People-who-don't-know-shit-about-cars stories?

People-who-don't-know-shit-about-cars stories?

>be older, white person who's had plenty of expirience buying used vehicles
>chinese college student gf wants to buy her first car
>mother tells her her friend is selling hers
>mother and sister keep telling her it's a good deal
>tell gf she needs to test drive the car before giving them any money, and that I should at least have a look at it
>her family tells her not to listen to me, my word isn't "god's"
>mom promises to pay half
>gf gives mom's friend the full price of the car in cash
>she finally drives it for the first time a week later
>tons of issues, she feels extremely uncomfortable because the interior is gross (she's a clean freak)
>can't see out back window because tint is peeling
>car feels funny to her and it's hard to press the pedals
>mother renegs on the deal to pay for half
>seller has already flown to China
>has to pay hundreds of dollars to clean the interior, remove the tint, and fix a bunch of other random shit
>could have negotiated a lower price easily
>mom comments that the car might explode because she saw the car leaking out the exhaust after gf washed car down with a hose
>mfw she I have to listen to this story spiral out of control for an entire month while her family convinces her to ignore me the entire time

Other urls found in this thread:

autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201605244244461
motorcarinsuranceuk.co.uk/post-code-ratings.php
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Well... That's what you get for dealing with the chinese, they just are terrible people, complete and utter, terrible shitfaces.

Post pics of Chinese gf

>relative's '98 Scénic is having a lot of issues
>pretty much total loss
>time for a new car
>asks me for advice
>tell him to get a Toyota Verso because muh reliability and especially not to get a new Scénic because it scores terribly in reliability reports
>ignores my advice and buys an '07 Scénic instead because muh LPG
>clutch breaks down 2 days later

>Acquaintance of mine is a total frat bro.
>Make the mistake of talking to him about cars.
>"Hey dude I totally drifted my Wrangler in the parking lot yesterday, it was fucking lit dude."
>Tell him that's probably a bad idea.
>"Fine, go ahead and be a pussy."
>mfw seeing him slam his Jeep into a curb while pulling out of the university's parking lot the next day.

Update to this story. Just brought it into friend's shop and he said she got ripped off by a grand and he'll have to do a bit of work.

You either learn by experience, or learn by listening to experience. She chose the former. Can't do anything about it now.

well it's not your money so you're golden.
also use this opportunity to make her listen to your advice in the future.
also maybe get a more intelligent gf. buying a car unseen if it's not an amazing import and/or you have more than enough to blow on a full restoration is dumb.

Here's the story of my old college roommate buying his first car.
>He just wants something cheap and reliable
>Suggest the usual civic/accord/camry/corolla
>Apparently his uncle works at a used car dealership
>Goes there to look at an accord he saw online
>It had already sold
>Tell him to keep looking on craigslist
>He instead buys a 04 mercury cougar at the dealership
>For $6000
>Says his uncle got him a "deal"
>The cougar has had its engine replaced, there are burn holes in the seat and it is covered in scratches
>I go for a ride in it and can tell the transmission has no idea when to shift and if he gives it gas on the highway it wont rev higher it just very gradually increases speed
>Less then a month after he bought it the starter goes out

When he told me he paid 6 grand for that shitbox I wanted to slap him, but he was so happy he finally got his first car.

Never trust family.

Your gf is clinically retarded and hard headed
You should probably pump and dump

>working at hardware store for high school job
>middle aged lady that has worked there for years drives Chevy Cavalier
>car is like 7-8 years old, but only has ~60k miles on it since she really only drives to work and around town for errands
>transmission goes out one day, it'll cost more to replace than the car is worth
>her brother is a mechanic, tells her to only buy American cars and not to get any Jap cars (he is as stupid as she is to be honest, would not trust that fucker to work on any of my vehicles)
>she goes and buys another brand new... Chevy Cavalier
>I ask her why she bought what is essentially the same car and she just tells me that her old car was a great car and was always so reliable
>I just don't even say anything more about it

I mean, having a transmission go out at 60k miles isn't exactly "reliable" in my book.

