How difficult is mountain driving?

How difficult is mountain driving?

I know to shift into a lower gear and just pulse your brakes when you reach the posted "safe driving" speed. Anything else? How difficult is it to handle bends in the road? Is it really harrowing when other cars pass you on such narrow roads?

I have frequents nightmares about driving off a mountain road and falling to my death.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=twOzFmOgeFk
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

>I know to shift into a lower gear and just pulse your brakes when you reach the posted "
Wat?

>pulse your brakes

WAT?
Enjoy not stopping.

Just drive normal.

I'm trying to learn how to into toegay as well.

I'd recommend sticking to some windy, but maybe flat roads without drops on either side to begin with, so the only real danger is you having to tow your car out of a ditch.

Take it at a speed your comfortable with to begin, and keep going from there. I dunno any special techniques, so I just take it like a normal road.
Careful not to push your limits too hard though.

You've got the right idea with downshifting. You should hardly need to use your breaks, if you find you keep accelerating past a safe speed, shift down again.

It's like cooking user, you've either got it or not. You progressively test your limits and your cars limits, until you have proper 'spatial awareness' (for lack of an edgier word) of the cars proportions and handling.

You then learn how to apply that into the lmaotouge without crashing. Some people just have no 'feel' for cars, though.

>How difficult is mountain driving?
Press the accelerator when you need more speedy and use the brake when you need to stop

It's no harder than driving on any other inclined road, the consequences of fucking up are just worse.

Know your limits, take it easy on unknown roads and be careful around blind corners.

Doesn't this burn out your brakes, though?

>lmaotouge
>toegay
What are these?

It's all unknown roads to me, so I'll be taking it really slow. I also have to drive through some big cities for the first time, and that will be another can of worms.

Oh, right. You're just driving normally. It's no different.

Just follow the speed signs (and use common sense) and you will literally never run into trouble.

If you want to learn about proper manual driving technique though, I would recommend you find a good instructor. Online stuff can only help so much, compared to hands on tuition.

Quit being a faggot, this thread is pointless. Drive like youre drivig a car..your brakes are fine.

>It's all unknown roads to me, so I'll be taking it really slow.
GREAT way to get rear-ended by someone who knows the road and doesn't expect a 10MPH fucktard.
Just go drive off the edge yourself if you plan on driving slowly. Save someone the effort of shunting you over.

>ITT: tooj busriders
>just drive normal OP
>we are so experienced in delivering tofu
>this is how we drive
>trust us OP, ur a fgt
lel of the week

>handling bends in the road
this is why you pulse the brakes, especially on the downhill
>harrowing when you pass other cars?
I know the dimensions of my car really well, and this helps me blow by people but
>always slow down if it feels bad

>yeah i love to just hold my brakes on the downhill
>I love that smell of smoking brakepads
>and you just can't beat warped rotors

>find an instructor
I recommend Bunta, he worked good for this busrider

>How difficult is mountain driving?

Do not have a "Trump For President" or "Hillary For President" bumper sticker. Someone will push your car off the road and you'll tumble down the cliff in your picture.

>windy road
>fast driving
>You should hardly need to use your breaks

literally wat. Driving fast, you should brake before every corner. Slow in, fast out

If there are any leaves on the road after a windy day, beware as they are slippery.

This.

The concept is called trail braking. Google it, learn it and practice it somewhere not on the touge. Then apply it.

This. It's pretty basic.
Only brake on straights (unless you really fucked up judging the corner speed), power out of the corner when you see it open up.
Once you do your run several times you should learn when to brake and how much speed you can carry through the corner. Since you should be driving in your lane until you get really confident on the pass, you won't be hitting apexes should should be taking right turns far slower than left turns.

so much shit that I read in here

Yeah I'd suggest you don't go hard on mountain roads until you have some experience in the car. Don't do stupid shit (in general) on the streets or on a track unless you have a few years driving experience and a good knowledge about the car you're in and how it behaves.

For your first times on a mountain road and to get familiar with them:
- don't go full togue
- exceed the speed limit only a little and only if you feel comfortable and can see where the next corner goes. Over time, if you drive the course more often, you'll now the bends and corners and you'll know your brakepoints and cornering speed ...
- don't stand on the brakes unneccesary long
- rather than that, slow to a comfortable speed where you don't have to brake too hard
- it's better to have a relatively short hard brake than a long not-so-hard brake
- keep it in mind but don't try to find your perfect hard-braking-points right from the start or you'll crash
- standing on your brakes, generating temperature in your brake system and brake fluid, there's a chance it get's boiling. the system will have a gas bubble in the fluid and you can push the pedal as hard as you want and nothing will happen - fading - worst feeling I ever had while driving

>target the limits of yourself and your car from below
if you exceed those limits without previously learning where the limits are and how you begin to notice them before it's too late there's often no second try

>pic related: we came around a bend and suddenly there's the white van and next to no place to get by. And there were places even narrower than that.

be careful overtaking if you encounter super slow cars, they're usually very afraid, only watching what happens in front of them, afraid of falling off the mountain and they'll most often not leave you any space.
This time they saw the red S2000 and moved over, probably thought they'd been to close to the edge and immediately drove towards the middle of the road, not noticing me in my black car trying to pass aswell.

What a faggot.

If you have to use your brakes anytime at all, then you are not driving fast enough for drag forces to cancel out your acceleration due to gravity.

In short, go faster.
Cunt.

expect oncoming traffic to "take a big swing" before a tight corner, they might not see you, especially when you're coming from above

in pic related, the driver can't really see up the hill through the passenger window, most people don't even look up through the passenger window.
An open topped car like the S2000 has an advantage coming up into a right hand uphill corner as he can see more.

I still watch the road through my side windows in such tight corners, of course it takes practice to corner looking far ahead through the side windows while working brakes, gas and steering. Some people get car sick doing this, even as a driver.

A downhill left is relatively easy, an uphill left is a bit more difficult, just from the seeing-oncoming-traffic standpoint. Downhill right and uphill right you sometimes don't see anything and you'll notice it'll make you more cautios and slower.

drive like a fucking bat out of hell to make it known to the transplants that you're a native

Here's the video I took the screenshots from:
youtube.com/watch?v=twOzFmOgeFk

We're not pushing it too hard here, just having some fun on Giogo di Santa Maria (Pass da l'Umbrail), a beautiful pass between Italy and Swiss, coming from Passo dello Stelvio.

Just drive normally and to the speed limit the first few times. Don't be like me and go full retard on every corner on an unknown road until your brakes fail and you end up being in a real life pinball machine.

ah, fading - the feeling of being a passenger despite sitting in the drivers seat

thing is:
fading occurs almost always when you're still too fast for that corner that's coming up. or worse: something unexpected on the street

slow before the curve, apex it with no acceleration either forward or back, and go fast out as you regain grip

keep car in powerband and enter gear as you make the turn or you'll get cucked on uphill turns. keep car in gear on downhill sweepers and use your engine braking to transfer weight where you want it

remember that in a n/a car your powerband changes as you go up in elevation

>not carrying 8 brakepads with your spare tire
>not changing the brakepads three times a week.

What are you driving op? All good advice here. My old car it felt like I could out drive its limits, new car haven't touched the limits yet.