Going car shopping today

Hi lads,

My folks are taking me car shopping today. They gave me a fairly sizeable budget and giving me mostly free reign. What should I expect?

I'm debating between getting a sporty sedan or truck. I'd have infinitely more usage of a truck between my work/career path and volunteering at a ranch, but I feel getting a nice sporty sedan would be more fun. I'd just have to borrow my dad's truck every day until I can afford my own.

Should I let my parents do the talking? Will the salesmen think I'm batshit crazy for going from looking at Toyobarus all the way to Tundras?

Other urls found in this thread:

galveston.craigslist.org/search/cto
autoplazahouston.com/2001-Ford-Ranger/Used-Truck/HOUSTON-TX/7371806/Details.aspx
galveston.craigslist.org/cto/5596369076.html
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Kill yourself. You should say no to the money or get them to put the money in an account that gets a nice return and buy a nice used econobox for

You should take a step back and consider your needs. I'm going to tell you this more nicely than most of Veeky Forums would. That's your parents money correct? He considerate to them when choosing your car. Do you have a set budget?

Dont think you will be buying today. Compare any model you like across several dealerships and have them bid on your business until you have the lowest price possible.

Consider the inconcenience your dad may have with having to share his truck. Honestly it sounds like your parents have money and youre just letting them buy you a car for no reason. I dont know. If it doesnt bother them then just get whatever comfortably fits your needs, isnt a money pit (FCA shit), and whose resale value isnt an anchor.

shut up and get a civic

Get a wrx. Not gonna sit here and tell you how evil it is your parents are buying you a car. It sounds like your dad is cool with you using the truck. If you can, get an sti you'll love it forever.

Consider getting an old cheap truck for the meantime. I have an early 90s s10 with a 5spd that's actually pretty fun. Datsun trucks look fun too.

Why am I going to say no to a free car? I'm 18, already have my associate's, am a vet assistant, and I have a full-size scholarship to Texas A&M.

Budget is ~$30k. I can chip in another $5k of my own savings.

My dad mostly drives his Prius, but he does use his truck on occasion. I'm worried the occasions that he'll need the truck are the times where I'll be using it. They're buying me a car because they want to reward me for all the work I've done over the past 4 years, between dropping everything to take care of my dying grandmother to becoming a vet tech before even getting out of high school. Getting scholarships and grants saved Then thousands, and they were able to cash-in a college fund my grandmother left for me before she passed.

I'm avoiding FCA like the plague, and I considered getting an older Wrangler but they cost about $12k+ for an unmolested older model.

We're probably not going to be buying today, mostly test driving a couple models I was looking at.

Nope.

I don't understand the hate, I'm getting a car, it's not like I'm trying to act nouveau riche and getting a 2 or 3 series.

With the budget it's a little easier to give advice. I would agree with getting a subbie wrx. Hawkeyes are cool. What kinda cars do you like. Btw bunch of cheap jerks itt

Yeah, I don't understand it. The jealousy on this board is unreal sometimes. Good luck to you op.

$30k + $5k of my savings of need be.

A WRX fits in that.

Cont. but yeah you can easily get an old Datsun truck and a subbie within a 30k budget. Have you considered getting two cars?

Because no fucking 18 year old deserves a nice car. Your car is going to get dinged in college parking lots. You or your passengers will cause excess wear. Get a shitbox now and a nice car when it's actually your money. Don't be entitled. A used civic is perfect for you.

My question is insurance costs.

I'm going to be covering insurance on my own, and for a barely-adult a WRX is bad enough even if I drive like an old woman. Two cars? That sounds extremely painful.

I don't get how some people make these blanket assumptions. I know plenty of kids on college who are worthy of a newer car. And it's the parents who are making their judgement

Get the truck. Don't inconvenience yourself with the possibility of not being able to borrow your dad's truck, and don't inconvenience him by borrowing it all the time.

Better yet, you should offer to take his truck instead and having him buy a newer one for himself.

Or get a cheap Subie at least. Trust us, if you do get something really expensive, it's going to hurt a lot if something bad happens to it. It really is better to get a cheaper car to start out before moving to something really good.

I second this.

I actually offered that, but his dad gave him his truck for his 18th birthday, so it holds a lot of sentimental value for him. He said no.

