College Majors

What is the Veeky Forums ranking of majors from a financing perspective? In other words, what are the best majors for someone who wants to become a banker, businessman, economist etc.?

I vote accounting, because that's what I'm doing.

Economics is super simple. My future ex-wife has a masters degree in economics. Unfortunately she's only found work tutoring economics. She's getting her PHD next, because it's supposedly required to get work being an "economist." I'm not going to say I disagree with her, but I don't see it as being the most lucrative business degree. The highest math utilized in PHD economics is apparently calc III? 8 years of school in a supposed math/logic oriented science without going beyond multi-variable calculus seems insane to me.

I'm not really sure what they teach in finance, but I'd imagine a portion of it (the larger part) would be built through research and experience, rather then education.

Accounting, because of all of it's anal discipline (not hard, just rules and framework), seems like the best option to enter the corporate end of business. At least if you don't make mistakes, earn your CPA/CMA, and act diligent, you should be working towards something prosperous. There's also a decent demand for accountants considered how imperative it is in modern business to have some sort of accountant, even if outsourced to a firm.

I won't chime in too hard on "business" degrees. I've seen alot of em, and I don't have much hope for those gentlemen.

>Future ex wife
Unless you have a prenup you better prepare your anus.

Philosophy major reporting in, ask me anything.

Data science/machine learning/statistics/comp sci will give you more applicable skills than Econ or business or whatever. The majors I listed can be applied just about everywhere

I'll keep that in mind

Kneepadding much?

I would like fries with my order.

1. Computer Science
2. Business/Entrepreneurship
and then u can just learn finance on your own

looks like an action potential

why is comp eng unbelievable tier

Are you studying or have you graduated? If it's the former, where do you plan on going after graduation? If it's the latter, what do you do for a living?

What about trades?

I'm not even in the Business world, but from my research, definitely Accounting.

Started off as a marketing major then switched to accounting because I realized that I would have more options in that field. I started off liking accounting, but now I fucking hate it. I kinda just want to switch to business admin, but I'm scared I won't be able to find any good jobs after I'm done with school.

JUST

Have you pursued or do you plan on pursuing an understanding in calculus and statistics? If not, why not?

I'm of the mindset, that if you don't like accounting, you probably won't love business, at least not the way it's typically played out. If you hate it that much, maybe you should've gone away from business.
How long have you been in school?

4 years. I should have graduated by now, but I did part schooling for a long time.

I'm still a junior and I'm only 22, but damn I feel old as shit.

>tfw writing major

>what are the best majors for someone who wants to become a banker
Almost anything as long as you've got a degree (preferably from an impressive school with an impressive GPA) and a basic understanding of financial theories, economics, and accounting.

>businessman
Too vague to answer.

>economist
Maths with some econ or econ with lots of maths.

Arguably, best business school majors are accounting, finance, econ, operations management, strategy, and (business) analytics if you're looking for lucrative expert field jobs (such as consulting at a revered house).

amen. i just started my first semester this year after going to vocational school. turns out that waiting ended up making things shitty for me since i didnt end up getting an advantage by going to vocational school.

am i retarded?

Why cant I retire with $200,000? Every time I bring it up people call me insane

>buy a one story house in rural midwestern America for $30,000-50,000
>decent used truck for $20,000
>have about $100,000 to spend on food, taxes, repairs, etc for the rest of your life

If I live frugally and assuming I don't kill myself from boredom in the small town, what am I missing? Seems really possible, and I am a frugal guy as it is.

>100,000 to spend for the rest of your life.

A general rule of thumb when drawing down savings with no other income is to keep your spending rate between 3% and 4%.

This would give you a yearly spending capacity of $3k to $4k per year.

Will $250 - $350 a month cover all of your expenses?

Some mix of business, economics AND! computer science.

Each one alone might make you employable, but I have noticed that for example, pure computer science goys tend to trust their numbers too much and know too little about economics to identify potential systematic errors. Also, they are not so good at the soft skills game.

The opposite might be true about business majors. They may have a good general grasp of business but they could hold beliefs that wouldn't be confirmed by quantitative analysis but they lack the skills to execute said analysis.

STEM+Mainstream Business major

Best of both worlds.

