/emugen/ - Emulation General

emulation.gametechwiki.com/

Read the General problems FAQ before asking questions. If you still need help, post your specs (speccy screenshot), OS, emulator version number and details of what's wrong.

emulation.gametechwiki.com/index.php/General_problems_FAQ

Please contribute to the wiki if you discover any inaccuracies or have relevant information to append.

Other urls found in this thread:

github.com/Alcaro/minir
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

inb4 drama

>tune into #retroarch and find out yourself
ok byuu

>muh makefile
>endrift is such a cunt!

>reCAPTCHA
> but no - we have to add bullshit liek C++14 and whatever garbage she can think of
> so I’d rather go the complete hard fork then
> and of course tons of autist reasons for not wanting a GL renderer

SP is generally a nice and welcoming guy as long as you didn't come to bitch at him

>SP is generally a nice and welcoming guy as long as you suck his dick

FTFY

I can't figure out CMake, it's so much easier to do "make -j5" on static makefile.

There really is no reason to go GL now if one isn't already using it. it's dead tech, the API is abandoned. Soon it won't even be supported.

>tfw you want to write yet another libretro frontend
i want out of this ride

Are you retarded? GL is going to be around for a long time and all older hardware that doesn't support Vulkan will need it anyway.

OGL has better backwards compatibility, you won't need any Vulkan features for PS1 emulation anyway

>GL is going to be around for a long time
Why?

>older hardware that doesn't support Vulkan will need it anyway.
Made to be deprecated.

>OGL has better backwards compatibility,
No shit since Vulkan doesn't support OGL, that's the only way it would have any backwards compatibility.

There's plenty of room for more libretro frontends that can do things in ways that RetroArch cannot.

>it's dead tech
You know people still write fixed function GL code right? The programmable pipeline was introduced 12 years ago and people still write fixed function code.
I agree Vulkan is the future but it ain't replacing GL overnight.

No sense in writing code for an API that will be dead in 5 years when you can write code for an API that will be alive in 5 years

Nigga just because it will stop evolving doesn't mean it'll be dead. People will still be using GL in 10 years from now, trust me. At some point the GL drivers will probably be rewritten using Vulkan itself.

I hear people saying Adobe Flash is dead since 2007 and there's still plenty of Flash around the internet.

Check your Vulkan privilege.

CMake and make don't do the same job, despite the similar names. CMake is more like a configure script.

> in ways that RetroArch cannot
Like wut? Have you tried Minir?

> and of course tons of autist reasons for not wanting a GL renderer
What's wrong with sticking to software rendering? It has its advantages.

Is that the Russian Retroarch?

Are there any magic settings for playing Yakuza at high resolutions or is it just picking your poison and dealing with it?

Oh yeah, that's true, was thinking there was 2 buttons for some reason. But there's enough room for a selector in the top left, so you could still have it.

So what I took from last thread is that since Vulkan is a thing that devs are into these days, windows 7 is more viable than 10 if you just emulate shit, correct?

Will switching to Ishiiruka get rid of stuttering?

No, it's Alcaro's frontend.
github.com/Alcaro/minir

Correct, but again, if all you do is emulate, Linux would probably be more viable than Windows 7 if you don't have an AMD GPU

Yes, but you'll get invisible models for a split second instead.

Yeahh... that's the issue. I do have a 280x.

I never got invisible models in Ishiiruka, but I didn't get shader gen stuttering in Dolphin either.

What does this mean?

You played games with simple shaders that could be generated on your hardware in

Whats the best emulators for the N3DS? I plan on playing every system on that shit.

It's 2016's PSP for now.

SP has been a huge piece of shit to me since the moment he noticed me in IRC. I didn't even know who he was, and he was already PMing me and calling me a piece of shit. Fuck that guy, seriously.

Yeah but that becomes very cumbersome if you have to move the cursor away every time you want to change the tool. Maybe something with the duration of the press instead?