I deal with this all the time from old/country/redneck motherfuckers around here

>I don't want none of that jap/KoREHun crap
>ain't nothing built like a MURican car
>my cars has never given many any problems...except being on the 4th enine and third transmission and none of the accessories work

In all honesty OP, you probably dodged a bullet. Getting involved in helping friends/family buy a car is just like helping a friend/family fix their computer. If you DO get them to listen to your advice/let you help them out, EVERY little thing that goes wrong from that point on will be blamed on you to some degree or another

This. Asian girls, but Chinese in particular. It's always the family that makes it go to shit.

Want to drive them nuts? Remind them Toyota is a more american built car than most of the big 3.

>drive RHD import in Canada
>pull up to store
>guy asks: "I see you got a RHD there, where did you get it?"
>me: "from Japan, they drive on the opposite side"
>"oh I thought they drove on the same side as England"
>me: "England drives on opposite side as us..."

>friend wants first car
>suggest civic/integra
>"nah man I want to be unique I don't want what everyone else has"
>on a 2000 dollar budget
>suggest maybe a miata
>"nah I wanna stay away from that Japanese crap"
>buys a 1982 camaro with an LC2
>makes sub 100 hp
>at least 7 exhaust leaks
>transmission shifting at 4k rpm
>drops a valve after 1000 miles

I love when people don't listen to me.

This made me rage.

Your gf is retarded.

>Not test-driving a car you want to buy

Probably about 30-40% of the people who buy cars at my dealership never test drive the car before they buy it. It happens why more often than most Veeky Forums inclined people would ever think

>ppl are retarded

In other news, the grass is green and the sky is often blue.

I've never even heard of someone buying a car without doing a test drive first, what is wrong with those people?

what the fuck

So what, they buy it because it looks nice?

You have a certain subset of people who buy cars entirely based on looks/color/superficial features such as liking what the rims look like. They never test drive/inspect/look over the car

You also have another subset of people who only care about getting approved to buy a car. They would buy a washing machine with wheels if a bank will loan them the money, so again, what car and how it drives don't even factor into their thought processes

see

I just can't wrap my head around those lines of thinking.

If I really like how the car looks on the outside but find it incredibly uncomfortable to sit in or drive then I won't buy it no matter how sexy I think it is.

Extreme excitement at getting a car. It's like having sex for the first time. Do you remember how much desperation and excitement there was, where you would do almost anything?

It's funny because you have certain cars that only EVER get sold to people who think that way.

The Nissan Juke is the first that comes to mind. Every single Juke I have ever sold has been to come eccentric/crazy woman who bought it based entirely off liking how it looked

Real quote from a lady in her 60's I sold a Juke to:
>"Oh Muh GAWD, it looks like they crossed a golf cart with a little frog! I love it!"

I remember when I bought my first car I couldn't stop looking at it, I was so excited.

3 months later I regretted everything. Fucking hate that piece of shit.

Got a couple im sure ive posted a long time ago
>about 3 years ago friend got rear-ended
>by rear-ended i mean he was being a dick and slammed on his brakes when he was proably going 20 under
>DUDE THE INSURANCE COMPANY SAID IM GOING TO GET 6000 DOLLARS FOR MY CAR
>his car was a 96 maxima with almost 300,000 miles and was just begging to be killed, everything on that car was fucked
>tell my friend he isnt going to get more then 2 grand for that car
>blue booked the car infront of him and it was in a range from 1500 to 2000
>tells me im wrong and the insurance guy knows what hes doing
>tell him obviously not if he thinks its worth 6 grand
>his exact words are "DUDE HE SAID MY SPOILER IS A PREMIUM LIMITED EDITION OPTION AND IS WORTH A GRAND AND IT HAS THE PREMIUM SOUND SYSTEM YOUR FUCKING STUPID ITS WORTH 6 GRAND
>"premium sound system" is some walmart head unit
>just say whatever dude watch
>goes onto saying how cool the new evo lancers are and hes going to get one with the money
>he finds used ones for like 8 grand on Craigslist and somehow thinks hes going to get it by convincing his mom to give him an extra 2 grand
>check finally comes
>dude how much did you get from your check?
>"...1600"
>HA
>laugh in his face
>he dosent admit hes an idoit
>hes still obsessed eith the lancer and trys to buy our coworkers base model riced out 90s 4 door lancer
>CAUSE ITS SO FUCKING FAST DUDE
>she dosent even consider his offer cause she wants her MPGS
>friend finally breaks down and buys some decent taurus
>he fucking kills is because he thinks its a race car and neglects the fucking thing
Got some more stories about him if anyones intrested

