Old truck thread

Hey all, this is my first project for an old vehicle. I got a 460 with 30k miles on it from a camper. That is what's going to go in it. Post your projects or favorite truck.

Other urls found in this thread:

seattle.craigslist.org/sno/cto/5576308441.html
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Old trucks are neat. New trucks have no limit. Old trucks you need to find the limit and you can find it. But they'll keep working past that limit and that's when you build the bond with your old truck.

Old trucks are a friend.

what are you planning on doing about the rust on the wheel wells?

>460
good taste

Nice truck. New trucks are already complete. With an old truck you cam make it the way you see fit. It's sad to see some of these older trucks sitting in a field, dying.

Thing looks sick OP.

Here's my ricey old truck. Need to take a new picture tomorrow after a quick wash. Have changed a couple things.

I bought a patch panel. Cut out the rust and weld it into place then paint. The underside of this truck is beautiful. It has 90k miles on it

She's on craigslist at the moment cause I need the money but if no one buys her I'll get her running again

Thanks, your truck looks pretty sweet as well. I like the wing mirror message. Body looks clean too

Thanks man, unfortunately has 308k on it, bought it at 300k and it was EXTREMELY neglected. I've dropped easily 4k into it in a year. Fuck people for not taking care of vehicles.

That thing looks sick on those tires and rims. When you live where I live you see these but they have way more rust.

easy enough, shame the old trucks around here are all fucked up on pricing.
this was by far the best deal i could track down
92 rollalong package f350 with 85k
dreams are to change up to a built 460 on carbs or stand alone efi and change it to manual.
but until money really opens up, itll be my tinker truck

here she is after breaking the local shops lift

>jelly
the nostalgia is real

308k? Wow, that truck looks so good for how much it jas been used. I do wish people would take care of older vehicles because they're not coming back.

Thanks, she's got rust. The rockers are about gone but the frame and underbody are solid.

Apparently the owner before the guy I bought it from owned it from day one until about 292k, was a doctor and took meticulous care of it, then sold it to some douche bag kid who took it offroading and beat it to fuck in 8000kms.

Sometimes wish I had bought an old F150, my dad used to own one. Legit mad jelly of your truck.

whoops wrong pic

Damn, she broke their lift? That truck is so long as well. My orange ford was actually headed for the scrap pile because it had no title. I applied for lost title and i now own it

One thing I like about Ford, they do not fuck around with the word longbed

Damn, at least it's in good hands now. My truck has a long way to go before she's road worthy.
I can see the rust now. At least it has a good frame. Would make a good daily driver

I agree on that

yeah, you can see the cables hanging out the posts.
been a fun project so far, just need to get off my ass and finish the exhaust and do the axle service.
so did you get your truck for free?

fits on my dads lift with about 1" to spare.
turning radius of a jumbo jet
comfy as fuck seats
i love the thing

>handled weird when i got it
>brakes dragging like hell
>cant tell because 460 torques
>replace all the brakes and master cylinder
drives like new

H-how old

Holy crap, that's a 4 post as well. How much does it weigh?

There's 2 ways to take that sentence. My truck is a 1977. And if im honest the age doesnt matter to me as long as youre an enthuiast of older vehicles

not sure, i havent rolled across any scales yet but supposedly around 6-7500 lbs
the paint is dismal on it too, flaking off everywhere. ill probably have the whole thing repainted before the end of summer

Holy crap, at least 3 tons? That is insane. A good paint job will last a long time. Make sure you clearcoat it seperately. My cousin used the all in one paint on his 67 mustang and it turned out crap. It didn't look as good too.

Alright, im off to bed. Goodnight all, i'll check back in the morning

its a pig for sure
the paint is cheap and lazy, just to prevent rust and keep it looking ok for now.
id love to have it professionally done up in forest green or maybe a navy blue, but thats after all the mechanical goodies are done.

later mystery user

I've been really jonesing for an old Suburban but no room for new cars right now.

is that the macho grande

Yes.