Your design is pretty cool though, what's it written in? If it's compileable it should be pretty easy to port to the actual console, there's no GPU or anything, just a 32x32bit memory mapped LCD.

> OpenGL won't even be supported soon
this is the most retarded post since retards came to retard town

Did you accidentally have the username "byuu"?

Make it so you have to hold the action button and then press the direction buttons to place different marks.

See if new GPUs support OGL in 5 years

>Did you accidentally have the username "byuu"?
No, not even close. Maybe he knew me from my emu work, maybe he had me confused for someone else. I still don't know. But he still pops in to give me shit occasionally. 100% cancer.

>Maybe something with the duration of the press instead?
Could work to. The max size you can fit is 8x8, so it's not like X is completely necessary anyway.
>Your design is pretty cool though, what's it written in?
paint.net

Never happened.

If so, mention your IRC nick, or else you're just resorting to slander.

Ah. Well I could try to port it for shit and giggles. But first I need to get my custom loader working so that I don't have to reflash everything every time I want to try something new.

Simias teach me Pocky Programming

Not the paint.net guy btw

Contributed to RetroArch for 1.5-2.0 years and never had any issue with him. I did see him shit on some people but they were all whiny users or guys wanting some hold handing to write their commercial-get-rich-quick frontends AFAIK.

sergio-br2: there's no way you're going to be able to merge this yourself
the infrastructure has changed too much
with GB support
this would break horribly
:/
so better you implement it yourself?
yes

>RA devs getting cucked

>never had any issue with him
That's good to hear. I'd prefer if he just had an issue with me rather than lashing out at any random folk.

I'm looking for NES games to play on my Vita's retroarch set-up.

What titles should I try out onto my Sony taco?

There really isn't a whole lot to know, it's a simple ARMv4/Thumbv1 CPU (ARM7TDMI, same CPU as the GBA AFAIK). You don't even need to bother with assembly, GCC and probably LLVM can target it easily.

For the rest the peripherals are so barebone that they're generally very easy to use, although they're also very limited. For instance there's no SPU, just a DAC connected to a CPU port basically. So if you want to output some sound you have to write each sample yourself at the correct time (no buffer or anything). Super CPU-intensive but it's good enough for basic noises. The LCD is directly mapped in memory so it's just one bit per pixel and you read/write it like RAM.

Really trivial stuff, the only tricky part is to get the code into the device I suppose. You need a way to upload saves to a memory card.

>You need a way to upload saves to a memory card.
arduino it, it's an easy protocol to speak

pocketstation has ridiculously good battery life for reasons i cannot explain

Does the N3DS have PSX and N64 emulation yet?

Will I need a flashcart or could I load games right from the SD card?

Kirby
Castlevania 1/3
Fire 'n Ice

Those are the only games I ever really enjoyed on the system.

Never

You only need a flashcart for NDS games.

Gun-Nac
Kirby's Adventure
Zelda
There's some really cool Mario hacks, try out Extra Mario Bros, Strange Super Mario Bros, and Mario Adventure.

>Never
but even the psp had n64 emulation
also i've seen some videos and psx emulation looks like it's coming along nicely

No$ mentions a hack using a parallel cable to wire the console as well. Although these days it might be less practical than a microcontroller...

I think the good battery life is because it's basically an ARM CPU and nothing else. And the CPU can be downclocked to run at less than 100kHz or even stopped completely and hibernate until an interrupt occurs. Since the games are so limited it's not like you're going to play them for 10 hours straight anyway.

I remember that back then I really wanted one, but they never got officially released outside of japan I think. Only yesterday did I manage to upload Chocobo World from my FFVIII save, 16 years later. In practice I would probably have been very disappointed with the device I think. If you ever owned a Dreamcast VMU it's basically as shitty as that except that the VMU also had terrible battery life.

The screen is way too small to do anything more than a tamagochi, there are only 5 buttons and they're really crappy and to top it all there's only 2KB of RAM which seems severely undersized to me for a portable console released in 1999 (that's a quarter of what the original gameboy had internally, not counting cartridge extensions).