>open Veeky Forums
>go to Veeky Forums

Post 'em

lel

>me
>need car asap
>have $1400
>buy Honda Civic Gx for 2k because i need car
>tons of problems with fuel system
>need to replace tank soon
>~120 mile range
>Natural Gas about the same price as regular gas
>can't ever leave city
car finally broke down

unkle is selling me his 2008 Scion tc for 6k

toyota cuck maintained with ~77000 miles on it.

i hope this one does me better, familia. i still don't know shit about cars tho.

how do i learn about cars?

Tried to convince my little bro to get a used performance oriented vehicle for his 21st birthday. His budget was 20k.

I suggested c5 corvettes, new edge cobras, s2k, wrx, evo.. but no, he chose a brand new hyundai elentra sedan. Fuck.

At least he walked out the door with it for 13k.

my mother tells me to stop wasting so much money on my car, that being my trunk is full of cleaning products, oil, tools, etc.

i tell her i need that to maintain my car from cleanliness to preventative maintence. had my car for 4yrs now and not one problem

Scion TC is a corolla with a camry engine. Don't treat it like a race car and do basic maintenance and it will last a long time.

>the interior is gross
>Well... That's what you get for dealing with the mainland chinese, they just are terrible people, complete and utter, terrible shitfaces.

You have to be careful about what pictures you take in china since if the officials find out, you can get rousted and lose your media gear to "thugs unaffiliated to the gov't" that miraculously show up at the right time. Otherwise, you can find interesting pictures of chinese life and corruption in the non-western-tourist areas. Do not give off the feeling you are western press trying to expose a problem as that will get you in trouble.

post moar

>This made me rage.
>Your gf is retarded.
Why did your GF's mother renege on her promise to help pay for half the car if your GF bought the car from the mother's friend? Did your GF's own mother scam her in favor of that friend?

Picture: life on mainland china train (non tourist area)

>Probably about 30-40% of the people who buy cars at my dealership never test drive the car before they buy it
>I've never even heard of someone buying a car without doing a test drive first
I was like that too but it was a NEW car being shipped in with full warranty of course.

You must have a shitty family

Well, I can understand if it is a brand new vehicle and you've already test driven a different vehicle of the same model but just wanted one with a different trim package or something and had it special ordered.

>asians
lmfao you deserve it desu gooks and chinks are the worst people on the planet.

Did you try out your shitty computer before buying it?

Didn't think so bitch

you mean black people?

No bathroom on trains of course. What does that mean? Do people wait? Or do they do like in this picture aboard a mainland china train....

I wonder if LongpostGuy ever sold a minivan that had someone poop in it.

I made this stupid shit the other day.

Not exclusive to black people

Sold one? Who knows? Taken in one as a trade? Absolutely. Of the top 10 most disgusting vehicles I ever had to deal with a a trade, I think 7-8 of them were minivans

>shitting on a train
It's crazy, I had friends when I was an undergrad who either had lived in mainland China before coming to the states for college, or who had close family members who were still in country.

