Stupid questions thread

Would it be possible to create an engine with no rubber parts? (seals, gaskets, belts etc)

also general stupid questions thread

metal gaskets, chains and seals.
You'll have to use varying metals and it will raise cost and weight and it will shake itself to pieces faster so there you go

I just got my first manual car and my friend showed me how to drive a little bit.

I noticed my car has a very small first gear and I get high revs quickly and without going too fast. Am I able to just start it off in second gear, when I'm at a stoplight/stopsign? I hate having to go into first then immediately into second while turning.

That's just how first gear is with high gearing. You should be shifting into 2nd at about 5mph. If you're moving at all already, like almost stopped but a light turns green, just drop it into 2nd.

would you swap rubber for teflon or something similar?
or does it have to be 100% metal?

>a very small first gear
It's described as "short", btw, I experienced the same in learners Toyota Yaris II.
You can start in second if you can do that smoothly but relatively quick and the road is flat at least. Because you are still learning, I'd recommend to behave typically unless you want to burn the clutch. Have fun, I hope you won't get bored with manual like I've gotten.

i have 2 canners, one with a rubber gasket and one steel on steel with clamps

one is twice the weight and triple the price, guess which?

Pumps have been using ceramic seals fir years, but they are incredibly sensitive to debris and will burn up if run dry at all. So possible? Of course, feasible? No

What modifications would you suggest to make a car like a Rally car?

>fwd
>hatchback

Hit the amount of turn you need then hold with left hand and jam in 2nd. Staying in 1st and starting in 2nd are both weird. Just keep getting the hang of it.

Don't make a rally car, make a kanjo racer

> have low powered but light weight and maneuverable car
> go full throttle on sweeping Highway or touge safely
> have fun unlike most of Veeky Forums

I live in Texas, I can't race on the highways in something like that because slow. And making a Rally car would be different. Since I don't have to have 700hp to have fun without constantly getting shit on everywhere I go.

Google patents adhesive for front of cars to minimize pedestrian injuries.

Can't make this shit up.

Sure its possible. Just RTV the shit out of everything.

no, i mean nothing but metal (or ceramic i guess) used for everything

Just look at the rulebooks of some amature ralyes and build it like that. In generell you want higher and softer suspension and some protection for the oil pan, tranny and engine

>Am I able to just start it off in second gear, when I'm at a stoplight/stopsign?

Depends on what engine and what gear ratio.

I know most of the rules, I meant aesthetics.

well we don't know the rules though do we you idiot?
> I meant aesthetics.
Just itasha your shit up senpai.

If there's snow and ice where you live, starting in second can sometimes be easier.

Shifting should soon become second nature and you won't notice it. Keep using first gear.

what engine is this?

TRD 4a-ge 20v

thats a 16v. 20v's have different curvier and plastic valve covers. Also the distributor mounted there gives it away as being a 16v 4age.

I think it already exists, a 2t engine, except for head engine seal and some others gasket, doesn't have any rubber part.

My brother said not to buy shitboxes that have a replaced or swapped engine because "it'll have a ton of problems".

Is there any truth to that?

Most people are idiots and an engine swap is an involved job, so, yes.

Thanks user

>2nd at 5mph

Why don't people redline in 1st

I've hill started in 3rd so I don't see why not

it's so you can do hill starts without stalling dingus.

metal gaskets and steel braided lines you knob.

What do you think is inside the steel braided lines?

You shouldn't unless facing downhill or already rolling.

Starting in second will wear your clutch more and lugging the engine is really bad for it and the trans.

Just learn to start in 1st. All cars have extremely short 1st gears. You will get used to it.

For rally cross you don't need anything, just tires. But probably should get a rally suspension.
For actual rally you'll want suspension, cage, and fuel cell.

>make a kanjo racer
you mean a regular street/track car? I want weebs to leave.

CORK GASKETS NAO

teflon

Why would you ever redline if you're not racing/driving spiritedly? Just extra wear and tear.

Why don't cars with power steering have an option to disable it (or if those cars exist, why isn't a widespread feature)?

It wears your clutch a bit more, so I wouldn't do it unless you're stopped on a downhill or already moving. First on my car is 10mph or 15mph if going up a hill then I do second.

Because normies don't need that. Cars are marketed to normies.

a car with its power steering turned off will not handle like a car that never had power steering in the first place
the complete steering rack is built with power steering in mind, mechanical advantages included

Yes, you just have to machine everything to perfection. Rolls Royce once built motors without head gaskets.