Sup Veeky Forums

Sup Veeky Forums.
Do I have oil sludge? It's a VW Passat 1.8T.
I'm planning to change the oil within the next month. What do you suggest?

Other urls found in this thread:

archive.4plebs.org/o/thread/14985876
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

You've definitely got a sludge problem. It still doesn't fail to amaze me how people let their engines get that bad.
At best you need an engine flush with a special solution or the engine needs to be taken apart and cleaned manually.
Just don't forget to change your oil every 10 000 km or at least once a year.

>bait thread

>just don't forget to change your oil every 10 000 km or at least once a year.
ummm.....what the fuck?

>Within the next month

OP do that shit immediately.
Change the oil every 500-1,000 miles until the engine block is all cleaned up.

Use only fully synthetic oil in it and the biggest best oil filter that will fit it. I use Retella T6 exclusively in mind. You might want to put a very small amount of Sea Foam in too, to start dissolving some of the sludge bu if too much breaks up too fast you'll be fucked immediately. Be on the lookout for the big red STOP warning light. If you get it you better pay attention to it. It'll need a tow and about $600 worth of work but it's still probably better than needing a new engine.

I've had the car for about 9 months now. Bought it cheap. The oil was fresh when I bought it.

10000 km is 6200 miles if that's bothering you. Otherwise I don't see what he said wrong

AND WHY HAVENT YOU FUCKING CHANGED IT HOLY FUCK YOUR SHIT IS FUCKED
you should have known better buying a volkswagen you just destroyed your engine

i know what it is sperg, thats too long in a volkswagen.
>or once a year
absolutely disgusting

Only driven it about 5-6000 Km since last change.

If you say so. I always do an oil change for my Lexus in spring. The camshafts and valves still look shiny golden with no sludge whatsoever.

when buying a used car you should always change the oil in it even if it was fresh.

volkswagens burn oil. all of them do. you should have known this buying it.

i have always changed the oil in all of the cars i have bought even if it was just changed an hour before

you must not drive a whole lot

>>or once a year
>absolutely disgusting

Then what's a normal interval for people who do not drive a lot?

6200 miles is too long for a volkswagen that is what my reply is all about

you should change is every 3 months regardless even if you dont drive alot. doesnt matter if its clean or not. change that shit

Why? What a waste of money>when buying a used car you should always change the oil in it even if it was fresh.

>volkswagens burn oil. all of them do. you should have known this buying it.

Well, we've had 4 Volkswagens in our family for the past 15 years used for daily commute. The oil has been changed every 1-2 years or so. Never had a single engine-related problem.

>i have always changed the oil in all of the cars i have bought even if it was just changed an hour before

Seems like a waste of money to me.

Is that the same meme as /g/'s "reapply thermal paste every time you reboot your computer"?

>I'm planning to change the oil within the next month.
>the next month

You're running on borrowed time then.

>waste of money
let me explain to you why thats bullshit.
its not because people selling cars get the shitty conventional oil change thats 15$ at La mexicana los amigos tire primos tire shop. which equals stripped or over torqued drain plug

i usually put synthetic or synthetic blend in my cars. seeing as you have a volkswagen it needs 5w30 or 5w40 depending on the year. some require full synthetic.

>Well, we've had 4 Volkswagens in our family for the past 15 years used for daily commute. The oil has been changed every 1-2 years or so. Never had a single engine-related problem.

thats a load of shit. obviously you know nothing about cars and still live with your parents

you can think its a waste of money all you want you havent bought enough cars to realize this rule of thumb

A waste of money will be when your engine breaks on you because you're a cheap ass who shouldn't have night a fucking Volkswagen. Let me tell you, as a fellow cheap ass who doesn't particularly like maintenance costs and drives American V8s, my wife feel in love with a 1.8t Passat and it absolutely requires annoying levels of maintenance. You MUST use fully synthetic oil in it which it looks like you've been driving it without judging from the condition down in your pics. You MUST change that shit often. You MUST use good oil filters you MUST put fuel system cleaner through it regularly and/or use premium octane fuel. VWs are simply built with tighter tolerances and expect European style maintenance whether they're new or old. If you don't do it, then you won't have the VW for very long so my advice would be to sell it before you break it.