Wat

Post your local Craigslist.

this, my parents said if I get a car I can get in the 10k range but I said fuck no I'd be afraid to drive that anywhere for fear of scratching it. And I'm in europe so you can get shitboxes for 1k here, so gonna save up for a civic and rice it cause I'm a huge faggot

galveston.craigslist.org/search/cto

ah, makes sense. Then definitely just go for the truck. Trucks are fun anyway, and you can get a nice sporty car later. It seems like you have your shit together so that should be no problem for you. good luck

While I'll be disappointed if someone dents or scratches it, that's not a huge concern. I focus on being a fairly good driver, and trying to avoid trouble whenever possible. If I were concerned about had drivers, I would definitely opt for a shitbox. God forbid anything happens, I can afford it. If a bad wreck happens, USAA is pretty great in terms of coverage.

It's not that, I'm a very careful driver but there are tons of shitters out there that don't give a rats ass about your car and will ding it and haul ass away to avoid paying insurance if they can. If you're somewhere like hawaii you'd probably be alright because people tend to be nicer and more honorable there, but if you live in Hungary like me you gotta be careful about shit like that.

10k isn't that bad if you take care of it.
I pay for my own tuition so my parents bought me a car in the 10k range and I've taken better care of that car than anything in my life.

also there is nothing wrong with a side of rice if you like rice

Here ya go. Get em down to 3800 or 4k.

Cheap to insure
Reliable
Truck
Can only take 1 or 2 passengers in a pinch (less likely to distract you)
Will run forever if you change the fluids.

autoplazahouston.com/2001-Ford-Ranger/Used-Truck/HOUSTON-TX/7371806/Details.aspx

true, and I do take care of my stuff, but drivers here are assholes and if you get a car that's too expensive and you don't have a garage you risk getting it stolen or stripped. And since I'm here anyway and don't have any import laws stopping me, I have the option of getting a cute shitbox like a twingo and trying to get the most out of that, and they run for like 1-2k here. Shame about no diesel though, gas is more expensive here.

>vanu scum

I have a TR and NC BR120 but I only had the Vanu image on my phone.

My VS is only BR32

I'M at Honda, test drove the Accord V6 and 2015 Civic Si, the salesman was genuinely impressed I didn't bolt out in front of people.

Kill yourself Vanu scum. TR for life.

>Being a rebel
>Not being part of the glorious terran republic

Actually, OP. Get the best of both worlds. Go find yourself a really well taken-care-of Subaru Baja.

You have to be 18 to post here

Buy this El Camino. Half truck. Half muscle car.

galveston.craigslist.org/cto/5596369076.html

>bonus
>$20k+ for mods or something not retarded

not op, but what are some general things to look out for when buying a used car (at a dealer, if it makes a difference)?
the history for the car i'm looking at is very clean according to the carfax
>2 owners
>mostly only minor electrical issues
>>biggest things are change of all brake pads/rotors and replacement of power steering hose(s)/line(s)
>no reported accidents
>regular maintenance performed
anything not mentioned in the sticky would be nice to know

the salesman will think you will have no clue what you're looking for and push you into buying what he thinks will make you the most profit. SELECT 3 TO 4 CARS SPECIFICALLY THAT YOU'RE INTERESTED IN, DO YOUR RESEARCH ON THEM, AND MAKE SURE THAT THE DEALER KNOWS YOU'RE NOT RETARDED.

So your suggestion is something that's even less sporty than a truck?

I turned 18 in March. :^)

I started on TR, still think they have the best-looking gear, ESF, etc. I prefer their Assault rifles since I'm a medic main... but overall NC guns feel better.

I have, I have two trains of thought going on.

>Go with a comfy sedan suitable for daily driving and can still have fun with. Accord V6, Mazda 6, etc
>Go with a truck for work, but something still suitable for daily driving. Tacoma, Canyon, etc

I've already test driven
>Accord EX-L V6
>Civic Si
>Lexus IS250

So far I enjoyed the Accord the most. While the Si was probably more fun, the Accord felt better overall. Tomorrow we're going to do a couple more.

FORD RANGER
O
R
D
R
A
N
G
E
R

You don't need a new truck.