BMW diesel?

Hello Veeky Forums,
I'm considering buying an BMW diesel instead of a petrol one.

From what I understood, diesels are more fuel efficient, have no spark plugs you'd have to maintain and are ecologically better (Kek as if I'd give a shit about that), while petrol cars have faster acceleration and get along better with cold.

Did I get that right? Are there other reasons pro and con and are there special things only applying to BMWs?

Pic related is an E34 525tds, I'm also having a closer look at the E38 725tds and am interested in E36 diesel models aswell, are they worth it? Are they maybe underpowered?

>ecologically better
This part is incorrect.

yes they are underpowered but are a piece of piss to improve
just put on a modern vnt turbo, or two.

They are underpowered, but you don't buy a diesel for the power. You buy one for the economy and longevity.

The E34 was a well sorted platform, can't speak for the later models though.

The E30 had diesel models as well, but I think they are extremely rare. Turbo Diesel models even.

Mercedes Benz had diesel offerings too, remember that.

>Diesels aren't THAT ecologic as we thought that's why they're worse than petrol cars now!
You're a fucking retard and you know it.

You can install turbos easily?
I've seen that once on a MX5 and it looks really fucking difficult

Yeah I don't think I want an E30, they're a bit too old to me.

How underpowered is underpowered tho?

Also, from what I can imagine, having no spark plugs spares me a lot of maintenance and repair that could come up and makes everything easier, doesn't it?

on a mech diesel it's easy, as ever it's the pipework, specifically the downpipe.
iirc the exhaust flange is T25 so it's a common size
glow plugs still matter.
new glow plugs make starts quicker, smoother and less smoky

They NEVER were ecological. Fuckface.

I never really did my research on the way the heaters in a diesel work.
Seeing that there's just half a dozen of glow plugs instead of spark plugs kinda defeats my first idea of less maintenance.

[spoiler] should delete this thread [/spoiler]

Anyway, do you think that diesel cars are worth it?
And if I install a turbo, won't that also increase my fuel use in the end?
Wouldn't that kinda take away the efficiency by trying to get closer to a petrol car in performance?

if you do it right you can get 50% more power and barely dent fuel economy (unless you are constantly using that power)
diesels are wonderful things

1-100km/h are ~10 seconds with the diesels and ~6 with the petrol ones on the Wikipedia tables. That's what kinda puts me off
Is it really that extreme?

You could probably get a tds to 200hp and 0-60 around 7-8 seconds without much smoke.
Just use the turbo off a 530d and water injection.

>They are underpowered, but you don't buy a diesel for the power. You buy one for the economy and longevity.

The E38 is too much car for a diesel imo, it would be a slug. Between the two I'd recommend the E34. That being said, I'm biased because I own an E34 myself (petrol, not diesel - pretty sure the E28 was the last diesel 5 series offered in the U.S.). It has a fucking enormous fan base and wealth of knowledge available on the internet, and mine has been super reliable & cheap to maintain for the year that I've owned it so far.

Then again, if you like E36s, those have arguably the biggest fan base out of all Bimmers which means a fucking crazy amount of parts and information available. Personally, I can't stand them; I think they're ugly as sin and have the cheapest, least comfortable interiors BMW has ever made.

E38 came with a 4.0 V8 diesel too. sound great with a sports exhaust

Diesels are, and always have been, acid rain/cancer/smog producing pieces of shit you dumb yuropoor

>diesel

stop being so fucking poor
if you are getting a diesel bmw, its because you will drop an s38 in it

Bitches like you are the reason I'd love to remap my car to literally produce its own atmosphere made of delicious thick black soot.

>fucking tripfags

So the fact that diesels are polluting pieces of shit and only make sense for heavy vehicles that maintain highway speeds like buses and trucks mean...you want to pollute?

Do you have a problem with reality? I'm not saying your jewish ass shouldn't be allowed a compression ignition engine so you can save your shekels, i'm just telling you the way it is.

Do you also think hybrids save the earth despite their batteries?

>petrol costs more to produce than diesel
>petrol wastes WAY more liters of petrol to be refined
>diesel engines are way more efficient than petrol engines for literally every application
>diesel engines emit less noxious particles to the atmosphere than the petrol equivalents
>b-but muh TDI cheating

Fuck off with your clichés.
Petrol is great but can only be justified in a performance car, nothing else. And a fucking Civic or a Miata aren't performance cars.
Even now, there are more and more performance diesel engines.
People like you surely haven't driven a modern diesel, because if you had you wouldn't be talking shit.

the diesel engines of that era were fucking SHIT compared to the reliability of their gasoline engines.

look it up.
those engines had problems non stop.

What?
I like that user

You're making me worry a lot user
What stuff for example?
In simple terms please

I agree user, E36s are way too fucking ugly and casual.
I only looked at the E38s because the interior looks fucking delishious.