GT86 vs 120/125i coupe

After 7 years on the road in an underpowered coldhatch, it's time to graduate and get babby's first real car. I've been saving up for a while now, ready to pull the trigger this summer. The benchmark is the GT86.

My dad wants me to get 1 series BMW instead of a Toyobaru. Despite having owned a 1st gen and a 2nd gen Celica and remembering them fondly, he's so dead set on getting me to buy a bimmer he's willing to chip in.

I've told him so many times "when I'm your age, I'll probably want the comfortable beamer with the wood trim aswell", but I'm not even sure anymore. The 120i is probably a tiny bit weaker whereas the 125i's trusty straight-6 should be more powerful. What about the ride, how do they compare? I've driven a GT86 and a Z4 back to back a while ago and felt right at home in the Toyota while the BMW would've take a bit of getting used to. I'd assume the 1 series is even further away from what I'm looking for than the Z4.

I'm not dead set on either, but these are the main options I'm considering right now.

Other urls found in this thread:

m.youtube.com/watch?v=L8mF9vRsv7s
zeperfs.com/en/duel2693-4069.htm
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

m.youtube.com/watch?v=L8mF9vRsv7s
If this outright shilling can be trusted, the GT should handle a lot better

Follow your heart

With this on the way, can I expect prices to drop by the end of the year? Still can't find many under €20k, not even the 4 year old models with 50,000 km mileage.

Maybe. The refresh is ugly as fuck, but it should perform much better.

The revised brz looks awesome though.

Here is my frs

Why do u have to buy such shitty 1 series? Are u poor poor or something? I didnt even know bmw made a car slower than the 86 lol.

>perform much better
Really? When did they announce a turbo version?
I read that it handles even better, but I really don't know how it could be MUCH better with a similar budget.

God damned your wheels are ugly.

Not interested in a 1700kg 3 series. Can't really compare the 340bhp 1M with the Toyota, now can we?

Jesus christ yuropoor buy a fucking 128i or 135i it isnt that hard

Give me the money and I will in a heartbeat. Are you trying to make fun of me for not having 30 grand to blow on a car in my early 20s?

Kids these days...

Revised intake and exhaust manifold. More aggressive gearing. Probably a better tune. Stuff you can do aftermarket, but it will probably make at least 15more HP to the wheels.

No one keeps the stock wheels.

go for subaru brz

>Stuff you can do aftermarket
I'd bolt on some form of forced induction once the wallet allows me to anyway.
I heard the ride is worse than the Toyota's and most BRZs I see have some 90's radio. If I find a better deal that leaves money for a better radio, I'll go for that of course.

i read that BRZs are less tail happy than GT86 and therefore I prefer it

The early 86s are more prone to overseer. After a couple of years toyota revised the suspension to make it more neutral like the brz.

They probably did this after kids kept crashing their 86 trying to drift. Most people say the early 86 is more fun to drive around on public roads.

Wouldn't proper tires solve the problem as well? I'm not planning to put it sideways deliberately.

I'd buy a used M3 in your situation

The 125i is actually quicker
0-60 in 6 seconds for the 125i, 7.5 seconds for the GT86 lol
OP get the bmw

I can barely afford insuring a GT86, an M3 would be impossible.
>quicker
>0-60 in 6 seconds
Literally irrelevant figures. I'd get something entirely different if I wanted to go fast in a straight line.

Oversteer isn't a bad thing user. I enjoy the stock set up and I don't go drifting or anything.

All you would need to do is swap the struts and shocks from a brz though

Get an E46 M3 m8

>Oversteer isn't a bad thing user
Apparently it was for Toyota. It's a shame they cut down on the fun to prevent kids from DORIFTOing into guard rails. Should've just put wider stock tires on, considering they chose the Prius wheels to make it easier to drift in the first place.

BMWs have never been straight line racers. The car will be overall quicker.

I'd be genuinely interested in some lap times to back that up. makes the BMW look like it doesn't handle anywhere near as good as a GT86 or Miata.

Do you have any proof that the 1 series will be faster than the gt86 other than ''lol bmw has cars like m3 so obviously all of them are just as good''

there is one lap time, pic related
The 120i is slow as fuck, 0-60 in 8.3 seconds
Get the 125i

newer bmws are too pigfat, get the slowabaru

>1469kg vs 1180kg
I think I know which one I'd pick

And this
zeperfs.com/en/duel2693-4069.htm

>no dipstick
>buying the small engine
>buying a BMW after the e46, e39, e38, and m coupe
Shiggy diggy.

The BMW is faster in every aspect, and at least the 125i has a godly n/a inline six engine sound. Also the interior is much better and the BMW would be a better daily driver. The gt86 could still make a decent track car probably, because of the aftermarket

125i is a better car in every possible way and has the same aftermarket potential.

gt86 is probably a decent amount cheaper, though.

