What got you into cars, Veeky Forums?

What got you into cars, Veeky Forums?

The fact that my parents bought me a Nissan GT-R in 2010.

Fuck'-n-A Hot Wheels!

One day I was just sitting around doing nothing important and the word "Skyline" popped into my head.

I dunno why, I didn't know anything about r32-34s, I didn't even know they were illegal in the states. But I felt extremely compelled to play a video game where I could drive a skyline. I HATED racing video games up until that moment, after looking for a good game I downloaded Gran Turismo 4 and started learning about the basic mechanics of car racing/handling.

I had lots of fun, then a few days later I started watching initial D and my interest TOOK OFF.

Here we are, years later, i'm not too interested in skylines anymore but I'm learning how to wrench and I plan on getting a funsies car that I can beat to shit learning how to drive like dagumi soon.

I was at a dealer with my mom when I was 15 or so years old, repairing some broken shit in our 2006 Town & Country. Chilling out at the dealer, I saw a brand new first gen Challenger SRT8. Thought that was the coolest shit in the world, started looking up shit online. Aggressive downward spiral into automotive addiction from there. It's like PC building but more money to waste.

How does it feel to btfo all the Corvettes

I use sim racing as a relaxation tool. Then naturally I started learning about all sorts of cars and racing series.

No, this is a real driveable car, it was my birthday gift when i was 16.

fuck that's cool
got any pics?

Nobody are stupid enough to buy American cars in Norway.

Fair enough, but there at Americans stupid enough to believe you

an uncle of mines gave me a highly detailed 1999 blue dodge viper gts model

before then my brother had gt1 on the ps1 and i never played it or gave it much thought.

until then

He's lying, he's an attention whore who thinks people will think highly of him if he has expensive shit.

But nobody is impressed by a rich kid with a nice car.

owning a shitbox nissan pulsar paddock basher and trying to make it not light on fire all the time

Then how did they get there?

>poorfags are this bitter

That's my favorite drink

You claim to have a nice car when your trip is on, why don't you show us?

I'm not bitter, i'm just wary of people who make dubious claims on the internet

Mighty Car Mods, getting into racing games and becoming old enough to actually start driving all around the same sort of time.

Alphonse

I'm not even him, you idiot. I'm just laughing at how jealous you are.

>Mighty Car Mods
C A N C E R
A
N
C
E
R

Aww, thanks.

Is there a name for this Pepe? The only time I see it is Alphonseposting

I call them curious pepe's. I have a folder of them for spamming.

My dad built a '67 Camaro and I "helped" when I was younger, but now that I gave my own vehicle I can do a bunch of shit to it on my own. Car culture didn't come until after I started seeking help on some projects

When I bought my first car my dad said when it needed maintenance he would help me out with parts and hands on stuff, but if I wanted to take it to a shop I was on my own for covering costs. Considering I bought a 30 year old BMW for $1200 I was pretty much forced into doing my own work to avoid bankruptcy lol. Fell in love with working on cars and gained valuable experience.

>tfw my dad and I each bought a classic car and hang out in the garage together and work on them on weekends

The door

I had a car enthusiast dad growing up.
Like any kid I was always excited about driving and cars.
But really I had one friend that got me into cars when I was ~15-17
With out him I'm not sure if I'd be the autist I am today.

I'd always had a vague interest in boxy old cars but had no car friends or dad to teach me. Then I found initial d and the rest is history

Need for speed

The idea of making a 3 thousand pound piece of machinery slide around and go super fast was just too much to resist.

A bit between my dad, a good friend Gran Turismo/Forza and Initial D.

>First PS1 game, Gran Turismo
>First PS2 game, Burnout 3
>Dad used to take me to the track when I was little to watch the drag races
>Front neighbour was a mechanic and owned a loud rotary
>Grandfather was a mechanic, used to drag race
>Uncle is a mechanical engineer
>All the fun arcade games were racing (Except Time Crisis)
>Other uncle owned a Mustang, did burnouts whenever I asked him to
>Loved washing cars, loved the smell of gasoline and the sounds of loud engines
>Been driving since I was 12 (Under supervision of course)

I've just always been surrounded by cars. I've grown to love them, and I wish everyone in the world would treat them more than just a commodity. Driving is amazingly fun and it's just something I could do all day if I had a good car.

Hot wheels, Matchbox, RC cars.