Want to work in finance, now you can also be a quant.
Want to be an economist, you already learnt all of the math.
Want to do accounting, well idk, doesn't really help you out there.

So an economics + computer science/math double degree would be ideal?

Yeah.

Yes.

Math, CS are good with anything and the ECE engineerings are good for those wanting to work in trading because all that shit is just transfer of information adn electricity so they like to hire them because they understand all that shit

Pretty much. It's a very number - heavy route to take though, so if you want to actually start, run or expand a business it'll be useful to learn that kind of stuff elsewhere or just take business instead of economics. But otherwise that combo is golden and can be used in a ton of areas

Depends. If you live in Australia, you can make phenomenal bank through working a trade, simply because they're in massive demand. Not sure about North America, Europe or Britain, but judging from the disrespect they get on Veeky Forums, I'd guess that they're ranked pretty low.

>Economics is super simple
says the accounting guy kek

I have a masters in econ too and got offered two university teaching positions (both 60k+) and a few other random jobs including banking and whatnot. I settled on being a quant (if you even want to call it that for what I do) for a finance firm because mo money.

>She's getting her PHD next, because it's supposedly required to get work being an "economist."
Yeah, this is true. Though, a lot of PhDs end up back in academia only teaching undergrad classes so their advanced chops get dull over time essentially to the level of masters degree. I had one PhD professor in econ who didn't even know you can get a refund on a tariff you paid if you're an importer.

The highest math utilized in PHD economics is apparently calc III?
Sounds about right. Def more stats based than math based I'd say.

>8 years of school in a supposed math/logic oriented science without going beyond multi-variable calculus seems insane to me.
Hit the nail on the head. Econ is a social science (and a psuedoscience at that). There isn't even any point in having a religion because your economic outlook is now your religion. It's that dogmatic and entrenched in the "science" aspect of it too.

>I won't chime in too hard on "business" degrees. I've seen alot of em, and I don't have much hope for those gentlemen.
Business aka I'm too stupid to do finance aka I'm too stupid to do econ aka I'm too stupid to do STEM aka I didn't just go balls deep and study advanced mathematics so I settled on "business management" (whatever that even means). You're right lad, no hope for these fellas.

Just started at MSU, going into supply chain. Rate me, fellas. Will I make it out ok?

> Banker
3.8 in something vaguely mathy
> Businessman
no degree, or any degree, or literally some kind of negative degree
> Economist
Economics, and than a PhD in Economics.

For someone with a masters in econ you sure are critical of the science...

It's a pseudoscience and is the very fucking definition of the pretense of knowledge. Sorry m8.

Want to know the sad truth? I have an MBA too with a concentration in economics kek.

I'm Majoring in Combined Business Administration and Political Science with a minor in Economics. Am I doomed to unemployment?

poli sci isnt what u think it is.

It's not just arguing why marxism is bad/good or whatever you argue about with your friends.

So.....does that mean I'll have money for food when I leave college?

no, not at all.

If you want to do a business major, do one that actually pays money.

Accounting or Finance, as you read earlier in the thread to be an "economist" you need a PhD, you can get work with an economics degree but its the same work as a finance can do basically.

If you could rewind everything back to when you were deciding your major but with your current knowledge, what would you choose? I'm guessing not economics kek

I want to a business major and political science as well. Partly because i'm looking to open a school up in a third world country (american degrees are looked upon highly there) where I can profit off of that country's rich families by offering US-quality education, and also because I need to build capital and would like a comfy lobbying job or something similar. I don't necessarily want to work in economics, but I feel that a minor would help round out my resume. Is this a decent plan, or have I deluded myself into thinking I'll do any of these things? I seriously need advice. This is the last year I can switch my major. On a side note, I don't want to work in accounting or finance unless the job is like financial analyst or something. Accounting and finance seem like glorified wagecucking with extra soul-suckiness.

What capital?
What experience teaching?
Do you have a PhD? No. Who is going to pay for the profs and lecturers you import?
Even if somehow you had the money, what's going to convince U.S lecturers to come over to Somalia.
If you mean High school level, where are you going to get high school teaches and how are you going to pay them?

I think a business major isn't for you.