>pigfat
>worse handling
>bmw ""reliability""
>expensive maintenance

nice meme germaboo

So, it beats it in every performance test including laptimes and somehow in your brain that makes it worse?

>worse handling
>is actually faster on track
nice trolle

Doesn't change the fact that modern bmws drive like shit.
>few ms faster with an huge power advantage

>modern BMWs drive like shit
And you call me the memer.. lol

keep parroting shit you heard from a clerk at autozone faggot.

The Toyota has a better power to weight ratio than the BMW
The E87 chassis is superior, its the same chassis the 1M was based on
Also OP i'd recommend at least a 130i, much faster than the 125i and the price difference should be small

>implying all bmws are like the big m models

the cheap ones drive like shit and you cant even turn of all the nannies.

>
looks at track times and not how much control you felt while getting that time. plz go buy a mustang and put some wide , grippy tires. thats what you americans need

riiightt

You savages don't even know what good handling even means. You think you can find out how quick a car is by multiplying torque with maximum lateral Gs.

get an 86

I sold my gt86 for a pontiac g8 6.0

so much happier having cabin room, not having to stoop down to get in, having a decent interior, not having to rev to 5k just to keep up with stop/go traffic, keeping resale value, having leather

I was looking at other used american luxury before i found this. less than 300 hp is fuckin miserable unless you are use and abusing an econobox

>gt86
> gotta launch it at 5500 rmp to get some tire squeeking even on those shit tires

> ls2 powaa
> half throttle and you are spinning wheels

passing on the highway

>gt86
> downshift to 4th
> redlining to the end of 5th gear
> wow it only took 6 seconds to get from 70-95

> ls2 powaa
> forget i have a v8, 3/4 throttle
> feel the inertia while you rocket to 110 in 3 seconds

>american luxury
>decent interior
>leather
>not having to rev
>tire squeeking
>ls2 powaa
>spinning wheels
>passing on the highway
>v8, 3/4 throttle
>rocket to 110 in 3 seconds

Somehow missed two imporant parts.
>having cabin room
>not having to stoop down to get in

> listening to lynyrd skynyrd with the windows down glancing at your pontiac badge

GT86 will be more rare, and looks objectively better, but normies will like the beamer more because it's a BMW. The "BMW reliability" is a meme, the petrol engines are no less reliable than any weebshit, it's just salty ecoboxfags memes. It's quite alot heavier but it'll sound and feel nicer, as it's considered an i6 entry level luxury car instead of your average ricekid's 97 civic. Ultimately it's down to your preference, both get decent MPG, are ok for daily driving and both are fun to drive. They both perform somewhat similiar and neither of them is a racecar, so performance comes second to personal preference.

Go for the 135i or better yet the 335i. The N54 is a crack whore for mods. Ive driven both 1 and 3 series and prefer the 3 byfar. Much better looks and room but still feels just as sporty

I can't really afford that and I won't get a BMW with 150kkm just to have a bigger engine. I don't care about room and I don't like the looks of the BMW all that much either. I don't really want the extra horsepower at the cost of the car weighing 1600 kg. I'll drive a brand new 3 series soon anyway, so I'll see for myself just how "sporty" grandpa's sedan really is.

I hope this was the last post recommending a car from a completely different league with a completely different price tag.

Fun fact: the latest 3 series is the sportiest and lightest car in the market today.

lightest in its class*

the cars in it's class are the same size as an E39 now

That's not a fun fact, that's an irrelevant fact, the F150 could be the sportiest and lightest pickup truck and I wouldn't care. I don't need the back seats or the boot space, I'm not very tall and will at most ferry around my only car enthusiast friend I have. If I go on vacation we'll go in a VW T3, if I know I'll need to haul shit or people I can always borrow my dad's station wagon.

I'm really only looking for a fun car that'll last me for a decade at least without having to spend more time working on it and for money to buy parts than actually driving it.

I'd rather get an E39 M5 than an E90 335i if I wanted a full size sedan, to be quite honest.

Lol dude the new Toyota GT86 is going to have 205HP

Yeah but I think his point is it will actually almost make the power this time, not leave 30 horses somewhere

>M coupe

Lol which one you do know they made a z4 and z3 coupe right and they'te both amazing if anything the z4 is far superior except for the design

Wasn't 10 to 15% loss normal? I've been in a Saturn Sky once that was rated at 260 bhp, felt less powerful than the 181 bph Mercedes I was driving at that time. I don't really give a fuck about what numbers a piece of paper or display of a dyno say, as long as it feels good and powerful.

Didn't Toyota themselves say they're intentionally leaving the engine N/A and let the aftermarket sort out the forced induction? Isn't the clutch ridiculously overzised for the stock engine to allow for simple and easy upgrades to the engine without having to upgrade many existing parts?

they're both atrocious

buy something that isn't terrible

Honestly the 1 series BMW is the best car I've driven. I like them fast and light though.

But still. Amazing.