I was thinking of getting a nissan d21 hardbody. There are a couple sub 200k examples going for around $2000. Anyone know if the parts are a bitch to find? Its supposedly reliably AF, but I have no knowledge of availability compared to a chebby or ranger of the same era.

Plan on using it to do things like pick up scrap and move furniture for those willing to pay as a side gig during my down time.

>roll-a-long
I've never heard of this package. What comes with it?

its a really uncommon trim pack so im not sure what all it has over the others. i think its the stainless running boards, moon visor, grille, spot lights, custom center console, and a full tow package and brake controller. i think the seats are part of the package as well.

Well, either way it's a nice looking truck

danke user. taken a lot of time to get it all working properly
i even managed to find a non fucked trim plate for the tailgate

Old trucks are great as long as you have time to work on them...I haven't had time so it's giving me problems now

what kind of problems is it having?

I've got some issues with my ranger, that I'm beginning to lean towards the culprit being a crack in the block letting exhaust into the coolant.

So I'm thinking about swapping the 3.0 to a 5.0. Any advice?

why do you suspect a cracked block instead of a leaky headgasket?

Just got it two days ago, 84 c10 longbed.

Honestly, because I expect the worst.
When I bought it, it was overheating (read 3/4 of the gauge) So I aked the PO if it had cooling issues and he said "Its run hot since they replaced the water pump, but it hasn't gotten hot enough to turn off again" Then explained that on at least two occasions he had to drive to the store to get parts for it, with no coolant/missing rad hose

But it doesn't leak fluids into the oil or vice verse, and it doesn't leak coolant. It does appear to leak oil from the rear seal.

nice tractor, lad

any plans for the ol beast?

jesus, thats more a miracle it runs at all.
cant argue with swapping in a bigger better motor though

oi bruv

No love for the yotas?

yota tax is too high out by me, not paying 5k for a clapped out beater.

>sad headlights
gets me every time

Thats kinda my thoughts. Figured I'd just keep it running, and I purge the gasses out of the coolant once a month.
Pick up the swap parts over the next few months and if the engine does blow, then I can just swap it. Odds are it will be cheaper than finding a good 3.0.

not sad, scared.

What engine is in yours?

U-joint came apart on highway,. Front pas. Break locked, need to correct exaust only halph clamped on now, smokes on start-up, strang transmission-axel noises, lights dim at stop light (probly just need to clean alt cables, only one blower speed, high beam indicator works intermittently, leaks oil (sending unit?), No license plate lights, have to slam drivers door, and leaks coolent...but it's never left me stranded yet

Shouldn't the radiator purge the gasses normally.....the cap should open at pressure and let the gass on top into the radiator then when it cools it should pull the coolant out of the reserve into the rad

Well, Its getting a layer of gas in the top hose and a bit at the very top of the radiator, and if you fill it, then squeeze the top hose, it will bubble and pull coolant back.
Its gotten better since I replaced the rad, the cap, thermostat, and the top hose since apparently they just stuck one from a random vehicle on it.

Also I hit a bump in my driveway and lowered it.

>Soon.jpg

Well I was going to recommend rapping a chain around a tree to pull the uper out but seeing that I wouldn't touch it at all

haha, Naw I replaced that already, Besides, Its low mileage.

Its still a decent beater, Took a 12 hour round trip like a champ.
Only lost a pint of coolant and two quarts of oil.

cologne 4.0l v6 with whatever weeb 5spd

brakes are easy and pretty fast to do, exhaust is over rated, axles noises might be of legitimate concern though.
take a look at the blower resistor, one terminal may have overheated and come loose or a coil failed.

Already fixed the breaks put the second caliper on today. Deciding wheater or not to change the transmission fluid....and how I want to go about the oil leak it's a pain in the ass to get to without pulling the distributor

Brakes

is it just a fitting leaking or a gasket somewhere in there?
>tfw i let a shop do my trans service because i wasnt gonna fuck with that big ass pan without a drain plug
>mechanic got hosed with atf when he tried to drop the pan

Dream is a6v53t in a k30 crew cab long bed watching th 4x4 and an nv5600. Mild lift, dually with 35's

I like yotas.

