Can Electric Trucks ever be useful?

Can Electric Trucks ever be useful?

majority of people who daily drive trucks dont haul anything so yes.

What kind of truck

I don't understand the question because there's like 3 or 4 different kinds of trucks.

In a century or two perhaps

>18 wheelers
>heavy duty trucks

Trains are diesel electric hybrids, with the diesel engines only providing power to the electric motors. Not sure why big rigs haven't followed.

>instant max torque

Fuck yeah they would be. The problem is the power source. You don't have a battery pack capable of doing more than like 15-20 minutes of hard work at the moment.

OP Here, meant 100% electric because >muh clean energy

hybrid sure. there are hybrid trucks out now and they work well

A century or two? You understand that this technology is growing exponentially and we already have fully working electric vehicles, right? I would say within 10 years we will see the first electric tractor trailers and within 20 we will have automated tractor trailers driving around. There are place in the world that already have autonomous ports where they put on and take off containers on chassis and take containers off ships.

Fully electric has been evolving with fossil fuel engines until the 30s or so, no? Their problem has always been the battery,

Use a bio-diesel rotary as an on board generator

It would take a power source comparable to nuclear fission in order to haul 80,000+ lbs thousands of miles.

or a battery 60 times bigger than a teslas

Imagine all the shit we could do with portable nuclear power sources or just better batteries. I bet there are big corporations with designs already prepared and are just holding them off until we're actually starting to go dry, because petrol is the biggest lobby on this planet right now.

sure
once the energy density of batteries hit a certain point and the cost per kWh dips low enough, you can get all that monster torque and all the range you need

just wish diesel electric serial hybrids were a thing
>mfw telling people i basically drive a diesel freight train

>big corporations with designs already prepared and are just holding them off
that would be incredibly foolish, whoever beats LiPo will make STUPID amounts of money since their product will be in basically everything within a few years.

>once the energy density of batteries hit a certain point and the cost per kWh dips low enough
ok, call me in 500 years.

Wouldn't trolley poles be more effective?

They can make a lot of torque, but with the energy expended to charge the vehicle, or the rate metals and fabrication of a decent battery, is the switch to electric really worth it?

Once batteries have the power capacity and recharge time equal to filling a tank then yes.

A lot of heavy machinery and ships are already diesel-electric. You'd essentially rip out the diesel engine, generator and fuel tank and replace it with a battery pack. It would be a easy switch.

Once this happens the ICE will become extinct of course. The question is weather "they" will let that happen or not.

Not only that but the truck would have to charge directly at a electrical substation to receive a charge in a timely manner.

Charge voltage would have to be roughly 15,000 volts on a 30 amp circuit in order to charge the truck within 10 hours.

>Once this happens the ICE will become extinct of course. The question is weather "they" will let that happen or not.

> Le who killed the electric car meme