Couldn't really tell you... none of my relatives have any particular interest, and I was never really brought up around any of it. I guess I "started" when riding around old mopeds, cars and snowmobiles at my friends farm, although that was just fun because it went fast. My actual interest started when I got my first moped at 13 and stared toying around with it, although I was already interested in auto-stuff at that point for no apparent reason

My dad said that if i don't like cars he would disown me, i've liked cars ever since

When I was younger than 10 I remember the C4 corvette's rear end always caught my attention. Until I turned 18 and was able to get a car I stuck to gaming/computers.

Watched initial d when it was still just fansubed, so 90s imports became my focus for a first car.

My first car is a s13 240sx, still have it (hit 10 years ownership recently, over 140k miles driven) that set my motorhead life in stone, fuck these cars are fun with suspension and good tires.

Dad used to take me to car shows, plus I played a lot of NFS on weekends and sick days as a kid.

A little while after first getting my license we traveled to arkansas, and I got to drive through some downhill twisties in an old truck. Had a great time.
Watched initial D a few months later and it was all downhill from there

Easter pepes. They were created by an ausfag on /int/.

Military put me in a transportation job dealing with vehicles for a little bit. When you drive for a living you just make a hobby out of it

Ever since I was little I've been interested in anything mechanical.

Being from the suburbs, I've never had the means to support an expensive hobby like cars. Until I was 21, then I got a decent job. Been learning how to wrench since then.

Still have a lot to learn. Trying not to let Veeky Forums turn me into a jaded benchracer. Keeping in mind that it's basically:

1. Know how to wrench
2. Have money
3. Have a fast car
>pick 2

You're using the wrong word.

Hot Wheels tbqh

I always thought the muscle cars looked best, and now I really like muscle cars.

Forza 2

Also this

Pic related. Then Midnight Club 2 sealed the deal.

this. shit. right. here.

Dayumn, I still have my copy of that shit.

Dat's sum hardcore enthusiast shit, sorta like SCC was, pic related.

>Be me at like 3 years old
>Be 1997
>Ride in Ford Festiva with Dad
>Dad had fun in his little car with a stick shift
sure looked fun
>Fast forward to 2006
>Dad buys 2003 Subaru Impreza WRX... wagon
>Dad has fun on the bun with his stick and now TURBO
>Teaches me to drive stick
I suck.
>fast forward again to 2012 and I buy my first car
>1994 Oldsmobile 88
>Shit was gangster as fuck
>Many roadies, much roadhead
>Minor maintenance, nothing fun. Pain in the dick so I named it Nixon "Tricky Dick"
>Something's missing though
>2015 join the navy
>leave car with bro back home
>2016 and no car in PacNorthWest
>Browsing CL for used (preferably German) cars that could be easier to work on
>Wait, I can't work on cars, why am I looking for something easy to work on?
>find a black 1991 BMW E30 318is slicktop
with a manual transmission
>Whip out my vape, don my snapback, and start counting my cash to pick that bitch up that day!
>Start looking up ways to restore what the previous broke-dick stoner did to it.
>Named her Ford, after the president who presidentially pardoned Nixon of all wrongdoings.
>Just finished installing a new speed sensor in Ford.
>I am becoming a car junkie...
>spiderman3niggerpicture.jpg
>Working out a $2500 budget to restore Ford with all my expendable navy income

you're a fucking loser man

I'm well aware.

21 days clean though (from opium, anyway, I still eat/shoot speed). And having 2 engineering degrees kinda makes up for being a junkie.

>vicodine
>vyvanse (?)
Did you raid your little brother's medicine cabinet?
Lmao, how can you even get high off that.

>having a bachelors degree makes up for being a junkie
nah

>opium
Kek
You just posted a picture with hydrocodene. I'd overdose on the acentaminophen 100 times over before getting high
>speed
You take aderall, something literally prescribed to 8 year olds for adhd

Well, I certainly couldn't get high off the hydros, I just considered them a booster for the poppies because I had some.

And those were 10mg addies, decent stuff if you take a bunch.

I posted a picture with opium poppies (and hydros on the side, yes).

And Adderall IS speed. It's literally just 2 different salt forms of the 2 different isomers of amphetamine.

Gran Tourismo 2

AcceleRacers

I know adderal is speed. Weak tho.
Why not just buy dope and meth instead?

I do gotta say thats a nice plant, though pointless.
Get a little (if at all) high every harvest season

west coast customs back in 05

Can't find any where I live, and acetic anhydride is hard as fuck to acquire. I can do the DNM thing but the poppy thing is cheaper and the high lasts over 20 hours as opposed to 2. I'm a legs guy, not a rush guy.

