Are you a negotiation talent?

What was the most you could talk a dealer down when buying a car?

£100, the asking price was £950

dealer asking $12000 + tax and costs to get on road
paid $11000 including all taxes, 12 months registration, and new window tint

$2000 to $900 on a 1992 Volvo 240 wagon.

$69,500 to $62,500, though I'm sure they just wanted to move the car. I didn't really have to try that hard.

26500 sticker and I paid 21500 for it. I have no idea why, I just asked what they could do for me. A dealer 20 miles away said they wouldn't budge off the sticker.

>12months registration
That's included

>sticker price was 19,935$ for civic manual
>dealership payed my down-payment payed my first month payment gave me wheel locks a trunk tray and mud guards.
>total price was 18400$ with taxes and fees
>literally drove off the lot with brand new civic and didn't give them a fucking dime.
>mfw credit score was 735

With a dealer for a used car I can usually get 20-30% off with a private party the sky's the limit.

>26500 sticker and I paid 21500 for it. I have no idea why, I just asked what they could do for me.
You lucky ass.
Normally they just laugh if you "ask" what they could do price wise and you really have to go hard on them or nothing will happen. At least around here.

Yeah the guy looked nervous after I told him I had driven a used one on another lot that was 19k and had been looking around. He got the sweat sheen on his forehead and gave me a low number right away.

Try doing that in the Denver area. Dealers give no fucks since the whole world is moving in and some shmo will buy it tomorrow anyways.

i mean, if you paid cash that would be an ok deal.
But you financed it - so it really doesn't matter how much they came down in price. You're still going to pay way more than $18,400 and that's all the dealer cares about. It's not about the sticker price anymore.

this applies to everyone who financed a car in this thread.

Denver Craigslist is the same shit, except they're often more than at a dealer. And people get so buttburnt when you make an offer.

>2005 altima with 120,000 miles
>dealer was asking $4000
>I paid $4000
I am a negotiating pro

>2016
>not leasing and never paying full sticker

>leasing
I have to admit, ~$12k for 3 years of a nice car with bumper-to-bumper is pretty attractive.

Thinking about an Audi A3 lease soon.

If you always want the newest of the new then leasing is a good option. The dealer is still making a shit ton of money on that car though. You lose no matter which route you take - just make sure you can afford to lose.

I usually buy from a private party. I do lots of research on the going rates locally before I even start meeting with people and negotiating so I know what I should be paying for a "good deal". It helps when you have the money in the bank and can cut them a check that same day so.

I paid asking price on one of my motorcycles though because it was already a decent deal and literally had everything I wanted already on it, had absurdly low miles, and the guy I was buying it from was an aerospace engineer for lockheed martin who had 8 other motorcycles in his garage and everything was immaculately maintained in there. I've never seen a garage that was so clean and well laid out. He even had extra tires and a whole box full of extra parts, receipts, all the original parts he had taken off and replaced, service manual, etc. The guy obviously didn't need the money and was only selling the bike because he had just bought another new Ducati and his wife told him that he needed to sell one of his other bikes that he never rides. He didn't really want to sell it and told me that if I was to sell it in the future then I'd have to bring it back and let him have the first chance at it.

>accepting a check
kek

>tfw you get paid 200 benjamins for a car

By check I mean a cashier's check from my bank.

First car I bought, the guy asked for 3800, I offered 3200 and he gave me 40 dollars for gas so basically 3160 I payed.

>mother wants new car
>decides on make, model
>looks up dealership inventory in surrounding area for said make/model
>finds exact color and trim package that she wants at nearby dealership
>goes to dealership with my dad, finds exact car she saw online, does test drive, gets to price negotiating stage
>salesman says, "Most of these cars with the upgraded engine, premium Bose sound system, and this trim package come with leather seats but this one only has cloth upholstery, I hope we can work something out."
>before dad can say anything mom says, "No, that's great! I don't like leather seats and prefer cloth, I looked up this car online and it's EXACTLY what I wanted."
>after car is bought and they're driving home mom asks dad why he didn't try to haggle harder to get a better deal.....

Not a dealer but a private sale
> asking $2,800
> Talk down to $2,500
> Then talked down to $2,300

In terms of actually negotiating for my own cars:

-About 14K off the price of my SLK

-On my ML, dealer was asking 10K plus taxes and fees, got him to 4000 on the road

In terms of just good deals I have managed to snag through my dealership or at auction:

-95 Miata for 500 bucks, no issues, 135K on the clock

-05 Pilot EX-L AWD for my wife, 115K, no issues 10/10 inside and out for around 4K

-01 E320 4matic for myself, 10/10 inside and out, around 60K miles when I got it, for 2K

For other people:

-2014 C300 4matic, pano roof, nav, KeyGo, Premium I and Sports I packages for my mom, 20K miles, for 22K

-2011 Town and Country Touring L, 54K, literally everything but a sunroof, for my in-laws for 15K

I'm actually looking at a car with a striker price of $5995. Would it be offensive to offer $3500?

