Toyora MR2 or MG TF

Looking at getting a small sports car. Already had an MX-5 so now I'm thinking of something mid-engined. Reliability and handling/comfort wise, which is better, MR2 or MG TF? I know the latter should be more practical, but that's not a concern.

MR2 hands down.

For what reasons?

are you slow? you really think an mg is comparable to a toyota in terms of reliability?

Get an MR2, but an SW20 turbo. The MR-S is degenerate. If you want a convertible, some SW20s have T-Tops.

Not really, but I don't know how much more of a problem the MG could be.

>The MR-S is degenerate.

You're an idiot.

Obligatory

>SW20 Turbo 0-60: 6.1s
>ZZW30 NA 0-60: 6.8s

Muh turbo, muh lines
The car is 20+ years old, and not much faster stock.

MR-S is basically if the "New Beetle" came as a roadster
Older car, easier to fix and mod. Do you want a plastic cover over your engine? Lastly, the spare tire is in the actual trunk space of the MR-S, and it doesn't have a trunk behind the engine like the SW20, so you either don't have a trunk, or a spare tire.

MR2 MK3 1zz engine is crap. No power and short block problem.

Make a 2zz swap.

kill yourself, faggot

Why didnt Toyota sell the MR2 with the 2zz from the Celica?

>Older car easier to fix and mod
The engine bay is easier to get to, granted, but it's not more worth modding than a zzw30. Put a 2zz or, god forbid, a k20 into it and you've got a kickass machine than will destroy the equivalent mods you put in and spend to maintain a old performance car. NA power that slots in super easily means far less maintenance for equal performance.

As for space requirements, the frunk of the sw20 is kickass, but the car is heavy as balls compared to it. One of the only things the car has going for it is the nicer aesthetics, which can be partly remedied with a simple lowkey spoiler and coilovers.

The MR2 can suffer problems with the pre-cat disintegrating and the remains being sucked back into the engine. The MG TF has a K-Series engine and suffers the same engine problems every other k-series rover had, along with the normal poor build quality. The TF uses normal springs instead of the hydrolastic shit that was in the F

That does explain the rock-bottom prices these cars are going for. Is it even worth buying an MG without having a lot of spare £ to fix it up?

Why don't you make me, crybaby ;^)

I mean they really aren't too dissimilar, but at the end of the day, I don't think an SW20 will be harder to maintain, faster (stock) and it looks a lot better. Since OP is considering a damn MG, I don't think he would have too much of a problem with an older car that's still a Toyota.
At the end of the day, whatever he can get in his price range that he's happy with should be fine.

Ever heard the expression
>It's all over, red rover
Never trust a rover engine

Haven't heard it yet, heard it now!

Kind of true. I'm just looking for a fun, cheap roadster that won't kill me with maintenance and will be easy on the eye.

Of course it would be harder to maintain, unless you're the 2nd ever owner, the car is likely thrashed, and you would have to be extremely lucky - or someone paid a fortune - if every component on it is less than 20+ years old and about to shit itself.

It's no longer faster stock either. Old cars lose horses unless the car is pristine. It looks better, thats all.

Buy a good one then.
I spent like a year looking for my Miata, 1996, 70k miles, no mods at all (besides new coil-overs), regular maintenance, only two owners before me for $4k. Only problem was I had to drive 550 miles, rent a trailer and bring it back. Was worth.

That explains it, you haven't had to do maintenance with a forced induction car. It's a little more hands on, and gets fragile with age if people don't take care of it. You can't just bring it to get serviced once every 6 months if you intend for it to stay in good condition. Older performance cars are hobby cars, user.

>Older performance cars are hobby cars
Not with that attitude.

The only problem with the rover k-series is the original headgasket. Once that has been changed for a multilayer steel one, there is less that is going to go wrong with it than the 1zz.

Having driven both, the MRS is more solidly built and handles better, but the TF is more fun and more practical.

Oh wait, I accidentally my sentence.
You get what I mean though

>Toyora MR2 or MG TF
Do you have a Penis or Vagina? Very straightforward to figure out really.

Nothing wrong with em if you have the time to treat em right, but yeah, I get what you mean

I have a penis. But I think the Toyota is the more girly-looking one. That said, I did have an NB MX-5 so girlishness is at the bottom of the list.

FWD roadsters are as girly as it gets

Everything

MX5, TF, MR2. Which one of these if FWD again?