/dfg/ - Dwarf Fortress General

fucking lazy immigrants edition

>Download the basic game here. Current version is Dwarf Fortress 0.43.06
bay12games.com/dwarves/

>Official forums:
bay12forums.com/smf/index.php

>Find a bug? Don't tell us! Tell Toady! Complaining in the thread will accomplish nothing.
bay12games.com/dwarves/mantisbt

>Have a question? Check the wiki first:
dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/Main_Page

>Fireden archived threads:
boards.fireden.net/vg/search/subject/Dwarf Fortress/

>Dwarf Therapist (Out of Date):
bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=122968.0

>DFHack (Out of Date):
bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=139553.0

>Starter Pack (Out of Date):
bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=126076.0

>More DF stuff:
pastebin.com/AnsHjQ40

>Dwarf Fortress General IRC chat:
en.irc2go.com/webchat/?net=freenode&room=dwarffortress
(to connect yourself: webchat.freenode.net #dwarffortress)

>A bunch of guides to various parts of fort-based living:
imgur.com/a/nGyRF#0

>Video tutorials:
youtube.com/playlist?list=PLBrdUj1adIBD-vgUodaaxebcdqQ4oEWtg
youtube.com/playlist?list=PLD1A3FE72C0DCAC66 (Dated, but good)

>Text tutorials:
dwarffortresswiki.org/DF2014:Tutorials
members.iinet.net.au/~morty/Getting_Started_with_Dwarf_Fortress.pdf

>This pasta:
pastebin.com/iAduXzjn

Strike the earth!

Other urls found in this thread:

dwarffortresswiki.org/Tileset_repository
dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/DF2014:Alligator_man
youtube.com/watch?v=2C6oaUFeYJQ
youtube.com/watch?v=rg7RVLm03t0
twitter.com/AnonBabble

whoops forgot to link previous thread

Lazy immigrants AND nobles!

kobolds aren't cute when they're dead sub-edition

they often freak out when they see corpses. a few severed goblin ears stuck in a tree is enough to do the trick sometimes.

>have to leave to do real-life things
>save and exit
>come back
>wait the two in-game update weeks as usual
>the dwarves have fucked everything up
Apparently they decided dumping all of my food stockpiles onto the floor so they could move the barrels that it was stored in to the furniture stock pile was a good idea

my party was interrupted by a page ten. no, that's not annoying

And why the FUCK did they move the cabinets onto their fucking beds
what the fuck

By the way, are these things common occurrences? Like, should I expect shit like this to happen every time I save and exit? Because now I'm going to have to redo all of my food stockpiles and all of my living quarters too.

Wait, did you save, or retire?

this is the weirdest bait I've ever tasted. I need to bite down on it to figure out what it is

you're talking about retiring/reclaiming, that shit happens during the 2 week sim. saving and exiting doesn't involve retiring the fort

How do you specify specific images again? I go into details but all I can specify is the stone type.

FUCK
I retired
this is my first time playing Fortress mode and I've played adventure mode so long that I didn't even think to look for a real save option
Fuck me

>He thinks retiring is necessary every time you save

what type of job are you talking about? some things don't have an image associated with them, eg. doors and cabinets (if you want an image on them, it has to be done via decoration, which can then have its image specified)

They tried to put them atop the ends of their beds for "efficiency" and it all went terribly, terribly wrong.

Rock crafts.

At least it wasn't too much of a set back
My food stockpile is already ready to go again and I designated an emergency furniture stockpile while I redo all of my bedrooms
I have been playing this game for three years and I didn't even know you could save
you learn something new everyday I guess

>playing for three years
>didn't know you could save
mein sides, user, haf ju zeen zem?

You don't have to retire an adventurer to save and exit either. Are you fucking serious?

Some migrants have arrived.

The only rock craft that have an image specified for it is figurines. You have to choose those specifically (not the general rock crafts job) to be able to specify an image for it.

yes

Oh duh, rock crafts don't necessarily have an image, I have to specify figurines for that.

I don't have an appropriate reaction image for the strange combination of mirth and consternation you've caused me so I'm posting Gamera.
Pic unrelated. It's Gamera. And telephone poles or something.