Honestly though, dextrometh wouldn't be so hard. I would need ~$200 in glassware (distillation kit + some), and a system to pump cold water through the graham reflux condenser. I have plenty of ephedrine and I know how to synth solid iodine at home... But my addy script is good enough for now, it prevents me from getting too big a tolerance.

Not trying to be a judgmental bitch btw, I just find this all a bit ridiculous.
Lmao how can you unironically call yourself a junkie. Like you get high off raw popies and hydros, lmao not even oxy or any of those other low synthetic opiates.

>be typical peasant that thinks cars are to get from point A to B
>grinding life, waiting for the bus that I barely missed
>see scion dealer with an FR-S in the show room
>wow, that car looks nice, ill go see it
>start looking at it
>salesman asks me to go on a test drive
>think nothing of it, i got 30minutes to kill before next bus
>fall in love with the car
>every day i start going to random dealers to test drive cars to see what i want to buy once i get money
>2yrs later
>buy god machine
so yeah, recently found a passion for cars in 2012

I don't even know where my family got the game. We always had it, but nobody ever played it but me.

Gran Turismo 2

I played GT1 but I was 8 and hated the physics

I actually did go back to GT1 and loved all the racecars but after golding ALL the license tests and everything twice over after my first save was corrupted, I lost my drive (no pun intended)

Necessity
Wanted to fix my own cars without being assraped by a dealer or shop.

After a Dealer quoted $4,000 for a alternator job on my 1998 Cadillac DeVille.

Fuck that, did it myself in my driveway with a basic ratchet set and a $200 alternator from NAPA

Started me on my drive to know more about cars

Watched initial D senpai desu

... You don't even know. By the way that pic was from 2011 or 2012.

2 months ago I took 120mg of instant-release oxy that I personally got from the pharmacy. I didn't notice any difference at all, not even a buzz, although it delayed withdrawals. 8-10 poppies or a pound of seeds gets me high as fuck for over a day. I spend less money and get much higher for much longer than an oxy user (my $5 / day habit would be over $200 / day if oxy were my DOC). And I have to use at least every 40 hours or else shit gets real. I've been into this shit since 2009, I'm much more of a junkie than many H users. I'm not particularly proud of it but it is a good time.

they got it while you were a babby.

In the mid 2000's my fun uncle brought me all around the NYC international auto show. I was a young impressionable kid at the time. Also gt3-4

just stop you posted a picture of your drug stash without relevance to the topic at hand to try to seem "edgy" or something

Oxy is weak if you've anything of a tolerance. So are seeds.
>40 hours
Wow thats nice, I can hardly go 10.
40 hours to get mild withdrawals sounds not bad at all.
>I'm more a junkie than many h users
kek
I'd hardly call them drugs, I can get higher off placebo sugar pills probably

Playing Burnout 3 got me interested in wanting to drive fast cars.

Watching my dad get financially raped by mechanics over and over again made me want to do my own work on cars.

Don't know, one day I woke up and wanted to learn about cars

I've always been into cars, but never enough to want to work on it myself, or take real care of vehicles, until...

>Be me
>Want to be police officer
>Working as parking authority
>Start union, get fired
>Need a new job
>Don't care what it is, I just need money
>Apply at Mazda dealership for low boy position
>Get to drive a Speed3
>Instantly fall in love with fast cars
>Slowly, but surely start learning about them
>Get promoted to detailer
>Buy my B2200 (This vehicle really started me on working on my own vehicles, mainly due to it being beaten to shit)
>On downtime between detailing watch mechanics fix shit and get mind boner
>Decide I want to try and start fixing shit
>First thing I ever did by myself was sway bar bushings, I know small time, but it was a start
>Start doing more shit, more bushings, valve cover gasket, new headers
>Fall more and more in love
>Get promoted again to parts advisor
>Have no idea what I want to do the rest of my life and I sure as shit can't be a parts advisor for the nest 30 years
>Decide I want to be a mechanic for the rest of my life
>Apply to school not expecting to get in until about 8 months later
>Get call, I start in one week

And now, I've been in school for 3 months and haven't learned a thing because of all my watching and doing shit myself, but I do have a job placement after school is done fixing and building custom jeeps with one of my dad's friends.

A combination of my uncle teaching me to drive stick, a friend who was really into Saabs, Mad Max and Initial D. Plus I've always liked mechanical things.