A girl in our friend group was wanting to do a summer semester in mainland China, and we all desperately tried to talk her out of it on the grounds it was going to be awful and disgusting and nothing at all like what she thought, but she went anyway, and came back with horror stories exactly like this

>10 most disgusting vehicles I ever had to deal with a a trade, I think 7-8 of them were minivans

any details longpost-sempai?

kek, when I used to bartend I had this old dumbass country type who would come in my bar bitching about Toyota being in NASCAR, I finally got sick of his bitching and did exactly this, he then stammers in his response
>b-but the money is goin back to Japan
>mfw this dumbass actually believed this

Several were straight up hoarder cars. Literally every section of the can that wasn't the driver seat was crammed with trash/paper/used diapers/random shit all the way up to the roof. Smelled disgusting on the inside (imagine a mix of sour milk, rancid gym bag, and rotten dumpster all rolled together)

One was a Grand Caravan (with a CLOTH interior) that a family of 4 had lived in for about 6 months after they lost their house. Interior smelled completely of human shit, urine, and vomit. Every square inch of the interior has some sort of stain on it, third row seat was covered in HUGE vomit stain from one of the kids.

Another was from a guy who has some sort of mental problem. Again, he'd been homeless for a while, and lived in the van with 2 large dogs who had absolutely destroyed the interior. Smelled of wet dog/dog piss/dog shit. Interior was literally destroyed from the dogs clawing/scratching/biting everything into a huge mess. Half the dash/radio controls were dead because the dogs had ripped wiring up from under the dash and chewed it all up

>A girl in our friend group was wanting to do a summer semester in mainland China, and we all desperately tried to talk her out of it on the grounds it was going to be awful and disgusting and nothing at all like what she thought, but she went anyway, and came back with horror stories exactly like this

Different cultures have different standards I guess. In parts of China where life is especially cheap, people stop caring about a lot of things like their living environment.

Ethics is another problem. Chinese sellers do a lot of bait and switch with products such as chemicals and materials sold to western buyers.

God her stories were awful but also somewhat hilarious.

She was a legit, varsity cross country runner, and part of the program was in Beijing, and she had to wear a painters mask the entire time because of the air quality

Also, she was a tall (6'2) blonde, very American looking girl, so she sort of became a social spectacle everywhere she went, which led to all sorts of hilarious social encounters.

But the second part of the program was out of the city into less 'Western friendly' areas of China.

>she had to wear a painters mask the entire time because of the air quality

For the Olympics in China, the government had ordered factory and powerplant shutdowns and various other factory shutdowns if they dumped waste into rivers. That was so China would look clean for the Olympic tourists as they also traveled to other parts of china. But normally, China's air pollution is so great that it travels all the way across the pacific ocean and gets onto the west coast. Most of the USA west coast smog is actually from China and not sourced by the USA.

Picture is of smog in the smoggy part of Beijing China. It's a vast area, so there are sort of less smoggy parts you see in photoshopped pictures. If you are western media and want to continue having a license, you can't really go on pollution expose articles about china before accidents start to happen to your staff.

Air pollution in Tianamen Square in 2007. While air pollution isn't the same as dirty cars sold to OP's girlfriend, the ATTITUDE of allowing air pollution or of chinese trains does relate to the attitude of how the GF's car was so dirty when she bought it.

A friend of mine went to China because he married a chinese girl from China who was desperately looking for a well-off western husband. She married my friend and is quite clean and acceptable and pretty too. It's the pretty ones that know they have a chance. But when my friend toured her home city, oh my, people spitting on the ground even in food service areas. Yeah, the food service people spit on that fake astroturf carpet too. Can a better germ and mold growing substrate be invented? Well, maybe LongpostGuy's minivan cars compete for that. He still lives about 160 miles away from me with his wife and kids. The marriage has been long and happy and she still is glad to be here in the west instead of "there". She does send money back home still so she is the dutiful daughter.

got to visit dad after buying saab
"how come you don't like american cars"
dad drives a nissan titan.
step mom drives a hyundai

Azn qt that probably isn't a whore isn't a bad deal for a girl. Assuming she's not a whore. It's pretty much a given with white women though, only a chance with asians.

