86/BRZ/FRS THREAD

>ask 86 related questions
>show your 86 mods
>complain about your torque dip

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=ZFezEFRCMoU
subarubrzforum.com/36-subaru-brz-dyno-numbers-track-times/2894-dyno-numbers-thread.html
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

>guaranteed troll/shitpost thread

Nah, I just know a lot of people on here own 86s.

Here is my FRS. No trolling intended.

I'm sure there will be plenty of shitposting though.

I don't own a toyobaru, but I don't see anything wrong with getting a used one for under 20k

I really wish they had been a bit bolder with the styling on this car. Looks like a 1999 Hyundai Coupe.

It's pretty bland stock. Plenty of options though

Why is a roughly 1 ton 2l 200bhp car being BTFO'd in terms of acceleration and torque by 30 years old 1 ton 2l 200bhp cars?

What 30 year old cars are you referring to?

I just installed mtec clutch springs yesterday, and I swear to God I never stall anymore. I learned clutch on this frs, and I still stall once I'm a blue moon after 2 months, but these springs are so worth it. I'm still sitting on shifting springs I haven't installed yet.

Pic is my frs. Has a axleback exhaust for the rice, and mtec springs. Next install are shift springs then new wheels. Any suggestions for autox wheels? Looking at rpf1

I want one real bad but they're so fucking slow. Honestly these cars are worth like 5k on craigslist then you swap the engine.

>Blaming your lack of skill on the clutch

You shouldn't stall on any clutch, period. Fucking underaged.

Idk, almost everyone I spoke to also agreed that the clutch is nonlinear.
I didn't say I was skilled, I just started learning clutch.

Will the 2017 model year have any performance increases?

how to change frs from a drift to grip machine? harder front bushings, speedier damping, gripper tires? plz explain the importance of this to me.

>Just started learning clutch
Stop calling it that faggot, it's stick shift or manual.

>still no factory STI engine option

I'm waiting for it to fall to around £6-£7k. It's at £12k now. Just 3 or so more years and I'll have one.

Sorry senpai

GT86 failing was Toyota wanting to stick to the purity of the machine. If they had put a bigger engine/hp like BMW 335i (even though BMW 335i has worse weight distribution than 325i), people would have looked upto the GT86 and have no problem in buying the purer version. right now, many get discouraged by no power arguments, thou it has enough if you don't track and know how to shift.

I'm a richfag and want to buy a car for the express purpose of modding the fuck out of it. Is the chassis on the twins conducive to heavy modding? Is the chassis even good enough to warrant me sinking 15k+ in to the car? I have heard the stock engine can't handle much power - is that true? If so, can I swap it with something bigger? Or should I not even bother with them? What modern car is a mod beast? Money is no object.

>>still no factory STI engine option
but user, an 86 with a real engine wouldn't be a shitty car!

So you're wondering why a turbocharged engine makes more torque than an NA engine with the same displacement???

I've driven manuals for over ten years. The stock clutch feel is probably this car's biggest downside.

Is the factory aero kit any good?

Yes, but not enough to justify trading in your car if you already own an 86. The newer car will probably be heavier too.

Tires are an easy start. What do you need more grip for?

The engine is decent, the transmission is the weak point. Anything over 250whp will need a bulkier tranny

Then what about the miata? The ND is as pure as pure and no one's complaining.

and more power* you forgot to add
I'm not wondering, It just seems silly that Toyota can't even compete with a 30yo eurocar. By the way the 1988 E30 320is was N/A and is still faster

How does it feel when you're literally the slowest car on the road?

So...you're wondering why a turbocharged engine makes more torque and power than an NA engine with the same displacement?

Do you want me to explain how turbochargers work user?

Not to mention emission standards are much more strict today than they were 30 years ago.

How many 2.0L NA engines make 200hp these days?

the hyperblue one looks gorgeous, but i don't think there's anyway i'm paying close to $30k for it.

WRB>hyperblue

i like these cars but after seeing that cunt tj hunt on youtube i got a wrx instead

My brz clutch was a nigger. I took the assist spring out and I still couldn't get a smooth shift every time, maybe 75% of the time I could.

Prior cars for last 10 years have all been stick from a corolla to a 350z wrx abarth and my current sti. The brz had the worst engagements.

ND is not pure. it sells a lot bcoz its a convertible. chassis rigidity of miata is much lower than gt86

I feel you. The stock 86 sucks dick, and I love my 86. After a pedal adjustment it's much better though.

>200hp engines
>134whp

ND weighs like 500lbs lighter than the brz... and it seems at this point, it's suicide for any auto journalist to say anything bad about it.

>that cunt tj hunt
His faggot buttbuddy with the blue Mazda is even worse though. What the FUCK is up with todays youth documenting every waking second of their life/lifestyle for everyone to see? LIkewise, why does anyone even want to watch these guys spilling their thoughts into a camera?

Now B is for Build has a nice series about drinking beer while working on a beat up BRZ in the backyard, getting it back on the road. Faith in youtube instantly restored.

