan/cash advance outfits have their headquarters on Indian tribal land? It's the only way they are able to subvert usury laws

That's why he said the general public is retarded.
They go along with it because our economy and society encourages me me me now now now.

Fucking shareholders, I swear to god. They give fuck all about longer term performance and put pressure on what can the company do for me this q. So companies do unethical/unsustainable practices to meet those expectations.

It's sad. The Jews (let's be honest, most of the big finance names end in Stein and berg) reap the rewards and letting the government pick up the aftermath. Unethical behavior like I mentioned above comes from the pressure at the top at the very least if not put into place by the top.

And when the market corrects the swoop in like vultures picking up the good stuff at a discount that will payoff in a decade or so when markets rebound.
Legit angry

blaming the jews worked when everyone else was a devout christian or muslim who were forbidden from charging interest,

now everyone owns stock in financial institutions.

Guess who owns those financial institutions :^)

>tfw you have a under 400 credit score because you fucked up

alright, out with it, what did you do?

Lexus gs/is/es 350
All can be found for cheaper than 40k used.

shareholders? pension funds?

Because humans typically don't learn from shit like that until forced and even then some dumb fuck will do it again

Years behind on student loans, lots of medical stuff that's gone to collections, credit that's gone to collections, utilities shut off and gone to collections, and at one point I was a year behind on my mortgage.

I'm trying to fix it. I'm caught up on the house and trying to make good on the rest.

why not declare bankruptcy and start over desu?

Jews you dip

>why not declare bankruptcy and start over desu?
If you remember the Bush economic downturn years, there were plenty of people going bankrupt and running away from debt and corporations and institutions were unhappy. Bush agreed that it was unfair that individuals would run out on debt and hurt many people (corporations, banks) so bankruptcy laws were modified to make it harder to run away as some debts are persistent. Furthermore, court ordered debts cannot be avoided and some other contracts you can sign which give up your "right" to avoid certain debts. It's pretty complicated now. The founding fathers would be sad at all the changes made against individuals to benefit the wealthy. In their time that was the nobility, vassals, royalty, their institutions, and the king.

Any Mercedes from the C Class and up.

Can't afford that new? Then you shouldn't be buying new at all.
In that case, go for what the other faggots said. Lexus is a much safer choice, used, than Mercedes, which seems to smell a new owner and immediately starts failing.

Makes me sad.
Where can I move that won't trample my rights and enjoys cars?

Trucks gets expensive real quick if you aren't careful, especially with HD models.

nepal