Convertible thread

I was thinking of getting a convertible and wanted to hear from anons that own/have owned a drop top.
What are things I should know? Pros cons etc
Thanks in advance
Oh, can you daily a Miata?

When the top gets old and tattered it leaks a lot. It's kinda noisy on the highway. That's p. much it.

cons: they are heavy, loud, and require a lot of extra bracing to retain chassis stiffness
pros: none in my opinion

i had an e36 vert. dumb gimmick that you use 1/3 of how much you think you would.
sunroof is just as good.

>can you daily a miata
why couldnt you

if you don't ever carry anything in the cabin or much in the boot then yes.
with a passenger you can carry a couple of mobile phones and a bottle of water in the cabin and that's pretty much it.
beside head room they are less spacious than NA miats inside

Wind noise on the highway was a concern of mine.
And I fear a fucked up top and what it would cost.

I never, ever drive with a passenger. It's extremely rare. And usually I only have me, my phone and a water bottle. I never have anything big in my car and I don't buy lots of crap that fills my trunk.

I own a BMW Z4M Roadster.
Pros: Driving with the top down is god tier. I feel caged up when the top is up. I don't think I will ever not own at least one roadster for the rest of my life. They are somewhere between a car and a motorcycle in terms of "freedom" in my mind. It also feels good soaking up the sun, and even better dropping the top on an 80deg summer night. I roll top down with AC on full blast on summer days and top down with heater on full blast and heated seats running during winter nights. Getting sideways without a pillar and windows to block your view or going 150mph without a roof is fun as shit.
Cons: Car is noisier inside. The sun does damage to the soft top, and there are more weather seals to track down and fix/replace to stop wind noise. It adds a whole system to replace/fail that isn't present of fixed roof cars. Also some people have irrational hatred for drop tops but you're not insecure so fuck em. Drop tops also decrease rigidity of the chassis, but if you buy a purpose built roadster like a miat or Z4 you'll be fine as they planned for that (hopefully). Also hard tops take up tons of trunk space, soft tops don't.

I HIGHLY recommend buying a roadster with a glass rear window with defroster. Plastic rear windows suck cock. Also, there is a huge difference between a convertible and a roadster. Drop tops should only be two seaters. Larger cars without a roof fucking suck as there is just too much wind. S2000, Boxster S, Z4M, new Miata ftw.
There isn't "wind noise" unless you have seals that need replacing or a top out of alignment. The car however is always noisier. If you normally have aftermarket exhaust then the increase in noise from a soft top won't bother you. Your car will never be as quiet as a camry but you get used to it after a week. Just, even pulled over, when you call people they will know you are driving. That is all.

>sunroof is just as good.
haha you're a fag.

It's not for everbody, but there is something special about cruising around with the top down on a hot summer day. And its fun to drive around with the top down in the snow just for the attention

>buying a convertible
no shit it sucks, try a Z3 or a proper roadster. Hairdresser convertibles blow at speeds above 35
>sunroof
cancer.

Yeah it's special a few times a year. That's the point.

Ok?

The point is you bought a shitty convertible, and not a roadster. They are worlds apart man. Don't hate the drop top because you got it in the worst chassis imaginable.

Drive an e46 m3 convertible and a Z4M roadster back to back will show how shitty making a convertible out of a sedan is. These are the true hairdresser cars. Not miatas, not Z3s...323ic and drop top mustangs. Those are cancer.

I'd give a real roadster a try before you write off all convertibles man.

Riiightt.. e36 m3 vert is a hairdresser car but your Z3 isn't. K.

Chopping the roof off a two rowed passenger car for the sake of having no roof is a hairdresser car. A proper roadster is not. Sorry I gave you butthurt sweetie.

Your delusions don't make me butthurt

I'm not the queer who bought an e36 convertible lol
Uhhh, I said a Z3 wasn't a hairdresser car. But still, anything less than a multilink rear is jewish account money saving famalam. Get on muh level

It was a hand me down, bro. I'd never buy a convertible with my own money.

But, it's no less hairdresser than a z3 or a z4 or a boxster or a miata. That's just your delusional bias.

I mean let's face it you couldn't afford / didn't know about the M coupe at the time of purchase. That's what everyone is thinking anyway.

>But, it's no less hairdresser than a z3 or a z4 or a boxster or a miata. That's just your delusional bias.
No that is your inexperienced opinion. Not all convertibles are horrible to drive. Some are actually enjoyable, more so than fixed roof cars. Those are called roadsters. Try them out before dismissing them. You got a hand me down of the worst chassis ever without a roof to make women happy. Not all drop tops are like that. Some people enjoy their M, viper, vette, or supra without a roof. Crazy, righ?
>I mean let's face it you couldn't afford / didn't know about the M coupe at the time of purchase. That's what everyone is thinking anyway.
I prefer, yes I said it, prefer the roadster to the coupe. I'm still shopping for a coupe to be a garage queen cuz sexy as fuck but it will never replace my Z4M Roadster for pure daily driving fun. A blind man would never choose the coupe over the roadster.