I loved cars and bikes at a very ypung age, I lived on a little lifestyle block and my dad loved to fiddle with old cars and bikes. What he made was some pretty amazing shit, even if it barely ran. My first bike was a 'chopper' style 39cc pit bike. It was slow af but 9 year old me thought it was the bees knees. We had a 70s ford falcon that we used to go on vintage car runs with. Every weekend we watched motorsport and I was around 11 when for my birthday I got a PS2 with Gran Turismo 3. I got so hooked that he started playing with me and told me how to race and how to modify the cars. We did a few projects together with some old parts and made things like go karts and paddock bashers. Since then I have surrounded myself and worshipped anything remotely related to cars and bikes.

I bought a Gran Torino when I was 17 for $4,000.

I'm 22 and it's finished now.

I forgot to mention that I got into cars because my dad had a 1967 Chevelle SS and basically forced me to buy this saying that it was the best investment I could make.

I think he was right considering 4 speed, 429ci Torinos are hard to find.

Thats a fine looking ride good sir.

I'd inadvertently watched Wheeler Dealers since I was young thanks to my Dad, watched and enjoyed Top Gear for a long time but I never had an interest in actually driving or learning about cars until I watched Initial D last spring.

Nothing in particular. Cars were always cool.

>Need for speed
>calling car companies as a kid and requesting brochures of their cars which they sent for free
>having a e34 as a first car

Those 90s car brochures smelled soo good too many bored nights spent dreaming about cars

Someone subscribed me to Hot Cars as a kid. Every month you'd get a pack of ~15 or so super in-depth foldouts of various cars. Fuck I wonder if my parents still have my old binders at their house. In the end I had three 3" binders completely bursting with these.

Any of you fags have this as a kid? Early-mid 90s...

Example fold-out front

Example fold-out interior

I used to re-read them all the time. Also used to get trace paper and trace over the side profiles. I would make my own custom cars taking the tail lights from one, the mid section from another, etc etc. Fun times...

road trips
not that I like travelling long distance
just that my dad would get bored and do stupid shit just to keep everyone motivated

that and the cars of the time had really comfy cocoon like interiors

Powerblock TV on spike when I was about 12

gig hr died ?

Honestly it was Need For Speed: Most Wanted (the real Most Wanted; I'm super biased against the new one). I had gt1 as a kid until my cousin literally broke the fucking disk and despite not being able to get past the first licencing because I was 6 and didn't know about apexes I would always either hit the rock wall or fly through the finish line 0.1 - 0.3 seconds late. Most Wanted got me into the "go fast" mentality and it is still probably my favourite racing game ever (I never got to play Under Ground 2 because I never had a PS2, the only reason I got to play Most Wanted was because my other non-autistic cousin let me play it when I came over). I ended up playing Under Ground 2 a couple years ago after I tormented it because my girlfriend insisted that I should get it, so I did, and made a decent looking 240sx with a basic body kit because, despite it being UG2, i DIDNT want to rice the shit out of it. Eventually it wasn't until maybe 3 years ago (18 y/o me) that I started looking at real cars. Originally looking at Mustang GTs (same car I had in Most Wanted) but I also really liked jdm, and eventually JDM won out. I love the sound of classic muscle, but I love the look of JDM. I still haven't gotten my first car yet, and I only.have a cbr300r but I'm in school now for Automotive Technician Foundations, and within the next few weeks I'm going to be getting a 2005 Subaru WRX STi. All in all I guess it wasn't until recently I started getting into cars but I always had racing games around as a kid, so maybe that helped.

No good cartoons were on one fine Sunday morning when I was like 11 years old, so I decided to see what my dad always watched on SPEED network. Ended up watching motorweek when they were reviewing the early 2000s redesigned pontiac grand prix. Watch nearly anything that isn't car crazy because those old cars were lame and they kept trying to sell me wax.

Start identifying cars on the road and watch dad work on our cars. Check out an issue of it think motor trend from the school library. Mosler MT900 vs Saleen S7. God that Mosler looked like it was some star wars shit. Kinda lost track at that point but was easily the most car-savvy guy amongst my band friends. It's a little crazy honestly. Come a long way in almost 13 years.

A 1993 Mazda mx-3

Dad raced a mid-80s Yamaha sidecar with my grandad and I had to go watch because otherwise I'd be at home on my own as a 4 year old with a mum that occasionally considered stabbing me because I cried so much.

Doors.