As for the car, I have around €16k in the bank for me to access, paychecks adding up to roughly another €4k by the end of summer and a car that should still be worth 5 to 7k. The bulk of Toyobarus around here are still at around €20k, with the occasional deal for 19 or even 18. I hope the price will drop once the new model is out, so I can afford one and still have money left for coilovers, brakes, real tires, stronger sway bars, modifications to make the exhaust sound like more than a lawn mower maybe some TRD parts like the steering wheel or front bumper, insurance and gas. Forced induction will come next year.

Please tell me my dream will come true.

>why does anyone even want to watch these guys spilling their thoughts into a camera?
Pretty much applies to your post, a whole bunch of bullshit opinions nobody wants to deal with reading.

The difference is I won't get a couple hundred thousand views and upvotes and comments for my post.

More like 170whp bra. Nice goalpost moving though. You just proved you are dumb as fuck.

ND weighs 400lbs less. And it doesn't have a fixed top. And it can only seat 2 people. And it's transmissions explode randomly.

>more like 170whp

youtube.com/watch?v=ZFezEFRCMoU
>160 for 1k rpg
>140whp mid range

subarubrzforum.com/36-subaru-brz-dyno-numbers-track-times/2894-dyno-numbers-thread.html

>Matt: Stock, 139whp, 123 wtq,
>Rallysport Direct: Stock, 147whp, 114wtq
>itwillboost Stock, 142whp, 127wtq,

What's it like having something with less hp than a 92 civic.

>implying Subaru will allow something to compete with the WRX and STi
>the 86 will never be factory turboed

I wish they had all come stock with a turbo huge oversight by Toyota. They could have sold tons more if they had bumped the HP up to +300 with this simple addition.

I like the styling. Sporty but not too much in your face.

>so I can afford one and still have money left for coilovers, brakes, real tires, stronger sway bars, modifications to make the exhaust sound like more than a lawn mower maybe some TRD parts like the steering wheel or front bumper, insurance and gas. Forced induction will come next year.

Honestly, instead of buying that shitbox and spending 10k getting it to where you want it to be, why not just get a better car to begin with?

Like a 335i?

literally anything with a turbo and rwd is a better buy for someone that wants to play with their car

I'll make the case that both the BRZ/FRS and the Miata are right about their power levels because you can play around with them without getting in trouble or killing yourself. More power would only appease bench racers and the odd guy who does track it while making it more expensive and out of reach of the audience they were aiming for. If you want more power from the factory, get a WRX.

Will there ever be a more based Toyota livery than the Castrol?

HKS BRZ was breddy gud, but Castrol is always better imo.

I'm really terrible at finding sporty cars under 1.5 tons with RWD and a turbo in the same price range. I want a modern and somewhat new car, not a 20 year old car that has already run 150,000 miles.

Some folks really like working on their own cars and upgrading them as they see fit. These cars tend to have cheaper parts too so modding is more cost effective and if you break something it's not too big a deal and you can replace it.

Also, you can buy the car now and buy upgrades as you get more money, as opposed to saving up all the way before getting the car at all.

Fuck traffic cones.

here you go

FORTY THOUSAND EUROS
O
R
T
Y

T
H
O
U
S
A
N
D

I... what? You took out your mirror with a traffic cone?

>not living in burgerland

KEK

>shilling the fiata this hard
>buying anything made by fiat

pic related

>confirmed for being a tuner sperg
Then you end up having a shitty car with a bunch of money dumped into.

It is always going to be a shitty car with band-aid fixes.

Buy a nicer car and you will be able to get your money back out of the project, and it will be a nicer car overall to own.

Don't hit the cones then

That's why I'm not getting some old project car, but a newer, already nice car that only needs a couple of performance upgrades. No bodykits, no engine swaps, no rice.

>I want a modern and somewhat new car, not a 20 year old car that has already run 150,000 miles.
You do understand nothing has changed on cars since the 90s except for adding infotainment and 500lbs of safety features?

Just stop being a complete dumbfuck wanting something new and get something good instead. If you want to mod your car, get an old one and restore it. Every part you put on the car is guaranteed to fit and make it better than it was.

>mazda electronics
>mazda transmission (NC tranny, much stronger than the shit one in the ND)
>built in japan by mazda
>uses abarth multiair motor, not your standard fiat engine

it's daijoubu senpai and the only one true eurobeat car

86/BRZ isn't nice. It is entry level, it is a crappy and cheap as they can get away with. You think it is nice because it is your first 'new' car.

I thought it was pretty nice and basic

>86/BRZ isn't nice
How so? Because it doesn't have Civic Type R levels of boost and power?
>It is entry level
Which is what I'm looking for
>it is a crappy
Care to tell us why?
>and cheap as they can get away with
Perfect, my budget is tight
>it is your first 'new' car.
It's not.

Exactly.

Anyone who wants more power in an 86 can add more power, pretty cheaply.

As a track car, it's great for beginners in the same way a miata is, and it's possible to modify it to grow with your capabilities.

Bro lol, he's the same guy that things fucking his mom is normal. Don't get to into people's "opinions" based off nothing.