How the FUCK are the beastmen in adventure mode? I've never controlled any before, but they seem pretty useful.

Birds fly, bugs have extra arms, big things are big. About what you would expect. Good luck finding armor.

Can I make a custom 32x32 tileset or is the game 16x16 exclusive

dwarffortresswiki.org/Tileset_repository
They can go to at least 64x64.

How are alligator men?

>Dig into cavern
>fps drops from 100 to 40
>"Well its still relatively fi-"
>Siege
>3fps

They can go quite a bit bigger than 64x64 but you really need a screen that is like 5120x2880?

Annoying to gear, probably fun to chomp the shit out of people.

Big, bitey, amphibious.
dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/DF2014:Alligator_man

The nonsquare version also.

ADVENTURE MODE CARAVANS WHEN

Probably after boats, or bundled with boats given their economic implications.

So this is weird. Dorf veteran here with some weird shit going on.

Playing through a new fort on 43.05 (By the way is there an update for dfhack and dwarftherapist this version yet?)

Embarked in a pretty normal area. Kobold, Goblin, human, and dwarf civs within range at start. Plenty of caravans still going on. Got a couple of thieves and finally I get invaded by a force of darkness.

I'm eager to get the action ball rolling and stay out of the caverns as much as possible for this fort. I check the siege and its about 6 goblins. I find this pretty weird, shouldn't that be classified as an ambush? I wait for more to spawn but thats the whole force. I kill them all and the [siege] mark goes away.

Shortly thereafter, some kind of giant or titan megabeast spawns and immediately I get a migrant wave very close to it. This is unfortunate and it kills every migrant before my military reaches it.

But my military reaches him on the bridge and he ends up getting tossed in the water and drowning along with a couple o dorfs.

Their sacrifices are memorialized of course but then something curious happens. Years pass. its been at least 2 maybe 3 years. In this time I've gotten plenty of caravans, but only two waves of migrants. Each wave only had one single migrant!!. And there hasn't been a single goblin or kobold at all, not even a thief nor snatcher.

The fuck is going on bros.

Dying civ?

No dfhack yet, no clue on rapist.

Nope theres been really no other deaths, and my fortress wealth is growing, especially since I just got a bit of adamantium

also all the other civs are still listed on the 'c' screen for civs

>five years
>60k exported wealth
>still no gobbos

Were they listed as neighbors when you embarked? Did you embark far, far away from any actual goblin settlements?

No. I know that goblins should be sieging, they're just not.

>Today is the 10th anniversary of the first release of Dwarf Fortress! Apparently it was time for us to get a taste of what we've been dishing out, as we've been showered with crayon drawings through the mail. Thanks to everybody that has played the game, enjoyed the stories and supported Bay 12 through the years. On to the next decade!

Does anyone else add hooves and antlers to elves? I feel like it fits them.

I make them turn into logs when killed. Not only does it fit them, it also turns them into a precious natural resource, crucial to my industries.

I'd change it to be a wooden statue of an elf but I can see how your method would be more efficient.

gee I wonder how Gozru got the name Banditthief

why, because they're bosmer shits, cannibalism and all?

Pretty much yeah.

Any advice on making a fortress by digging straight into the ground instead of a hill or cliff?I'm a total newbie and all my forts have been hill forts, but my new embark has no hills

>tfw carving out your new homes from virgin rock
The elves wish they could be this intimate with mother earth.

what's the deal with cave dragons? haven't seen any in a few versions

There's no advice to give. So long as you secure the basic needs (food and alchohol + a defensible position) you can do whatever you want.

youtube.com/watch?v=2C6oaUFeYJQ

Best theme for Dwarf Fortress y/n? Pay attention to the lyrics. I feel it fits almost disturbingly well. It makes me feel things.

The best theme for DF is the theme it already has. It's too impersonal for vocals.

I haven't seen any either, but I thought they were supposed to be fairly rare?

I'll have to kill off all these damn troglodytes and bugbats to keep the spawns coming I guess

I like to cage everything then drop them all in a pit for archery practice.

Has anyone ever built a fort entirely out of stairs? Just one big cube with no structure. I wonder how insanely deadly combat would be.

I can't decide would that be good or bad for the fps.