Didint negotiate my truck but i did help my dad screw a dealership
>parents Yukon is starting to get piston slap
>you can only hear it when it isnt at operating temperature
>only has like 80 thounsad miles
>at the same time dad devolps a hard on for the new tundra
>i know my dad when be gets like this he will get rid of the yukon and get the tundra
>1 week after the problem appears dad eants to go "look around"
>hes ganna buy a truck today goddammit
>have to ge with my parents because im the only one who can talk sense into him
>dad floats to some TRD 4x4 tundra and is hell bent and buying it
>talk to a dealer there hes pretty cool isnt really trying to move the truck
>mom and dad like the truck
>thing was pretty comfy and nice desu senpai
>make the mistake of mentioning the TRD PRO
>trucks around 60 grand after finacing and about 5 grand more the the 4x4
>parents have been debt free for a while and have good credit
>dads a conpelte pussy when it comes to negotiating
>he can make you buy someyhing off of him but he cant be on the seller end he falls apart
>yukon was ganna be a trade in
>it was an 08 i believe
>good condition besides the piston slap
>they offer us 12 grand it
>blue booked for around 17 and parents still owe about 15
>dad says thats a fair price
>HOLDTHEFUCKUP
>i came prepared for this tell the dealer that is a ridiculous offer we want 18 for its a good car its in amazing shape no problems with it what so ever
>gives me some bs he csnt offer us more then what they owe on it
>simply tell him yes you can
>walks back to whoever deals with the numbers
>comes back with 17,500 for the yukon
>didint think theyd even take my offer seriously
>mom and dad are fucking estatic and sign all the paper work for the tundra
Im sure that dealership wasnt happy the next day when they started up that yukon they just over payed for

>gives me some bs he can't offer us more then what they owe on it

And this is why you shouldn't ever feel bad about "screwing" a dealership, because they pretty much screw everyone who walks in the door.

>gives me some bs he csnt offer us more then what they owe on it
lolwut

Say you're on your last payment, they can't give you more than $300 for the car?

Top kek, that's the biggest line of BS I've heard.

>Outback had a sticker on $13k
>got it for $11.5k

Probably could have done a little better, but you always can. Plus it needed ~$1000 of work that the dealer took care of.

Who cares if it's offensive. That's the offer you want them to know you are willing to make before negotiation.
Let them try to talk you up, and you try to talk them down.

They might be wanting to make a profit, and there is nothing "offensive" or wrong about dealing with money. It's not a damn sexual relationship.

this
No offer is too low, if they won't take it then that's fine but they're the ones that are out of line if they get mad at your offer "being too low". It is in their best interest to sell the vehicle for a high price and it is in your best interest to buy the vehicle at a low price, if the lowest price they're willing to take doesn't coincide with the highest price that you're willing to pay then you just move on to the next vehicle.

It's the same way with houses and property -- people who worry about "offending sellers" by offering to pay a price "too far" below asking price are idiots, the worst that can happen is that the seller refuses your offer. If they get mad then you just go on to look at other houses and keep it up until you get a deal that you're happy with.

best bet is having a friend on his fone come along. my strategy has always been to figure out the newest guy at the stealership and have your buddy periodically come up to you and say hes found one online for xxxx lower price. 9/10 the gm wants the new guy to get a sale so bad, he'll bend to the haggle. best ive done this way was a new panasonic plasma for $350 sticker price $1200

Back when I played WOW I got cucked by this same process... I got an epic BOE item from a random group run and was trying to sell it on the trade channel. I was asking about 20k gold for the item and then someone offered me like 6k gold for it and was trying to convince me that it wasn't worth any more than that... right after that I started getting more offers for 5k-6k gold for the item with those people saying the same thing. I ended up selling it for 7k gold and only after I sold it found out that everyone who was messaging me saying the item wasn't worth shit were all from the same guild or from alt guilds associated with the main guild... A few hours later the guy I sold the item to for 7k gold was trying to sell it in the trade channel for 26k gold... Of course it was all my fault for being a gullible dumbass but I still felt wronged.

It's silly to still be pissed off about this event many years later when I don't even play WOW anymore but I can see how an inexperienced salesman can get caught up in shit like that.

yeah, m8 its just sooper easymode in real life body cues conversation sociopath style tactics. anyway suxx that happened to you, at least u werent playing eve onlinehere stuff was worth much more in real life? neway ive talked a dealer down from 3500 for a rusty miata to $1k then walked away... was a sand niggr and i just needed the lulz

C'mon man, it's not even equivalent... All I was trying to say is that an inexperienced seller might be swayed one way or another by multiple 3rd party influences that occur right at the time of sale.

And this is why car dealerships have a "management figure" that they must go to in order to get prices okayed. The "manager" won't be as likely to be caught up in those sort of tactics but like another user said, they might really be pulling for a new salesman to get a sale under their belt so they sometimes let a really good deal slide.

well just to go back to op's original question, dealer asked for $1200 for a not beat to shit m3, i made a few subtle forchinz/WAT references and the rest was history(awkwardly cried into the dealers pubes "afterwards" till i managd 8k for a used sorento

Legitimately thats what he told us i didint believe it but i didint think about what you said and if you are the last payment thats fucking funny
The same guy tried to sell me a FRS i couldnt fit into, my shoulders were to wide and my head was grazing the roof he said it was perfect for me

Unlike all the the other faggots in this state I'm actually from here and don't want to be here.

Living costs are sky rocketing and doing anything in the mountains stopped being fun years ago from pop density. The seasons are extremely varied, inconsistent, is a salt state, not very lush, super gray and polluted around the metro, and traffic sucks dick.

People come here for weed, buy a season skiing pass for a months salary, then end up commuting 30 minutes to work every day to only go skiing or biking MAYBE 9-10 times a year. There's literally nothing else this state has to offer and I have no idea why people like it.

Then they get salty and throw their shit up on CL for almost MSRP because they're in full damage control mode to recuperate losses from living the meme. That's how that happens.