Define "nicer car" I can't afford to go out and purchased a BMW M4 and mod it. But maybe a FRS with 10k in upgrades can give me close to the performance I want but at 1/4 the cost. Sure it's not got all sorts of driver assistance packages and an all leather interior but it's what I can afford at the time.

>all sorts of driver assistance packages and an all leather interior
Who'd want that anyway? It's nice to have, but not something I'm looking for in a car.

A stock ap1 s2000 performs better than an FR-S, you can grab one of those for $15k here.

And for $15k you can have 250whp, 2300lb car (turbo miata).

All this talk about "entry level sports car" doesn't make sense. A true entry level sports car is a used sports car.

Look you either like to mod or you don't. I can't explain it to you. What you're telling me to do is to go out and get a 7 or more year old car with over 100k miles on the engine. When I can get a new car with close to zero miles on the engine and start with a blank slate and make it into what I want.

S2000s are very rare here and almost impossible to find in stock condition. If you can't spend well over 20k, you'll have to settle for fully riced out by 3 previous owners.

what's kinda hilarious here is that the 7 year old car with over 100k miles on it still feels more solid and well built than a new frs

and before you say anything, yes I've driven them both

>muh used cars compared to new cars argument
not everyone's that autistic

That wasn't even me.

If you would read the post I wrote earlier you would notice two things.

1st that I'm NOT surprised that it does more power and torque, because Toyota and Subaru decided that they want a tiny as fuck engine bay with a weak flatfuck shit and they decided to not turbocharge it.

2nd you absolutely missed the part about 320is, which does basically the same power and has more torque. 30 years of development and all they managed is to catch up and make it more eco-friendly.

Way to go lad, enjoy your buyer's remorse, I'll wait for a 6cyl version refresh or just buy an M2 once the prices start to drop.

>start with a blank slate and make it into what I want
You can't though. The 86 has the potential to be a somewhat quick RWD, but there are far superior starting points out there, like the AP1.

If all you want is the performance a superior starting point offers, start out with that. If you don't see the logic in that I can't understand what is wrong with you? Is it some autistic urge that you have to drive a car that has been 'customized' with bolt on parts?

lewd

This.

It is frankly unforgivable on Toyota's part, and it speaks volumes about the experience and capability of 86 fanboys. The people defending the 86 literally have no idea what they don't know. They had a 97 corolla before hand and they can't comprehend how somebody could apply the labels 'slow' or 'crappy' to the rocketship they just upgraded to.

It is a lack of humility really.

>rocketship
Worst strawman 2016.

I was quite pleased with the FR-S gearbox, I would say up there with the Mustang and S2 gearboxes.

>1st that I'm NOT surprised that it does more power and torque, because Toyota and Subaru decided that they want a tiny as fuck engine bay with a weak flatfuck shit and they decided to not turbocharge it.

I'm glad you're not surprised that a turbocharged engine makes more power/torque than an NA engine. If you were, I would say you are dumb as Fuck. Even though you initially posted a picture of a ford cosworth as your main argument.

>2nd you absolutely missed the part about 320is, which does basically the same power and has more torque. 30 years of development and all they managed is to catch up and make it more eco-friendly.

About the 320is...way to cherry pick a bmw that was only made in Italy and Portugal. Not to mention the 320is weighs roughly 2600lbs, compared to the BRZ at 2775lbs.

You keep focusing on power, but the truth is, the 86 is the lightest rwd car that you can buy new that has more than 2 seats. Obviously sacrifices have to be made the when you're selling a brand new car for 25k in 2016.

>Way to go lad, enjoy your buyer's remorse, I'll wait for a 6cyl version refresh or just buy an M2 once the prices start to drop

Keep holding your breath on a 6 cylinder 86, it's never going to happen.

Keep moving goalposts, I don't care, it's obvious that you're a goalpost moving tool.

Europe btfo

Actually, the argument btfo.

If this car was ~200-250kW stock id jump on it in a heart beat.

Then it'd be more expensive and heavier and would have to take on cars like a BMW 130i. This car only works because they've kept it basically a barebone with just enough power to be okay but be cheap enough to stay away from the competitors with great power.

If you want a more expensive car with a larger engine or full-blown turbo engine, by all means do. The GT86 never intended to be that car and it never will be out of the factory.

Only for euros, for burgers not at all.

how do you explain fiat selling a 2300lb rwd turbo car for $25k?

also, i'd gladly pay $35k for a turbo 86

I can't explain your market. In Germany the 124 Abarth will be €40k upward, a turbo Toyota would be around that price as well, given that they're already over 30 with the base trim as it is.

What'd be the better choice at the other end of the world doesn't really help me decide what to buy here.

It can be made so.

The thing comes reasonably cheap for what it is and there's plenty of aftermarket support for it.

The fiat only has 160hp user...

>32k USD
>cheap for what it is
Yea no. It has as much WHP as an 03 SVT Focus.

You can easily buy a new 86 for 24k usd. If you spend 32k, you are a huge retard.

Also, I challenge you to find me a dyno of a stock focus svt making 170whp

like stock power figures matters on a turbo engine