Wow, that one's a beauty. I plan to put big aggressive tires on it instead of these

Fitting...but it's a t fitting that comes off the top of the manifold next to the distributor that has 2 would sensor on it

My truck weighed over 5 tons in this pic.

Their fullsize longbed is the same 8' as everyone else's.

as long as you index your distributor arm and timing advance it should be a quick easy on/off for that.

Doggie approved interior

I like the displacement of this engine. 6.9 liters (lol69), or 420ci (blaze it)

nothing beats a pup approved interior
truck is the only one she hops in if its open and passes out as soon as we get going

Just haven't pulled one before...I worked around it to change the sensor last year it's just worked loose because I couldn't tighten it

She isn't even my dog lol. And she jumps in through the open window then just sleeps there. Belongs to my mom's bf
>Painted them gauges

the distributor should be a matter of pulling one bolt and popping the cap off and lifting it all out. as long as you make sure you dont put it back with the wrong timing youll be golden.

'70 F350 car hauler. 390/NP435, someday I'll fix it up.

post some more shots of it, looks like a nice truck

Swap in a 2.6 mate

That's a low redline. What's the ratio for the diff.

Bump cuz fuck Alphonse

So still kinda looking for advice, anyone ever done an engine swap? or suggestions on what to do about getting a 5.0?
Price suggestions?

I'm sorry to ask it here, but I'm a little desperate. What does it mean when for example I'm driving to work and my truck just bogs down a lot, then eventually dies. I could crank it back up, but it would just keep doing it.

dont have much, just a 2000 Silverado 2500 4x4 with a camper

and a 1981 Toyota Hilux 4x4

what kind of truck?

Fuel starvation? plugged filter? weak fuel pump?

I own one. 91 4x4. Unfortunately the PO was a real shitheel for neglecting to tell me about the inner frame rust. Now I need to see if a welding shop can cut out the cancer and patch in a brace or something, because fuck if I'm selling it. I just bought it, dammit.

It's a 1982 Ford F100 custom 302.

Well, as far as fuel I've checked the filter lines and pump. I checked all that first. Carburetor maybe? I'm just unfamiliar with working on them. I've never had to work on one before honestly.

I didn't mention it before, but before this happened; the truck was having a really hard time idling up, and would stall occasionally when I came to complete stops.

That's a nice 22, got my 23 for free and in great condition. The guy who had it before took great condition of it. I've done a lot to it since I've gotten to it, updating lots of parts

Looks solid. My favorite front clip style. I have '83 K20 LWB. These trucks are will suck away your soul and money but are worth it. Those hood ornaments are rare in my area (unless it's the 6.2 one), so good find.

>green text

It's fairly sold for a northern truck. I need to pull the engine for a quick freshen up and regasket. I also have a 76 F600 with a 359/np435 for parts

there is a whole website dedicated to it
search "ranger 5.0 swap" im going to do it to mine also

I saw this add today. What do you guys think? I might try and pick it up this weekend.
seattle.craigslist.org/sno/cto/5576308441.html

>71 c-10
>350 th400
>cab and front clip are perfect
>no frame rust
just needs a bed floor, rear tubs and a tune up

pretty much stole this thing at $3k

Not familiar with your specific truck but I would suspect the carbs, although you need to check for fuel and spark. It could be as simple as a fuel filter or spark plug lines, something with the dizzy cap or the carb.

If you've got the cash on hand do a service (plugs, wires, cap and rotor, fuel filter, oil change if you need it) your truck will prob thank you.

I thought it was illegal to sell a vehicle with a rusted frame without the seller telling the buyer for obvious reasons

Does anyone know if they made a 1977 Ford F150 camper special? Because my F150 has one hell of a stack of leaf springs under it. Sorry for no pic as I lost the picture