Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=Yr3_0_sm71k
youtube.com/watch?v=UTN7cjyfZAk
youtube.com/watch?v=F3Gdm_e_hxs
youtube.com/watch?v=i7dqSky2Eh0&
youtube.com/watch?v=561v2eLMKLs
jalopnik.com/5981705/this-corvette-with-a-honda-four-banger-is-sadly-not-real
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Old 5cyl Audis can be made stupidly fast.

>145 hp (108 kW) at 4300 rpm and 190 lbf·ft (258 N·m) at 3500 RPM

What are you talking about?
Taurus SHO's made 220 HP with a glorious Yamaha-built 3.0L V6 and were faster than Fox body Mustangs.

The galant vr4 has always been one of my favorites

The LQ1 V6 made a glorious noise when you stepped on it. Decently fast too, especially for the time.

Lol you should make sure you look at the right engine before attempting a shit post.
I owned a based sho. Can confirm it's faster than a 5.0. Hell it's faster than most cars it's age.

Does the G-body Turbo Regal count?

i think it was the fastest car GM made in its time in terms of acceleration and overall straight-line speed out of the factory. Certainly faster than the vettes of the time and i don't think anyone would've imagined anything with a Buick badge being fast in anyway.

That video made me a fan of the 3800.

Living that wagon life

the sleepiest of sleepers

im making fun of a "sleeper" not the taurus

The great thing about these was the only tip-off you got that it was special were the red Chevy Bowties and the double dual exhausts.

And unless you knew about Chevy's Z-cars, you wouldn't think anything of it.

were you dropped on your head as a child?

No. his mother threw him at the wall when she tripped over the threshold on the way home from delivering him.

They only count if it's a normal Regal T-type.
The Grand National was an appearance package that gave everything away.

My post has nothing to do with the taurus, whats hard to understand

>whats hard to understand
You gave no context

So is it possible to do what he did with just about any vehicle?

not sure if it's considered a sleeper since its called a super sport but my 96 impala looks like a grandpa car to those who don't know

yes, but not without throwing money at it. A lot of factory sleepers can be modified cheaply from the factory, especially if they're boosted from the factory

Were these really tuned by McLeren or something?
youtube.com/watch?v=Yr3_0_sm71k

Here's an 05 Crown Vic with the engine and transmission of an 03 SVT Cobra. Pretty sweet. youtube.com/watch?v=UTN7cjyfZAk

They were tuned by a coachbuilding company known as ASC McLaren. No relation to McLaren over in England.

ASC made their name building convertibles for GM, Toyota, Ford, and others. You got a fox-body or Chevy Cavalier convertible? Guess who built it.

Pic related was another limited edition performance car they did for GM, the 1989-1990 Pontiac Grand Prix Turbo
>FWD
>205 HP
>turbocharged 3.1L pushrod V6

Doesn't take much to modify these for big power.

this
impala guy again
used to have a stock 2001 maxima that was only little slower than the ss

Minivans.

ITT: everyone posts their shitbox pretending its fast

We don't pretend shit user.

posting sleepers doesn't imply its that fast imo
just faster than it looks

God bless those turbocharged Chrysler minivans.
youtube.com/watch?v=F3Gdm_e_hxs

youtube.com/watch?v=i7dqSky2Eh0&

that fucking sound

neither of those are sleepers. leave this thread.

no

These cars (including the Taurus SHO) NEED to be in Forza. i'm surprised they aren't already in there given the number of crazy shit they put in over the years and recently.

I knew i had to have it when they put cars like 96 Impala SS and Pontiac Aztek. i like taking Sleepers or shit-boxes in general in Forza and making them even faster. (they also had a Dodge Omni GLH)

If they ever add a Crown Victoria i would not be able to shove my money up Dan Greenwalt's ass hard enough.

youtube.com/watch?v=561v2eLMKLs

You just can't get this kind of hektik in Gran Turismo.

the lambo is

>lamborghini
>a sleeper
>ever
nope.