Buy a real roadster, a nice one with 300+hp (Z4M, boxster S, etc) and you'll see why they are the true driver's cars.

what part of S54 did you miss?

can we get back to helping OP instead of you being butthurt about your shit soft top? although I guess you have helped show him what car not to buy lol

I know they are drivers cars.. I never said they weren't. They are still convertibles and thus, to me, shit and not worth the noise or the weight and would be better as hard tops.
The only one butthurt here is clearly you since you felt the need to defend your Z from my opinion on convertibles.

Whether a convertible is on a roadster or a sedan it doesn't change what it is.

And my mom owns a Z4 roadster after she gave me her 323ci.
It's still the same bullshit. Top is up 80% of the time. Still loud.
When down still can't hear music, still can't talk to your passenger, still annoying wind.
All the things inherent to a convertible regardless of what car it's on.

>They are still convertibles and thus, to me, shit and not worth the noise or the weight and would be better as hard tops.
Shitty opinion is shitty. You can't base your whole opinion of a type of car off some cuck 3 series without a roof lol. Thats just narrow minded and retarded. Besides, the Z4M roadster is lighter and faster than the coupe.
>Whether a convertible is on a roadster or a sedan it doesn't change what it is.
Which means you don't know shit about what you are talking about man. I'm not trying to be mean I'm just saying you have very, very narrow experience with cars.

Try a real roadster without a roof someday, and I'd bet it will change your mind. Convertibles are gay, roadsters are goat. You just don't know it yet. If you were local I'd take you for a spirited ride user.

Random question, but do you also hate bikes?
>When down still can't hear music
Thats just not true unless you have some terrible base model
>still can't talk to your passenger, still annoying wind
Then it sounds like you just want to be wrapped up in a box user. No one can help you then

>It's still the same bullshit. Top is up 80% of the time. Still loud.
Which means you probably enjoy driving appliance cars, right? What is your DD user?

I'm not trying to say "I'm right and you're wrong" but you seem to have missed the whole point of my first post. You don't seem to really be a car guy. If you aren't a car guy, then a roadster is NOT for you.

Classic sports cars are pretty fun. The only sucky thing is driving through long freeway underpasses with the top down because of how fucking loud they amplify the road noise.

my dd is a '75 2002
I like appliance cars if I'm doing appliance car shit. I could see having a roadster as a weekend car if it was a true sports car like an elise or a 4c, but I would not want one as a DD or restrict myself to one just because I wanted a small rwd car and miata was all that I could get.

You DD a 2002 yet you think your mum's Z4 is uncivil?
>I could see having a roadster as a weekend car if it was a true sports car like an elise or a 4c, but I would not want one as a DD or restrict myself to one just because I wanted a small rwd car and miata was all that I could get.
Well thats what M roadsters and boxster S's are for. I wouldn't want to drive a drop top if it wasn't top of the line either, so in that regard I get what you are saying. But there is a huge difference between a late 2000's/modern drop top and older ones. No headliner, no thanks.

Regardless, it sounds like you just don't like roadsters lol. I still think a few days with my car would change your mind tho.

So, on a more civil note, can you post pics of your car? I'm a huge BMW fan

>10 oudda 10 visibility with the top down
>slightly off smell in car, not sure if its dampness from possibly leaky top or just stale black ice
>grils love it and/or want one of their own
>dat crisp night air

Good post, thanks.

pros for me would be visibility, feeling more outside.
cons i'd say it's not as nice if the weather isn't good, top eventually might leak, you'll need sunblock to drive

at the end of they day im pretty interested in a 124 spider abarth.

>although I guess you have helped show him what car not to buy lol

Kek

I had no idea this thread would still be up when I went to bed last night.
I feel like the convertible is calling my name the more I look at them.

>my dd is a '75 2002

And you're complaining about noise?
Cars' NVH have come a long way user

>124 spider abarth.

Looking forward to seeing what they do with Mazda's platform. Dat little turbo is going to be a firecracker, that's for sure.

Make sure you get a proper roadster and not a regular car with the roof chopped off

Best decision ever!!!

Def. You have to have the convertible designed in.
Redline or regular?

RedLine...most definitely

Nice, bet it rips

I drive a 91 Miata and love it, buy one!

my miat