A former boss of mine did the foreign bride thing, however he got his from eastern europe (Moldova if my memory serves correctly)

>It's pretty much a given with white women though, only a chance with asians.
Not true at all

I told my coworker I vacuumed out my truck (2015 Colorado work truck) and he says "it's truck why bother cleaning it" so I replied "so my truck doesn't smell like rancid milk like yours" his is a 2008 Silverado and as soon as he got it the smell changed from meh to terrible. I don't understand how. He vacuumed his after I mocked his lack of vehicular hygiene.

>not having a glorious taiwanese gf instead
could have ended this madness right there

>any chink slime
>any year

They're still chinks. Taiwan's official name is literally Republic of China.

>2004
>Mum buys a brand new Fiat Idea
>Drives it 400 yards to work and back every day
>Even at 12 years old I know this is bad for the engine
>"No user it'll be fine"
>2009
>Car won't start
>Mum gets it towed to mechanic
>Tells her the head gasket is completely gone, carbon buildup everywhere, and it's essentially bored itself out an extra 100cc due to zero lubrication from cold oil
>Sells it for £100, buys a brand new Fiat Panda
>Tell her repeatedly to let it get warm or just fucking walk to work
>Few weeks back mum mentions her Panda is having trouble starting
>Tell her to trade it now before it gets bad enough she can't
>"No user it'll be fine"

I'm just waiting for the phone call along the lines of "user my car won't start can you tow me out to the mechanics? Also can I borrow your car so I can get to work?"

>Uncle learns to drive at 50
>No seriously, he got his license at 50
>Buys 2004 Scenic for £900
>Over the past 5 years, has spent close to £6000 on repairs
>Repeatedly tell him to trade it for something less shit
>"But user, I love this car, it's so practical!"
>Buys tyres at £450 a set, for a £500 car

>It's pretty much a given with white women though
found the jew

>looking for first car
>~30k miles, 2009 car, 65 MPG, Peugeot
>£4K
>mother suggests a car
>Chevy, 75k miles, 43 mpg, 2005
>£4K
"What the fuck why, it's the same price and everything is worse"
It's blue, you will be seen easier and won't get hit by other motorists.

>Peugeot
You're mum just wants you to be a decent human being.

what's wrong with peugeot sedans

>be 16 and want a manual car
>mom says no because what if I need to drive it
>wtf mom this will be our third car why do you need to drive it
>BUT WHAT IF. ITS NOT HAPPENING
>buy car. Auto.
>she literally only Sat in the passenger seat once in the three years I had it and complained when she did
>23 now and drive a 6 speed.

Fuck you mom.

Pic unrelated.

They're terrible.
The drivers are worse.

Unreliable shitheaps, except maybe the 306/406

>Chinese family
>parents tell me to get a new Camry
>get a new Accord instead
>family gives me shit
I don't get it, it's my money and the Accord was a better package.

>somebody tried to race me
>they lost
>i understood my car better

please show me to my prize OP, I have given you what you want

What of the 407?
I would get a Volvo s40, but it's 2k more and looks like a nigger drug dealer car.

Go to bed Takumi

Missed out the Attendum; the seller modded the s40 with shitty rims.

Heavier, less reliable, looks like a retarded fish.

Really if you're in the market for a £4Kish saloon with great MPG, get yourself a Saab 9-5 3.0 TiD or 9-3 1.9TiD

>3.0
Mate my insurance.