>Rimworld getting more attention and news than dwarf fort on DFs tenth fucking bday

plebs gonna pleb

I don't give a fuck rimshit. Is it even in development anymore?

As long as DF and Toady gets the donations they need, I'm happy.

If a tree falls in the forest and nobody's around to blame, do the elves declare war on nature?

I really really wish these descriptions explained the reasons, the races of whos attacking/being attacked, where and WHY these attacks happen. Otherwise it all just seems so meaningless no different than "THINGS ARE HAPPENING, BYE".

youtube.com/watch?v=rg7RVLm03t0

Guys

I'm getting into DF, embarked nicely near a little delta and the area north seems perfect to dig into if I can find a cliff face there

Question is how to I even move the view north of where I marked on the screenshot?

It seems retarded to dig into the cliffsides on either side of the river delta here, I gotta go north

what do

abandon fortress

embark north

Ramps can be used in combination with 3 width tunnels to create a path to an indoor trading depot. Tie up a dog or some other animal near your entrance as a lookout. Use a bridge to seal your fortress so that no one can get in or out. If you settle near a stream try digging out an aqueduct very carefully so that you can have a well indoors. Have your farms somewhere where there is dirt and you won't have to irrigate them. You know, the general stuff.

>One of the adventure start locations no longer available

I DIDN'T KNOW YOU COULD KILL OFF ALL THE HEROES

Hey guys, the first slab I found in a necro tower turned out to be made of divine metal for some reason. It's actually light enough to be carried around, so I wonder: is there anything I can actually do with it once I read it, like smelting it into weapons?

use it to smash important figures faces in

I tried throwing it at people but it just falls 1 tile away. It's still weighs 60 units despite being made of rare candy

just wield the thing, 60 is pretty heavy and will smash faces up good

Never stop digging down

They kindly ask the nature to stop falling trees, or else...
They are pretty dumb t b h

Is there any point at all to immigrants? I read that after two years they'll apply to be a citizen and then you can force them to work, is that true?

>sort dwarves by sexuality
>see this

>he doesn't mod out aberrant behaviour

You mean visitors. So yes.

The wiki claims that once you accept a goblin/elf/human into your fort, you will learn goblin/elf/human recipes as well, so big swords, pikes, whips, wind instruments, etc.

If you want lots of divine metal just raid an angel vault, they each have 25 angelic warriors and often have extremity armor and lots of weapons.

It seems so. I've gotten adventure embark sites that are no longer an option... while there's still population there.

There's only one last elven forest retreat in my world, which only had 24 in it and dwindled to 18 in short order, so I made a bunch of heavily trained and powerful elven adventurers to protect it.

You can assign migrants labors as soon as they arrive. It's long-term visitors that apply for citizenship after a year or two.

makes for effective military members, and I honestly didnt even know asexual was a thing in DF

Have legends viewer open in a separate window to help parse.

Migrants can decide your fort is too dangerous to visit.

If I make a support out of non-magma safe material, then flood it with magma, it should deconstruct right?
I'm making magma tombs for my fallen warriors, and I don't want to disrespect them by fucking it up.

wait until you get a rare breeding pair and they turn out to be fags that's where the funs at

I was under the impression that constructions are impervious to lava etc. So yes, holding up a mountain on one pillar of ice submerged in lava and on a pillar of soap submerged in water should be safe.

supports are not magma proof

But supports aren't constructions they're buildings. I want to collapse the staircase rather then submerge it and have it blinking in the lava.

Thanks

Now that I think about it I can just connect them to a lever just in case they keep standing.

"He is distracted after being unable to acquire something".

What could that something be? An item made out of material he likes?

new threads

how remove cavy boar coprses? the tunnels are full of miamsa and I need to use them

refuse/corpse stockpile?

haha eppiiiiiiiiiiiiin friend ill meme this right away!

go ahead, it's all yours my friend :)

>supports aren't constructions they're buildings
kek
only in dwarf fucking fortress

Anyone know what the stats on bogeymen are? Are they fire proof?

I'm dying to see the crayon drawings Toady got on DF's anniversary. Will he ever publish them?

Supports made from magma proof materials are.

are you sure