There is nor such thing as a lamborghini or Corvette sleeper. Get over it. This is not a thread for sports cars or supercars.
This is a thread for everyday family cars that are a LOT faster than they look.
You completely missed the point of this thread and focused on fast. You forgot the unassuming part.

Not to derail the thread but i underestimated how fast the C6Z is. He pulled pretty hard despite having just over 500HP and a stick-shift vs the Murcielago's (i assume that's the "Lamborghini" in the video) 650+ semi-auto. its like the guy in the Murcielago wasn't trying.

Still, neither of them is a sleeper and therefor, neither belongs in this thread. And the Lamborghini driver was driving like a dick. I hope he wrapped that thing around a pole.

Nissan's VQ30 and VQ35 are fucking god-tier V6's

My sleeper, 2012 Caprice, looks like an Impala, most people don't know they make a new Caprice in the US, has 6.0L V8, 6spd auto, RWD and runs on E85.

I want one of those so fucking bad.

didnt realize they made them again
front end is a little plain but thats pretty badass

I tried selling mine but nobody was willing to give me what I was asking for it. So imma keep it and boost it.
Car looks plain all around, back looks like Impala

They're only available for police fleets. You can't walk into a normal Chevy dealer and order one. It's basically a blander looking Pontiac G8.

Pic is one with the aftermarket thrown at it.

My 89 SHO would pull on 3v Mustangs on an even roll. Shit was cash.

Blander G8 at half the cost, more durable parts, and longer wheelbase. Plus.... Flexfuel.

There is heaps of aftermarket support including supercharger kits and shit like that for those cars in Australia.

But user the Taurus SHO is in GT, and there are plenty of shitboxes in GT because they like to put 100+ different types of Miatas and Skylines in their games as filler.

Problem is shipping $$$$

The definitive sleeper

Or actually anything the 3800 S2/3 is in. There is a reason it has such a big following.

It's a trash engine design but it's fast, cheap and reliable.
Sorry about that exhaust note though

too bad it's backed by such a horrible transmission

Yeah I'm going through the lim failure right now but can confirm the supercharged version in my car is wew. Almost tempted to say fuck it and go big rebuilding the engine and going TT but the transmission is so junk.

Nice nigger mobile

nor mine. Just a photo I had.

The 3800 Buick engine was good in its day, but can't really compare to anything out now. It's reliable and is backed by an awful trans, car designs on the platforms were pretty crappy too. Too bad GM can't design a car like they can an engine.

no

Hey, another XT owner!

I'm loving my Outback XT 5MT

As funny as it is, the 3800 was often offered as an upgrade over 60* V6's.

I find this funny since the 60* engines are, on paper at least, a better performance build option. It's also funny because the 60* V6's were MUCH more expensive for GM to even build than the 3800's.
>Internally balance because 60* V
>aluminum heads
>heads outflow even those of supercharged 3800s
>splayed valves
>lighter
>similar displacement
>makes a glorious noise unlike the 3800.
>still has a weird firing order (1-2-3-4-5-6 as opposed to the 3800's firing order of 1-6-5-4-3-2)
>Makes the same power as the supercharged 3800 when made almost the same displacement (3900) while staying N/A.

The 3800 has aftermarket support that can't be beat though. I really wish more people would look at those 60*'s though.

I do the opposite thing.

I get the body of a $300,000 sports car and put a 4 cylinder engine in it.

>upside pic related: my car

Besides hood pins and the oil rad peeking a bit through the front bumper it's like any other Mazda 626 GD built here in Niggerland. Buut...under the hood it's got the 2000cc DOHC that Nip Capellas got...turbocharged for good measure. I fucking adore my car.

Redline is set a glorious 7500rpm with stock cams and a mildly ported head, we haven't toyed getting it to 8k. 230fwhp on the dyno at 8psi and fueled with 86ron sewage. And that was with the old EMS that didnt manage ignition.

