Brakes

Brake thread?
How good are your brakes?
When was the last time you checked them?
Have you ever had a brake failure?

Truck is at 100% since the old ones were dragging like hell when I got it. New master cylinder, calipers, pads and flex lines.

D is at 40% with mild rotor warp that will all get replaced this summer

All bikes are at 90% or better with fresh fluid.

Jumped the gun, had one failure on a bike on a long steep mountain descent, boiled the rear brake and went for a hell of a ride for the last 1/4 mile since front brakes would be suicide on the loose rocks

>rotor warp
Hate this
>warped rotor
>replace with brand new
>warps again in a week.
Fml

The material quality has gone to shit in the last few decades. You get oe spec or better?

>put new pads on two weeks ago
>rotors seemed to be in good condition
>now they squeak because of having such a low tolerance
Thanks bmw

Usually just whatever O'Reillys has with lifetime warranty

the master cylinder on my old shitbox had failed on me and I was still driving it around town for like a week before I was able to go to the junkyard and find a new one. I developed a system where I always had enough space in between me and the next car since it took me like a football field's distance to come to a complete stop.

I don't have that car anymore though but damn was it fun driving it.

O'Reillys has some cheap shit with lifetime warranty though, try to find stuff rated over oe spec or go to napa/autozone.
I've had all kinds of trouble with oriellys hardware over the years.

>Brake thread?
I'd prefer a bake thread.
>How good are your brakes?
Damn good.
>When was the last time you checked them?
Last time I used them?
>Have you ever had a brake failure?
Yes, on my old car. Brakes seized, and because of loltorque I didn't notice. Then it got worse. THEN the brakes caught fire and cooked the system, and I noticed.
Ended up having to replace the front brake lines, pads, one caliper, and all the brake fluid.

Maybe... Maybe the problem is your driving? Or the fitment?

my brakes are so weak that braking with an engine is more feasible

i have 6 piston brembos

Here's the brake fluid from the truck when I did an initial flush

>daily is fine
>mustang has never had brake fluid replaced, pads and shoes are god knows how old, still running original rubber brake hoses
>literally can't even lock the wheels up
WAKEMEUP

>Brake thread?
ok

>How good are your brakes?
they're ok, but you have to push the pedal down fairly far compared to the car I drove before I got this one but they stop the car effectively

>When was the last time you checked them?
when I bought the car about a month ago
discs and pads could do with changing fairly soon, along with the tyres

I'm still debating if I should get the wheels refurbished, so I would want to change the discs and brakes as the wheels are off getting refurbished and new tyres being put on them
and then the wheels would need balancing

>Have you ever had a brake failure?
nope

Tits or gtfo

Bought a new car and the brakes all the way around are trashed, especially the fronts. The rotors are glazed, gouged, and have a massive lip but they don't squeal. Bought some Meyle rotors and Bosch pads for the front so we'll see how much stopping is improved tomorrow night. Plan to do the backs in the near future too. I've lost brakes too, fun times

>early morning drive to the gym
>come to red light and begin to lightly apply brakes
>foot goes to the floor
>rip parking brake and squeal to a halt in a parking lot at 4 AM
>drive home with hazards on with a clenched anus
Refilled and bled the system and I never lost fluid again. Don't have the car anymore but I do miss it

>wanting to see my hairy mantits
Faggot.
Also that's my wife holding the bottle

Brakes from my old car before being replaced. It had been sitting for a year and seized to shit, had to replace two calipers and all pads/rotors

>how are my brakes?
Shitty, no pressure, pull to the left, possibly warped
>last time I checked them
Not once since I bought it
>have they failed?
Not yet but I wait for the day

Bretty good, but planning on new rotors+pads late next year.

Two weeks ago when i swapped to summer tires.

Yes, some debris damaged the rear right brake-hose on the highway once. Small leak, but lost about 80%+ braking power.

what are the symptoms of a warped rotor?

Car pulls to the right, front right tire smells hot after driving. Think it's the caliper, will test everything to be sure.

If it's the front your steering wheel vibrates when you apply brakes. If it's the rear your pedal pulsates. I think...

desu that sounds vague enough to be a lot of things

i guess that's why i hate diagnosing problems with my car

Drilled and slotted rotors on my Tundra installed last fall. They kick ass, can emergency stop a 5000 lb trailer from 80 to 0 without warping.