>What do you suggest?
Check out the forums, I used to have to run a different oil in my 1.8t.
There's no way to clean it without a rebuild afik

>200k miles
:^)

>>waste of money
>let me explain to you why thats bullshit.
>its not because people selling cars get the shitty conventional oil change thats 15$ at La mexicana los amigos tire primos tire shop. which equals stripped or over torqued drain plug

Yeah ok this makes sense. Didn't thought about that.

this.
different oils will mix slowly (within a 1000K). every flush will leave 1% of the oil residue. after 2, 3 flushes there's practically nothing left.
just a tip: drive the car right before flushing. when standing still different kinds of oil separate slowly. you want to flush it when it is as mixed as can be.

you done goofing?

>ignorance is bliss Ya'll

5k mi oil changes on regular oil. Made the switch to full synthetic, so I'm doing 10k mi. I do long trips though, my mom does short trips, so we change hers about yearly regardless of miles. All our engines look clean.

Normal, burns oil like every other vw, just watch the mustard it's common. I used to get that on my vw but I changed the pcv gaskets and a new oil cap got rid of the issue. Mustard just means you drive your car without it to operating temperature I used to get that alot

>Do I have oil sludge? It's a VW Passat 1.8T.
>I'm planning to change the oil within the next month. What do you suggest?

From the previous synthetic vs conventional oil thread, the best cleaning synthetic oil is Pennzoil Platinum Ultra. Someone even took photos of the engine over time and showed it cleaning the insides when the other oils didn't. That oil is also advertised by Pennzoil to be good for cleaning. The ultra is the cleaning version of their regular platinum synthetic oil, so don't get those two synth oils mixed up.

>What do you suggest?
Last rites. That, along with a shotgun you can suck-start.

OP, try what this guy is suggesting AND run a good quality engine flush through it before you change the oil - put the flush in, drive the car hard for around 10 minutes, then dump the oil while it's nice and hot.

Consider changing your oil more often, too.

Thanks. Any particular engine flush you recommend? It sucks that I live in Sweden, which means I can't get certain brand stuff like seafoam, auto-rx, or even that Pennzoil that was meantioned.

The main thing is "flushing" of the oil system. The cheap way of doing it is to get a cheap oil change somewhere for $19.95 to $29.95. It doesn't matter what oil as long as its clean and new. About one half quart of prior old oil is left in the engine from an oil change. If they are fast and don't wait a while for it to drain (five minutes) then maybe as much as one quart. The new fresh oil will dilute the dirty oil but importanly will also help move out some of the sediment and previous oil sludge into the new filter.

Drive around for 20 miles and then go to a cheap oil change place with synthetic oil such as a wal-mart supercenter with an oil and tire change service shop. It is assumed you researched if they have platinum ULTRA there or not. Wal-marts might only have regular pennzoil platinum synthetic and not the ultra, so you might have to go to autozone and buy 5 quarts of ultra in the small expensive one quart bottles there. I have yet to find cheaper 5 quart jugs.

The cheapest oil place that allows you to substitute in oil will probably be wal-mart. Get the cheapest oil change since you won't be using their oil and have them use your pennzoil platinum ULTRA oil to refill the car.

>Any particular engine flush you recommend?

You possibly don't need an engine flush as long as you tend to the problem NOW as the post suggested. The cheapest "flush" is to get a cheap oil change to get rid of the bad oil residue before you then use good oil. Doesn't your area sell pennzoil ultra? Surely mail order exists? Or is there some sort of price fixing or economic blockage against pennzoil in order to protect your local oil company from competition?

The previous Veeky Forums Synthetic vs Convention oil thread is archived at:
archive.4plebs.org/o/thread/14985876

There is a link there to the automotive forum posts with the time lapse photos showing pennzoil platinum ULTRA cleaning the insides. As everyone said before, don't confuse regular platinum with that ultra platinum oil. Really, pennzoil should have given that ultra version a different name altogether, ha ha.

>The previous Veeky Forums Synthetic vs Convention oil thread is archived at:

Holy shit thanks based user. I'll check out if I can get Platinum Ultra delivered to me.

Just don't overpay for it. Here in the USA at the supermarket, I saw today the regular Pennzoil Platinum full synthetic oil 100% derived from natural gas for $5.60 (five dollars, sixty cents US dollars). No ultra sold at the supermarket but the auto specialty stores like O'Reilly, Autozone (aka vatozone), and NAPA would have the Platinum Ultra which has all the extra detergents to fight a sludge problem.

I'm amazed that Pennzoil would even create a synthetic oil for fighting a sludge problem. None of the other major synthetic oil companies has made one (that I've seen in a consumer auto store). Just Pennzoil. The Ultra seems to be highly rated at that 540Rat oil database site too.