Hey man, I never said accounting was hard. I'm only arguing that it's a better entrance into business than most degrees under the business realm. Economics surely has more math involved, and I wouldn't doubt that the 300 level courses are more difficult than these 200 level ones are. I like economics and respect it for a science. I just don't think the world demands as many economists as it does accountants. That seems like an extremely competitive field of work, with little to no fall back options except for teaching.

I'd love to invest my time in learning higher math. It's applying it that becomes most difficult. Not too many jobs that lurk outside of engineering and require math above calculus. Statistics feels like it has similar issues to the ones I outlined in economics. The market is competitive and small, requiring far more than a degree with some work-experience to play.

I think I'll invest my time in math later, but for now I need to hammer out the required accounting footwork so that I can pad my resume with relevant work-experience.

George Soros studied philosophy.

So, hear me out Veeky Forums, I'm about to walk away from 4ish years of college with a BA in Psychology with a minor in Japanese BUT I'll also have a certificate in Computer Information Systems. I know a decent amount of 3 Programming languages and I can hold a conversation. Am I fucked?

Don't try to make bank by building/running a university. It's a massive investment and will take a while to come back to you. Do something more realistic that will get you the capital necessary to build a high-quality college and keep it on the side until it becomes profitable.

Go to law or business school.

>COLLEGE MAJORS

>tfw German studies
>5th year
>acct minor
Should I just end it? Or take an extra year to get the b.acc.

How difficult are computer science programs in Germany?

Making $300k /year through marketing.

It's not that impressive when you put it in USDs

BTFO

Why is everyone saying engineering is god tier? Its stable, but only stable and they work you like dogs.

Good luck breaking 6 figures or any real advancement with just a bs. You have a chance with a ms, but you still prob won't make it past mid manager unless you are talented.

Gotta take a buinsess minor or double major to get ahead.

lol thank you for that top kek

I'm feeling very bad about my degree
Doing Business Major with Economics but I'm not sure how employable I will be afterwards. The course also seems kinda easy and I feel like I can do better.

>military
>shit tier

It's a bad job for a lot of reasons but money isn't one. Your piddly $20k income is 100% disposable. You have free food, free housing, transportation depends on the post, but it's usually possible to bum rides.

I don't know how all Americans seem to do majors at once. Studying for one major takes me 45 hours a week. Add to that working a part time job, cooking, working out etc, there is no time to do another 45 hours.

>Gotta take a buinsess minor or double major to get ahead.
well that's the general idea, STEM + MBA is indeed a very good combo
or alternatively if you're really capable, just start your own business after your STEM schooling

Is it true that the UK you can go into banking, especially IB, with pretty much any degree? I read about people who studied history, art or english and are now working for banks like Goldman Sachs.

However, I'm currently in my first year of aerospace engineering (god tier kek) but somehow got more interested into business. Is a degree in economics worth it? In my country it's not as easy as in the UK to step into banking and people will except some kind of economic related degree (mostly economics or business administration).

>20k for a used truck
is this some "america only" deal or sth, people get 1-2 year old mercedes or a brand new mini for that money.
Most people buy cars for 2k-3k MAX

I can even get a used truck for under 1000€ here. It's nothing great but drives and has a lot of storage room.

Because theyre glorified EE majors

>German studies

Lmfao why do ppl do this

yes, its true. how good your grades are are important, where you went to school is important, what you studies is less important since every bank has a training program to teach you the shit you need anyway.

Mech. eng reporting in

I still will never be rich or happy because autism

please kill me

I have heard this field has a lot of demand so probably but I don't see a lot of room for mad money just a very boring decent salary for your whole life. Its the real workhorse of business though, you clock in and really get shit done, no office banter or crap.

As you can tell nobody knows what you do since nobody replied, get used to answering questions about "WTF is logistics? You sell chains?"

Your school is probably more intense. I never knew anyone who studied 45 hours weekly, probably 6 hours weekly per class x 4 would be 24 hours.

They do but they are just looking for any genius or major league academic badass because they are greedy like that. I think for a normie just getting a finance+econ mix works.

If you are pulling a 4.0 fuck yeah, do history.

who petrol engy here?

s-sure is god tier up here haha..

Dunno where you live, but in Brazil they hire Engineer graduates rather than economics

Where is games design?

Yes, as long as you get amazing GPA and going to a top tier school helps as well.

Why would you prefer engineers for banking?