My (turbo) Miata has oversized Wilwood rotors for autocross. They are way overkill for the car, can't even faze them.
So yeah I got brakes

Caliper probably a shit.

No, that's usually indicative of warped rotors.

If there is enough material left (as measured and checked against spec) it can be machined. Sand down your pads on a flat bench with the sandpaper flat on the bench to even it out.

saab 9000: a wheel speed sensor is kaput, so abs does not work
saab 9-3. i have some funky gunk on a rotor, so get some vibration under hard breaking... need to clean and sand.

Past failures:
A brake line rusted away on a ram 1500 i had, luckily it gave out in the driveway.
on a 280xz i had i forgot to tighten the caliper bolts.. luckily it slipped on a back road. I was young and and not to bright.. so after coming to a stop i reached and touched the rotor and caliper. I have never since forgotten how brakes work.

Horrible. They are still super soft after replacing my front pads and rotors. I've bled that shit 3 times now.

>'99 pontiac trans am
>rotors: ACDelco Professional OEM replacement. blank rotors
>pads: AKEBONO Ultra Premium

10/10 brake feel. i've only cooked them once, stopping from 120+

What car?

Oreilly LT rotors are Bosch so are better than oe. Never go to autozone for anything if you care for your car, and napa is just overpriced shit from the same factory with a different label.

Most people get the good bosch rotors and skimp out on the brakes and dont even get ceramic. Then they come back and wonder why everything went fubar when they demanded the organics.

Also every single damn shop gets the cheapest pads available. That high end audi dealership you took your car to? Yeah it has masterpro suspension parts and organic pads cause fuck the customer thats why.
Wagners are a shit too.

>be me
>85 vovlo 240 mine
>buy new brakes
>huge brake leak
>duct tape it

its been working for 3 weeks now but waiting for it to fail

I recently replaced my front discs and pads on my E30, feels good man. The only upgrade I have is sleeved stainless lines, which did improve pedal stiffness a bit vs the 25 year old stock lines. I need to do my rear brakes next but there's still plenty of life left in the pads.

Fuck BMW for putting 11mm flares on these cars btw, I had to buy a whole new set of wrenches to get an 11mm flare wrench and they were still so seized that I wound up having to use a vice grip on a few of them.

Pulsing brake pedal is the best way to tell. Usually gets more noticeable after the brakes are hot from a hill or something.

Use triple a discounts or business accounts at Napa bruh.
I always go for one step below he best parts they have unless it's electrical then is only the best stuff a shop can get.
What is your reasoning behind disliking autozone? I've never gotten electrical stuff there yet but for hard parts they've been pretty good

mine squealed so god damn bad I bought new pads, turns out the old ones were still at like 80% so the new ones squeal just as bad

gonna try to bed them properly this time I guess, or be more liberal with the grease and try shims off some OE pads

Get new caliper mounting hardware and sand the areas of contact on the caliper and pad backing that's got any rust or corrosion on it and grease the shit out of it all.

Wtf nigga! Fix your shit before you kill someone

Is it safe to drive without these installed?

Yeah. Your brakes might chatter though

Thanks for the info. i'm missing one and apparently nobody makes them for my car any more even the dealer says NLA

Gotta find a scrap yard one.

Just swapped my Tacoma brakes for tundra brakes. They're beefy as all hell its gonna be sweet next time I hit the desert

Wife's tits or gtfo

Is that from a Volvo? It looks familiar.
This, let's see them.

>how good
super good right after I adjust them
honestly I spend too much time getting the tolerances and threshold just right

>last time I checked
when ever the road is empty I brake at random in different ways just to see what they are doing with how they engage and balance

>ever had a brake failure
(not on my car)
cable actuated drum on the front
headed down hill towards an intersection
cable snaps and lever goes limp
tfw
>lucky I still had the back brake and a bit of room

dd crown vic
>brakes are gud
>check em every time i pull my car in the shop
>warped the shit out of my old rotors at an autox event because i was stupid and ran my stock dd

I miss my 240. Suddenly lost fluid one time only as chronicled

Used to work there, hated it. I had a timing belt snap at mid throttle and bend 3 valves, it was only 2 weeks old.