Another one same dude
>friend got his grandfather's 80 something Delta 88
>we wanted to take it to the car show so we could get out of class for a bit
>things a fucking barge pretty much just a box with the most comfy interior
>engine was some 5.7 desiel
>couldnt get out of its own way
>throttle body injection
>sounded burty kewl do
>friend didiny have a license yet so i have to drive it
>begs me to let him drive it one day after school cause hes mom wont let him take it with out me driving and i dont trust him driving
>finally agree but tell him to take it slow cause you dont know how to drive and this thing is a bar-
>FLOORS IT
>he loses control of it and keeps over compensating even though we are going like 20 and this thing couldnt spin its tires submerged in water
>flies around the corner to his house almost hitting his neighbors car
>ive been yelling at him to fucking slow down he dosent car
>but as soon as we turn the corner his moms car is in the driveway
>he freaks out and tells me he wasnt supposed to take the car to school his mom told him not to and she wasnt supposed to be home for 2 more hours
I had to walk to his house to drive us to school his mom wasnt there when i got there and i thought she was okay with it did this for a week cause it beat wasting my 5 dollars a week on gas money that i could now spend on cigarettes
>he tries to like drift the car infront of his driveway and take off
>hits his fucking trash can and sends it into his moms car
>alarm goes off
>he finally slows down to a resonable speed and takes me home
>laugh cause i know hes in deep shit
>next day his mom drives him to school
Find out his mom grounded him for a month lel

>Has £4000 for a car
>Can't afford £1000 for insurance

You ARE employed right?

autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201605244244461

You could have a POS Peugeot, or you could have a Jaguar

>diesel
>TBI

What

>a grand for insurance first car
Three grand is more like it.

Yeah I've got a job.

100000x this. That's why my last relationship ended.

What car, user?

>Living in a shitty area

Go buy a fucking Corsa if you're so worried about insurance you huge faggot

First car insurance is always above 2k unless you drive some shitty hatchback.

My first year in a MG ZS saloon was £967.

Then again, I live in the country, keep my car in a garage and was a student at the time. You probably live in a shitty terraced house in Manchester, park on the street and work as a stock boy at Tesco

West Midlands. Semidetached. Driveway. Real estate.

Looks like I should find a place in the countryside then.

Have the post code ratings, and find out how shit your area is

motorcarinsuranceuk.co.uk/post-code-ratings.php

I'm in an A, but only just. Half a mile down the road is a B.

Jesus Christ I'm a fucking E.

Skimped because family just bought a villa, but even then it's only a D.
Just fuck my shit up.

Yeah, you'll be paying >£2000 till you're at least 25, with 5 years NCB and zero points

>Get a CD30 (dangerous driving) and 3 points
>Insurance went up £30 a year

God I love the country

Burger here, what the fuck are these post code ratings about?

>buying old jaguars
>ever

Man that's got me miffed. I'm in a good neighbourhood too. Tempted to register my insurance in the address one of my other houses if it's 2 grand difference.

How risky your location is;
Manchester is hot, as is parts of Birmingham. But look at the outskirts and countryside and the heat dies down.

Insurance companies track crime rates and claim rates in post code areas. If you live in a shitty area, you're more likely to claim, and therefore pay more for the same coverage.

For example, I live in a small Scottish town, with a garage, and it's a code A, the leat likely to claim. My friend here is in a code E, which means he's almost certainly going to claim, so his insurance is going to be 3-4x as expensive as mine, on the same car.

Go for it, before I moved back in with my parents, I already registered my car at their address. It was something like £600 a year difference between a small town and a big town

Gotcha

Damn, a 3x-4x difference in insurance prices is crazy.

In burgerland every insurance company has their own proprietary method for determining how risky a location is as far as theft and accident rates go, there's no standard rating system like that.. You just have to contact several different insurance companies, give them your address and driving info, and get a quote from them. There is often a difference of several hundred dollars per year for what amounts to the same coverage from different insurance companies, if you compare rates of 4-5 companies then none of them will quote you the same price as another one.

Our family mechanic is like that. He hates foreign cars, especially japanese. "we shoulda sank that fuckin island when we had the chance."
Problem is, he's a close family friend and has tons of experience working on American cars. Picture one of those muscle car boomers, except he builds and restores them for fun an actually knows his shit.

We also get the madly varying insurance prices, largely down to brand names.

I'm with Sainsbury's Bank, basically like being insured by Wal Mart. The exact same coverage from Direct Line (A major insurance name) if nearly 4x as much