Its not much, but it's better than what most bus riders/bencharacers on Veeky Forums have got, and considering the context (i.e: living in a fucking underdeveloped nation) Ive no shame in calling it muh pride and joy.

>on paper at least
on paper and in practice are two totally different things. most of GMs 60* V6s were garbage and put out pathetic figures (looking at you, third gen F-body twins). I will agree on them sounding nice, though.

pic related. probably didn't even make 100hp at the crank. still sounded OK, though

The 60* V6's didn't become noteworthy until the second generations engines. The third gen and early fourth gen V6's were all part of the first gen family. The first noteworthy 60* V6's were the LG5 ( ), and the LQ1 (mentioned in and ).
The LG5 was a turbo version, and the LQ1 was a special snowflake high revving DOHC 4 valve variant. But they show there's potential there that no one is touching.
The best thing about the 60* V6's is the backwards compatibility. You can take a 3500 from a 2005 Chevy Malibu, and put it in an 88 Fiero running OBD1 with little actual modification.
And due to that, you can make significant power upgrades to the 2.8, 3.1 and 3.4 or third and fourth gen F-bodies by using parts from second and third gen 60* V6's.
Pic related. 1993-1995 Camaro 3.4 with 3100 heads and intake manifolds from a FWD N-body Chevy Malibu. Power jumped to around 200 from the factory 160. And the 3100 heads don't flow as well as 3400 heads. All using junkyard parts.

Sleeper is such an American thing.
>take car that handles like shit
>throw power at it
>smokes in straight lines
>does literally nothing else

The Japanese do it too.

What is the best sleeper platform under 3k?

You call that an XT?
This, is an XT

3800 if you are going for cheap.

bunch of options for upgrade and all are cheap

not to mention the engine was in everything so a car with the supercharged motor should be very easy to come by for hardly any money

Any supercharged 3800 car (Pontiac Bonneville SSEi, Pontiac Grand Prix GTP, 04-05 Chevrolet Impala SS, Buick Riviera, Buick Park Avenue, Buick LeSabre, 04-05 Chevrolet Monte Carlo SS)
or a 95-03 Nissan Maxima.

The 3800 cars are easier to modify, but the Maxima has a better engine.

>Toyota Aristo V300 2jz-GTE 320hp to the crank, the USDM GS400 with the 1UZ puts out 300hp

>Toyota CHaser Tourer V, looks like a boring Acura TL but its 1JZ puts out 276 hp.

>Toyota Crown Athlete V, with the 1JZGTE, also puts out 276hp.

I just pulled that picture from Wikipedia. This is my XT.

>Evo 0.
Top choice

Kind of want a rvr sport gear with the 4g63t goodness

You can recreate it with USDM parts.
>Buy an AWD Eagle Summit wagon or Mitsubishi Expo LRV.
>Swap the engine and transmission from a first gen DSM
>????????
>Profit!

There's someone I work with that buys Fieros and restores them.
He believes they will be worth something in the future.

I've always wanted to do a MR 90s ford turbo build in one of their wagons

>tfw no garage or space to do it
>tfw no skills to do it
>tfw no money to do it

I agree with him.
>unique
>recognizable
>sold for a short time
>desirable
>great fanbase/community
>sold extremely well so many gen X and genZ people remember them fondly.

It's going to eventually reach the same status as 64-69 Mustangs and 67-69 Camaros.

dopest

I'm like 79% sure that the engine is the same as a 350Z.. probably different head work and intake but yano

They're both VQ35DE engines, but the actual blocks ARE different. The mounting provisions on the RWD block are completely different and in different locations than the mounting provisions on a FWD block.

wat.

source?

some guys in a performance shop had a Z06 come in for a build on the LS7 V8. Whil the engine was out, they had a B18 from an Integra sitting around, plopped it in place and took the picture. It was all for shits and giggles. It was never ACTUALLY installed.
jalopnik.com/5981705/this-corvette-with-a-honda-four-banger-is-sadly-not-real