Anyone premed and interested minoring in business? Took economics, p easy. Took accounting, surprisingly difficult. I assumed it was just like any other simple math course but I was wrong :/

In germany I can pretty much decide between:
>business administration (BWL)
>economics (VWL)
What's better for a carreer? We have more specific stuff like accounting, finance etc too but none of those are offered in normal state universities but only in private business schools which most people don't like.

>>have about $100,000 to spend on food, taxes, repairs, etc for the rest of your life
this is a joke right?

Hab zwar nicht arg viel Ahnung davon, würde aber davon ausgehen, dass man mit einem VWL Abschluss mehr Geld machen kann. Zum einen gibts extrem viele BWLer (also eine große Konkurrenz) und es ist eigentlich grundsätzlich so, dass man bei mathelastigen Fächern mehr Geld macht. Also VWL > BWL

Can anyone answer this: (I can see the Germans are here)

It's so low nobody can see it.

On average they do more study hours than any other bachelors, and because bankers are trained by their bank it doesn't really matter what degree you did so they pick the most hardworking kids.

Also, quantitative ability and ability to wrap your head around concepts that are a bit harder than your typical business graduate would would also be useful.

I would imagine specifically with analyst and risk positions it would be useful because of their math and maybe programming skills if they are SoftE/CS sand maybe even CE

While they may not get as much respect, it's still pretty lucrative, hell driving trucks makes 50k+ a year.

I got a meme general business degree for my 4-year, worked a few years and am now back in school for a masters in accounting. Is there a decent range of opportunity ahead of me outside of 80hr/week public accounting?

>tfw studying Computer Engineering
Can anyone please tell me why my career is so fucking praised everywhere I look? We don't even study that much math.

>god-tier
>tfw still haven't found a job in my field of study after 2 years of graduating

Fucking kill me already

Am physics major w/ business minor.
Am I fucked?

How good would a major in International Business be?

Depends on what you make it. Of course you will not be getting 100k+ a year entry jobs but it's healthy.

And for some reason lots of people in accounting suck IB majors constantly, which I don't really get considering the weight their major has compared to a near meme major

t. international business major

Just go learn a second language and get a useful degree

yes

I'm this guyIB is a meme degree that will get you nowhere, take my word for it.

Sounds like your wife has an MA. I work in a data analytics role and know several people in other departments with Econ degrees. I only have a bachelor's.

If you focus on the quantitative aspect of economics it actually can get pretty difficult. Of course if she's just been taking bullshit fluff courses that you take for a BA/MA then of course she's going to have a hard time finding work.

ive considering getting a master in finance or accounting though, it's too fucking late to change my major as I've already done it and my parents told me they wouldn't pay for it

at least my school has some convenience with PwC though

employers don't actually really care what classes you took right? don't they just look at the degree name?

>law in meh tier
>120k + bonus starting as a first year in any bigly firm

top kek
keep believing you're gonna be the next Zuckerberg with your CS / CE degree

top kek

>120k + bonus starting as a first year in any bigly firm
The thing is that it's REALLY hard to get into a good firm. Most people will drop out or will end up earning average starting salarys

In 2016 it's the same in all fields

You HAVE to graduate with 3.7+, good references /CV in any competitive field to get the top jobs at V5 firms, whatever your field is.

Mathematics on its own is good tier at best.

>Computer Engineer
>Unbelievable tier
y tho

I am planning on going into Web Development as a Computer Science and Technology major, is it worth it?

Law is still pretty meh because its a total lotto. IF you get top 10% LSAT, IF you place in top 10% of class, IF you get into T15, IF you catch the eye of a senator who went to your school, IF you clerk. A lot of this is also skill but I am just saying the salaries are entirely elitist.

To be fair to you though I have heard top level salaries at Big Law are up 20000 bucks.

So for that reason I think it might be worth a shot I am legit feeling like spending the next 3 months doing mad prep and seeing if I can crush the LSAT and go from there because I am bored.

The entire IDEA of Law is pretty interesting to me, I would actually seriously enjoy waking up at 6AM going to work at 7:30, busting my ass until 6:30. Maybe its because I have been underworked for so long but it sounds challenging to have new clients and missions, scouring the worlds information to win the case and then the thrill it must be to win a big case.

Yep