It's closer to a fancy watch than a portable console...

Quick, which retroarch settings can help reduce input lag

SP is the icycalm of emulation, he's a sociopath who thinks he's doing important work to advance the mankind and a hypocrite at that
He's only civil with people he finds useful like those who contribute to retroarch according to his vision or those who share the same views on emulation and software as him
Even if you have nothing to do with him or his project or never go out of your way to upset him he's going to shit on you for good measure and if you do something against his moral principles aka selling out he's going to mention you in his every angry rant

I don't know if this is the right place to ask, but I have a model of PS3 that can't play PS2 games, and a PS2 game I'd quite like to play, does anyone know how I can make my PS3 play it?

Post logs

Early input polling?

Alright, here's the completed vision I had for PocketStation Picross.

I like love stories, so, what's your nickname?

Lies.

List some examples or STFU.

squarepusher killed my entire family

You need CFW to use the PS2Classics emulator.

SP is not a saint, but he at least is willing to build bridges..

You should be going after the real problematic people, not someone who just occasionally rants about certain individuals... Why are you not calling out the dev(s) who pit people against each other? Or the dev(s) that slander others?

What devs are you thinking about?
I only see SP ranting about others these days.

He's made some killer tracks.

is there a way to smooth out text in pcsx2 so it doesn't look like it's straight out of a ps1 game?

Why are you talking about yourself in third person again?

He built a bridge right from his foot to byuu's ass

And who exactly are you?

>Vita RA heap size increased from 128MB to 192MB

I'm feeling it.

Texture filtering, you'll go from blocky to blurry.

is there any point to Little King's Story PC, or should I just dolphin it?

Composite shader

Seems like it's a pretty bad port, may as well emulate it.

Why aren't you posting with a trip, byuu?

Oh no I've been spotted. Do you want to go out and eat my sushi SP? You can bring mudlord too.

>What devs are you thinking about?
>I only see SP ranting about others these days.
One of them I'd rather not mention, but even Byuu stooped low, when he claimed he could only think of 2 people that would impersonate him on stormfront..

I blame instigators for causing drama between certain devs. I'm also sick of famous devs being cut slack solely because of their achievements. Why shun some devs and cut slack for others?

The stories and information posted here are artistic works of fiction and falsehood.
Only a fool would take anything posted here as fact.

Do you have a feminine sushi?

I can't go in person but I'll summon a mudclone and join you.

Turtle better be somewhere in there

How do you even switch them?

Turtle nudes when?

>nall

Gimmick! is the best game on the system, but play the original 60Hz Famicom version instead of the butchered Scandinavian NES release. Battletoads is also unironically good.

You should also start looking into the PC Engine library, it's a much better console tbqh

Nice MSPaint meme.

SNES games randomly don't seem to run in Retroarch, I used Mednafen and bnses mercury. Earthbound runs just fine, but Secret of Mana and Super Mario Kart don't. Not sure what's going on.

My PSX games run just fine after I add them to my collection. SNES games don't.

IMO the greatest games on the system:
Kirby's Adventure
Earthbound Zero (Use balance patches)
Gun-Nac
Gimmick!
Dragon Warrior 3 (although SNES version is better)
Gargoyle's Quest 2
Mega Man 6
Castlevania 3 (Japan)

The NES got a lot of great games late in it's life.

So who exactly is posting as "byuu" on StormFront?

Mario Kart needs specific BIOS files if you're using bsnes and mednafen, which also uses bsnes as it's SNES core.

So I know that we're pretty much used to XMB on RetroArch and such

Do you think in the future tho we will have a different menu that will show a grid of games instead of a list

I mean I'm telling you, I'm currently using LaunchBox for my shit and I'd rather just not.

The menu code in RetroArch doesn't allow that. It can only handle lists.

>proper engineering

Works well for RGUI, GLUI, XMB and others.