Preowned high milage electric worth it?

Here's what i'm looking at.
2012 CHEVROLET VOLT PRICED TO SELL FAST

VIN: 1G1RA6E40CU112340
condition: like new
cylinders: 4 cylinders
drive: fwd
fuel: electric
odometer: 182500 ( I checked out the car today: the mileage says 189,000)

THIS IS A TWO OWNER NO ACCIDENT 2012 CHEVROLET VOLT HIGHWAY DRIVEN HAVE ALL SERVICE RECORDS SINCE NEW WITH 182,000 MILES (I PERSONALLY DRIVE IT EVERYDAY AND I LOVE IT NO GAS FEELS GOOD TO HELP SAVE THE EARTH!!!!) NEW BRAKES, TUNE UP, ALL SERVICE RECORDS AND I'M GM CERTIFIED TECH SO BUY WITH CONFIDENCE ALSO HAVE 120V CHARGER SO YOU CAN PLUG IT INTO ANY 120V OUTLET IN YOUR HOUSE, HAS NEW TIRES, ALL SERVICE RECORDS UP TO DATE. OIL JUST CHANGED, AND MAINTENANCE ALIGNMENT. CAR RUNS AND DRIVES LIKE NEW COME AND SEE FOR YOURSELF.

My main concerns are Whats the life expectancy on these ev batteries and how much will they cost. would it be all worth it, I've also been told you can get tax credits for driving eco friendly cars *hybrids*

Don't be a moral fag, you're doing more damage to the earth by mining the lithium. Not sure what batteries are in it, but assuming the cells are 18650s like in the Tesla one of those cells is supposed to last 30 full discharges until it loses capacity. In other words buy a used Honda fit or even an aveo/sonic if you want something cheap and for dd

>189,000
Pass

"Don't be a moral fag"

Not doing it for the environment. Doing it to save money.

just noticed.
Probably would help If i had posted list price....

$6995

Don't do it. Just finance a low mileage used one for like 15k. By that mileage the batteries aren't as good as they once were and it probably needs its suspension rebuilt.

>4 year old car
>189,000 miles
So literally over 45,000 miles a year? What the fuck?

this
volts are about as hard to kill as a prius and if your commute is short you basically don't have a gas bill anymore, and electricity is CHEEP

yeah i said the same thing. that's about 130 miles a day. must of have been some shitty commute to work.

My travels are mainly in town only, i only live 2 miles from work. but i might be getting transferred and its only 6 more miles away. I tried biking it, kinda sucked...

If they had to drive that much it's no wonder why they wanted that kind of car. I still think it's way too many miles though.

you could look for one at lower mileage...
that said, try getting them to fully charge it then test drive it to see what the estimated range looks like in mild driving, it might drop really fast indicating the battery has been through too many charge cycles and is losing its edge

>4 cylinders
>FWD
>almost 200,000 miles
>"""""highway driven"""""

Unless it's like $3500, don't you dare buy it.

to be honest 189k on the highway is fuck all.
city and country work is way more stressful on a car

There is nothing wrong with FWD for the vast majority of sedans though. Unless you live in an area with snowy winters, or have a truck or SUV, you do not need RWD or AWD.

Yeah I've look most of them are out of my price range 10k+ at 30,000- 50000 miles

But in between running into stop-and-go congested traffic, and those distances between the freeway and your actual destination, the car still probably spent a good amount of time on surface streets. Unless the person actually lived right off an an exit, and worked off an exit too.

What's wrong with $10k? Are you paying cash? If so you could just make a large down payment and finance the rest.

After digging I saw in some reviews the batteries could last 300,000 miles or 20 years all depending on conditions / environments.
SAFT is claiming 20 years calendar life, and A123 is claiming 15 years and 7000 cycles at 100% charge-discharge (DOD)! That is almost 20 years of 100% charge discharge.

A123 batteries will last 3000 recharges before dropping to 70% of capacity. So that is 3000/365 years if you fully discharge every day.

A123 says 7000 cycles at 100% depth-of-discharge (Volt only uses ~50% DOD) at 25C before dropping to 80% of initial capacity. At 60C, they say 1000 cycles (100% DOD)

as for the price of replacing the battery its self, I'm looking at anywhere between $1500-$3000

>those distances between the freeway and your actual destination
about 5 miles there and 5 miles back? 5 times a week for 4 years?
stop and go traffic in a hybrid? not really a problem is it?

if you're THAT strapped for cash...
keep in mind you'll need to get a 240v charger installed in your garage, usually costs around $2000 since a certified electrician needs to run another line from the street to your garage and stuff. Otherwise your charge times will be like 12 hours on 120v

really it's a bargain but act like a cunt and offer him 5k

Never built credit/ never want to. (living this sort of live is never going to get me anywhere)
I live by cash.

Tried he won't budge on the price.

nothing wrong with credit if you're gonna do something with your cash that's more profitable than paying interest.
multibillion dollar businesses were built on using credit intelligently.
if you're planning on keeping this car a while get it, the mileage matters less.
don't worry about it being worn out. most age related bills will be suspension etc so just test it and if it feels nice and tight get it.
try some low mileage examples and see if you notice a difference.

>odometer: 182500

Why would you ever?

At that mileage it will have been, quick google search shows replacement packs going for 1500-2000 bucks

That mileage is high for any used car. These cars are super reliable but they're too new to determine what a good max mileage for a used one is. Check the lifetime fuel economy. If it's less than 45 mpg that means it was a fleet car and likely wasn't well taken car of by it's drivers. I'd skip it anyways because that odometer is too high. I own a 2013 btw.

Alright Thanks for the input Everyone. I'll probably steer clear. Unless i can try again and talk him down on the price.

one other thing how accurate is KBB, I hear its no longer reliable.

Fair market range $5,860 - $8,935
suggested retail price $7,892

2 grand for a full replacement pack? that's actually not bad. no idea how complex the replacement is
he might get away with a refurbish, that's what you do with prius batteries (just take out the few bad lipo cells which are dragging down the rest of the pack)

>lithium mining is bad meme

it can be anywhere from squeaky clean to horribly deadly depending on your safety standards.
here is a helpful guide
>lithium mining in china? "what's an EPA? Just dumb that production waste in a river. Fuck poor people downstream"
>lithium mining everywhere else? "hey let's practice basic safety and environmental protection"

The volt uses Li-ions, not Lifepo4 A123 cells. Try find a 15 year old li-ion cell with 7000 cycles on it that still holds a charge, not going to happen.

>a certified electrician needs to run another line from the street to your garage and stuff

uh no. OP likely already has a 240v subpanel or the main panel in his garage. It would be the same as adding a hot tub or welding plug into the panel. Pretty easy.

240v in ones garage isn't that common, but yes it's worth checking to see if he has it already, also worth reading up on the electrical code for his state with regards to ev chargers. The code is there for a reason, mostly preventing people from burning their house down making a simple wiring mistake

Also a lot of states will help you pay to have a 240v outlet installed or give you a tax discount for getting one.

See if you can get it for $5k. Cash in hand has a tendency to change people's minds.

240 is not to hard in most USA houses. The water heater and electric heat use 240 so if he had either all he needs to do is add an extra 240 branch at his panel.

yep it's a steal at that price, the car could do double that mileage no problem

I already have a spare line ready to hook up. so setting up the 240 Charging dock for the car will not be an issue.

shops closed for the weekend but i plan on going in on Monday and throwing down a price and if he doesn't take it then its what ever.

but i definitely don't want to get it then next 2 years from now having to spend 2k on a new battery.